Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
@Dabber, you are so clearly in the wrong forum topic - this is touring for wallies! Your geo-choices clearly indicate you do not fall into that category. Fantastic scenery and experiences (and crazy lucky with the snow). Perhaps the OP can start a fresh topic “When ski-touring works just fine, thank you very much” …and if that new thread could omit all HR and Garmin stat details that would be even better.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grinning, thanks for the props , but I can testify to many "wally " moments on our trip , mainly involving the top 50 m of ascents and first turns thereafter , but can confirm no HR straps were worn or M/HR discussed over dinner . seriously tho , northern Norway and Iceland provide a perfect base for those thinking of getting into touring , so many uncomplex routes , no altitude issues , and fairly constant temps lead to a happy bunch of uphillers

not sure my next trip will be so easy though , off to Svalbard in may , few more big white hairy scary factors there Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I want to take the "Ski touring for wallies" course. Never tried touring but I'm really getting the urge to start.

I'm off to Zell/Kaprun over summer. Mostly for summer hols, but I may sneak off up the glacier. Is there such a thing as a "ski touring intro" course / guided touring? How do I even hire the right stuff?

(PS I've even got a fenix 6 so maybe I've got wot it takes to be a tourer)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AntonAusTirol, yes you can defo hire skis , skins , and avi equip in resort , depending on your boots you can get frame bindings that will take a regular alpine binding , but if you have tech ( pin ) inserts in your boots then tech bindings are the way to go , learning on piste or in bounds is a great way to work out the techniques for up hill travel and transitions , but next step is defo an "intro to touring " course , which should be easy to find in your local , not sure what would be running in the summer , but getting some work in on the summer glacier should be fun if they allow it .... welcome to the wonderful world of uphill travel snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cracking tour again today, was not too sure what to expect with the snow-pack after yesterday's sortie using lifts and getting a couple of off-piste lines in that were somewhat on the technical side to ski and again the wind kicked in big time, hence I was optimistic in thinking I might score some windblown cold snow.

Driving up did think it might not be too busy what with the election vote today, but arrived at the parking to see various big groups heading up all over the place, mainly from Grenoble area, judging by the plates and talking to some Brits living in Grenoble, who too were doing the M25 Pic Blanc tour.

Don't know why they had to come here as thought that they had more snow their way, and some of their navigation was something else, don't know who the designated leaders were but some were taking a strange/dangerous choice of route, and not least bearing in mind the evidence of slides all around the place & AVI risk, so skinning under a huge 35degree slope that often goes, was not the most sensible of options, mind you that had probably more to do with the fact that they started from the wrong parking area anyway rolling eyes

I took this shot as I was driving up of the sector and on the left of the picture you can just about make out the Galibier road and the big slope above it. The actual ski-tour route is more or less in the centre to the left of the gulley.

I ended up skinning up towards the Col centre of the picture and around 100m up from that to the right, having skinned along the ridge.

Quite tough as I was breaking trail in cold windblown snow for the last 50% or so of the route.

The hound was in fine form and nearly took me out as you'll see towards the end of the video Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/sEggSzTZf6o
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe give the Movement Race Prod a wide berth Skullie

Where’s the carbon?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's been a good three days of human powered (with a little lift assisted too) skiing in the Ecrins.

Anyone recognise the view?

Couloir Pelas Verney

A line in the Combeynots I've been waiting to ski all season.

http://youtube.com/v/t9AldbBgYKg&ab_channel=JackF
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JackSkier wrote:
It's been a good three days of human powered (with a little lift assisted too) skiing in the Ecrins.

Pan de Rideau?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
JackSkier wrote:

Pan de Rideau?

Bingo, she's not a gimme this year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JackSkier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
JackSkier wrote:

Pan de Rideau?

Bingo, she's not a gimme this year.

Looks a bit bony in there! Nice work
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, looks a lot less bony than it looked in mid March! It's actually got snow on it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JackSkier, that Couloir Pelas Verney looks well out of my league Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JackSkier wrote:

A line in the Combeynots I've been waiting to ski all season.

http://youtube.com/v/t9AldbBgYKg&ab_channel=JackF

That looks like a cracker!

Hope it’s a good season over that way next season and we can follow your 2022 tracks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seconded; that line looks awesome. Snow looks bang on for steeps too
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, absolutely perfect snow for steep skiing, just a shame there's still so many sharks lurking about making it all a bit more puckering than it should be. Nevertheless, probably the best four days skiing of my albeit short life.

I went back to Combeynots for a spicier and a bit scary variant of the same face today, nothing in any of the topos but I'm sure it must have been skied given the frequentation of the place.

http://youtube.com/v/o81kIiAJ-6Y
latest report
Mate finally managed to climb and ski North Face Mont Blanc couple of days ago.

What with Covid and him having long covid it's been a tough wait to achieve it.

He said it was super technical even with four years of hard training, with the ridge being very difficult, in a very cold wind, breaking trail whilst others were turning back, he thinks they were the only ones to summit doing it that way on the day?

Anyway, the FatMap route is pretty impressive, so you can all download it and then off you go Laughing

https://fatmap.com/adventureid/31819823/mt-blanc-north-face
snow conditions
@JackSkier, nice! I like the soundtrack Laughing How puckering was the downclimb? Dropping a ski there and you'd be in trouble!
latest report
@Sharkymark, the downclimb wasn't too bad with crampons. Before that was the scary part, two hanging snow ramps above huge cliffs, with two very exposed traverses full of rocks. Not something I want to be doing too regularly!
snow report
JackSkier wrote:
@Sharkymark, the downclimb wasn't too bad with crampons. Before that was the scary part, two hanging snow ramps above huge cliffs, with two very exposed traverses full of rocks. Not something I want to be doing too regularly!

Ballsy stuff! On your own too by the looks of it. Enjoyed the vid - get your hands on a 360 cam if you can for a wider field of vision
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Mate finally managed to climb and ski North Face Mont Blanc couple of days ago.

What with Covid and him having long covid it's been a tough wait to achieve it.

He said it was super technical even with four years of hard training, with the ridge being very difficult, in a very cold wind, breaking trail whilst others were turning back, he thinks they were the only ones to summit doing it that way on the day?

Anyway, the FatMap route is pretty impressive, so you can all download it and then off you go Laughing

https://fatmap.com/adventureid/31819823/mt-blanc-north-face

Isn’t that a lot of Serac/avi exposure versus going up the ridge. I’m vaguely tempted by another 3 Monts attempt if end May / start June conditions are good
snow report
Record with a twist!

On April 24, Jack Kuenzle, 26, summited and descended Oregon’s 11,254-foot Mount Hood in record time: 1 hour 31 minutes 31 seconds. The route’s 5,254 feet of elevation gain included an extended technical section involving a narrow ridge and a steep chute. He beat the existing fastest known time (FKT) by 13 minutes. His ascent alone—1 hour 16 minutes—was also completed in record-breaking time.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/snow-sports/mount-hood-fkt-jack-kuenzle/
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Record with a twist!

On April 24, Jack Kuenzle, 26, summited and descended Oregon’s 11,254-foot Mount Hood in record time: 1 hour 31 minutes 31 seconds. The route’s 5,254 feet of elevation gain included an extended technical section involving a narrow ridge and a steep chute. He beat the existing fastest known time (FKT) by 13 minutes. His ascent alone—1 hour 16 minutes—was also completed in record-breaking time.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/snow-sports/mount-hood-fkt-jack-kuenzle/

Impressive! But probably means he’s beyond Wally status?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, his dress code gets him into the Wally status imho Eh oh!
ski holidays
his dress code gave him a reservation for the skin cancer center

sorry for saying that, but i really dont understand how the hell are some people so stupid
snow report
Think I mentioned a mate of mine was flying up to Tromso with his two sons, renting a car and doing his own trip around Lyngen.

And he seems to be doing really well so far with the conditions.

Day One

https://www.strava.com/activities/7109332587

Day Two

https://www.strava.com/activities/7113202208

Meanwhile, I'm down near Tarifa and the winds are nukin and your's truly doesn't have the bottle to initiate myself, kitesurfing, in these conditions, few years ago I would have been out there Sad
snow conditions
Think I mentioned a mate of mine was flying up to Tromso with his two sons, renting a car and doing his own trip around Lyngen.

And he seems to be doing really well so far with the conditions.

Day One

https://www.strava.com/activities/7109332587

Day Two

https://www.strava.com/activities/7113202208

Meanwhile, I'm down near Tarifa and the winds are nukin and your's truly doesn't have the bottle to initiate myself, kitesurfing, in these conditions, few years ago I would have been out there Sad
snow conditions
Feels like the season is drawing to a close unless we get some precipitation.

After 4 days of waiting around in refuges and turning around due to avalanche conditions, I finally managed to get score two big objectives in the Ecrins massif.

http://youtube.com/v/57aJCcd5Es0&ab_channel=JackF
ski holidays
Jerry is back snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/xMbe5fRVOkc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At least you've got some skiing in!!

Hows the ski bases?
snow report
kitenski wrote:
At least you've got some skiing in!!

Hows the ski bases?

Time for some new skis snowHead
ski holidays
@BobinCH, loved the grunting as you knew you were going down when the shark gotcha. Did you boot pack that?
snow conditions
Grinning wrote:
@BobinCH, loved the grunting as you knew you were going down when the shark gotcha. Did you boot pack that?

SkE-lift to Ruinettes and then skinned
snow report
@BobinCH, ha ha! Love the SkE-lift - I think that particular lift will get shut down in a few weeks
snow report
First time out today on new boots. Zero G Peak. Sub 1kg. Noticeably more fore/aft movement on the up and very similar on the down to my old Zero G Scouts. Progressive flex but slightly more upright. Need to adjust the forward lean.
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
First time out today on new boots. Zero G Peak. Sub 1kg. Noticeably more fore/aft movement on the up and very similar on the down to my old Zero G Scouts. Progressive flex but slightly more upright. Need to adjust the forward lean.

Very nice! Glad to hear you like them. I just ordered the Carbon version
snow report
@BobinCH,
I think you’ll like them.
snow conditions
@zzz, you like them then? What liners they come with? I found my 0-Gs to be too upright till I finally replaced the liner.
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Not sure tbh. It will do until it packs out and I have to do some swappage.
latest report
zzz wrote:
@BobinCH,
I think you’ll like them.

I like them snowHead
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@zzz, you like them then? What liners they come with? .

https://www.wildsnow.com/32838/designing-the-tecnica-peak-a-discussion-with-stefano-mantegazza/ might answer your question
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy