Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Les Arcs - anyone else opt for credit note for refund on COVID affected booking via the central Les Arcs Réservations? We agreed a partial cash, partial credit note settlement from the central agency for a booking of 2 x apartments for the week the lock-down took place (we came, we saw, some of us skied one afternoon and then were told 'non!'). Cash portion was sorted reasonably quickly and everyone involved in our group was happy... until yesterday when the credit note was issued.
Somewhere between agreeing the value of the credit note with Les Arcs Réservation and it being issued nearly 3 months later they have deducted "fees kept by the estate agency ### ########" of over 35% of the value of the credit! (Name of agency redacted - although the mail and approach from Les Arcs during the whole process make me believe its the estate agency that have made the charge). Of course we've asked them to explain why they have changed the agreement we made - just wondering if anyone else has been confronted by similar under hand tactics?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowcrazy, Do you know if the mountain huts are opening this summer? I would imagine the very close proximity of sleeping people may have a high risk of transmition or, indeed, the bed bug situation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi John, here is a link to the Robert Blanc refuge, one I use quite often. It is open this summer under special conditions. I think if you google other Refuge names you should find details about other places that are open. I hope this help.

https://refugerobertblanc.fr/important-informations-summer-2020-2/?lang=en
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is a copy of my latest update. I will do another one later in the coming week.

The Funicular is running and the Cachette chair is open this week. From next weekend the other summer lifts will open, but not the Vanoise Express this year.
Although they said there was social distancing on the funi, in fact people wear masks, but that is about the only difference.

On the chairs it is suppose to be limited to two people with masks, but again I saw more than that on some chairs. I hope they do not have an increase of infections. Stay safe on the lifts and buses. Wear a mask and gloves at all times and wash your hands when you take off your gloves after touching anything. At least this is what I will be doing.

Once up on the mountains, it is very peaceful this week. Not many people around and some days the weather has been very good, but also a few storms passing through.

Everywhere is looking very green and pleasant. I hope you enjoy the photos of my first hike around Arc 1600 area.

If you want to see the photos please go to the Les Arcs Summer facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that @snowcrazy, We are planning to stay a few nights in the Refuge du Ruitor, https://www.ruitor.com/refuge_v2/accueil/accueil.php, up near the Italian border. There is good walking and climbing in that area.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Email just come out re owners lift pass scheme. Used Google translate.

Quote:
Dear Members,
Many of you have shared with us your dissatisfaction with the new Homeowner Benefits program.
We heard you and we hope to find a positive, creative and productive relationship. .

Consequently, to take a new look at our relationships, stopping the Homeowner Benefits program is necessary.

The end of the Owner Benefits program takes effect this Thursday, July 9, 2020: no new registration to the Owner Benefits Program is now possible.
For current Members, the balance of points decided on April 25 is final and it will therefore no longer be possible to acquire new points.

You will find below more information on the reasons for this stop and the methods to be able to use your points acquired during the winter season 2019/2020.

THE REASON FOR STOPPING THE PROGRAM

Many messages of dissatisfaction

that you have told us about all winter long

We were keen to offer you to be an economic player alongside the Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry ski area by:
- promoting the quality of accommodation in Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry thanks to the classification of your apartment;
- improving the filling of stations through knowledge of your occupancy modes.

It is clear that these objectives have not been achieved:
- The “Cristaux Paradiski” classification assumed by our colleagues from the tourist offices was perceived, by some, as a paid membership to the program (50 € for 5 years), even if, many are those who once their property classified , have understood the usefulness of classification for the revaluation of said property but also of co-ownership.
- The declarations of the type of occupancy of the apartments to join the Owner Benefits Program have caused several difficulties:
- each apartment is specific, both in terms of its management mode (commercial lease, rental mandate, self-management, etc.) and its geographic location;
- each owner has his habits: rentals before season, monthly private occupations, family freedoms, combination of different management methods…

We therefore felt that we could not achieve the qualification and filling objectives for the apartments in this way through this project.

Your recognition as owners of second homes, based solely on rewards, alters the relationship of trust that we wish to develop together and which is dear to us.

In addition, many of you have also reported technical problems in the access and operation of this program.

For all these reasons, we had to make the decision to end the Homeowner Benefits program.

ACCOMPANIMENT

Provisions at your service

To close this Owner Benefits program, we would like to accompany you with the account verification which will be carried out this summer to follow up on orders until the end of the 2020/2021 winter season.

USE OF POINTS:
- By way of derogation from our General Conditions, you can use your points until the end of the 2020-2021 winter season within the limits defined below;
- The value of the products in the gift catalog for the 2019/2020 season will not be increased in the 2020/2021 catalog;
- The 2020/2021 gift catalog will be available online at the end of August on the program website: owners. lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski , "MY BENEFITS" tab, to give you the opportunity to start using your points this fall, and throughout the 2020/2021 winter season.

Consequently, the points must be converted into an "Advantage Code" at the latest on April 29, 2021 in order to be able to acquire and consume a Gift before April 30, 2021. Beyond these dates, the Points and Advantage Codes will be definitively lost.
So that you can fully enjoy your gifts, we encourage you to convert your points into Advantage Code and then into Gifts as soon as the catalog is published at the end of August.

THE PARADISKI CRYSTAL CLASSIFICATION:
- The Cristaux Paradiski classification, managed independently by the tourist offices, has aroused dissatisfaction among some. This qualitative and advantageous means, which will continue to exist beyond the Owner Benefits Program, allows us to maintain the attractiveness of our destinations and is favorable to all:
- For the owner: the valuation and profitability of his property;
- For the vacationer: better visibility of the tourist offer and the guarantee of the quality of accommodation;
- For the station: a necessary tool for better promotion.
If, despite these benefits, you wish to cancel your classification request, we invite you to complete the ADS form by clicking HERE .

WILLINGNESS

A relationship with the owners at the scale of our destination

ADS wishes to continue to play an important role in the relationship with the owners, alongside the tourist offices and partners of the resort.
We will continue and strengthen the organization of meetings and events dedicated to you, and we will also continue to send you information about the station in preview through your newsletters.
So many opportunities to be in contact with you to discuss and share with you our products and new products.
So many moments of sharing, where we will have the opportunity to dialogue to bring together a new look at our relationship.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

THE REASON FOR STOPPING THE PROGRAM

Many messages of dissatisfaction

that you have told us about all winter long

So they are blaming the owners for not being happy with their scheme.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I've posted before - badly conceived, badly communicated, badly executed.

Let's not beat about the bush, It was a Fitzwilliam programme that was trying to be all things to all owners, and was never going to be loved. It was delivered late, when a hard stop - season opening - was known about since 1965, and the final configuration was only workable with a computer science degree and a ouija board.

Earlier today, discussing with management in my village, I understand there's a new Mayor of BSM - who could well want to get involved in a new scheme. Combined with the ADS losing upwards of €1m thanks to early shutdown, a quick decision to kill it and revamp for 2021/22 was probably the correct thing to do.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arctic Roll wrote:
As I've posted before - badly conceived, badly communicated, badly executed.
Indeed. For an occasional private renter it was all pointless. Lots of hassle to navigate (for renter and guests) with no apparent benefit (for renter or guests). Frustrating, especially as the scheme it replaced I did find useful, in terms of a modest benefit to me and a modest benefit to my guests. My neighbours in Arc 1800 who are also private renters all seemed to reach the same conclusion about the new scheme, so I'm pleased it's been scrapped and hope that if it's replaced something workable can be found.

The President of our building's CoProp seems to be on the team that the new Mayor of Bourg put together to act as, I think, as sort of unofficial advisory board representing different parts of the Bourg/Les Arcs communities.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm back in Les Arcs again for a week's holiday and since the weather looks a bit unreliable today I thought I post a short report on what we have been upto and what the resort is like at the moment.

First of all the resort is running pretty much as normal in the summer. That is it is about as busy as a very quiet week in the winter. Here in 1600 the restaurants are open in the evening and someone is having a go at reopening the old Che Fernand, but they are not getting much trade. The bars are closed. Social distancing in the main street isn't that great but you are usually can keep 1m from other people (with the exception of the funicular which was packed one day. Inside apart from actually eating and drinking at a table mask wearing is universal. Eating out or drinking on the reataurant terraces is good and the tables are a distance apart. I actually feel pretty save.

@Arctic Roll, I did cycle through Arc1950 to check on social distancing, but there were few people about so I could not come to any conclusions.

Now the fun bits - what have we been upto

Well the first day we went over to that excellent sport climbing area near Notre Dame du Pre. It was very quiet with only a few groups there so we climbed on the area by the car park. Normally this area is packed. The routes were very polished and slippery and felt much harder than their grade. Normally I can climb upto 5c but some 4bs felt realy tricky. A walk around to the cracks further from the car park reassured my confidence that I could still climb (Since lockdown we couldn't do any in the UK so I thought I had forgotten how to do that most basic of human activities). We shopped in the Super U on the way back

The next day we had my friend's young daughters with us so went rafting down the Isere with Arc Adventure. We could only go on the short route with the young girls but since the river was full the rapids on that bit were sufficienty exciting. Arc Adventures even supplied masks for the bus ride back. We had lunch in Bourg

For the third day we rented e-bikes. Though we barely used any of the battery power I appreciated the assistance when coming back up the main road from Villaroger to Seez. A section of route 66 being closed below Villaroger. We had a really leisurely trip first up the Cachette and down the blue track to 1800. A pleasant reminder on how to ride off road. From the Col de la Chal at 2500m down to Bourg at 800m is one long easy ride. We stopped for lunch at the Solliet. It should be noted that a restaurant/bar is open this summer in La Pre. From Bourg we went straight back up the Cachette, down to 1800 and after another drink cycled back to Arc1600. One strange thing about this whole ride was the number of very pleasant English speaking people we talked to.
Sunday was back to Sport Climbing, but this time the local crag, the Falaise de Rochefluer, a short walk from 1600. There has been some work done on this crag since last year with new access to the left hand side of the crag and some new bolted routes not in our guidebook. To make the climbs more accessible to the beginners classes you often see here some holds have been bolted or glued on. You do not have to use them.

Yesterday we decided on Via Ferrata, but couldn’t decide where. We have done every route in the area many times and each time a route was mentioned some one would object. Eventually we decided to drive all the way around to the Mauriene valley and do a route near Aussois, a ski resort that I had never heard of. The route was very short so a bit of a disappointment but the scenery was fantastic. To come back instead of driving down the valley and around the motorway we went over the col du Iserian and explore a walk from the top for today. The car didn’t like the slow climb up or the altitude (only about 70% of the air density at that height) and cut to “get you home” mode towards the top. Fortunately it cleared after a short rest at the summit.

Since the weather is not looking great for the rest of the week it looks as if some redecorating will be called for.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, did you spot any construction going on?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone know when to expect Early Bird lift pass discounts to be made available?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some big machines working on the run from 2000 down to 1950.....

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They have been busy..

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thefatcontroller, Do you know what thjey are doing. Foundations like that imply a pretty big building.

Incidently who is going out when next season. We will come before Christmas and stay until New Year (yes I know that will be after the dreaded Brexit) then come out again at the end of January for a week or two. We are already saving up for a celebratory meal at the Taj-i-mah for my 70th.
latest report
@johnE, The 1st one is the before, they are deconstructing not constructing. Huge gabions smashed up, no news of any building there and it is too busy an area to build (famous last words), I am hoping for some slope improvement, very flat there on a board.

We have booked our apartment for 2nd week January and mid March. No travel booked as want to see trains offered by SNCF and Eurostar now Eurostar direct is cancelled.
ski holidays
I'll be driving out for 2 weeks for Christmas and New Year, and have booked a few weekends, making the most of the cheap flights on offer at the moment. Planning on being over for kids half term and Easter too.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
I am hoping for some slope improvement, very flat there on a board.
Looks like that's what they are doing, certainly widening the existing piste but perhaps reshaping that area?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
I am hoping for some slope improvement, very flat there on a board.
Looks like that's what they are doing, certainly widening the existing piste but perhaps reshaping that area?

Cant figure it out but in fairness it is keeping me occupied in the wonderful world of MS teams calls...

Time for a 20/21 thread, lets be optimistic?
latest report
Foundation for something big................................
latest report
Oh Good - just what we need More 'kin beds.
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:

Widening the slope according to the mayors office in Bourg.....
ski holidays
It looks as if it will be a tad steep in places
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:

Widening the slope according to the mayors office in Bourg.....
Although they seem to be narrowing the piste above it, which is often a bit trickier to manage if you are trying to carry as much speed as possible to get across to the Lanchette chairlift without skating too much across the flat section of Arc 2000. The bit of the piste down towards 1950 that they are widening, on the other hand, always seems fairly quiet and easy to manage the traffic
snow report
@johnE, Laughing Laughing

@rob@rar, yes, from top of Marmotte back to our apartment in 2000 and the long flat section across to 1600 were the near death of us learning to board. The slope they are widening is never too busy but is horribly flat, we always walk up above where they are demolishing and put our boards on high to get across and down towards 1950. As you say the issue is the width above and gradient below but its France who knows what they are doing and most likely they don't either!!
snow report
They having finished moving the wall about 10 feet, will be interesting to see why?

and very busy doing work in Arc 2000 in general, they must be confident of a 20/21 season, new thread anyone?

snow report
Getting ready for season 21/22
snow report
Is Chris ok, where's the new season thread?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wills_h wrote:
Is Chris ok, where's the new season thread?

Indeed time for some positivity...
snow report
I don't want to start it and tread on his virtual toes! I will admit to having started looking at the webcams and snow forecasts (I'm so sad!)
snow report
wills_h wrote:
I don't want to start it and tread on his virtual toes! I will admit to having started looking at the webcams and snow forecasts (I'm so sad!)

You mean you stop looking at webcams? How else do you survive a day of conference calls?
snow report
browsing potential new ski gear on the 2nd screen and half paying attention.
snow conditions
I see the early bird lift prices are out now. It looks as if one's wife and one will be paying €751 each for our paradiski season passes. Since we are planning about 25 days next season that is about €30 per day roughly equivilant to 18 days or 3 6 day passes. They are allowing cancellation upto 48 hours before your first day's skiing but I am not sure what that actually means for a season pass.

Anyway I think I will order mine on November 29th and hope I can actually get out there.
latest report
2000 is looking pretty spooky this morning with the low clouds and mist blowing through
snow report
Hi we are going les arcs last week in Jan does anyone know if u get a refund on the early bird pass if u can’t make it due to flight cancellation due to Covid thanks
latest report
charlie26 wrote:
Hi we are going les arcs last week in Jan does anyone know if u get a refund on the early bird pass if u can’t make it due to flight cancellation due to Covid thanks
I'd recommend buying it on a credit card for additional protection as I'm not sure what their policy is. John E did mention that they are allowing to you cancel the pass up to 48 hours before your 1st day of skiing so I would assume that providing you do so within this time frame you'd get a full refund.
ski holidays
@charlie26, Yes you can cancel. This is what their email to me said
Quote:

In order to provide you the greatest possible flexibility for your stay, we are offering you the possibility to modify or cancel your order online at no cost up to 48 hours before your first day of skiing.

It doesn't mention that you have to give a reason for the cancellation
ski holidays
Iv'e just noticed a change in the Les Arcs Season pass policy. There are now two season passes one covering only the winter season and one both summer and winter. For me an early bird winter pass will be €696 whereas winter and summer would be €751.5 Last summer, IIRC, a full day pass was €21. Since I only used the lifts twice during the summer it would be more ecconomic to buy the winter only pass.

It pays to be carefu and read everything. One link mentions the winter only pass https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/fr/early_booking_saison?utm_medium=email&um_source=NL&utm_campaign=ADS_20_09_FR_CA_COM_001_EARLYBOOKING&utm_term=FR&utm_content=img_earlybookingsaisonhiver The other the summer and winter ones only https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/fr/early-booking-annee?utm_medium=email&um_source=NL&utm_campaign=ADS_20_09_FR_CA_COM_001_EARLYBOOKING&utm_term=FR&utm_content=img_earlybookingsaisonhiverete
latest report
@johnE, indeed, there's been quite a bit of comment' about that little sneaky move, on the Arc 1950 chat forums.

It also looks as if the CdA (parent co. of the ADS, and running the lifts in Tignes, 3V and other Tarantaise resorts) are removing apartment owner benefits completely - it would appear that the financial hit of losing 6 weeks of the season has been quite painful, and after the Paradiski 'Advantages' debacle of last year, rather than trying to fix it/replace it, and it's cut cut cut. across all their resorts.
I guess it doesn't affect season tickets too much, but for those of us below the threshold of 3.5 weeks in resort, it is definitely a loss.

I guess the other question their management are asking: does giving owner benefits actually achieve the aim of driving more revenue to the domain, or are there better ways?
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, I supose it partly revolves around what you call a week's skiing. For the moment let's assume it is 7 days. A 7 day essentials pass costs €265.5 as an ealy bird purchase for me. A season pass €700 that comes in at 2 weeks and 5 days of weekly passes. Sadly, if you take only 6 day ski trips it works out that a season pass is €20 more than 3 6 day passes.

One of the features of having my own apartment (and, as of this week, retired) is that I haven't done a Saturday evening to Saturday morning trip for a long time.

With the way Covid 19 is going at the moment it looks as if a Christmas/New Year trip may be off the cards (It looks as if the Grenoble area will be going into lockdown soon with infection levels approaching those of Bolton). Then I may only get 15 days in at the end of the season making a season pass not such a good deal. I'll wait until November before making my mind up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy