Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
Very good reports coming from Raise yesterday and I note that Red Tarn direct on Helvellyn was getting skied on Wednesday Cool

I don’t think any of the clubs are running today but it looks to be going cooler again mid week. Not sure at the moment whether Raise will be running tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi guys, raise is running tomorrow and I haven't got my new touring skis set up yet Confused and Sick and Wrong in Keswick doesn't look positive to get me a set of rentals ready for tomorrow mid morning. Is there anyone willing to lend me a set (ideally based in west Cumbria anywhere from Eskdale to Keswick sort of area) in exchange for some beer money?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any idea if the Helvellyn - Red Tan line is in condition ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was on raise today and apart from the main basin cover was looking well diminished to what it has been the last few weeks. The thaw last weekend and early this week hasn’t helped
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WestCoastShredder, Cheers. The weekend forecast isn't looking helpful either.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice report and video from Raise today according to their Facebook page. Still good cover on Presidents. Cooler and dryer from Wednesday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surprised they coped with that wind... I was up a neighboring mountain and was being seriously blown off my feet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raise possibly open Thursday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grizzler wrote:
Surprised they coped with that wind... I was up a neighboring mountain and was being seriously blown off my feet.

It was almost straight down the towline, which helps. We're hoping to open on Thursday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...as Peter said. Soz... Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This nor Easter is the perfect direction for Yad moss feeding continious showers off the North Sea. Depth so far is very thin however.
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/mobile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

This nor Easter is the perfect direction for Yad moss feeding continious showers off the North Sea. Depth so far is very thin however.
http://www.raintoday.co.uk

Shame we are all stuck in, although I’m sure the authorities would deem the possibility of English snow sports essential travel!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hypnotic liftie-eye view of a year on Raise (from the webcam)...

http://youtube.com/v/C7MjjW1OzGg&fbclid=IwAR2XEeSNKTzVr8Ly0JHYzVf8KpG7oGBed73RwpzTEwGvaa1KOOJCQQa7YyE
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant link Sweeny Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the last snow patch may have disappeared from Cross Fell now. That just leaves Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike and Whiteside in the Kake District assuming noting left in the Cheviots. After that it’s over to Scotland for the Autumn patches Cool
snow report
Cake District... I like it. Grasmere gingerbread, afternoon teas in Ambleside, Seathwaite sponges... Laughing
snow report
denfinella you can buy “bag for life” type jute bags, from Booths I think, with an appropriate picture and the words “The Cake District” emblazoned on them
latest report
JohnHSmith wrote:
denfinella you can buy “bag for life” type jute bags, from Booths I think, with an appropriate picture and the words “The Cake District” emblazoned on them

Yup, they do quite a few of them in various colours and quotes, no pictures tho, just the quote and Booths written underneath, love mine. "Up hill and down ale" and "The pie who loved me" are amongst my favourites.
ski holidays
Didn't realise it was a thing! Very Happy

(To avoid painting an inaccurate picture of myself, I feel I should now state that, if I was visiting the Lake District, the last thing I would be doing is sitting around eating cake...)
latest report
Lake District Ski Club and Red Tarn Face tonight: [/url]

Cake District Little Angel [url=https://www.retailtimes.co.uk/preston-not-heston-booths-launches-range-of-quirky-reusable-shopping-bags/]
snow report
Whatever happened to the White Rose Ski Club, and Yorkshire Ski Club. IIRC Clive still has the unused Briton-Lift that was going to be used at Dob Park and Kilnsley.!
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, yikes that's a long time ago, I was a member of the White Star Ski Club in the mid 90's and did a few rips with them including two weekends at the Cairngorm
snow conditions
Apparently the last snow on Crossfell finally melted today. That just leaves the Lake District unless there is snow in the Cheviots. The last patch in The Yorkshire Dales went on the 30th April.
latest report
https://www.facebook.com/groups/snowpatchesengland/permalink/2663522757259721/

Looks like the last snow patch of the English season will last till tomorrow. Unusually it is on Fairfield.
ski holidays
Question please, re Weardale. I know the road and little parking area pretty well in summer, and have driven it a couple of times in winter when mostly clear or with just a tad of slush around the river dip - but usually the advice is not to attempt unless in fully-tracked Arctic vehice (well, you know what I mean).
So, what do most peeps do when visiting there? I'd really like to visit it this coming season; never managed it because of fears over the road up. We have winter tyres on our normal estate car, and snow socks and chains, but suspect that its ground clearance could be an issue, never mind the interesting experience of meeting 2 way traffic on that road! Or, from the look of it, trying to find much of a parking space if there's only that little pull in just before the gate.
It seems way too long a walk up in ski boots with skis (From Daddry/St John's anyway); how many lifts can actually be obtained, is there a way of pre-booking one with some friendly person with said tracked Arctic vehicle or similar? Or is it actually driveable in our car?
Cheers. (And no offence Peter, still fully intend to Yad as often as we can.)
snow report
how does Weardale compare skiing wise to Yad Moss? I've just renewed my Yad Moss season pass. Looks like Weardale managed 14 days last season vs Yads 8 days
ski holidays
@Grizzler, Most times I have been access has been fine with 2wd and snow tyres and/or snow socks. They seem to be able to get the road cleared of deep snow most of the time but there will be times when you will struggle eg. wind may pick up during the day and cause drifting. Normally there will be a facebook message in the morning or night before saying what conditions on the road/hill are like. Parking can be a problem when it is busy and you may need to dig a spot so bring a shovel. You could probably organise a lift via the facebook page - its a long walk up the road but you would probably be ok 9 times out of 10 with 2wd and snow tyres and socks/chains.

@kitenski, Probably fair to say Weardale is a bit more varied terrain wise with some steeper pitches on the upper hill, 'Black Scar' is Black steepness and 'the gulley' is fun. Yad Moss probably has a longer continuous run top to bottom. Both are good and worth a visit!
snow conditions
Thanks @sledger. I get the e mail notifications (and road reports, off putting as the often sound) but will look into the FB page. Often hear about digging out parking spaces, but never sure where there's any more room for them: that layby looks pretty small.

@kitenski, yes, my recent impression is that Weardale often (but not always) gets (or opens for) a few more days. As a Yad member I can go to Weardale, but may well join both; pretty equidistant for me.
Weardale has a 2 stage drag lift. My crap snowboarding skills might even just get me up one of them (they certainly don't up to Yad!) My ski knees might thank me for that too. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weardale has two dopplemayer button lifts serving a run of about 800m. It’s much steeper than Yad Moss at the top. In really good conditions it will be superb. Their piste map has 34 (!) marked runs and some genuine black sections.

The problem is the summit is 200’ lower than yad moss and the bottom is 450’ lower. It does face north east so is more sheltered from westerly winds and some years they do run a bit more often than yad moss but some of those days are very marginal, even by Pennine standards. The grass is shorter and smoother on the lower runs. As noted above access is more difficult and parking is more limited. Yad Moss is accessible directly from a really good 7m road which has no steep sections and is relatively quick to clear. There is also an almost unlimited amount of roadside parking at Yad Moss. Weardale used to have their own snowblower but I think the council or a contractor clears the road now. We sold them our PB 200 when we bought the Leitner about 8 years ago. Weardale have been longer established on their hill (1965) and have a much larger membership. Check out google for some videos of both.

It’s great to have the choice because the clubs cooperate and offer discounts on lift passes. We had a number of days last year when we welcomed Weardale and Lake District members to Yad Moss and no doubt vice versa. Let’s hope for snow from the east and the west this year Laughing

Time to start a new thread snowHead
snow report
Re Weardale parking Grizzler: You are correct in that the layby at the gate to the ski hill gets full quickly - maybe 10 cars Puzzled

After that, cars park down the hill - at an angle, facing into the wire fence on the left (ie driving in forwards). Snow can be deep against the fence - hence the need to dig a space. The membership rules stipulate that visitors must park in that way. However, I've still seen chaos and the road blocked with cars trying to turn round, reverse in etc...

On a busy day, cars can end up parked all the way to the bridge/bend at the bottom of the hill - which can be a good ski back down Very Happy

You're right in that the last thing you want (in either direction) is to meet an oncoming vehicle on the single-track road Shocked Passing places are virtually non-existent apart from farm gates - I've had to reverse uphill for 'miles' before....

If you park at the chain-fitting layby on the road from Daddry Shield, someone will always give you a lift up to the slopes - well at least in non-covid times... Confused
ski holidays
New season's Northern Powderhouse thread here
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy