Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North America West Coast Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Snow everywhere. Wish I was at Whistler this week.

And on the not so good news front, inbounds avi at Silver in Idaho kills two poor bugs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/08/idaho-avalanche-silver-mountain/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mt Baker got 8ft of fresh, the past week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gortonator wrote:
Snow everywhere. Wish I was at Whistler this week.

And on the not so good news front, inbounds avi at Silver in Idaho kills two poor bugs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/08/idaho-avalanche-silver-mountain/

Hadn't seen that. With the temp changes, the snow pack has definitely been sketchy out of bounds in certain areas.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Finally wrote up trip report from over Xmas - Fernie, Kimberley, etc here - https://gortonator.blogspot.com/2020/01/xmas-and-new-year-road-trip.html

and day at Castle Mountain here - https://gortonator.blogspot.com/2020/01/a-glorious-day-at-castle-mountain.html

Lots of pics - Castle was amazing!

Looks like recent storms have fixed up Fernie et al, so hopefully winter has arrived more or less everywhere finally! It's MLK weekend here next weekend, so we might just head north again to find some real Canadian snow! Or Idaho. Or Montana ... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whistler needs to get the alpine open.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ptspeak wrote:
Whistler needs to get the alpine open.

Presumably, this is due to safety reasons? ie so people don't die as they dd at Silver? It's been a tough year as there's a very hard slidy layer underneath all this new stuff, I believe?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^ +1.

From Avalanche Canada for Sea to Sky.

"In parts of the region near the bottom of the snowpack around 150 to 200 cm deep, sugary faceted grains and a hard melt-freeze crust exist from mid-November. This is is an indicative snowpack setup for large and destructive avalanches. The likelihood of human-triggered avalanches decreases as the layer gets deeper but the consequence of triggering it would be severe."
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
like i said - slidy layer Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ptspeak, @gortonator, @sweaman22, we were out touring in whistler late/mid December and some of our extended pit tests were quite scary , and some of those were in places that are normally considered as safe as houses , the PWL from November will be a factor in the coastal range for the whole season

I believe there has also been high winds combined with the recent heavy snow that add another level to the alpine management , cold weather on the way and some great tree skiing to be had soon
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Forecast calling for some deep, cold, windy storminess. Mt Hood on target for about 4 plus feet of snow from Thursday night/Friday morning into Monday. Mt Bachelor around 5 feet possible into Monday as well. But that wind! Gusts up to 55 mph! Will mean no upper mtn lifts spinning. It will be cold! Wind chill will be negative numbers, so bundle up ladies and gentlemen!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Toadman wrote:
Forecast calling for some deep, cold, windy storminess. Mt Hood on target for about 4 plus feet of snow from Thursday night/Friday morning into Monday. Mt Bachelor around 5 feet possible into Monday as well. But that wind! Gusts up to 55 mph! Will mean no upper mtn lifts spinning. It will be cold! Wind chill will be negative numbers, so bundle up ladies and gentlemen!

sounds like Winter to me SmileSmileSmile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here's the weather synopsis for Crystal Mtn. Wouldn't be surprised if upper mtn. lifts experience wind holds.

Weather Synopsis by Ski Patrol Forecaster, Steve Gately. Updated 7:20am 1/10/20: A strong winter storm system will move through the region early this morning bringing heavy mountain snow and strong to extreme S/SW winds. Light to moderate snow showers continue through Saturday before another strong winter system is forecast to impact the area Sunday.

Friday: Heavy snow. 10-15” possible. Snow levels increasing to 2,500ft by the evening. Strong to extreme S/SW winds at ridgetops.

Friday Night: Heavy snow. 7-10” possible. Snow level 2,000ft. Strong to extreme S/SW winds at ridgetops.

Saturday: Snow. 4-8” possible. Snow levels 2,000-2500ft. Strong W/SW winds.

Saturday Night: Snow. 4-8” possible. Snow levels 1,500-2,000ft. Strong W/SW winds.

Weather Outlook: Saturday has the potential to produce higher snow total values then forecast. The models are showing a decent chance for orographic enhancement. This will depend on wind strength and direction. Another strong winter storm is set to impact the region on Sunday. There is still however a lot of uncertainty surrounding exact timing and accumulations.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mt Bachelor forecast looks very promising... Toofy Grin

This AfternoonSnow. High near 27. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 28 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

TonightSnow. Steady temperature around 19. Wind chill values as low as -1. Windy, with a west wind 30 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

SaturdaySnow. Areas of blowing snow after 10am. Temperature rising to near 23 by 10am, then falling to around 15 during the remainder of the day. Wind chill values as low as -5. Breezy, with a west wind 26 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Saturday NightSnow. Low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -4. Windy, with a west wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

SundaySnow. High near 22. Windy, with a west wind 26 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

Sunday NightSnow. Low around 12. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

MondaySnow. High near 17. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just taking the low end of the forecast accumulation comes out to 49"! I'll go with the pessimistic number and be quite happy with 4 feet of snow. If it turns out that we get 5 feet, I won't complain! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow stake at Bachelor hit 20" for the overnight snow total. As was predicted a lot of lift closures due to winds. But the snow didn't stop and refills were a plenty.

Almost waist deep in some spots. Knee deep every where else!

Tomorrow will be a repeat of today. But a bit colder
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Toadman, Awesome.
What's your favourite areas to ski when the snow is deep in the North West?
latest report
@Toadman, Looks amazing!
snow conditions
jamtastx wrote:
@Toadman, Awesome.
What's your favourite areas to ski when the snow is deep in the North West?

I like Crystal Mountain, WA for skiing the deep stuff. Plenty of steeps, trees and bowls. They also have some really quality hike to terrain, through their back country gates. So once patrol has opened up the main runs, they get to work on opening up the hike to terrian.

Sun Valley is also another great place, as is Mission Ridge in Eastern Washington. Small hill but not as crowded as some ski areas.
snow report
At least another foot for Sunday, and then a foot more for Monday in the Cascades. Temps will stay cold. Very unusual to have moisture coming out of the Gulf of Alaska combined with cold temps. No complaints though.
latest report
Dabber wrote:
@Ptspeak, @gortonator, @sweaman22, we were out touring in whistler late/mid December and some of our extended pit tests were quite scary , and some of those were in places that are normally considered as safe as houses , the PWL from November will be a factor in the coastal range for the whole season

I believe there has also been high winds combined with the recent heavy snow that add another level to the alpine management , cold weather on the way and some great tree skiing to be had soon

Not a fan of tree skiing or avalanches. I’m sure there will be plenty of terrain open. I moved my Verbier trip to Early March due to their 3 week snow drought and schedule whistler. It’ll be my 5th trip there in 5”6 years. However, I did not do as thorough research as I usually do. I also violated my first rule of early season snow: always go to Utah.
latest report
My younger brothers is up at Crystlal Mtn. WA this morning, where the snow stake shows 9" and dumping. Nice and light snow for the Cascades.

where is the closest key bank to my location

I woke to a few inches of snow in the driveway. Snow blew right off the windshield. That boded well for the extra 2,000 of elevation I was about to ascend to the goods. Very Happy

Did a early morning hike with some like minded folks to sample the 6+ inches that fell overnight. Lots of wind transported snow.

Waist deep, light goodness was found, so it was up for 2nds, it was so good!

As I have mentioned previously, this storm track is to continue into Monday with low snow levels. As I type it is snowing lightly out my window, here in Bend.
snow report
Bachelor reporting 11" overnight. Crystal at 10". Jackson Hole clocked in with 8". Wasatch should see about 10" today. They had a good weekend with about 2 feet of snow.

Bachelor is in the bullseye of the storm track right now with another foot expected today, and then again on Tuesday with another foot plus. High winds will keep upper lifts closed. Snow crews will have a lot of work to dig out the lifts on the the NW side of the hill when things start to calm down on Wednesday. Snow totals since Friday are at 5 feet! Not bad to get things back to normal for the season.

Wednesday should see the Tahoe resorts get more into the action. That storm is forecast to track over the San Juans of SW Colorado and should also get Southern Utah and Taos, NM
latest report
Hope you can get some of that Bachelor action this week. My friends have just headed down there for the rest of the week.

Skied Mission this weekend. Good falls, cold, wind blown refills and faceshots off the Ridge. Winter is here now!
snow report
Had to shovel the driveway this evening. Lightly snowing in Bend right now. Good time for those who can get here for the rest of the week. Forecast calling for about 10" over night and might see another 10" during the day. Snow should be nice and light. Winds should also be a bit less tomorrow as well. Maybe they get Northwest and Outback open late Tuesday? But my guess is it will be Wed. before they start spinning at least the Outback chair. Would be nice to see the Summit chair spinning. That would be epic!

Sadly, work duty calls, with meetings and other commitments. Might go for a pre-dawn tour up the Cinder Cone before work on Sunday though! Looks like another storm fixing to come in end of the week. Winter is definitely here!
ski holidays
It's like a wash cycle here. Rinse and repeat. Another 10" over night for the Cascades. Blower pow will be on tap for those lucky enough to get up to Mt. Bachelor today. Will snow most of the morning and then taper off in the afternoon. Winds will not be as strong as they have been the past 4 days. Crystal Mt. reporting 9" overnight.

For those in the Colorado and Utah areas, they should see some storm activity around Friday. Storm track has shifted so Northern Utah and Steamboat should get about 10" or so from this storm. Tetons also look to get about 10" or so on Friday. I hear reports that Jackson Hole has received about 7 feet of snow in the month of January. Good start to 2020!
latest report
gortonator wrote:
Hope you can get some of that Bachelor action this week. My friends have just headed down there for the rest of the week.

Skied Mission this weekend. Good falls, cold, wind blown refills and faceshots off the Ridge. Winter is here now!

Your friends are in for a good time! Looks like I will be shoveling the driveway for the 5th or 6th time in as many days...Snowing out my office window right now. Hard to think about work!
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:
gortonator wrote:

Your friends are in for a good time! Looks like I will be shoveling the driveway for the 5th or 6th time in as many days...Snowing out my office window right now. Hard to think about work!

You don't look very good to me Wink
latest report
Some serious snow totals being racked up in Jackson Hole.

https://www.jacksonhole.com/blog/record-breaking-january-2020/?utm_source=jackson-hole-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blog&utm_content=N011520&spMailingID=41548102&spUserID=ODIxOTQzMDM5ODA5S0&spJobID=1681422551&spReportId=MTY4MTQyMjU1MQS2

And the snow in Oregon is legendary....

https://www.skihood.com/about-us/meadows-blog/posts/2020/01/major-winter-storm-opens-legendary-heather-canyon-best-powder-conditions-in-a-dec
snow conditions
waiting in our campervan in Truckee just down the road from squaw. Big dump due tomorrow morning. Should be exciting, high winds likely to keep everything shut until tomorrow pm or even friday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LittleBullet wrote:
waiting in our campervan in Truckee just down the road from squaw. Big dump due tomorrow morning. Should be exciting, high winds likely to keep everything shut until tomorrow pm or even friday.

Forecast calling for 80 MPH winds at upper elevations. 10"-20" forecast for Thursday. Friday seems like the better day to get after it. Forecast for next week starting to shape up for the Sierra's for more storm activity.
snow conditions
Jackson Hole with 15 straight days of reported snow fall. Total accumulation of 135" (343 cm!) Very Happy

Today should be day # 16, and then things go quiet for a bit as a high pressure builds in, and the storm wave moves East toward New England, where they badly need some snow after a dry and warm spell.
latest report
Dumping in Bend. Has been most of the day. I think it might be snowing harder here than up on the hill. Puzzled Wasn't forecast at all. I think the storm that is hitting the Sierra's has got a bit more width and strength to it than was originally thought. We'll take it though!
snow report
My new favourite youtube video Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/sLUFwsqXTbY
snow conditions

waiting at KT-22 this morning.

Lift
10" at the base overnight & 19" at the top
ski holidays
LittleBullet wrote:

waiting at KT-22 this morning.

Lift
10" at the base overnight & 19" at the top

Some hungry powder hounds!
latest report
Storm in coming for the PNW and Coast Range. Forecast calling for up to a foot of snow at Whistler and Mt. Baker. Updated models seem to show the storm tracking with some energy a bit farther South to Stevens Pass, and Crystal and White Pass could see 6"-10" of snow if conditions align. After this Friday storm things will calm down for a few days. Nothing on the radar until maybe mid next week or possibly a bit toward the end of the week, (Jan. 24/25)
latest report
Please be safe out there folks. There's been tons of snow falling in a lot of West Coast and Rockies ski resorts this month.

Sadly, another inbounds fatality at a US Ski resort, this one at Alpine Meadows. Heavy snow and winds overnight in Tahoe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriff-says-several-unaccounted-lake-195400212.html

At least one person has died and another was seriously injured Friday in an avalanche at a Northern California ski resort, authorities said. A search was ended, with officials saying they do not believe there were any more victims.

The avalanche occurred after a storm passed through the area Thursday, dumping large amounts of snow at Squaw Valley-Alpine Meadows, a ski resort in the Lake Tahoe area.

The resort said the avalanche was reported shortly after 10 a.m. in an open area of the resort. One male skier died and a second male skier sustained severe lower body-injuries and was taken to a hospital.
latest report
Snow continues to fall in the PNW. Woke up to a light dusting on the truck this morning. Snow stake indicated 5" at 6am, and about an inch an hour coming down. Nice soft turns and lots of deeper stashed to be found. It's been a good January.

snow report
More snow coming in for the PNW. Coast Range is looking at up to a meter between Tuesday-Thursday time frame. Storm track will tend to not favor interior BC. North Cascades from Baker down to Crystal Mtn might see 30cm-50cm. The storm will favor the more Northern peaks. Oregon will have slightly warmer temps and get a refresh of 10cm-20cm or so.

The Colorado Rockies should also see some activity in the Central Mountains (Crested Butte will get in the action too) Aspen, Snowmass will do okay. Maybe 20cm-30cm from Tuesday to Thursday. Front Range , Summit County ski areas might see a bit more than 30cm, but it depends on timing and temps. But there will be snow falling. Wednesday might be the better day to call in sick!
ski holidays
had a great powder day at Mission on Saturday. 8+ inches and wind loading. Great day. Sunday was less so Sad. Luckily Stevens was delightful today. No new but cold packed pow everywhere, skied great on and off groomed. The cover everywhere is excellent now so bring on more storms!
snow conditions
There's several bits of weather incoming from Tuesday - Thursday for the PNW. Storm track looks to favor Whistler and Mt. Baker. There's a nice amount of moisture with the Tuesday storm as it comes up from the South, but temps will lower as the storm works its way East. By late Tuesday the storm will work its way through Northern Idaho (Schweitzer) And into Montana (Big Sky) Some of that weather may drift into the Tetons (Jackson Hole) Further out into the week of the 27th of January there could be additional storms, although currently not looking like anything of note yet.

atm near me right now
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy