Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2019 - 2020 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
@rob@rar, I’ve messaged him on WhatsApp to tell him to check his web forms
That is so helpful! He’s just got in touch and confirmed a taxi for me (after originally saying he was fully booked when he first replied to my enquiry). Most grateful.

He messaged me back to say he has got it and you’re sorted. Was just a little worried as webforms can get missed. Safe travels, enjoy the week, looks an amazing forecast. We arrive next Saturday.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
@rob@rar, I’ve messaged him on WhatsApp to tell him to check his web forms
That is so helpful! He’s just got in touch and confirmed a taxi for me (after originally saying he was fully booked when he first replied to my enquiry). Most grateful.

He messaged me back to say he has got it and you’re sorted. Was just a little worried as webforms can get missed. Safe travels, enjoy the week, looks an amazing forecast. We arrive next Saturday.
The power of snowHeads! I’m trying to book a taxi and the most recommended company gets in touch with me via WhatsApp. It was like magic!

Anyway, appreciate your help, and sorry I’ll miss you next week as I’ll be heading back to the UK for a week before returning to Les Arcs later in March.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heli medevac on the blue just below Varet today

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, did you get to your apartment ok last night?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ChrisKernow wrote:
Heli medevac on the blue just below Varet today

Saw this landing, and then the chaos as all the skiers were funnelled down the red leading from the varet bubble. Hope the injured was ok, even though the crowds had died down there were lots of beginners about.
Snow is excellent at the moment, friday was an epic day. Managed to bag the 3rd chair up comborciere, and then fresh tracks down the black beneath the lift.
On our way back now after a great week. Even more snow fell last night so it should be a great end to the season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, did you get to your apartment ok last night?
I did thanks. The Eurostar arrived just before the final funicular service, but by then I’d confirmed the taxi with David (Taxi Aarthur) so had the luxury of a ride direct to my place. Final delay was about 90 minutes so could have been worse, and the Eurostar compensation will contribute to a free journey next winter. I’m normally quite happy when Eurostar us delayed Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back in Les Arcs and just in time for another POWDER DAY! Had a very wet stormy drive back last night, but today was worth the effort.

Headed up to Les Arcs and the Transarc had just opened across to the Arc 2000 bowl. So first run, fresh tracks down the Col de la Chal. Very nice! If it stays in this condition it will be fun for a few days to come!

To avoid lift queues we saw in Les Arcs it was over to La Plagne, much better! Straight up top of Roche de Mio and down the back. Great snow the whole way, even found places to put our own tracks.

Then up again and down through the Couloirs off Inversens by a number of routes. More fun and and fresh tracks. No time to stop for lunch on a powder day, it is good to be pushing hard again! Eat a sandwich in the Gondola on the way back up.

After reaching the second half of the run down to Bauches chair we found the snow by mid afternoon to be going off and the light had gone with clouds rolling in. Flat light so time to head for the trees.

Up Crozats and into St Jacques area for some more really nice snow.

Finally with our powder fill we headed back to Les Arcs. Another great day even when the light became flat in places.

All the pistes we skied today were in great condition after the fresh snow, fingers crossed the forecast is correct and we get more fresh snow in the next 24hrs. When we came down it was snowing again and looked like it would last for a while. It was raining again in the valley.

I hope you enjoy the photos. Go to https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/ if you want to see what conditions were like today.

Remember if you need your skis serviced for the current conditions or want to rent skis or snowboards. Go to Polaire Star ski shop at the bottom of the funicular in Bourg or book online. They have some great gear for rent.
https://www.polairestar.com/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What a day! POWDER above our knees and even higher at times!

Take a tour of today with us through the photos. They opened the Bellecote and we did a few laps of the bowl and hiked up and did the North Face. It seemed many people I know were taking the chance to do the North Face today before the next bad weather spell. Plenty of room to make your own tracks in fresh powder for everyone!

A special well done to one person into his 70's that did it for the first time today!

For those coming out soon, the fresh snow has really improved the pistes. They are firm with a fresh soft layer on top in most places. With more snow on the way, we could be skiing powder on the pistes shortly. All the pistes are skiable and you can reach every station without a problem. Great conditions on and off piste for the start of March. Very Happy snowHead

To see the photos please go to Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

Tomorrow is forecast to be bad weather, fingers crossed we get snow and not rain for some nice tree skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrived 2000 last night, just been down to 1950 shopping, sun shining and there seems to be lots of snow around. Off boarding in a while, more later.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thefatcontroller, have a great trip. Last week was awesome, with getting on for a metre of fresh over 10 days (plus a little bit of rain to 1800m). Should set things up perfectly for this week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, thanks, the forecast for this week ain't too bad either. I can't get toilets rolls here and back Saturday night is anyone needs any!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I can't get toilets rolls here and back Saturday night is anyone needs any!

? and no free newpapers in Les Arcs to act as subsitute

We stocked up our apartment in October with beer, wine, toilet and kitchen rolls. At the time the shear amount of toilet rolls looked silly, but for some reason our trip at the end of January resulted in a large number being consummed. I think we are down to our last half dozen.

Back to more serous matters - the vagere livecam is looking very busy. I thought it would quieten down a lot now the last of half term has gone. Is it just ski schools returning or is the resort really busy?

3 weeks to the day and I'll be on my way down to Les Arcs. We are thinking of going to La Rosiere for a day but wonder if La Thuile is in "lockdown"
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Back to more serous matters - the vagere livecam is looking very busy. I thought it would quieten down a lot now the last of half term has gone. Is it just ski schools returning or is the resort really busy?
There were no significant queues last week that I came across, other than the 9am queue for the Vagere on the snowy days (when the Carreley lift hadn't yet opened). I was expecting some queues, but even the Arcabulle was more or less ski on when I wanted to use it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, last week was looking to be quiet when our letting agency emailed us saying would we consider part week bookings. As it is the week went unlet. With exception of last week the apartment is let out from start of feb to mid March, when we reserved it for ourselves.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, last week was looking to be quiet when our letting agency emailed us saying would we consider part week bookings. As it is the week went unlet. With exception of last week the apartment is let out from start of feb to mid March, when we reserved it for ourselves.
Yes, perhaps quieter than usual. Was the best week of the season so far. Not one, but three blue-sky mornings with as much as 30cm of fresh snow. Tuesday was especially good, with boot deep powder-on-piste on the Golf red being a terrific way to start the day.

ski holidays
@rob@rar, Wow. I'm really jealous. Those reds down from the top of Vagere often have good powder on them and between them. One of my favourite areas after fresh snow fall
latest report
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, Wow. I'm really jealous. Those reds down from the top of Vagere often have good powder on them and between them. One of my favourite areas after fresh snow fall
Yeah, it was one of those days where you could just lap around Vagere and get fresh tracks on each run, starting on piste and then off to the side and then through the trees. Then they opened Arpette and Carelley...
snow conditions
Glorious sunny day. Went out around 12 and boarded, went to down Comborciere, up and down Mont Blanc to 1600, across to 1800, back up Carelly and down to mid station transarc, up that then blast over to Peisey, then up and back to 1800, and into bowl and home.

Had a g&t and pint lager in the terrace bar in 2000 at the end of the day and 20 euro. Drinking ain't cheap in France is it.

Photos hopefully offer better views, supposed to snow good tomorrow we shall see.

By top of Mont Blanc lift

1600, looking up.

Lunchtime and 15c by Cachette.

Down into the bowl form the run that leads to Lac. 2000 & 1950 in the distance

Looking across at the glacier from terrace bar in 2000

Lanchete lift from same bar
snow report
@thefatcontroller, thanks for the phototgraphs. It looks good at the moment.

Quote:

That run straight down to the Lac gully is one of my son's favourite runs.

I notice the huge lift queues at the Cachette lift.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@thefatcontroller, thanks for the phototgraphs. It looks good at the moment.

Quote:

That run straight down to the Lac gully is one of my son's favourite runs.

I notice the huge lift queues at the Cachette lift.

Busier than January but overall lift queues very small. Weather was so good many just relaxing in the sun.
latest report
Corona Virus update.
Some very bad news for those of us that like to travel over to Italy from La Rosiere for lunch in la Thuile. Here is the official notice. All Lifts will close as of 9 March until further notice. I do not think they are likely to reopen this season.

CORONAVIRUS UPDATE Aosta Valley government has decided with the lifts companies the closing of ski resorts
from tomorrow March 9th 2020 until further notice.

Right now La Rosiere is still open as are all areas in the Tarentaise valley. Let us hope the virus does not arrive here and they also close our ski areas.
snow report
News

Savoie Les Arcs: a skier jumps a rocky bar and falls 40 metres.

The PGHM men went to Les Arcs around 1:45 p.m. when a 47-year-old skier jumped a rock bar in the Grandes-Cascades sector. He fell 40 meters and suffered from heavy trauma. He was transported to the Grenoble University Hospital. A person accompanying him avoided the fall and escaped unharmed. Around 4:40 p.m., a new alert was given in the same sector. Two other skiers have apparently followed in the footsteps of the previous ones. A little luckier, they didn't jump the bar and just got stuck technically. At the same time, a 60-year-old man had a cardiac arrest on the slopes of the same station. It was dropped off at Chambéry Hospital around 5:50 p.m.
The Dauphiné Libéré

People really need to learn not to follow tracks. We saw a second one today! But they climbed back out. Not very nice, but it happens every year. I hope the first guy recovers in this report and also the guy with the heart attack. Really sad news.

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2020/03/08/savoie-les-arcs-un-skieur-saute-une-barre-rocheuse-et-fait-une-chute-de-40-metres?fbclid=IwAR1Kt28gVtSKC3z_uNvQyI9hqmAIdpoN579Uzm1kb1PlfwtG-NTbKIaSUHc
snow report
As forecast snowing nicely in Arc 2000.

Ro Coronavirus not seen any signs about it around the resort, came down in the Eurostar and even there all very normal. One local did say that those who have booked are turning up but there are no new bookings. Logically no one is booking new holidays at present. Anyway this virus is not the end of the world, far worse things happen daily. Enjoy work everyone.

ski holidays
On the plus side, looks like the domain is trying to get some cash through the doors by offering a 20% discount. Sadly does not cover the Easter Week that we will be there.
https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/offre-flash-web
ski holidays
Nothing much to report today, snowed early, stopped, then sun shone but we had personal stuff to attend to as looking to sell up in 2000 with a view to buy another apartment elsewhere in Les Arcs so had estate visits to sort.

When we eventually went out about around lunchtime it was snowing very heavily and visibility was awful. From top of Bois to 1600 was truly grim, under Areptte was total flat light and I'm not good in that. We spent some time in 1600 and got the bus back, by the time we got back around 4pm it was very warm. Basically we had 4 seasons in one day and we boarded one run. Much better than work though.
snow report
Snowing in Arc 2000, wind seems low but high winds are forecast and a very high snow line. We shall see....
ski holidays
Off down to Bourg on business but snowing heavy down at 1600. Looks like it’s been quite heavy overnight, road is a bit grim. On the Funicular now.
ski holidays
Mmm. Snowing heavy in Bourg, not sticking badly but memo to self. Don’t believe forecast, always wear snow shoes. I’m a bit slippy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Nothing much to report today, snowed early, stopped, then sun shone but we had personal stuff to attend to as looking to sell up in 2000 with a view to buy another apartment elsewhere in Les Arcs so had estate visits to sort.

Is this decsion due to the recent building work obscuring your view? Where in Les Arcs do you ancy moving to? And a question that worries me - what do you do about captial gains tax? As I see it if I sold my apartment in 1600 and bought another one of exactly the same value I would have to pay captial gains tax, because the pound lost 30% of its value over that period.

The flash sale of lift passes looks good for my neice who is joining us that week. I assume that if the Savoie follows Italy in closing ski resorts then the tickets would be refunded (all lifts in resort closed)
snow conditions
The live cams look interesting today. I am really looking forward to being there in 3 weeks time
latest report
Good amount of snow today, fine for playing in the trees, but sadly raining down at Peisey now, quite heavily.
It does mean that it should be better higher up when the sun comes out tomorrow. Very quiet on the lifts today, although Monday was busier, but only at the pinch points. No queue for the Vagere at any stage

Rob Hutchison is giving us some top tips - quite an alternative but liberating approach and I would describe it as coaching opposed to technical instruction. Good fun!
snow conditions
@johnE, Only thinking of selling as the apartment now too big and if we sell there should be enough equity to buy smaller for cash and rid ourselves of a French mortgage. If (70% likely we will) then we would buy again in 1950 or 2000, we like it up here. No building work in 2000 has affected us.

By the time we got back up from Bourg it looked grim out there so we didn't bother going out. May have rained low later but was dumping down in Bourg most of the day. Had a coffee in Charleys food place by the Funicular in Bourg today, hot coffee at last! Nice place. Some photos.

9.30am in 1950

On bus below Pre Saint Espirt on way to 1600 around 11am

Bourg station 2pm

Looking down from the bus stop in 1600 around 2.30pm
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
9.30am in 1950

Blimey, that's a lot of snow in 1950! Don't think I've seen that much before, in the centre of the village.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Yep, there was nothing there when we were over 1st week of January.
snow report
Just to let you guys know I'm in Bourg atm. Staying at Base camp Lodge and although it isn't finished yet, is a good addition to the Town. BC7 restaurant and bar attached to it seems very popular, especially when there's been live music. Rooms very reasonable price and value. Very obviously their first season, but I think a lot of other establishments are going to be worried. .

Skied Rosiere and Tuille Sunday before they're closed it, (glorious) : Arcs Mon and Tues, snow great, light truly awful. Ste Foy today OMG it is so hot that the pistes are sticky and melting.

All very empty except when snowing, when the entire Arcs clientele was over Piesey way. Took JohnEs advice and lunched at Vanoise hotel. Thumbs up.

Discovered the Petit St Bernard micro brewery in town, just down from huski. Patrick the Kiwi runs it, and a small speakeasy alike bar attached. Enjoyable range of bees. He's looking to expand production over the next few years. Look out for his stuff across the valley. Back there tonight for a pub quiz!

Tignes tomorrow, weather dependent, then Plagne Friday. Been a fun week based down the bottom of the hill.

Corona update: no reported cases in Bourg or the resorts, but 2 in Annecy apparently.
latest report
Made the mistake of going out a bit too early this morning, it was boiler plate on a board. Had a long coffee above 1800 and by the time we came back out the sun had softened things and it was glorious. Not much to report other than it was glorious, very hot by mid afternoon but snow conditions incredible.

Same a really nasty accident between 2 skiers on Mont Blanc above Club Med, think someone coming onto Mont Blanc didn't look and it was a huge hit. I was about 15 feet below so i called the SOS (number is stored on my phone but also can call via Yuge app) and 2 persons who were alongside stayed with them. Quite a bit of blood.

Only photo I took today was in 1950 and it was roof snow clearing. Not for me.....

snow conditions
Quote:

Took JohnEs advice and lunched at Vanoise hotel. Thumbs up.

We were in there too, good value and tasty.
@thefatcontroller, really not good first thing, but skiable heavy snow down from Col de la Chal vis Roseau to Nancroix later

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 11-03-20 22:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
Just to let you guys know I'm in Bourg atm. Staying at Base camp Lodge and although it isn't finished yet, is a good addition to the Town. BC7 restaurant and bar attached to it seems very popular, especially when there's been live music. Rooms very reasonable price and value. Very obviously their first season, but I think a lot of other establishments are going to be worried. .

Skied Rosiere and Tuille Sunday before they're closed it, (glorious) : Arcs Mon and Tues, snow great, light truly awful. Ste Foy today OMG it is so hot that the pistes are sticky and melting.

All very empty except when snowing, when the entire Arcs clientele was over Piesey way. Took JohnEs advice and lunched at Vanoise hotel. Thumbs up.

Discovered the Petit St Bernard micro brewery in town, just down from huski. Patrick the Kiwi runs it, and a small speakeasy alike bar attached. Enjoyable range of bees. He's looking to expand production over the next few years. Look out for his stuff across the valley. Back there tonight for a pub quiz!

Tignes tomorrow, weather dependent, then Plagne Friday. Been a fun week based down the bottom of the hill.

Corona update: no reported cases in Bourg or the resorts, but 2 in Annecy apparently.

You can also find my beer available at Base Camp, look out for Lost in the Woods on tap Wink
snow report
@timlongs, will do!
ski holidays
Decided to give the sun a chance to thaw the boiler plate so late morning start. Sun and clouds about so plenty of flat light which makes boarding more interesting. Went down to Peisey and 1600 snow conditions are fab for those coming out. Just started snowing lightly in 2000 and due to snow most of the night. Some photos.

A cloudy bowl

Ugly...

1600 mid afternoon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy