Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North America West Coast Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
We are gazing enviously from 6000 miles away.

Fair play to you lads over there - but skiing (& anything resembling normality) seems a lot more than 6000 miles away from us at the moment rolling eyes .

Skiing in Scotland is only 4.5 hours away - but not allowed, so may as well be 6000 miles distant.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergmeister wrote:
We are gazing enviously from 6000 miles away.

Fair play to you lads over there - but skiing (& anything resembling normality) seems a lot more than 6000 miles away from us at the moment rolling eyes .

Skiing in Scotland is only 4.5 hours away - but not allowed, so may as well be 6000 miles distant.

That's a major bummer! The marketing director at Mt Bachelor apparently was lecturing the clientele waiting to load up this morning as not being properly distanced. She should have a discussion with mtn. ops, since they are the ones setting up the skier pen each morning, and not setting the spacing properly for the 6' distancing. She was also shouting without her mask on. Heard this while riding the lift with a volunteer ski patroller.

There are a lot of people who traveled from out of town to ski in Central Oregon. Lots of Washington and California plates in the parking lot this past week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Toadman, good to hear Mt B is clamping down....don't want idiots getting the place shut. Crystal has adopted a more aggressive posture as time has gone on, and I also think more folks are figuring it out. That said, sugar works better than salt; I rode a chair with a random kid who took his mask off once we were out of the base and I asked him in a (rare for me) nice way to mask up and we ended up having a great chat.

And @Bergmeister, all this pandemic stuff has sure reminded me how lucky we are here in Seattle to have good skiing 60 minutes away; excellent skiing 90 minutes away; and Whistler is just 4 hours (when the border's open). Next Monday I'll take a run for you, and if the forecast holds, it'll be a good one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Storm totals from Saturday night/Sunday morning storm that came through the PNW;

Whistler-Blackcomb - 2"
Mt Baker - 8"
Stevens Pass- 16"
Crystal Mtn. - 14"
Mt Hood Meadows - 7"
Mt Bachelor - 10"

Temps remain on the warmer side with 30F-28F at the bases with moderate winds near the summits.

More snow coming in for Sunday night into Sunday morning. Possible a foot in the higher elevations and maybe 6" for base to mid-mountain.

GFS and ECM showing a high pressure coming in around Wednesday for a few days, and then possibly another storm around Saturday for the PNW.

Colorado should see some light snow on Tuesday. Front Range ski areas might pick up a few inches and Steamboat might fare the best.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We got 32 cm in Whitewater. It's more coz it's metric!

Hopefully a bit more through the week maybe touring time?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Woke up to a light dusting of snow on the ground. Just a few inches on the Cascade's, however. Next storm for the Cascades is incoming this evening, and that will be followed by another round of precip on Friday.

Sun Valley woke up to 6" of snow, so those folks will be having a jolly good time today!

Colorado ski resorts in the Central and Front Ranges should be seeing 3"-6" though out today.

Things look to dry out by Saturday, and might be a week long high pressure build up going into mid-January for the West Coast and Rockies. Storms could be pushed over into the New England states with the jet stream staying up farther North of USA.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scooter in Seattle wrote:

And @Bergmeister, all this pandemic stuff has sure reminded me how lucky we are here in Seattle to have good skiing 60 minutes away; excellent skiing 90 minutes away; and Whistler is just 4 hours (when the border's open). Next Monday I'll take a run for you, and if the forecast holds, it'll be a good one.

Please do.

In fact, take a run for all of us Brits who are, once again, locked down with no end in sight. We are hoping (against hope, I think...) that we might be allowed to ski at some point this season - even if it's "only" in Scotland. Fingers very much crossed!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bergmeister, I did, and I'm sorry to say it was a tough day out there. I never would have gone, but I had the chance to take both of my kids (20 & 25) and honestly wanted them to experience a true Northwest ski day, meaning a foot of thick cement, poor visibility and mixed rain and snow. But also: perfect stuff to stick to the remaining rocks and get us covered.

I'm a golfer, so Scotland is on my radar for that. Until Snowheads, I was unaware that there was any skiing there at all. From the photos here, it is clear that the Scots are hardy souls...they golf in ski weather, and they ski in....hoo boy. But it looks all old-school and fun anyway. Hope you get up there soon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Woke up this morning to some heavy and wet snowfall this morning. Was able to make some last minute changes and get a coveted last minute parking spot at Bachelor. (No forecast for snow in Bend, OR yesterday, so I will take the surprise!)

About 4" at lift off. Snow was medium density and quite fun to play in. Was snowing heavy at times with wind blowing in more and doing a nice job of resetting and removing the tracks.

Not much crowds, which was a bonus. Ski on to the lifts for most of the morning. Had to leave at noon for work commitments. Should be really nice refresh for the weekend.

Still lots of untracked at 10am.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bergmeister, I did, and I'm sorry to say it was a tough day out there.

But a tough day is far better than no day!

We had the disgraceful situation today in England of 2 friends being fined by the police for driving 5 miles from home (in separate cars) and meeting up for a walk in the middle of nowhere. FFS! Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bergmeister, agreed. As for your example: Wow. I'm 64 so I'm taking this very seriously, at least I think so, and that seems ridiculous, heavy-handed. Maybe it was a rookie cop who hasn't learned the pick your battles thing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great pic, I would have been calling in work sick Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
russ_e wrote:
Great pic, I would have been calling in work sick Toofy Grin

Sometimes you got to pay the bills though. Better half a day than no day!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Moderate storm tracking toward British Columbia and Northern Washington for Monday. Starting to break up and split with a high pressure over the PNW on Saturday and into Sunday. Will result in some high cloud cover and maybe a few flurries on Sunday. There's some warm air mixed in coming up from the South with this storm that looks per GFS and ECM to provide further moisture around Wednesday maybe even late Tuesday.

I rode the lift yesterday with someone who drove up from Park City, Utah. They have not had much snow this season. Storms have been splitting and missing the Wasatch for the most part.

Longer range, out into January 17-18 there might be potential for more storminess.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sadly an 8 yo boy has died from injuries sustained while skiing off the Summit chair at Bachelor. I was up there that Saturday and did one run down the groomed run off the Summit chair and decided the conditions were not worth risking possible injury. I had been watching ski patrol rope off long stretches of the run due to the severe icy conditions off-piste. I can't imagine what a horrific accident it must have been.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2021/01/8-year-old-injured-while-skiing-at-mt-bachelor-dies.html
snow report
Terrible news, and this chills me because 10-12 years ago I took my boy, about the same age, out into the caldera and he took a hard fall on nasty ice that I had not properly anticipated like I should have. That fall set him back probably a full year in his development and I'm still pissed at myself. I'll be there starting Monday with my daughter so this intel is appreciated. I'll take a run in his memory.

FWIW Off-piste at Crystal was awful yesterday, but the groomers were terrific.
snow conditions
Terrible news, and this chills me because 10-12 years ago I took my boy, about the same age, out into the caldera and he took a hard fall on nasty ice that I had not properly anticipated like I should have. That fall set him back probably a full year in his development and I'm still pissed at myself. I'll be there starting Monday with my daughter so this intel is appreciated. I'll take a run in his memory.

FWIW Off-piste at Crystal was awful yesterday, but the groomers were terrific.

Bachelor hasn't release any details of what happened. But one person who posted on line, indicated that there was a lot of blood where the boy came to rest. As I was coming down Showcase off Summit, I knew that the conditions were very challenging, and decided to go else where. It looked like most people were doing the same as Summit had no line and I'm surprised Patrol didn't shut down the chair by at least Noon.

@Scooter - Your timing might not be too bad. There's some indications of light snow in Bend on Thursday night into Friday morning. Might wake up to an inch or so on the ground in town. I don't think Bachelor will get much more though.

Sunday appears like some promise for a storm that is working it's way across the Pacific which will have its main energy in NorCal. The winds seem to be trending to have a Southerly flow, so that could mean a bit of warmer air with the moisture. Below image shows the storm currently coming in to the North Calif. area, and that long tail could shift further North as the storm comes through. But that Southerly flow means warmer air and temps, so higher snow levels. Will have to wait another few days on that one. But it looks like you might be storm skiing if you are up at Bachelor on Monday. You might get some left overs on Tuesday as well. But just know that the off-piste is really in bad shape, and it will take some wet and sticky snow to heal the current snow conditions. Small amounts over the next week plus would be ideal. And it is shaping up to do just that! wink

snow report
At this point I'll be happy if we can see. But after almost 50 years of coming down there, I know better than to expect good viz, especially with incoming weather. I love Mt. B, but it is, without question, the freezing fog capital of the world!
latest report
At this point I'll be happy if we can see. But after almost 50 years of coming down there, I know better than to expect good viz, especially with incoming weather. I love Mt. B, but it is, without question, the freezing fog capital of the world!

I have had this unfortunate experience numerous times this season with the freezing fog. One days was so bad, that I went through two sets of goggles and finally just called it quits. I couldn't keep up with the rime. My jacket, poles and pants were just coated in a few mm thick ice layer.

It's still looking like a weak storm for Sunday. Overnight tonight we should see some light snow showers in town, and maybe an inch or two on the Mtn. This a weak storm coming in off the Pacific around Vancouver Island and work its way South into Washington/Oregon. Both GFS and ECM show this storm to track in a Southerly direction and won't really work its way into the interior. Cold air is associated with this storm with very low snow levels. Not much moisture, however, maybe 3"-5" up North and 4"-6" South. This storm might favor Mt Hood and Bachelor more so than the WA Cascade ski areas. Snow quality will be light, and won't do much to repair the off-piste crust that has developed.

GFS and ECM are also now indicating a low pressure building in the Gulf of AK, and working its way South through the Coast Range of BC and into the North Cascades by Tuesday. That storm is currently tracking to actually continue working South into Oregon and possibly into NorCal. Still need to watch that storm for another few days to see if the models continue to firm up that storm track. It should at least provide the North and Central Cascades with a decent refresh. A lot depends on where the main energy makes landfall. Right now, it seems to be favoring Crystal and Mt Hood.

The interesting thing is that you actually have two storms that are working off the Pacific. Up North in BC and then another that is coming on shore in NorCal on Sunday. Those two storms look to meet up around Northern Utah and into Colorado. So, those two states look on track to get up to 2 feet from Friday into next Tuesday. Utah badly needs some snow, as they are way below average for the season.

Bottom line is there will be lots of choices for fresh snow from Friday into at least Tuesday of next week from Whistler to Mammoth, and Jackson Hole down to Wolf Creek in SW CO and ever where in between!
latest report
It's currently snowing heavily in Bend this morning. Dog had a fun time in the few inches that are on the ground. Should start to tapper off in a bit. Ironically, the town might get more snow than the ski resort. Maybe some flurries throughout the day. Temps will stay cold, which is good.

Looks like Jackson Hole got a sleeper powder storm with about a foot of fresh.

Wasatch Range in Utah should start seeing snow falling today.

ETA: This storm is WAY over performing the forecast by A LOT!

Based on what the forecast model had shown, the winds were Southerly flow, which brought the moisture up from NorCal. The winds have shifted this morning to a Northerly flow, with much colder air. This is causing that wonderful orographic effect, and the East and North facing slopes are getting a lot of snow. Snow stake is hard to make out with some wind drifting, but it's well past the 5" mark and probably approaching 10"! Again, that could be some wind drifting causing the snow amount to appear more than actual. No complaints and it's badly needed to cover up that crust off-piste.
snow report
Snowing all day, although the storm arrived a bit late.

Was just a few inches on top of the groomers, but it will help bury the firm layer that developed last week.

More storms coming later in the up coming week.
latest report
Looks like January is going to go out with a bang in multiple regions. The most storm energy is down over California. Starting Wed. and going into the weekends should see multiple waves of low pressure energy hitting the Sierras. Current models indicate Tahoe resorts could see multiple feet of snow over the next 5-7 days. Maybe 6 feet plus at higher elevations. Badly needed for the drought stricken state, but there will be flooding and mudslide concerns at lower elevations.

Southern Utah, Northern AZ, New Mexico and SW Colorado should also do well with these storm tracks.

PNW should also see a storm on Wednesday as well. That storm should track over central Idaho and into the Tetons of Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole.

Weather models also show another storm coming in to Northern California on Friday/Saturday. Currently ECM and GFS are showing this storm to be fairly wide based with cold air from a NW flow.

Longer range into FI, the storm train looks to continue into the first week of February.
ski holidays
Going to be a lot of snow for the California ski resorts the next five days.

Nearby 5-Day Forecasts

Mammoth Mountain
96"

Badger Pass Ski Area
91"

China Peak
90"

Dodge Ridge
87"

Bear Valley
83"

Kirkwood
83"

June Mountain
72"

Sierra-at-Tahoe
59"

Soda Springs
59"

Sugar Bowl
59"
ski holidays
East Coast, New England area getting hammered. Might be a good day to break out the XC skis if you live in Manhattan and go for a lap around Central Park.

PNW is going to get some more snow through Wednesday with lowering freezing levels. Depending on the ski area a foot (Crystal) to 3 feet at Baker. (3 day totals)

Tahoe and Mammoth will get more snow through Wednesday as well. (About 2 feet over 48 hours or so)

Sun Valley, and the Tetons will get more snow through Wednesday. (Maybe 12"-20" 48 hour range)

Montana ski areas should see snow on Tuesday & Wednesday. Not a huge amount but a nice refresh.

Colorado will also see snow Wed/Thursday. A foot or more over that time frame.

In conclusion, lots of options for those who are able to get after it.

And as always, please be safe at there!
snow report
Just had time to go for a quick tour before work. Knee deep and light. Was one best runs of the season. Early morning face shots were had.

snow report
Cold temps pushing into Northern States of USA. Currently the NAM and GFS are putting a cold high pressure over the PNW. There is a large low pressure moving out over the Gulf of AK and the models show that getting pushed South over Oregon and maybe down into North Cali. around Wed/Thursday. With cold temps in place, the potential for some high quality, low moisture content snow exists.

The storm track has it moving inland and pushing a bit South over Norther UT by Friday. Jackson Hole could also see snow on Friday as well.

Need to watch how this one continues to develop as potential exists that the HP breaks down a bit over BC and WA to allow some moisture into the North Cascades.
snow conditions
Latest model runs firming up the storm track for Oregon and then traversing into the Sawtooths of Idaho and the Tetons by Friday. Could bring serious high quality, dry and light powder to Colorado and the Wasatch as well.
snow report
Winter storm warning for the South Cascades.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.67019367218019&lat=43.97341445519288#.YCSTn2hKjZl
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Storm is taking its sweet time rolling in. Temps are not nearly as cold as originally forecast. Accumulation is falling short of expectations. 5" as the lifts started to spin this morning.

latest report
17" is the lucky number this morning- Crystal Mtn. WA and 1f-5f temps, 17". Mt Hood, OR also received 17". Jackson Hole at 17". Bachelor with 8". Several Colorado resorts reporting 8"-10" of snow with Steamboat reporting 14" of champagne powder.
latest report

Had first tracks on my street this morning. Crystal will have trouble getting open, but even one run will be worth it
snow report
Was chatting with my brother up in Seattle yesterday and it seems that getting around is a challenge.

Meanwhile, a foot of fresh was had on the frontside at Bachelor and 19" over on Outback once that rope dropped just around 11am.

Lift lines were crazy long. About 25-30 minutes. But Cloudchaser, along with NW Express were also not spinning. Despite the long lift lines, the 6 runs and one Cone lap I got in before lift openings were stellar.
snow report
Utah got hammered over the past 72 hours or so with over 5 feet of snow in LCC. BCC did well too. Lots of avy work going on at Alta and Snowbird. Some of the pictures from UDOT are pretty crazy.

https://twitter.com/udotcottonwoods?lang=en

Snowing currently at my place at 3,000 feet in Bend. About a 10"-12" forecast for the mountain (Mt Bachelor). Mt Hood ski areas will do as well if not better from this storm. Central Cascades should get a nice amount as well.

Tetons have seen 100" since February 1st. They seem to be in a storm nirvana right now. Multiple storms coming from out of the South West and NW alternating as they come in off either the Northern Calif. coast or the PNW/BC and work their way over. Cold temps = blower pow.

Just peaking at the weather charts and it looks like the next 5 days will continue to favor the PNW and BC areas. Possibly 3 feet plus over that time frame from Whistler down to Mt Hood.

latest report
Nice light shin deep powder at Bachelor this morning.

latest report
Another AR coming into the PNW around Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Will come in a bit warm as is normal for an AR. It will cool as it progresses. There will be some cold air in the passes from an Easterly flow, which should help with snow levels and amounts. Potential for 12"-18" over a 48 hour period in several Central and South Cascade ski areas.

That AR currently is tracking to work its way across Washington and Oregon into Southern Montana, Idaho before dropping into the Tetons and Colorado. It could brush Northern Utah as well. Need to watch and see as we get closer to Wednesday but ECM and GFS model runs show it drifting a little bit further South into SW Colorado.
snow report
Decent conditions at Crystal. Snow was medium density

snow report
Getting deeper in the Cascades

latest report
Lots of sunshine and powder at Bachelor. Going to get warm this week.

snow report
Nice Easter holiday conditions at Bachelor

BA4-C0-CA4-1-AE3-40-CC-ADA6-775-D53788-D58
latest report
For us, the torture from a distance continues - though I'm glad you are having a great season over the pond.

We remain in lockdown here in the UK, with no real prospect of skiing anywhere soon. Our one remaining glimmer of hope is that Scotland reopens its borders at the end of the month and we can do some (limited, by then) ski touring. Here's hoping!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy