Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

360 Cameras

Poster: A snowHead
has anyone mounted a 360 camera on a helmet and got good results?? I'm hopefully doing some touring next weekend and wanting to stick the Max on my head and use the voice instructions. It appears from some google searches that having it horizontal is best to avoid it warping the helmet!

Tips here and video on helmet mounting, but interested in what folk have found skiing wise

https://360rumors.com/20-gopro-max-tips-tricks/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mounting on the helmet removes the ‘nicest’ perspective in my view which is from a selfie stick (invisible with the Max and the Insta)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never seem anyone helmet mount one outside of reviews.

For skiers they work reasonably well on a ski pole. Some technique is required (same as with a separate pole actually). Alternatively, a decently long pole is good for videoing someone else: you don't have to point the camera with a 360 camera. Just don't spike them with the pole and don't crash into them...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Selfie-stick:
Golf run from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/378107378
Seem to have deleted all Back pack mount, Quasi helmet mount, footage, makes the viewer feel quite queasy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
managed to get some footage with the GoPro Max offpiste, I was holding the selfie stick closer to my body, I think compared to the other video I did on piste, you get better results with your arm stuck out further from the body!

This was shot with the included "fish eye" covers, which protects the lens, but GoPro do say lowers the quality.

@Grinning, what selfie stick were you using, seems a bit longer than the one I used and hence a better perspective.

http://youtube.com/v/9McJDj6lRH0
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
@Grinning, what selfie stick were you using, seems a bit longer than the one I used and hence a better perspective.

Home-modded-telescopic ski pole with a threaded stud protruding from the handle...

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grinning - stupid question, but not used a 360 cam yet (but seriously considering taking the plunge!) - do you ski with the pole held like a normal ski pole, or are you using it like a traditional selfie stick? I just can’t figure it out from the video!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dashed wrote:
@Grinning - stupid question, but not used a 360 cam yet (but seriously considering taking the plunge!) - do you ski with the pole held like a normal ski pole, or are you using it like a traditional selfie stick? I just can’t figure it out from the video!

Traditional selfie-stick for me, I hold my poles in the other hand.

http://youtube.com/v/8krqEHrSRdM
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dashed, camera mounted on handle end. I hold at basket end. normal poling action on other hand - i.e. no need to hold two poles in one hand.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found this video gives a great demonstration of the various mounting options

http://youtube.com/v/aOQ0UCotzSY
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice one - found that video really helpful.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
*great* vid thanks for finding!

Top tip on exposure lock if mounting on helmet, must go do that!

So I also love the idea of a longer pole held with your ski pole, off to also find a longer thinner pole........
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought an extendible 3 metre long carbon fibre selfie stick with screw mounts on off amazon for about $20. Doesn't weigh much, is a bit flexy, collapses down reasonably small - get some great angles with it, but probably a bit dodgy for using at speed or where a crash could happen Very Happy

There are lots of cheap options around. For surfing I use 1 metre sections of gopole tubes, which are pretty tough and float. 1 or 2 gets interesting perspectives, and they just screw on to standard tripod mounts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My current pole is two sections of one of these: http://www.rode.com/accessories/microboompolepro which I found on eBay new for £25.
I think that's the perfect length, although that depends somewhat on the focal length of your camera I suppose.
The threads are standard large tripod sized (3/8 American) so you need an adaptor to bring it down to GoPro 1/4.
Carbon fibre and pretty stiff. I don't generally crash, but if I did I'd be mostly worried about finding the thing as I'd drop it 1st.

I'm not sure how well any of this works for skiers who are already armed with sticks.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wonder if you could get something that connected to the top of a ski pole, over your hands so you could hold and ski "normally" with the pole, whilst having the max "sticking" out at 90 degrees to the ski pole?

Also noticed the £100 trade in has been opened up for the 360 https://gopro.com/en/gb/shop/tradeup
snow conditions
Quote:

Also noticed the £100 trade in has been opened up for the 360 https://gopro.com/en/gb/shop/tradeup

Ooh, I thought. That looks interesting. Can anyone tell I'm getting seriously interested in one of these?

It's a shame its a direct thing as the saving vs buying elsewhere online ends up being just a little over £30.
snow report
Nice firmware update for the Max!

MAX Update v1.50 | May 6, 2020
MAX v1.50

NEW FEATURES

360 Mode: Adds 3K video at 60/50 fps.
360 Mode: Adds time lapse video and photo.
HERO Mode: Extends horizon leveling capability to HERO TimeWarp and Photo modes.
PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Boosts media offload speed to the GoPro app.
ski holidays
I have tried twice to order a Max from GoPro direct using the trade in deal and no luck. The order gets processed but I never receive the email that gives you the details and shipping labels to return your old go pro. giving up on the £100 off deal and just going to buy from a retailer..
ski holidays
@skimottaret, have you tried their chat? I was online to them and they just gave me a code to fix the issue!

I tinkered a bit with my Max videos taken at Glencoe, there is some sun spots and some stitch lines visible, I think that's due to me having the included fish bowl lens covers fitted at the time.

http://youtube.com/v/Ov5_NjiSDTc
ski holidays
Don't feel this bit of news deserves its own thread so going to add on to this one.

Insta 360 One x2 camera was announced today:

- Full-colour touchscreen
- Longer battery life
- IPX8 water esistance

Launch price is $429.99

http://youtube.com/v/bTur9smuuk4
snow report
just to bump an old thread
Has anyone got he Insta360 One R? (supposed to be a 3d mount coming out)
or the EVO? (not sure if its been discontinued)

I have an oculus quest 2 & want to do some 3d footage.
My 360 cheap samsung looks flat & dull.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
just to bump an old thread
Has anyone got he Insta360 One R? (supposed to be a 3d mount coming out)
or the EVO? (not sure if its been discontinued)

I have an oculus quest 2 & want to do some 3d footage.
My 360 cheap samsung looks flat & dull.

Tried the Insta360 and it’s better than my GoPro Hero 8 IMO based on first attempt. This is just set to track my daughter

http://youtube.com/v/vOEnZTRZzfk
snow conditions
@BobinCH, did you not have it in 360 mode as the beauty of these cameras imho is to change the viewing angle etc throughout the films.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, did you not have it in 360 mode as the beauty of these cameras imho is to change the viewing angle etc throughout the films.

Yes that’s in 360 mode tracking my daughter
Maybe this shows it better

http://youtube.com/v/LSijjKQ4Sgo
latest report
@BobinCH,

I managed to track down an Evo from USA, so going to be stung with import & VAT duties.

While I know it is not as good as the One R, insta have not played ball with a promised 3d mount.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
@BobinCH,

I managed to track down an Evo from USA, so going to be stung with import & VAT duties.

While I know it is not as good as the One R, insta have not played ball with a promised 3d mount.

I just stuck it on my helmet mount. The tracking capability is excellent. Assume by 3d mount you mean a retractable mount attached to helmet or backpack?
@Weathercam, mounted one on a stick attached to his ski pole to get shots of himself but I’m not as good looking as him...
snow report
@BobinCH,
there was supposed to be a mount for using 2x One R side by side to produce 3d video in 180
snow report
@BobinCH, yeah that looks very smooth! Did that automatically track or did you edit from front focus to rear in the app afterwards??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spotted this yesterday, which shows how impressive the Insta 360 can be
https://twitter.com/i/status/1380143121493819392
snow report
@BobinCH, great videos! I've got the Insta 360 One X as well, and it really is a beautiful camera. Footage is so smooth, easy to edit.

Many years ago I used to have a gopro hero 4, and used to love making video's - however, I fell out of love with it a little after a few years as it felt like everyone was making just as good videos with just their phones, especially as it didn't have stabilisation at that point. The insta was a huge step up, and suddenly I'm back in love with making short videos again.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, yeah that looks very smooth! Did that automatically track or did you edit from front focus to rear in the app afterwards??

Just clicked the tracking option, highlighted my daughter and the software did the rest. Super easy
snow report
@BobinCH, sounds better than my GoPro 360 then! But main reason I got the GoPro was it’s waterproof whereas I thought the insta needed a case. Is that still the situation???
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, sounds better than my GoPro 360 then! But main reason I got the GoPro was it’s waterproof whereas I thought the insta needed a case. Is that still the situation???
The updated version of the Insta360 One X, the X2 is waterproof without a case.
snow conditions
Sticking it in a back-pack or looking like a unicorn with an extension on your helmet, apart from looking like a complete idiot will not be too good if skiing in trees plus the shots of using it in a back-pack are not that good from a couple of times trying it.

I've now filmed using mine 15 or so times and I'm probably using it now to get stills as can't keep producing videos after every sortie Laughing

If we get the snow that is forecast tomorrow Monday I'm going to try and do another video concentrating more on the set-up and how I film using it with the ski-pole etc

More on that here

https://www.stylealtitude.com/gopro-max-360-skiing-how-to-film-and-mount-camera.html

What we're finding is that the pole you have the selfie stick mounted to is best reduced in length by around 20cms to offset balance issues!

It also takes a while to try and ski normally with two poles and just forget about the stick, best shots are had when you're cranking more and the camera arm is more level with your head etc plus the longer the selfie stick the better the shot but you get a bit more perceived wobble.

Also the GoPro Tripod / Selfie stick, whilst a great bit of kit, is just too bulky to attach to the ski-pole, and or hold at the same time.

A couple of old school toe-clip straps are great to hold the selfie-stick to the ski-pole.

And try and smile I was amazed at how my face/tongue contorted in a myriad of ways (most none too flattering) with concentration.

What we haven't quite sussed is skiing close together as we've had some near misses Laughing

360 video

http://youtube.com/v/1xqiurUSw6E
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
......If we get the snow that is forecast tomorrow Monday I'm going to try and do another video concentrating more on the set-up and how I film using it with the ski-pole etc......

Et voila

http://youtube.com/v/9AFJnEOOMeo
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Et voila
Bravo!
Looks a good solution to using a 360 camera without losing the use of a ski pole.
latest report
@Weathercam, looks great, you say one ziptie (which I guess you need to cut off???) and a bike strap? Do you just wrap it around in a figure of 8? I tried holding mine with the ski pole but yours looks a much neater solution!
latest report
@kitenski, I just have the one cable tie around the two poles, and I cut that right back, see images below, and more images here then with the strap I put that on the opposite side, and pull tight which in effect tightens the cable tie side.

You'll work it out with some experimentation, and like I said I no longer take the straps off, which you can get off Fleabay, or you could use another cable-tie instead, which could be a firmer fit.

ski holidays
@Weathercam, thanks - very useful.
ski holidays
Is the Max as good / easy as the Inst? Seems it doesn’t have the deep tracking option which was my fave feature on the Insta app
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy