Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's Official: Hard, Snowy Winter to Come (Updated for 2020/21)

Poster: A snowHead
Well that's what The Express says - so must be fact.... wink

Bring on the worst winter in decades!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/weather/1184625/UK-weather-heavy-snow-long-range-forecast-Britain-cold-winter-2019-Met-Office/amp

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-11-20 19:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
already worried about my flights being able to take off from Liverpool in the new year. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict wrote:

By Express reporter Nathan Rao, who produces the same story about a UK winter snowmageddon every year, sooner or later he might be right! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That reminds me, I must book the car in to put the winter tyres on Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be getting my skis out for a season start wax and check. I was hoping for an Indian autumn, as my outside grapes have only just started veraison.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing Laughing Laughing sounds familiar. Always the Express....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must be time for the winter tyres / snow chain debates to start

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 5-10-19 15:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garfield wrote:

Soon only 4WD will do in London.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hyst wrote:
Garfield wrote:

That explains the density of Range Rovers around London then. How else can Penelope and Fiona get to the horse show on time?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/this-winter-could-be-coldest-for-30-years-bringing-snow-event-after-snow-event-104832843.html

It's not just the Express. Yahoo News UK is doing long term weather forecasts too! Time to sharpen those edges?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Professor mark Saunders told the Sunday Times that there is a 57 per cent chance that 2020's winter will be colder than in 2018."

Absolutely nailed on certainty then Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mgrolf, I bet 50%
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hyst wrote:
Garfield wrote:

Yep, just had 4 new range-rover fitted to my house Very Happy make sure I can drive to the shops etc Toofy Grin and collect my fair share of quinoa.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3cm of snow forecast for Scottish ski resorts on 17 October. I think that proves the forecast right?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Must be something in it - statistically, the Express doesn't start it's direst winter on record warnings till November...
latest report
Most the long range models suggesting it could be a very mild winter for Europe with the UK one of the less mild places (compared to average). Not great for the England and Wales enthusiasts but Scotland had some fantastic conditions in 2013-14 with a similar setup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-26339994

The default is always mild, so I find there tends to be a bias towards this in the long range models. Nobody knows really snowHead
latest report
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-temperature-rainfall-and-sunshine-anomaly-graphs

I keep my eye on this link once a month in order to calibrate what months of wet or sunny or warm weather has the biggest impact on my apples and grapes. 2017 was a great year for apples due to the warm, dry months in March, April, May, June when the apples are forming and growing. 2018 was spectacular for outdoor grapes, due to the warm weather between April - July. 2019 was pretty average in May and June in terms of warmth. Not really very good for apples or grapes this year.

2010 in November and December were the beginnings of a great season for skiing.
latest report
The worry for me is the speed of climate change. It feels as though things are accelerating. Last winter in the uk was particularly mild and the Alps was only saved by the large Stau event in January. Even then temperatures were marginal because the artic is now so warm. The default for early winter seems to be - mild. There seems to be more wet and windy spells which in the past would have delivered snow to lower altitudes. In the higher resorts we are seeing more snow fencing, a sign of windier conditions?

My fear is the point may be reached sooner rather than later when skiing becomes too unreliable in medium altitude resorts to be commercially viable. At that point we would presumably see a collapse in demand as people choose to pursue other pastimes. The resorts must at least be thinking about that future and what might follow. Will the new skis I’ve just bought be the last pair I’ll need !
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
The worry for me is the speed of climate change. It feels as though things are accelerating. Last winter in the uk was particularly mild and the Alps was only saved by the large Stau event in January. Even then temperatures were marginal because the artic is now so warm. The default for early winter seems to be - mild. There seems to be more wet and windy spells which in the past would have delivered snow to lower altitudes. In the higher resorts we are seeing more snow fencing, a sign of windier conditions?

My fear is the point may be reached sooner rather than later when skiing becomes too unreliable in medium altitude resorts to be commercially viable. At that point we would presumably see a collapse in demand as people choose to pursue other pastimes. The resorts must at least be thinking about that future and what might follow. Will the new skis I’ve just bought be the last pair I’ll need !

I'm not sure snowsports in South Wales has ever been 'commercially viable' snowHead but it would no doubt be affected by the same forces. I managed 17 days last season (November - May) with a more convenient work schedule. I think about 20 were possible depending on your definition of skiing and whether you love your bases snowHead

You're absolutely right about early winter - nothing in December and only about 3 days all season with any lying snow below 400m. It was a struggle - but has it not always been that way? I believe the mildest UK 'winter' on record by some distance was wayyy back in the 1800s.

There are some interesting theories about how climate change could cause western Europe to see more snow. Then there are others that say Scottish skiing will be dead in 40 years. I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen. Every year up there in the last 10 seems to be exceptionally good or exceptionally bad. But again.. hasn't it always been like that? Wink

http://youtube.com/v/mDFBjssNWA0
latest report
More snow forecast for 24th-26th October in Scotland in ski resorts. Probably be washed away by rain in November, but maybe not!

Is it worth a gamble buying the 5 resort all areas season ski pass for £550? (almost the same as a week or 2 in some European resorts)

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/outdoors/new-pass-unlocks-all-five-of-scotland-s-ski-resorts-1-5019804?fddd
ski holidays
Erm,............let me think.....................................

No
ski holidays
@Bigtipper, It is only worth it if you are very sure you can ski anytime and that there will be good snow cover, FWIW if you have a season ticket at any of the Scottish ski areas you get a 30% discount when skiing at any of the other areas.
snow report
Mega-snow dump for Ireland !! :::: I exaggerate - "A Chance.."

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4683231/irish-weather-forecast-snow-met-eireann-temps-1c/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=irishsunfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1571653294
snow conditions
Looks like the snow may stick around for a few weeks, as the forecast is sub zero. snowHead
snow conditions
Oh yeah!

https://www.facebook.com/1717616131627569/posts/2409038869151955/
latest report
It has been cold, but it is due to warm up at the weekend. However, the longer term forecast beyond the weekend is for more sub zero temperatures and snow in ski resorts in Scotland again.

Keeping the ground cold between snow falls, means the snow will stay better and build up a base prior to season start. Looks like November might be the coldest for a few years due to the expected cold start.
ski holidays
Snow tyres now on. Bring on the worst!
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
Snow tyres now on. Bring on the worst!

+1 Ours went on this week nice new Continentals
Set of wheels and tyres for old car sold via Fleabay last week Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since the OP, the October actuals are in. The UK has experienced on average 0.5 degrees centigrade below the 1981-2010 average mean temperature. Not particularly significant in itself, although much of that was at the end of October when it went sub zero.

November actuals look like they will be closer to 1 to 2 degrees below the 1981-2010 average, given the 15 day sub zero forecast for the first half of November.

However, more significantly Scottish averages look lower than the UK averages compared to 1981-2010 average. (down 0.8 C for October and looking like it is going to be very cold 2 weeks in Scottish ski resorts, certainly cold enough for outside snow making rather than using the fridges)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-temperature-rainfall-and-sunshine-anomaly-graphs
snow report
Thanx for the music. One of America's 60's iconic tunes......................
latest report
A week later, and the forecast remains sub zero. Heavy snow is coming between tonight and Wednesday in Scottish ski resorts. Could be an early opening this year. November looks like it might be a 2 below average month. (in Scotland at least compared to 1981-2010). I have got my kit bag out now to check I have everything ready! Razz
snow report
Brec and steamboat are open with historical uper level of eary season snow leves . . .

I think climate change will bring us epic snow conditions . . . but the need to fight zombies to get there will be a real bunner Sad
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Brec and steamboat are open with historical uper level of eary season snow leves . . .

I think climate change will bring us epic snow conditions . . . but the need to fight zombies to get there will be a real bunner Sad

Meh.

A bit of pre-ski cardio and core never hurt one one.

Go full Tallahassee on them
snow conditions

Ben Ledi this afternoon 14 November. Not loaded with snow, but starting to show promise.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

By Express reporter Nathan Rao, who produces the same story about a UK winter snowmageddon every year, sooner or later he might be right! Laughing Laughing

Try every week from November through March...
latest report
@IanTr, you were saying..... Toofy Grin
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@IanTr, you were saying..... Toofy Grin

The Express is just Mega-Click-Bait these days

E.g. -- Graham Norton Show Cancelled !!! Shocked ; not at all, just made way for Children in Need night
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:

2010 in November and December were the beginnings of a great season for skiing.

They should have been. That was when Heathrow shut for 2 days on ?20 Dec due to snow, and other airports like AMS and FRA similar. I won’t forget that ever.
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
Since the OP, the October actuals are in. The UK has experienced on average 0.5 degrees centigrade below the 1981-2010 average mean temperature. Not particularly significant in itself, although much of that was at the end of October when it went sub zero.

November actuals look like they will be closer to 1 to 2 degrees below the 1981-2010 average, given the 15 day sub zero forecast for the first half of November.

However, more significantly Scottish averages look lower than the UK averages compared to 1981-2010 average. (down 0.8 C for October and looking like it is going to be very cold 2 weeks in Scottish ski resorts, certainly cold enough for outside snow making rather than using the fridges)

Mean temperature for November -1.4 degrees C below 1981-2010 average in Scotland. Unfortunately, precipitation was 62% of 1981-2010 average for Scotland. Meaning it was very cold in November, but not a lot of natural snowfall. However, conditions have been better than normal for snowmaking both in a fridge and outside snow making. Therefore the beginner pistes will be nearly there.

It's forecast to get very very cold by December 12th!! BRRR
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
It's forecast to get very very cold by December 12th!! BRRR

Yes I saw that, with snow forecast over considerable areas of the UK. If that were to come about by 12th Dec that could conceivably affect the turnout in the General Election....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy