Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 20/21 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Some very cold air courtesy of the Polar Vortex is working it's way down South. Looks like some promising storm activity will meet up with the Polar Vortex and violate COVID social distancing rules and drop some cold smoke pow across a wide swath of the PNW into Tetons, Wasatch and Colorado Rockies.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Toadman, Finally, the normal La Nina effect for NA. With some spice from the third SSW episode Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have heard on the weather reports that there was a very high mb reading some where above the Arctic Circle of AK recently.

Some serious storm activity for the New England and Upper Midwest states with -50F wind chills this week too.

We need snow in my home state of Oregon. We are currently about 85% of normal water equivalent snow pack. Lots of little storms with small accumulations this season. But no really big events. Hopefully this storm delivers for us.

But this is that La Nina weather pattern that can develop in February with moist low pressure troughs coming off the Pacific that mix with cold Arctic air.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Woosh wrote:
@Toadman, Finally, the normal La Nina effect for NA. With some spice from the third SSW episode Cool

Jeremy Jones and Jon krakauer talk about the La Niña effect on the Colorado snowpack here
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLDZsk9g2FD/?igshid=1lc9cvyd1lzzg
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow: c'mon Nicola & remove the travel lockdown Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/18VAwdF0d7M
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Explanation in layman's terms please!
We're in Briançon, France, 1200m approximately. Wettezentrale gives 2m temp of -18 degrees on Sunday, but 850 hpa temp of -11 degrees.
As I understand, 2m temp is measured 2m off the ground (so 1202m?), so should be warmer than 850 hpa temp which is measured at 1500m?
Which should I be using?
Ta Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
so should be warmer than 850 hpa temp which is measured at 1500m?
Temperature inversion maybe: often colder in valley than at altitude
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
850 hpa temp which is measured at 1500m?

I don't think this is (necessarily) correct. I think the 850hPa level is however high above sea level that specific air pressure happens to be. That might on average correspond to 1500m but I think it varies quite a lot (presumably depending at least partly on how high or low the air pressure is in the region!).

If the general air pressure is low, I guess the 850hPa altitude would be higher than usual. Whereas in anticyclonic conditions, the 850hPa altitude would be lower.

It makes it quite tricky to directly extrapolate ground level temperatures from 850hPa values.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So is the 2m temp the more reliable?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@KenX, not sure which is more reliable, but I imagine they have different purposes, eg 2m is a proxy ground temp (less extreme than actual surface temp). For snow forecast reliability I'd always look at the 850hpa level, which is a more stable indicator of airmass temp at roughly 1500m (not worrying about the technical difference in whether it's actually 1400m or 1600m because the margin for error in snowline is pretty wide anyway).

So for sunday it looks like temp inversion most of the day, apart from lunchtime when the effect of the sun is strongest. Looking at PdS 1200m, the 850hpa temp is stable at roughly -8c for 20 hours, while the 2m temp goes from -16c overnight to -5c at midday and then -13c into monday night.

I suspect there is an issue with models and the timing of their snow forecasts, in that they seem to over-estimate snowfall during the day and underestimate evening / nighttime snowfall.....just a hunch but maybe the models rely too much on 850hap temps and not the more variable 2m temp.

So model resolution (grid size) and topography aside, I'd say 2m is more reliable for how it will feel, and the quality of snow. Whereas 850hpa is a better indicator for snowline. I could be wrong Very Happy

The 15/16th looks pretty settled in the west now, no sign of any undercut....so the mean charts were more reliable in this instance.

Scandi high pressure is hard to shift though, so maybe there will be a second attempt at undercut around 21-22 feb. But beyond this week it is looking very dry and trending back towards average temps in the NW

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thursday could be a day for slightly sickening webcam watching in the uk. The air should be clear and very cold everywhere. Down below minus 20c at Braemar Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow has arrived for the PNW. Working it's way through the Sierra's as well. Going to be a good few days for a whole bunch of ski resorts in multiple states over the next 4-5 days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Toadman wrote:
Snow has arrived for the PNW. Working it's way through the Sierra's as well. Going to be a good few days for a whole bunch of ski resorts in multiple states over the next 4-5 days.

Storm came in late and a bit scattered and without much energy. Some warm air that was in place seems to have been pushed up as the cold air came in from the North causing an inversion for the South Cascades. For the North Cascades the cold air was already in place but not much moisture.

Shoveling the sidewalk this morning was quite easy as the snow was dry and light. Not so for the ski resort with heavier snow and temps that were about 7 degrees warmer.

The next wave is coming in later tonight, but that too is coming in behind the original forecast from 48 hours ago. Possibly it stalls out as it arrives with some NW flow coming out of Northern Cali and meets up with the colder SW flow. Still looks like they are calling for anywhere from a foot to two feet between Friday night into Sunday morning for the Central and South Cascades.

Montana ski areas closed on Friday due to Arctic temps in the -20f-25f range and wind chills to -50f. Brrrr!!!

Jackson Hole and Sun Valley should also see a foot or so as the PNW storm works its way East over the weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very jealous of you guys in north america. In Europe spring starts next week...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure if I'd be jealous of energy prices in the US.....nat gas and elec shooting up 1000's of %. And personally I am done with this cold...quite looking forward to some spring (summer?) weather for the rest of Feb

Starting at the top, strat winds have recoverd back to average (black line), and are forecast to continue strengthening for another week or so

Similar picture lower down in the atmosphere....AO heading positive from extreme negative readings last week.....been solidly -AO since November

Huge shift in GFS ensembles from my last post above, almost 10 degrees warmer for rest of Feb than was showing just 5-6 days ago (eg 22-24th feb), with a final snow flurry on 18/19th (NW)

ECM mean (day8) show's Canada and eastern half of NA still cold and snowy, while high pressure over Europe is stuck between deep Atlantic and north Russia lows

Leading to some way above avg temps

snow report
Excellent cross country skiing conditions in downtown Portland, Oregon this past weekend.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/skiers-take-over-nw-portland-for-stumptown-birkebeiner-race/283-c437b1f4-94c3-4ff7-b871-049f1c5c8867
ski holidays
Get out the t-shirts and Piz Buin next week Shocked
snow report
Charlieehr wrote:
Very jealous of you guys in north america. In Europe spring starts next week...

Depends on where you are at.

I guess Texas is going to be colder than Switzerland.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-cold-snap-why-texas-181730836.html

The state is seeing some of its coldest temperatures in more than 30 years, with some areas breaking records that are more than a century old.

Parts of Texas hit 0F (-18C) on Sunday, and weather warnings are going to stay in place through the week.

According to the US National Weather Service (NWS), this is down to an "Arctic outbreak" that originated just above the US-Canada border, bringing a winter snow storm as well as plummeting temperatures.

Cold air outbreaks such as these are normally kept in the Arctic by a series of low-pressure systems, the NWS said. However, this one moved through Canada and spilled out into the US last week.

Temperatures in the city of Dallas for example will reach a high of 14F (-10C) on Monday when it should be more like 59F (15C) at this time of year.

For the first time in the US state, all 254 counties are under a winter storm warning, US media report. The temperature in Dallas is already colder than in Anchorage, Alaska, CBS News reports.
ski holidays
Looking like Quite a flip to late spring weather by the end of February. Freezing level potentially well above 3000m.
latest report
More storms rolling in off the Pacific for North America. The Polar Vortex has made its way down to the Mexico border. I don't believe Trump's wall will stop it if it decides to continue heading South. But, it appears to be headed NE toward the New England states after dropping the temps from Texas all the way through Oklahoma, Tennessee and up through Pennsylvania and into New England.

Mt Baker hit 500" (12.7 meters) for the season already. Cascades are finally back to about normal snowpack for this time of year.
snow conditions
Can someone help me with a GFS map like this for Stuhlek in Austria (nr Vienna). Thanks
https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/ens_image.php?geoid=10768&var=201&run=0&date=2020-11-22&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Can someone help me with a GFS map like this for Stuhlek in Austria (nr Vienna). Thanks
https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/ens_image.php?geoid=10768&var=201&run=0&date=2020-11-22&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

Found this but it doesn't have pressure only temp, precip, % cloud cover and wind speed.

https://www.meteoblue.com/de/wetter/vorhersage/multimodelensemble/stuhleck_Österreich_2764064

There is a weather station at nearby Semmering so maybe there's more weather data available for Semmering (aka Hirschenkogel). Semmering is around 500m lower than Stuhleck though.
snow report
@BobinCH, follow this link then on the upper left hand corner you can search for any town you like (you might need to search for a larger nearby town than really small villages though, like here for Semmering instead of Stuhleck): https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?model=gfs&lid=ENS&var=201&bw=1&geoid=2386
ski holidays
"Spital am Semmering" @ 800m is closest to Stuhleck (circa 1800m)

ski holidays
DB wrote:
"Spital am Semmering" @ 800m is closest to Stuhleck (circa 1800m)

Perfect. Thanks
latest report
Seeing pics of people's bathtubs with frozen water in Texas. (4 million Texans without power) Lots of storm damage and of course major vehicle pile ups on the highways. Tomorrow should see 4"-8" of snow across a long swath of the South and Central USA all the way up into New York City and temps about -5C to -8C from Tennessee to Boston.

Lots of record cold temps for Texas. Crazy seeing snow in places like Houston.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t-s&ei=UTF-8&p=houston+snow+storm+2021#id=1&vid=7e9df35334208e683de9cb11fbfbf46a&action=click
latest report
Insane nukeage going on in Little Cotton Wood Canyon, UT past 48 hours. 61" snow past two days. Lots of large natural slides, closing the road (210) up the canyon. Scroll down the feed to see some of the vids and pics on the conditions and extreme avy danger.

https://twitter.com/UDOTcottonwoods/status/1362142485057658880
ski holidays
Pretty dire outlook for our part of the World Sad

Not that I think too many care Laughing

That Saharan sand is causing carnage as it just absorbs the heat and then melts everything around it.

Our patio is more akin to what you'd expect to see the middle of April and we have weeds starting to sprout!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spring is here in the West Alps... sun feels a nice on the skin tbh, but I was hoping for some more powder turns this season... Is this super-warm-wave likely to stay for march? Puzzled
snow conditions
@Weathercam, we literally had the same concern at the exact same time.
latest report
@Charlieehr, impossible to say about March, but certainly rest of feb looks like a stuck pattern....signs of a cooling back to average temps beginning of March on GFS ensembles, but more likely due to some easterly airflow under the euro high pressure, so still relatively dry signal...too far to worry about though

ECM mean day 10 shows more cold into central NA, and the block firmly in place over europe....hints of something colder from the NE

Here's a pic of Lac Leman after 'la bise' a few days ago, my wife and a group of friends have been cold water swimming all winter, it's all the rage if you are tough enough (I'm not Madeye-Smiley) .....they were swimming in snow storms at one point.
#openthelifts

latest report
Just seen this.....

>> Sable du SAHARA, le retour !
En effet et selon toute vraisemblance, un nouvel épisode de poussière désertique est à attendre dès dimanche soir et jusqu'à mardi au moins sur les Alpes-du-Sud.
À nouveau, la concentration en sable pourrait être importante mettant à mal le manteau neigeux.
Ce sable pourrait ensuite rester en suspension dans l'air une partie de la semaine prochaine dans des quantités moindres.

@Charlieehr, was that you yesterday going to clamber up that couloir outside Cervieres?

And @polo, likewise, my OH and daughter back in the UK have now done 50 consecutive days in the sea!

ski holidays
Quote:

@Charlieehr, was that you yesterday going to clamber up that couloir outside Cervieres?

Sadly I wasn't Sad @Weathercam, I was the guys sitting at his desk for 40 hours straight haha.

And sand is back here indeed...already looking quite martian.
snow conditions
Some mates are worrying that the season is over. Nonsense I say.

GFS FI is breaking down the high pressure and bringing back some atlantic or possibly NE flow.....anything from 5th March onwards is the next window of hope per the ensembles.

Still a sea of high pressure on the day 10 mean charts below, but there are signs the euro block is retrogressing out into the Atlantic where we need it. Just need to lose the residual heights over UK / Scandi and it will snow in the alps.

ECM

GEM

GFS
ski holidays
@polo, Blimey I’ve been waiting for this worry , in a normal year this thread goes into meltdown if we have an anticyclone over the alps for two to three weeks somewhat quieter because of the circumstances. If I could I would have returned from a great half term weeks skiing in perfect sunshine with the crowds dispersed over the mountain rather than contained because of bad weather , perfect . Of course the seasons not over , March can always be a snowier month and with this season being in the cold side I suspect we will have a sting in the tail to come .
ski holidays
Forecast shaping up for some decent snow accumulation over the next 48 hours in the PNW. AR with some cooler temps = copious amounts of snow. Maybe a meter between Thursday night into Saturday for the North, Central and South Cascades.

Already quite a bit in the mountain passes East of Seattle.

https://twitter.com/SnoqualmiePass/status/1364721477254213640?s=19
snow report
@Rob Mackley, yep this dry spell is gonna stretch over a month in most places, we've seen anticyclones last 6 weeks in bad years, but this year of course had a very good dec and jan so I guess it balances out.

@Toadman, nice avi blast vid....took out a lot of trees and made a new piste Skullie

Here's the latest model output..

Day 6, good agreement for high pressure to amplify NW towards Greenland / Iceland, but europe still blocked, here's UKMO

Day 8/9, cold air arrives from the NE, again decent agreement given the lead time....best is ECM

Day 10 and beyond...

ECM 00z keeps a ridge to the west and a very cold NE flow to the alps (coldest)
GEM 00z flattens the high, bringing in strong NW flow (snowiest)
GFS 00z halfway house, leaves alps stuck under high pressure (worstest)
snow report
We still have sand in the air and a pollution alert in the isere

This was Wednesday morning

It is like April here, 20C+ in the valleys, the days are quite short but the problem with spring snow in February is that it goes from dangerous ice to mushy mush very quickly. Season is dead below 1400 meters, there is still some base above but it depends how long the heatwave and drought lasts. Quantity of new ski tourers and lack of options means more and more people chasing less and less snow.

Still there's always cycling, like last year.
latest report
davidof wrote:
.....Season is dead below 1400 meters, there is still some base above but it depends how long the heatwave and drought lasts. Quantity of new ski tourers and lack of options means more and more people chasing less and less snow.

Still there's always cycling, like last year.

Yes as above, though I've not been out on the XC trail in the valley to see how that's been holding our this past week.

If we do get snow and temps are not really cold then that new snow will disappear really fast.

South facing slopes with the sand now are just a nightmare the way the melt is occurring, the equivalent of sastrugi.
snow conditions
February has been a good month for many BC and PNW ski areas reporting over 3 meters of snow fall during the month. More on the way to end the month.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy