Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH, that's a good price for the Fenix 6 !!

Go one fess up how much was your 7 ?

I'm addicted to the sleep/stress/body battery measurements and it's frightening what even a mild alcohol intake can do, let alone a hefty sesh of booze can do to the figures!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, that's a good price for the Fenix 6 !!

Go one fess up how much was your 7 ?

I'm addicted to the sleep/stress/body battery measurements and it's frightening what even a mild alcohol intake can do, let alone a hefty sesh of booze can do to the figures!

I didn’t get a Fenix as the screen was poor
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just bought a 2nd hand Fenix 6 off a mate, I'll be selling the Fenix 5 plus sapphire if anyone is interested! Will get some pics and get it up on the buy/sell pages
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
After weeks without snow finally caved in to ski touring without an avi pack. Ready for the PdG!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH skimos in jeans wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno wrote:
@BobinCH skimos in jeans wink

Trés Français
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
After weeks without snow finally caved in to ski touring without an avi pack. Ready for the PdG!....

You're learning Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
After weeks without snow finally caved in to ski touring without an avi pack. Ready for the PdG!....

You're learning Laughing

Stubborn moi?

You’re not wrong about those sleep stats - the booze plays havoc!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Since getting a Fenix 6 pro last year I've really cut down my drinking too. Couple of nights last week (St Patrick's Day celebrations) my sleep score was in single figures. Shocked

Is the Epix display really better outdoors?

http://youtube.com/v/wPg_2OAhuEg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I binned off my Whoop band because it told me I’d had a crap night’s sleep no matter what I did (or, indeed, how I felt) and I found that quite a depressing way to start the day
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
... my sleep score was in single figures.
I'm a bit sceptical about some of their metrics.

All I have to do is walk to the pub and it gets really excited about my athletic prowess.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
Since getting a Fenix 6 pro last year I've really cut down my drinking too. Couple of nights last week (St Patrick's Day celebrations) my sleep score was in single figures. Shocked

Is the Epix display really better outdoors?

http://youtube.com/v/wPg_2OAhuEg

I only tried them indoors but after trying them side by side couldn’t get buy the Fenix after seeing the Epix screen. I guess if you’ve got a Fenix it’s probably not an issue
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
....Since getting a Fenix 6 pro last year I've really cut down my drinking too. Couple of nights last week (St Patrick's Day celebrations) my sleep score was in single figures. Shocked.......

I know what you mean about cutting back because of the figures if such a thing is possible for me Laughing

The sleep score is based on an algorithm of data produced by both the PulseOx & Optical Heart Rate sensors - I know when I've been on the lash I snore a lot and don't sleep as such but am more or less unconscious, and a US Coast Guard medic who tours with us said as we were all sleeping head to toe in a hut after a serious red wine session, that I more or less had sleep apnea when going to bed pissed!

We all know how when you don't drink that sleep can often be better, so the Sleep score and the stress score I admit to almost being obsessed with them!

It's got so bad, not only have I been cutting back but I've stopped drinking Cotes du Rhone at circa 14.5% and am now drinking good quality Beaujolais at 12% but before @BobinCH, makes the obvious quip, unfortunately, I'm at that age when red wine literally does my head in Laughing

Evidently, the hut guardians in the Mercantour still talk about the crazy group of Swedes and Brits who drank till the late hours and then were up early the next day doing big days Very Happy

And I found re Screen Resolutions like I've previously mentioned what watch face you select is important, I also have mine set to lighting up when I twist my wrist to view it.

Great App for cycling is MinuteCast very accurate at predicting precipiation for up to two hours.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What’s this strap for?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Top strap for diagonal ski carriage, but there again in the photo above you had them vertical on the side?

Is there a metal cable on the lower right hand side of the pack?

With a lightweight pack like that which is more designed for ski-mo would have thought carrying an ice axe was not in the design concept?

What do the instructions say? Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 25-03-22 9:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
I binned off my Whoop band because it told me I’d had a crap night’s sleep no matter what I did (or, indeed, how I felt) and I found that quite a depressing way to start the day

Yep. My Polar has no idea how to correlate my sleep score with how I feel. But my overnight min pulse most definitely shifts if I've had drinkies.
ski holidays
Quote:
Since getting a Fenix 6 pro last year I've really cut down my drinking too.
Not being into any of these gadgets, I don't understand the correlation...What's the link Puzzled Does it measure units consumed? Very Happy
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Not being into any of these gadgets, I don't understand the correlation...What's the link Puzzled Does it measure units consumed? Very Happy

Depends on the gadget. Some aim to assess sleep quality. Some use heart rate variability as an indicator of recovery. Both tend to nosedive following alcohol consumption. I'm not sure you need a watch to tell you alcohol is not good for sleep or recovery though Very Happy
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Depends on the gadget. Some aim to assess sleep quality. Some use heart rate variability as an indicator of recovery. Both tend to nosedive following alcohol consumption. I'm not sure you need a watch to tell you alcohol is not good for sleep or recovery though Very Happy

It seems boozing at the weekend is second only to staying in a mountain hut for wrecking sleep!

Hut did have other benefits though

snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
......It seems boozing at the weekend is second only to staying in a mountain hut for wrecking sleep.....

Totally agree, high altitude Huts are not conducive to sleep, even more so if you have a few drinks as well Laughing
snow report
Hope this is best place to post this: I'm new to ski touring, got the kit Jan 2020 then all plans delayed due to the C-word, did an avalanche training Feb 2021 & a guided 4day guided tour with 1st ascent ending in 3 of 4 us being swept away by an small avalanche & ended with catching C.. I'm not ready to give up though.. I have first 2 weeks of April to get back to the mountains, nothing booked as have been hoping for last minute snowfall before committing. imo Austria is looking the best at this moment. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions of an area to base myself for easy/beginner tours &/or companies that offer guided tours (as I'm not going to be a repeat customer of previous company), or where to find others looking for a buddy. I don't want to glide uphill on the side of a piste either. TIA
snow report
Weekend powder alert…
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
It seems boozing at the weekend is second only to staying in a mountain hut for wrecking sleep!

Wonder if the sleep score would improve over time as the wearing acclimatises during a longer stay at altitude.
ski holidays
Oceanfalls wrote:
I'm new to ski touring, got the kit Jan 2020 then all plans delayed due to the C-word, did an avalanche training Feb 2021 & a guided 4day guided tour with 1st ascent ending in 3 of 4 us being swept away by an small avalanche & ended with catching C.. TIA

Sounds like you have had an interesting intro to ski touring. I am based in the Ecrins around Briancon and normally this would be a great area for what your after, I make a free guidebook to the touring around here and there are some great tours for beginners. I work with lots of great guides and know lots of groups that head out skiing. But not this year very poor snow means it's not great option.

If you go down the guide option. You have two options pick an area and then try and find a guide or pick a guide and see where they are running their courses at the moment. If you pick a place first with out a solid recommendation for a guide, its pot luck on if you get a good guide. Considering your first experience I am not sure this is the best.
Quite a few guides especially British ones work different areas and go where the snow is best. If you have no set goals (eg certain mountains) then I think pick a very good guide, and see where they are working or can be working, that way you should have a great guide that can make the best of where you are and it may help put you back on track.

I can 100% recommend
Martin Chester - https://www.martinchester.co.uk
Bruce Goodlad - http://mountainadventurecompany.com

Both great guides and really know their stuff, plus nice guys. Drop them a line and see what they have to offer. I am sure some others on here can make some recommendations as well.
snow report
@Oceanfalls,
Maybe this helps
https://www.explore-share.com/backcountry-skiing-trips/austria/
latest report
For many years/ski tours I dealt with ISM, International School Mountaineering. @Oceanfalls,
They generally convene in Leysin, canton Vaud with tours in a variety of locations and standards.
Most seasons I think they run an introduction to ski touring which is very much a training and skills development course.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Weekend powder alert…

Ok I’ll bite …. Where what how ? Doesn’t look like GVA to me ?
snow report
@ecrinscollective, A huge thank you for responding.. Defo going to contact MC & BG. Personal recommendations are best. Hopefully 2022-23 will bring snow to southern Alps & I can check out your guidebook. How would I get one? TIA In the meantime hop the snow is falling down south at the mo'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, Thank you for the link.. I've added it to my list for next season. Have you done any trips with this group?
ski holidays
Oceanfalls wrote:
@DB, Thank you for the link.. I've added it to my list for next season. Have you done any trips with this group?

I haven’t done any trips with that specific group but I have done many of the trips that the group also does. ( I skitour with an Austrian group and we have enough know-how & experience to do trips like those in the link without a guide.)
snow conditions
mishmash wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Weekend powder alert…

More importantly, why are you wearing sunglasses indoors?
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
mishmash wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Weekend powder alert…

More importantly, why are you wearing sunglasses indoors?

America innit. Chips vibe
latest report
@oceanfalls here is a link to my online guidebook - https://www.ecrinscollective.com/guidebook/ski-touring

cheers
snow report
just back from an amazing weeks touring on Senja island in Northern Norway , hit the jack pot with over. 1.5m fresh snow in our 8 day trip , a very special place with endless options for great touring

http://youtube.com/v/9IwT6c8MDeU

sorry for the slideshow format , but gives a taste of the skiing
ski holidays
@Dabber, looks fantastic! And you aced the weather snowHead
snow conditions
Dawn raid. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…

http://youtube.com/v/XeBrGSYJ3xw
snow conditions
@Dabber, Excellent, a lot of that could have been Japan, especially the small trees Very Happy

@BobinCH, If you don't watch and just listen, you would expect a slalom stage, rather than a Wally offpiste touring on noodle skis rolling eyes
latest report
@PowderAdict, yep that was the bonus of the trip , small mature trees upto 500m perfect for storm days !!
latest report
A couple of tours this week chasing down the snow that fell on the Italian Frontiere on Friday.

On Monday I used the E-Mtb to see what conditions were like, riding it up to a valley before climbing up to the ridge, and it was really tough breaking trail in powder that was getting heavy and then combine that with the Spring touring mare of skins clogging up with 10cm of snow underneath as one went from warm snow at the bottom to cold snow further up.

A few years ago I bought some Nikwax Skin proofer, so applied that and it seemed to do the job, as I've often found that the supposed solution of waxing skins does not work too well.

So went back up there yesterday with @KenX, minus the bikes and scored some sweet lines.

http://youtube.com/v/vspQ6eM1SyQ
snow report
Weathercam, you cheated on the up! I didn't use my dog to drag me all the way to the ridge Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy