Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel etc - 19/20

Poster: A snowHead
How might someone get from Morzine to Lyon airport tomorrow?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DJL wrote:
@andyrew, that’s a fair old trek. Hope they don't have to wheel you out of Les Cornettes in a barrow. I’ve been on the receiving end of the portions!

It was a great day's skiing but I had to wheel him out of Les Cornettes like that and my back is still aching. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shep wrote:
Doh, family ski day tomorrow (and lunch at Chez Nannon Toofy Grin ). Monday? Or next w/e if we're still open Confused
Whoever deprived me from a Chez Nannon lunch on Saturday - damn you! It was our last chance Sad

And my fault for not booking earlier, but we had to be sure our little one could enjoy the ski from Chavannes to Nyon and back. That was supposed to be the end of season 3 yo bday treat.

Oh well, there's always next year!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi All,

I am looking to rebook my holiday for next year just transferring this years booking over. Which weeks would the snow be good but still considered a low week, I am not an off piste skier.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last week in January
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or first week in Feb (French holidays start Sat 6 Feb 2021) though that is less "low" season but with slightly longer days
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spotted on Les Gets Ranfoilly webcam today 3 people walking up Tulipe piste in shorts. Pretty safe bet they're more than 1k from home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chavannes and Nauchet opened their MTB lifts end of May, weekends only until full area opens on June 20th.

Hmmm.....what if it snowed next weekend down to 1500m? Highly unlikely to be skiable even if it did.....but would they still run the lifts with snow on the ground.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@polo, Does the forecast for LG say it will get THAT cold ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, no, close to zero chance I'd say, more likely 2000+m for anything that would actually stick around for a day, but obviously it can snow to 1500m late May, maybe once every 10 years....am just thinking it would be an ironic twist on the MTB'ing at xmas, which has of course happened. It's going to be a mud bath next weekend, so am eyeing up the 13th for first outing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@polo, you can't easily just turn uplift on and off like that...

Staff availability just one issue. Lifts will be in inter-season service mode (the ones that will open in summer) or in inter-season not running mode for those that won't.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, Sure...but they manage to convert MC ski lifts into MTB'ing in Dec right, staff in place etc so why not? As it stands now, Chavannes and Nauchet are running....they just fixed a bike attachment to the back of the chairs....so in fantasy land with 10-15cm fresh snow on the grassy pistes, would they run the lifts for bikers, or even let someone carry a board up?

I know it's a flat no.....insurance etc. More pressing issue is that the pubs open in 25mins
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve booked for Morzine next Easter, put the word out to skiing friends to see if anyone wanted to tag along and within 48 hours have 27 of us all with accommodation booked and deposits paid.

I have one question if anyone can help. Where’s the meeting point for Evolution2 in Morzine? Or do you need to get to Avoriaz first thing? If so is that doable with lift opening times?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have met them at their office in Avoriaz for lessons ( 5 mins uphill walk from Telepherique), but I'm pretty sure they'd meet to at the Place du Teleph if you ask them ( as its downhill from their office).

That's doable as you don't need proper ski lifts, just the bus and then the big cable car.
The bus starts at 8:30 and takes 6-7 minutes. The cable car starts at 8:00 and takes 5 minutes.
You ought to be able to get there for 9 given that there are not normally big crowds at Easter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. Do they not have a central meeting point with all their groups, flags, etc? I’d like to advise one ski school even though there’s a mix of kids and adults.
snow conditions
@RobH2017, Beginners in Avoriaz normally meet on the plateau, and others at the Telepherique.
You can get from Plateau to Teleph in about 30 - 40 seconds skiing, if in doubt you can go there.
The other way is 6 mins on a lift.
Really your best bet is to phone them and TELL Angel where you'd like to meet them.
latest report
C'est partie. Full area is open for MTB, with plenty of restaurants / bars / shops (ie carrefour) open in town as well. Didn't notice any restaurants open up on the pistes.
Reckon there were 500 bikers around by lunchtime today, mostly locals driving up I guess. Speaking to the bar gang last night it seems overseas bookings are still falling, more cancellations than new bookings for summer.

The DH and XC World Cup Finals are due to be hosted here 19-20th September, but no decision yet on whether it goes ahead.
https://www.worldcuplesgets.com/en/les-gets/world-cup-2020/

I forgot to bring a mask to the lifts this morning....but thankfully the new e-motor got me up the ski touring routes instead. Went over to Nauchet and caught a few tricky reds back to Chavannes. Slippy in the forests.

Those new blue snow cannons seem to be a permanent blot on the landscape (bottom of ranfoilly)
F6-A85-C41-DC01-404-B-B84-D-1227-D735-B797-1-105-c

New viewing / picnic platform looking into the bowl......still lots of ground works going on in the background towards Pierrieres lift, will get up for a close look next time.
FEBFD5-DD-6-A1-D-4-C09-A001-2-B4-EE6-D1-EE0-A-1-105-c

022-C6074-CE96-4-DEC-9544-E68-A21-A41-E30-1-105-c

Lake near the school was quiet
BBAE1-C1-D-1-A8-D-4829-B270-5-FEA636-DD460-1-105-c

MC lifts running too. Probably a good (drier) place to head after a wet spell.
DC5-DD7-C2-0932-47-BD-9-D71-AD1-B05256144-1-105-c

And this greedy pig (size of a small cow) wandered up to me and had a little chew on my right foot.
2-C98-CCD8-5-D67-49-D8-8-EBE-292-A8-E2-EDEBB-1-105-c
ski holidays
The annual village magazine arrived today with a good pic of Amaury Pierron on the cover crossing the line at last summers DH final.

It produces all sorts of stats on rain, snow, visitor numbers, major works, budgets etc.....here's a sample

2019 (jan-dec) was the second wettest year in the last 30 years with 3872mm of precipitation. Only 2016 was higher with 3930. The average seems to be about 2000mm per annum, so the recent 30 year trend is definitely rising. Lowest year was 1270mm in 1989.
Snowfall measured at 1240m was 549cm, which is at the top of the 30 year range as well. Good years tend to be 500-600, while poor years are typically 250-350cm. Way out on it's own is the year 1999 with 886cm, so almost 9m at village level..anyone remember it?

The week 16-22 Feb '19 recorded the highest ever number of lift passengers at 1,017,455. Previous record was 953k in Feb' 15.
The busiest day was Tues 19th Feb with 157k trips from 22000 clients.

Number of permanent residents recorded at 1266 as of 1/1/20, and so on.....
snow report
The World Cup finals in September have been cancelled.

But life goes on here, you really wouldn’t notice much difference to a normal summer (bar masks on lifts).
Roads were heaving with the usual mix of gangs of leather clad motorbikers and teams of skinny MAMILs.

Car parking in town has been reduced to allow bars and restaurants to put outdoor seating along the Main Street.
Each establishment is allowed max 35 customers and they all have to be seated 1m apart.

More and more British people arriving, all of them seem to have driven over. Many of them seem very cautious and knock on the pub door first with a polite “is it ok to come in?”
ski holidays
Wow, an average of 2000mm that’s a lot wetter than Fort William !
snow report
@Peter S, well you know....statistics....I suppose it depends what dates and who's compiling them.
Quick google check shows FW is 1777mm and LG is 1266mm. But I was just eyeballing the recent 30 year chart in the resort mag.....would still imply we've had 2 years recently with 300% of the annual rainfall totals.

snow report
@polo, ha ha just been reading your numbers above we sniwfall. 1999, I do remember well as the year we bought our plot of land. And it is two years today that we completed on the sale of the chalet.
latest report
Had the chance to join a guided E-MTB group yesterday, so spent 3 hours following this local guy Ben around. Did over 30km on dirt tracks starting in LG, heading down towards Essert Romand, then St Jean D'aulps, Morzine, up the plenney gondola and finished in the bowl back in LG. This guy Ben works as a liftie in Avoriaz in winter and has been living in town for 20 years, so super knowledgeable about touring routes etc, highly recommended - he works independently thru all the bike shops.

I haven't spent much time in Morzine for years, but really enjoyed the trails along the river, and there's definitely more of a buzz in town compared to LG. At one point along the river we came across a photographer taking shots of 2 completely naked blokes posing in the rapids, with their beards and long hair being flicked out of the water. Quite a sight, didn't stop long enough for a photo.

But one nice spot we cycled past was this remote farm selling fresh meat produce and cheese. Somewhere between SJD and Essert le Pierre.

ski holidays
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-exploring-les-portes-du-soleil-with-loris-vergier-romain-paulhan-and-more.html

this looks epic
snow conditions
^ La Tapiaz restaurant in that vid is a great spot, especially in winter when it's only accessible by hiking. It's only a 5min walk up from the parking and lift at Chery Nord but you need to call ahead and let them know you are coming if you want to be fed.

Right at the start of the popular touring routes up to Cols de Ratti, de la Basse and Chalune.

snow conditions
Just arrived in Morzine for 2 weeks, staying in the chalet we were supposed to be staying in in March, just as everything locked down. Our timing isn't great,we are fully expecting to have to quarantine when we get back to England!
Been looking at the lift ticket tariffs - can anyone tell me whether you can buy a card for 10 MTB rides, and use that one card for 10 people to go up as pedestrians? Or does everyone have to use a separate card?
ski holidays
I've used a winter points card for three people by passing it back over the turnstile, nothing wrong with that and it works. I don't know if it would work for an mtb pass, the problem if any would be if there's a delay programmed between uses (to prevent passing back a non-transferable card), no reason why there should be but who knows... Either ask at the ticket office or give it a punt.
snow report
@karin,
Is your Chalet provider multipass accredited?
If so they can give you a Discount voucher that you turn into a multipass.
It’s something like €2 per day if you can get the discount voucher for the discounted multipass.
That’s gets you on the chairlifts and gondolas free, in the swimming pool complex free and also lots of discounts at other activities. (Luge, high ropes, etc).
If your accom can’t get you a voucher then the multi pass still works out good value but is more that €2 per day.
If the multi pass is not for you then pedestrian passes are available. The MTB passes are more expensive Than the pedestrian passes or multipass.
The tourist office in the main square can advise and there is a lift pass office adjoining the tourist office.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@@247snowman, chalet provider is my aunt, and she's not Multipass accredited.
It's just that on the website it looks like pedestrian passes are only available singly for 5.40, but you can buy 10 MTB for 32.60, ie 3.26 each. I guess my question really is whether you can use the same card to get several people up a lift, whether it's MTB or pedestrian - I can't remember from our numerous previous visits!
ski holidays
@karin,
I don’t think you can split the MTb pass like you propose.
Have a good holiday
snow conditions
I managed to get Multipass rates in the lift office by grovelling !
latest report
Ok, so we successfully put 8 mtb tickets on one card at Supermorzine and passed the card back for the 4 of us to get up the 2 lifts.
I didn't try buying mtb passes for 6 pedestrians at Pleney, but the lady did let us all have family rate tickets even though we were 4 adults, a grown up son, and his girlfriend. Then we walked slowly back down to Nyon after a very good lunch at the Vaffieu.
Any suggestions for another restaurant in the area, up the hill, that would be good for another nice lunch later in our hols?
snow report
We really like L’Abricotine. Bus to Montriond, gondola up, walk up the valley, lunch then same in reverse. Not fancy but the staff seem genuinely happy to have you as customers which, surprisingly, is not universal.
snow report
Have a look at Walk No20. on the walking guide.

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/documents.html

Get the Navette to prodains, then up Prodains gondolla and walk from Avoriaz to the top of Super Morzine Gondolla then drinks/food at the top of super morzine gondolla. Couple of restaurants up there before using Super morzine to get back down to Morzine.

P.S. Free hard copies of the walking guide available in the tourist office.
latest report
@DJL, does the Ardent gondola run in the summer now? It never used to when we were there but not been back for two years. We always walked up the track to the Abricotine but came back along the river which was lovely.
snow report
@247snowman wrote:
Have a look at Walk No20. on the walking guide.

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/documents.html

Get the Navette to prodains, then up Prodains gondolla and walk from Avoriaz to the top of Super Morzine Gondolla then drinks/food at the top of super morzine gondolla. Couple of restaurants up there before using Super morzine to get back down to Morzine.

P.S. Free hard copies of the walking guide available in the tourist office.

Restaurant there called L'Passage, stopped there most days on the way back to Morzine. Lovely place.
ski holidays
@Pamski, that may be a very good point. I’ve never used it in summer. Embarassed
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
@Pamski, that may be a very good point. I’ve never used it in summer. Embarassed

It wasn’t running in mid-July when we were there (well it was running intermittently but not open to customers) - we had to drive up to Lindarets.
snow report
I think the reason they don't run it in summer is because most people drive up. They should close the road and run the gondola but I guess it's a public road/pass over to avoriaz
ski holidays
Thanks folks.
@DJL, we've eaten at L'Abricotine quite a lot in the Winter, and were picnicking up by the waterfall there on Tuesday. Hadn't thought about going there in Summer.
@@247snowman, never eaten in any of those restaurants, I'll have a look.
We've never seen the Ardent gondola running in the summer, and have been coming here on and off for 20 years, back before downhill biking was even a thing!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy