Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners guide to forecasting, GFS models?

Poster: A snowHead
Folks, is there any way to fix the fact that the first chart up here is current (i.e. today's), rather than as it was on 4/4/06 when carled posted it, and when brian commented on the "outlying blue line"?

So I guess that's a 2 part question: is there anywhere to get the 00z from 04/04/2006? can an admin swap it in for the one that's there?

If not, perhaps an admin could edit the posts which refer to the now-gone chart to indicate that one shouldn't tear one's hair out looking for the outlying blue line...

Actually.... hang on.... today's 12z is actually much more consistent with the text than the first time I looked at this thread. At a pinch we could use that...
snow report
 brian
brian
awf, no (and therefore, no). wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a new snow accumulationl chart from the German Met Office. This will give a good indication of snow for next 72 hrs at 10km horizontal resolution.
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/ani/wrf/
select 3h-neuschnee and gesamt-neuschnee (which are 3hr snow accumulation and total accumulation from the model start time(normally last midnight or midday)) Note that the scales are NOT the same and are in cm.
My last look has over a meter of snow in the next 3 days for parts of Switzerland. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why does - as seems to be the case currently, by several degrees - the GFS thick green temperature line often not line up with the other models, even when the correlation of the other models is extremely tight. And I don't mean fantasy island, i mean the prediction for later today!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well to my inexpert eye it looks as though all bets are off after the 12th. You could read whatever you want into those ensembles.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The ensembles rarely seem to show trends that would appear to show the expected (by me) variation between day and night. Is there a reason or is the differentiation there and just not as obvious as I'd expect?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ishay, I would have said in most of the graphs it DOES indicate day vs night. Maybe it's more prominent in the non winter days?

The peaks and troughs can be seen on this example:

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm, well yeah it certainly looks like it on that chart!

I've been watching this one though for Northern Italy and it is much less obvious (and always seems to be so)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_1146_ens.png

Local conditions? But then I've been going here for 3 years and I know it certainly does drop, a lot, at night
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Answering the title of the initial post, I would recommend the courses at Meted, they go from basic to pretty advanced. There is plenty of information there:
https://www.meted.ucar.edu/

Some basic stuff at http://www.meteoexploration.com/information.php they also show the actual GFS maps and ensembles.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The TWO spin off site IcyBlasts now offers 16 day probability forecasts in addition to the deterministic ones. My view is these provide a better guide to the medium term weather prospects despite these being set at regional rather than resort level. The plots shows 850hPa temperatures, precipitation amounts, the 'snow row' (number of runs in the suite forecasting snow) and the surface level temperature spread.

The probability forecasts can be viewed by using the resort picker and then selecting probability:

http://www.icyblasts.com/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am, on the whole, a not too dim bloke, but the GFS charts are leaving me totally dark? Are the wiggly lines across the centre the 'ensemble'; being a collection of available chicken-bone predictions? Do we snowies get excited when they are close to being a fat corridor across the page, rather than a spider's web all disagreeing? If yes-ish (well done me!)... what's the bottom row of lines telling me? And what are the 'P' numbers on the y axis?

I have tried to follow the explanations, honest!

CG
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
top set of wigglies are various predictions for temperature, with the white one being the 'ensemble' and the red the 30yr ave. The closer the lines, the more the various models agree - so generally close together in the next few days, getting less agreement the further out.

lower wigglies are precipitation.

P stands for Precipitation , and aren't relevant to the graphs - they're for the maps.

So what we want is the top wiggles (temp) heading towards 0 or below (left axis) and the bottom wiggles (precipitation) high. Lots of precipitation when freezing = snowHead snowHead snowHead

I think.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@doctor_eeyore, Ta for that. CG
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.windytv.com
Windytv
https://www.ventusky.com
Ventusky

Both are Interactive Weather Forecasts that show forecasts for GFS, GEM, EC. Lots of things to play with for those who don't wish to use ensembles or other maps or as a companion to these. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MoodyFFS wrote:
As a webby geek rather than a weather geek I thought this might be useful:

GFS graph grabber

Now no longer available.... sorry!
ski holidays
No it's not! Where do we go for the GFSs now? (Thanks for the years of service BTW!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I can I'll find an easy alternative for you all.

Is it the live links that were most useful or the point in time grabs?
snow conditions
 Olaaa90
Olaaa90
https://lepszytrener.pl/snowboarding
snow report
@admin this thread is moribund and needs to be set free to enjoy its drift into sH memories, despite Olaa90's verbose input.
snow report
Still lots of good info in this thread. Leave it as a sticky please.
ski holidays
doctor_eeyore wrote:
top set of wigglies are various predictions for temperature, with the white one being the 'ensemble' and the red the 30yr ave. The closer the lines, the more the various models agree - so generally close together in the next few days, getting less agreement the further out.

lower wigglies are precipitation.

P stands for Precipitation , and aren't relevant to the graphs - they're for the maps.

So what we want is the top wiggles (temp) heading towards 0 or below (left axis) and the bottom wiggles (precipitation) high. Lots of precipitation when freezing = snowHead snowHead snowHead

I think.

AH! Finally! Thank you Very Happy First time a post on this thread has made sense to me, despite trying and failing to decipher the graphs multiple times.

Now that I can read the charts - where do I get them for a particular place? Confused
ski holidays
www.netweather.tv - lots of info, charts and a helpful forum Smile been snow watching on there for years!
snow conditions
Can anyone help me find a graph for les arcs please. I think I’ve managed to get my head around reading them but the amount of options when creating them seems to baffle me. Thanks
ski holidays
willirvine wrote:
Can anyone help me find a graph for les arcs please. I think I’ve managed to get my head around reading them but the amount of options when creating them seems to baffle me. Thanks

latest report
I don't know if this has been posted before, but windy.com runs the ECMWF wx model and this is way better than GFS. I am a pilot and this is obviously a big topic in that activity. GFS has been very popular because it is free, so practically all free wx websites run it, often with impressive graphics which are way better than the underlying data Smile

If you pick the Rain layer you get the stuff which makes snow if the temperature is right Smile
snow report
Fed up of navigating Wetterzentrale on my phone, I created a little html/javascript page to give me quick access to the data I want about the places I'm interested in. It looks like this:

You can get it from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LpSHY6pPpdYlC49EgO_u0wzm2VCWrDLE/view?usp=sharing
Save a copy locally on your device and open it from the file manager. You can extend the list of locations by adding a new line to the obvious list of locations.
Change the value attribute to that for the required location, you can get that from Wetterzentrale on the end of the url for your target location, e.g. for Whistler it's 10422:
https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?model=gfs&lid=OP&var=93&bw=1&geoid=10422
The chart types are those I've found most useful for forecasting snow, there are others you could add if you want.
One oddity of the WZ output is that if you select a model run that is in the future it will give you yesterday's chart dated today.
Hope this is helpful to someone.
snow report
Wow that is amazing, thanks for this, you have made this so much easier!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy