Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver lifespan?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got an Orotvox 3+ that I bought in 2013, so next season it'll be 12 years old. I've been reading about lifespan of these devices and see some recommendations saying to replace every 10 years if not sooner.

Mine has been carefully looked after, transported in hand luggage, used around 12-15 days a year apart from 2020-2023 when I didn't get away, and batteries removed every season - so far less use than a professional would see in a single season. It self tests OK and is picked up in transceiver checks with partners.

I'm happy to replace since it's an essential safety device (only following good decision making, obvs.), but don't want to create e-waste or spend if I don't need to. If it still functions it could be a target for search practice in a field.

The new Diract voice looks pretty good, and the Mammut seems widely praised although I'm not as keen on the form factor or harness.

What are the thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many aerials has it got (2 or 3) and does it do signal differentiation in multiple search mode (ie it can tell between 2 or more receivers by the minute differences in signal). If the answer is 2 and no - maybe time to change - search tech has moved on
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 ariels and a good multiple search/marking feature, but it is getting old now. Thinking about replacing mine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most Canadian guides won't let you ski with one that's 10+ years old irrespective of use. {anecdotal knowledge use at your own risk - the antenna can "degrade" so the transmit frequency isn't quite right such that it won't be picked up in search - try a range check on yours}
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I’ve just retired my F1 Focus from 1999, probably a little overdue to be honest. Replaced with the Diract non-voice which I’m very happy with.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks.

Yup, feature set seems ok but outright age was what I was concerned (sceptical?!) about with regards range degradation and frequency drift.

I might ask Mrs Santa for exactly that next year, Diract non voice.

I can then conduct regular drills and range test the old one before deciding if it's even good enough for a backup or not.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The voice one I think is good if you’re relatively new to using a transceiver but if you’re moving up from something like an F1 is a massive improvement.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im in similar position with mammut pulse (red), purchased 10 years ago.

Will be able to sell the old one on ebay no probs, people will be using it for training etc, so no waste.

As contrary, something build 10 years ago could be much better quality then fresh products cutting costs of everything...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have transceivers much older than 12 years.

Easy enough to do a search test is it not?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I replaced a 3+ purchased when they first came out this season FWIW. Went for a Mammut Barryvox
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:

Easy enough to do a search test is it not?

I was thinking of that too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not that easy when you only have one...

If anyone near South Yorkshire wants to meet up to test range and practice searches at some point over summer then let me know!

But yeah, I can test the range. If that's all there is to it that's great. But the articles I said stated replace, not test, which is why I am checking.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got a lot of F1s and even a VS68. Great devices for getting found or finding one other guy. Not so great at solving multi-burials. Solution: avoid multi-burials.

One thing often overlooked/underreported is the very short range of early digital devices compared to the analoge ones. Only the latest models are on the same level. As for the Ortovox 3+, it's quite good at getting found because of the smart antenna, but I wouldn't expect great things when it comes to searching. So it's a good thing to lend out to a skiing partner.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If your transceiver is older than your phone and your phone is out of date then bin both of them and get new ones.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
If your transceiver is older than your phone and your phone is out of date then bin both of them and get new ones.

I got a shiny new phone last week. Flagship model, works super smooth. Much worse for outdoors than the old one from '17.
ski holidays
Tristero wrote:
As for the Ortovox 3+, it's quite good at getting found because of the smart antenna, but I wouldn't expect great things when it comes to searching. So it's a good thing to lend out to a skiing partner.

I think you've got that the wrong way around. If I had the choice I'd want my partner to have the best device for searching (for me).
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Tristero wrote:
As for the Ortovox 3+, it's quite good at getting found because of the smart antenna, but I wouldn't expect great things when it comes to searching. So it's a good thing to lend out to a skiing partner.

I think you've got that the wrong way around. If I had the choice I'd want my partner to have the best device for searching (for me).

Toofy Grin

But no. You don't need to lend out a beacon to someone you expect to find you in case of an avalanche. Just doesn't work like that.
snow conditions
Think of your transceiver as you would a parachute, just because it hasn’t had to save your life yet, are you willing to risk your life and someone else's?

Even if it’s relatively new, make sure the software is up to date. I’ve used FaceWest before to do mine, and you get a test certificate (on Barryvox’s ) from them showing its fully operational.

https://www.facewest.co.uk/Avalanche-Transceiver-Software-Updates.html
snow conditions
How often are parachutes typically retired?
latest report
A quick search suggests max of 10 years, depending on usage, with inspection/repacking/servicing every 6/12 months if not used.
latest report
Quote:

A quick search suggests max of 10 years, depending on usage, with inspection/repacking/servicing every 6/12 months if not used.

It isn't really time actually for your main, it is more number of jumps, time exposure to UV, where you jump (desert sands is abrasive, more life span if you land in a grassy field), any water exposure and where you pack it (inside/outuside and on what surface).

'Modern' canopies are made out of ZP which is probably good for like 3000 jumps taking into account variations with the above factors, and you need to have re-lines done on your main more frequently (maybe every 700ish jumps).

Reserves are a little different in that they are inspected every 6 months in the UK (different in other jurisdictions) and reserves of 10+ years would be totally totally normal. Maybe after 20+ years you might start to consider a new one even if its in good condition, but again it is highly dependent on number of reserve rides, number of repacks and how it has been stored. Age itself isn't a major depredating factor on modern reserves.
latest report
@kat.ryb, how interesting! every day a school day Little Angel

I'm not convinced a chute's a terribly close analogy to a transceiver, however? wink
snow conditions
Don't worry about replacing it (although the 3+ isn't my favourite transceiver) but you should get it re-certified by Ortovox. This is inexpensive and removes any doubt re frequency drift, antenna damage, etc.
latest report
Thank you, @kat.ryb.

under a new name wrote:
I'm not convinced a chute's a terribly close analogy to a transceiver, however? wink

But the analysis should be. In other words, not just a blanket number, provided by merchants motivated to increase their sale.
ski holidays
@abc, fair points, indeed.
latest report
I have a Barryvox that is approaching 18 years old. I have it serviced by Ortovox every couple of years to make sure it is working properly and for software upgrades. It works great but I was informed by someone much more knowledgeable than I, that Ortovox will stop servicing this model this year. That would suggest it is about time to change. New model due out this year too. Coincidence?
snow report
A bit off topic indeed, but the above post highlights my concerns over the blanket "10 year" statement on a transceiver from some manufacturers.
10 years at a pisteur, or 10 years as a recreational holidaymaker?

I am cautious. I want to be safe. But I would think inspect/check would cover it unless there's some repeatable degradation going on.

Same with bike helmets - the manufacturers all state 3-5 years, but this varies on storage, conditions, use, UV, transportation (soft bag or kicking around a van). Independent testing showed age wasn't a large factor in performance degradation.

If there's a case the 3+ isn't great in a search I may well relegate it to backup. It would be nice to quantify my decision though!

I actually just found that Ortovox do recommend a 2 yearly service after 5 years, with a 10 year disclaimer on repairs. 25 Euro plus shipping might be worth checking

https://help.ortovox.com/hc/en-001/articles/9086125479965-Avalanche-transceiver-check-up-or-repair-Costs-how-to#h_01HD15ZWHZZ2CJ8XRC4JF3XD1S
snow conditions
As a Pisteur, we get our transceivers revised/checked every year until the manufacturer says its too old. We have to do this as it must be manufacturer garenteed to be a primary search beacon.

The beacons are then used as beacons for the Piste basher drivers. We check them ourselves for frequency drift, transmit and search range ever year. They are used in this roll for 10 years if they stay withing specs. At this point we would consider them perfectly fine for personal safety devices. But the rulles dictate that we can keep them in (so called) frontline use

Then they become practice search beacons. We have some early Ortovox F1s kicking around, they still work fine. A fun challancge is watch one of the younger guys do a search with one of these!

So to answer your question. get your beacon checked ad stick with it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris wrote:
As a Pisteur, we get our transceivers revised/checked every year until the manufacturer says its too old. We have to do this as it must be manufacturer garenteed to be a primary search beacon.

The beacons are then used as beacons for the Piste basher drivers. We check them ourselves for frequency drift, transmit and search range ever year. They are used in this roll for 10 years if they stay withing specs. At this point we would consider them perfectly fine for personal safety devices. But the rulles dictate that we can keep them in (so called) frontline use

Then they become practice search beacons. We have some early Ortovox F1s kicking around, they still work fine. A fun challancge is watch one of the younger guys do a search with one of these!

So to answer your question. get your beacon checked ad stick with it.

The manufacturer doesn't know shiz about the state my transceiver, I will decide when it's "too old"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy