Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
Good pix of L2A glacier here.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good news for the Glacier

Isère : le glacier des Deux-Alpes à un niveau record d'enneigement depuis 2013

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/isere/isere-glacier-deux-alpes-niveau-record-enneigement-2013-1840884.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots more snow yesterday too, snow line about 2200m perhaps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
20cm yesterday, total of 55cm this week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hedging that myself and family will be able to get to LDA in the summer after the April ski trip to flaine didnt happen, I booked some accommodation about 7 weeks ago and it now looks as though we will be going.

Bit of advice please...

Firstly never been to LDA but understand that the skiing happens in the morning on the glacier then the afternoon is full of other fun activities?
My wife isn't the most accomplished skier, will she be ok on the glacier? she is worried it will be icy and all the runs will be on the edge of a cliff Very Happy
Myself and daughter are planning on booking into a freestyle course and will be very content doing so, but will the wife have scope to learn form her normal wide blues to what ever the Glacier throw at her?

also any other advice on the setup and area in the summer would be amazing!!

Thanks in advance!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry Puzzled L2A not LDA as I've just researched
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Noakes, Yes skiing is from 7am to lunchtime. Access to the glacier is by a big 2 stage gondola and takes about 20 minutes. Normally this takes about 25 or so people but I'm sure this will be reduced. Masks need to be worn obviously. It's a big glacier with a number of t bars and a funicular accessing the slopes. There is likely to be a lot of race training going on. There is also a big snowpark up there too. There's a summer piste map on the L2A website. Plenty of instruction available for skiing or boarding from English speaking instructors, a handful of them are Brits. Tends to be less expensive in the summer. Biking instruction available too.

When are you coming? Conditions are really good at the moment. As summer progresses conditions are likely to deteriorate. It may well be icy at first and perhaps slushy later but if it isn't warm or sunny it could stay icy. Could be fresh snow. All depends on the weather. The slopes up there aren't steep, mostly blues. No closing date is published it will depend on conditions. Last year it closed in early August rather than the end of the month. I don't really ski in the summer but may go up when it opens to the public on 27th, atm its just pro teams. There are several restaurants up the mountain including one on the glacier.

Other activities up here are such as Mountain biking, down hill or cross country, lots of road biking but mainly based in Bourg d Oisans. Lots of hiking paths here or further afield if you want to get away from lifts, etc. There's a luge with associated lifts and another lift tows up wheeled carts. There's a 9 hole golf course and a few hard tennis courts. There's an artificial lake with a beach around it, lifeguard served. A couple of public pools and a sports centre with gym, squash courts, etc. There is a cinema, currently closed, but there are plans to put on free outdoor films by the lake. There's also a big firework display there on Bastille day. There is a bowling alley too. If you ski in the morning the lift pass can be used in the afternoon to access the mountain. Other activities are organised by the tourist office.

Loads of bars and restaurants in town and 3 nightclubs. Lots of shops but many are sports shops, ski stuff in winter and biking stuff in summer, rental of ski gear and bikes including protective gear. A few diverse souvenir shops, chocolate shops, etc and several supermarkets and of course bakeries.

This is obviously based on a "normal summer" it may well be a bit different this year who knows. Pavement areas are being widened atm to make social distancing easier.

Loads of other activities down in the valley, etc. Several lakes for some water sports, rafting on the rivers, aerial climbing type things, etc.

It's great here in the summer Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I took this a couple of weeks ago, Lac Lauvitel, one of the most popular hikes. 30 minutes away by car then 1½ hours or so hike up.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stunning
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Claude B, wow. Thanks for the compressive review, sound great! We’re out on the 4th to 10th of July & looking to let off some steam.
Am I best to book passes ASAP as they might restrict numbers?
I’ve email a few schools and hoping to jump into a week freestyle course and the wife into a course where she can build her confidence...
Any showheads out there that can hook me and the family up get in touch
Thanks again
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Noakes, Summer passes aren't actually on sale yet. I checked this morning for 27th. It is probably a good idea once they are though.

European Ski School are pretty good. Mostly Italian instructors with a couple of Brits. For Freestyle an Italian is most likely, they all speak excellent English. Tip Top Ski Coaching may be best for your wife. Alex Armand is English, very good. A bit more expensive but she may be busy running BASI Courses. If not ESS. If you're boarding an English friend runs Ride Camps for Snowboarding and Mountain biking.

https://www.europeanskischool.eu/
https://tiptopskicoaching.com/
https://www.ridecamps.eu/

I should be about but I need to pop back to UK once this 2 weeks isolation nonsense is out of the way.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Noakes, I'd strongly suggest checking before fully committing, the website now talks about gradually increasing capacity from the 27th for skiers accompanied by an instructor only. Less restrictions in the park but limited capacity. It keeps changing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Claude B, thanks I’ve emailed a few instructors and had a good response and the plan is to book a full 5 maybe 6 days with one and once this political cockfighting with quarantining is over i hope we should be good to go, even if skiing is limited there seems to be enough other activities to do.
Like everyone else who missed their Easter break, I need to get out of dodge...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B,
Thanks again for the info Very Happy Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Other possibilities for the summer. Ian is a ski instructor in the winter.

https://www.whitemarmotte.com/

Parapente is very popular, word perfect English in this guy's brochure wink

https://www.facebook.com/2alpesparapente/
snow report
Went for a little wander around yesterday. A lot of work going on getting ready for the summer season. A couple of shots showing what is on offer.

The bathing lake, beach almost finished.

Looking up the 2nd fairway, uphill lie.
snow conditions
@Claude B,
Skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking & golf, I can see myself never leaving!!!!

Have booked an instructor and if your around that week let me know, I’ll buy you a beer for your help and advice....
snow report
@Noakes, Very Happy Ideal, no problem. I should be unless a UK trip is possible.
ski holidays
Seem to have quite a well thought out plan here. Priority very much given to those training. Seems there is some provision for punters from 8am each day.

latest report
Any one stayed in Village Club du Soleil? Is it miles from the village or walkable? Looking like having to do a half term holiday next year. Boo hooooo
snow report
@harrim51, It's in L2A 1800 or village as it is also known. Downhill walk to get into town but obviously uphill on the way back. 20 minutes from the very centre, bit more on the way back. There are a few bars, restaurants, shops, etc up there too and many more on the way to the centre. The ski bus runs up and down until about 8 but I never use it so would need to check. No idea what it's like. The Village lift takes you up from there and you can ski back via a black or green. The blue down doesn't give you access although a tow up would give you enough height to get across. Skiing down from there is easy for lessons, etc.
ski holidays
@Claude B,

Thanks.
snow report
@harrim51, no problem

I'm hearing from friends that they have received an automatic refund on their season pass of 140€ despite not applying at all. I haven't yet although I applied online in April. Keep an eye on your accounts if you had a season pass.
ski holidays
Home sweet home. Taken from La Croix de Cassini above the Col de Sarenne at 2400m. Unfortunately there were clouds on top of all the major peaks of which you get a panoramic view from there.

ski holidays
Red bull at the ready, leave 5am Saturday and going to do the run in one Then be on the glacier Sunday morning , hoping for fine weather, snow at the top sun at the bottom
ski holidays
@Noakes, safe drive

Much busier here now with more training on the glacier, mainly french and Italian youngsters. Still quieter than normal though. French team still here too. Has been much warmer with a few storms too, forecast is for more of the same. Had this amazing phenomena after a storm on Wednesday evening.

ski holidays
Noakes wrote:
Red bull at the ready, leave 5am Saturday and going to do the run in one Then be on the glacier Sunday morning , hoping for fine weather, snow at the top sun at the bottom

Each to their own, but I never quite understood the point of punter summer skiing. Won't you feel a bit in the way with all the racers zooming around?

Edit: Of course, who knows, maybe you are planning a deep rebuild of your left slalom turn, and to get your FIS points below 30 this season? snowHead Enjoy whatever you do though!
latest report
Claude B wrote:
@harrim51, no problem

I'm hearing from friends that they have received an automatic refund on their season pass of 140€ despite not applying at all. I haven't yet although I applied online in April. Keep an eye on your accounts if you had a season pass.

@Claud B,I’ve still not heard anything regarding a refund have you?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Honeybadgerversion2, no but they're still working on it, a friend had an exchange of emails re a 20 day pass. I'll pop in this afternoon.
snow conditions
Popped into the office this afternoon. They're still working through all the refunds. If you paid online you'll get an automatic refund even if you didn't claim. I know of people who've done just that and got 140€.
snow conditions
@JamesHJ,

I wouldn’t know what a FIS point is?

you’re 100% correct, each to their own, for me and my family, thats a freestyle course in the morning followed by lunch on the mountain then perhaps mountain biking, via ferrata, paragliding , hiking or even a spot of golf in the afternoon, so yeah each to their own....

@Claude B, if you fancy that ice cold beer let me know, you won’t miss us on our bikes cycling through town without a care in the world...
ski holidays
@Noakes, I'll be here. Give me a shout to meet up.
ski holidays
I wonder if there is a camping in the les 2 alpes itself?
ski holidays
@ed48, Not really I don't think bar campervans etc but down in Venosc with direct gondola access up definitely.
snow conditions
Talking to some more friends last night who have also received 140€.
snow report
Fantastic shot
ski holidays
Just spoke to a business owner in L2A. Apparently there is a hotel with an Italian ski club in lockdown? Any of the locals know anything?
snow conditions
@JamesHJ, A lot of Italian ski clubs here. Going out for a beer shortly, I'll ask. Hotel Crêt?
snow conditions
A mate here confirmed that there was a rumour last week. Who knows, they use a couple of hotels, chalets, etc. They would be back in Italy now, the border is less than 2 hours away.
latest report
Claude B wrote:
@ed48, Not really I don't think bar campervans etc but down in Venosc with direct gondola access up definitely.

Thanks! I see the prices are quite steep for what they are and compares to some cheap offers in apartments.

Im amateur astronomer and thinking of bringing my telescope with me if Im driving, the whole setup is 30kg, anyone knows is there high mountain road accessible by car with less light pollution and open sky to the south? The Ecrins is very low light pollution place, so in theory it should be very nice.

Interesting is there are chance to get up by Jandri Express to the first stage and then spend a night of observation in the Lac Noir area. are telescopes allowed in the gondola? Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy