Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
@zzz, it will pack out in 10 minutes,
I've got the ZipFit GFT in my Zero G. completely changed the boot
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm started out a bit green

Last day of the Polaris festival

The pooch found the snow!

1250m of ascent on the Peaks. Tres bien!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good article on ski-touring with the family on the Fritschi site, they now produce bindings for lightweights Din 3-7

https://fritschi.swiss/en/skitouring-with-the-family/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam wrote:
Good article on ski-touring with the family on the Fritschi site, they now produce bindings for lightweights Din 3-7

ATK Candy 5 wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

ATK Candy 5 wink

And ATK Crest 8 Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

ATK Candy 5 wink

And ATK Crest 8 Cool

Shhhh! I just stole the Crest 8’s from my sons touring skis to mount on my new skis Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HammondR wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@zzz, you like them then? What liners they come with? .

https://www.wildsnow.com/32838/designing-the-tecnica-peak-a-discussion-with-stefano-mantegazza/ might answer your question

Thanks for that!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Finally, after four weeks we finally put the skis on.

As soon as I started climbing I thought this is going to be tough, breaking trail in the powder, but it was quite heavy as there was a layer of wind-blown powder, and on the flats, you'd hear mini whomps going on under you.

There had been quite a few slides and one was huge, and I'm not too sure if it was natural or not, being where there was a massive natural slide atop the Galibier road up from the Lautaret that nearly claimed a couple of kiters, and I think they have a gazex system up there?

Even on a traverse, it was a quiet slabby, so had me thinking all the time about route selection both up and down.

Ullr was finding the climb quite hard going and he was stopping and resting, and then we heard him crying at the back as he got himself into a snow-hole, so we decided to cut it short once we made it to the road.

Then had a long traverse back before I felt confident the descent would be safe, I never see cornices on the road like that!

So as you can see was pretty damn sublime, though not uber fine champagne powder, hoping that tonights clear sky might suck some moisture out, but I am being very fussy Laughing

And we had a couple of chamois make a guest appearance.

http://youtube.com/v/n9uduupFKpk

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, nice way to start the season!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
@Weathercam, nice way to start the season!

Don't think Ullr thought so!

It was amazing how he was knackered, it must have been the various layers, as we were on skis we were ok, but he must have been sinking right through them.

On the climb up he'd stop and rest and then cried when we carried on, you can imagine how the OH felt!

He's off games today; I'm going back up there, as too nice to waste, I'm also interested in what the very cold temps overnight have done to the snow-pack?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pictures look tremendous as always. Take great care on that dodgy snow- pack today.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HammondR, thanks for that link Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back up ther again today, without Ullr and OH - and headed off into the same sector as it was in the sunshine and still not too many people had been up there.

Great in that my tracks from yesterday were so much easier to skin in and a group of others has been along to, but they turned off to take another route*, then as I started to get more into the valley so mu skin track filled up with wind-blown, and what was 30cm deep yesterday I now skinned along the hard pack on top, so was not too bad but still a tough workout, some 3hrs and av hr 131.

Took a different route down and skied along that big slide I mentioned yesterday, basically, it started just to the right of my beanie (up on the ridge) and carried on a long way down.

Tracks covered up

And the slide

* as I was on my own I did a fair amount of filming & commenting on the terrain/snow-pack and route choice, just will take me a while to edit.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 6-12-22 18:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, looks like a good base. Hoping this is the year for La Grave!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, I've never seen the snow-levels so low up there, whole wide open gulleys that still need a good meter +, ones that we ski without a pause for thought as to what's below us, having seen all the rocks today, does make you think how easy a shark attack is.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, buy the dog a snorkel!
snow report
Wally quiver par excellence
snow report
Dog down....

Unfortunately yesterday Ullr was crashed into by a mate, though could have well been Ullr's fault as well.

We'd just climbed 1,150 up towards the Cucumelle and were traversing across to get to some beautiful lines, when it happened.

My mate also has a dog, who was with us, so it was just a horrible accident. We then skied the piste line back down, which had sort of been bashed with my mate doing most of the carrying.

OH met us and we rushed to the vet, initial appraisal was not as bad as we thought it could be, but when we went back four hours later we were told that in fact his Achilles was severed Sad

So he has a major dressing and splints to be in situ for six weeks, and then another two weeks after that, he can exercise freely.

The next few weeks he'll take some adjusting to his situation. We feel very down and my mate, not KenX, as you can imagine is traumatised, and as ever you ask yourself questions about the scenario and what could we have done to avoid it etc

But as the OH pointed out, the family and friends of the group that were caught in the avalanche two days ago near us, where there was one fatality are going through far far worse, and then a close friend has just found out he has terminal C Sad
latest report
@Weathercam, Sorry to hear all of that Sad
latest report
@Weathercam, a mate of mine did the same to his own dog ski touring. Severed Achilles. It was horrible at the time but the dog recovered quickly to full fitness. Atb
latest report
@zzz, thanks for that both my mate, OH & I need some encouragement etc
snow report
@Weathercam, hope for a quick recovery for the pooch and that you can get amongst that nice dump of fresh, cold pow to cheer you up!
snow conditions
In many respects the perfect thread to post too. Most people would think you would have to be a Wallie to contemplate "ski touring" in Scotland!
For those who look at Facebook find British Backcountry and be enthralled by pages of pictures, generally from Cairngorm of untracked powder fields.
Loads of the hardcore have put the skins on and climbed up through the ski area, bizarrely not operational.
One upload was from Glenshee with, again, fabulous conditions. Well worth a look.
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:
In many respects the perfect thread to post too. Most people would think you would have to be a Wallie to contemplate "ski touring" in Scotland!
For those who look at Facebook find British Backcountry and be enthralled by pages of pictures, generally from Cairngorm of untracked powder fields.
Loads of the hardcore have put the skins on and climbed up through the ski area, bizarrely not operational.
One upload was from Glenshee with, again, fabulous conditions. Well worth a look.

A Scottish chap I’ve skied with posted this yesterday!
snow report
Nice @BobinCH, South side of Cairngorm, view down to loch Avon??
snow conditions
Just as well mutley was off games*, or maybe that's why we saw them?

Local wildlife often put on a show up there, usually, it's boar, but I fear the hunters might have had a good season as I saw no tracks this time and usually their tracks are everywhere Sad

http://youtube.com/v/F3ip5JUBOUQ

Quite a technical tour and snow was not brilliant, plus weather was closing in and the OH was getting concerned......

*though think again he would have found it too deep & hard in places judging by the deer tracks
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:
Nice @BobinCH, South side of Cairngorm, view down to loch Avon??

I believe so! We were there in the Summer and some of those gullies looked like they’d be fun full of snow. Apparently you usually need to wait until March/April but conditions particularly good at the moment
snow report
Rory the golden in snow heaven

http://youtube.com/v/7WiVcMi-80E
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty nice sortie today, as avy risk still 4/5 opted for two laps (550m each) in one of our favourite sectors, rather than a big climb into more exposed terrain.

That said we followed a track rather than breaking trail, and it went all over the place, into some very questionable terrain, which fortunately had already gone in the last day or two.

The descent(s) were very sweet, and I gave the GoPro 360 to a visiting Swede, and the smile on his face says it all.

He's also feckin fit, though as he says he's not in prime condition, but he and his mate I know are doing a two-day SkiMo race in Sweden, 3,000m a day, and then he added that it's quite technical at times, requiring ice-axe, crampons and rappelling, along with exposed ridges and glaciers!

He also has the SkiMo technique of taking his skins off without taking his skis off down to a T Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/G5og4jKj8Lw
snow report
There's a white halo around the skiers in much of that, maybe a tad too much "shadows / highlight" compensation in post processing, at a guess. I think the original video may be a bit underexposed too, or at least it looks like it could take a bit more positive compensation. The contrast there looks hard to deal with. Dark clothes are really hard to light in stills or video too.
ski holidays
@phil_w, very observant Laughing the trouble was I was filming over the course of four hours, and when the days are so short light becomes an issue.

We were talking about the route we took as did others, and how it was an example of a heuristic trap of following a trail (and it was all over the place) rather than breaking a trail as it went into dubious terrain. I'm not too sure what I would have done/suggested if the terrain we were going across had not already gone?
latest report
Having trashed my touring skis (and ankle) last season I now need to get some new touring equipment. Been out of the game (and not on here) for a while - any equipment threads or opinions on which touring skis, bindings and skins to get? (max. 95mm ski waist, circa 70 kg naked body weight).
snow conditions
@Weathercam, uplifting video thank you! Everybody looks confident in the base and it looks clean too. Great outing.
ski holidays
@DB, think Bob has a recent thread with that exact question and he ended up on Volkl rise above? A fair few options in that thread from memory.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@DB, think Bob has a recent thread with that exact question and he ended up on Volkl rise above? A fair few options in that thread from memory.

Here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157809&start=40
snow report
Thanks @kitenski & @BobinCH.
latest report
Bindings - ATK crest, Marker Alpinist or Atomic Backland tour?

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/at-bindings/atomic-backland-tour

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/at-bindings/marker-alpinist
snow report
DB wrote:
Bindings - ATK crest, Marker Alpinist or Atomic Backland tour?

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/at-bindings/atomic-backland-tour

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/at-bindings/marker-alpinist

ATK over Alpinist every time. I have both
ski holidays
@BobinCH, currently weighing up similar question. Any reasons why? I had heard better things about the more recent iterations of the alpinist
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
@BobinCH, currently weighing up similar question. Any reasons why? I had heard better things about the more recent iterations of the alpinist

ATK is super easy to click into, very confidence inspiring (never had a pre-release even with 110g racing binding), metal vs plastic, din adjustable vs U spring, minimalist, light and just works exactly as it should. The Alpinist was better than Fritschi Xenic and its cheaper than ATK but even if you just looked at ease of clicking in I would always go ATK now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy