Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa: Champoluc, Gressoney, Alagna

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone stayed at the Monboso? Looking at a trip later in the season but need to find a TO that will cater for single rooms (dwindling ski group, and TO offerings are easier). Monboso has come up as an option. I've stayed at the DuFour in the gnarlibug, happy enough with the skiing on offer but wondering about that hotel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nbt, I have stayed at the Monboso three times. It was full board, don't know if there are other options. This worked well for the ski club that I was with as we didn't need to organize lunch for the kids. Food was really good, rooms finished to a high standard with comfortable beds.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
looks pretty gnar - nice full send for a little guy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, thanks, definitely an option then
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Woooooohooooo.

It's snowing.

Been gently snowing since around 2pm.

Perhaps 5cm so far up top. Road on Staffal looking well white. Which is a mixed blessing as our hire car is on summer tyres with snow chains and I'm wondering if I'm illegal?

Not too concerned about the practicalities yet as the snow is forecast to stop tomorrow morning then two sunny warm dry days before we leave. We'll just take the ski bus tomorrow.

I hope. eek
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I may have timed this right for once, arrived in Italy today, snowing this evening right down in Aosta Valley at 550m, must be puking it down up on the mountains. Sun should appear sometime in the morning. Looking good for the weekend!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dontcha know it Luigi

About 10cm at Staffal just now. If the lifts do open tomorrow then it will be epic up top tomorrow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did it snow overnight?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes absolutely stacks. (Well, more than forecast anyway)
Maybe about ten inches or so. Difficult to tell as the wind picked up in the night.
Variable quality though, nice in the trees at Weissmatten and crusty up top at Staffal
Lovely and soft for the kid landing jumps in the trees.....

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice. Popping over for the weekend tomorrow. Looking forward to the food wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, 20cm or so, maybe 25cm. Transformed the pistes, although rather heavy snow off-piste. Had a great day's skiing today.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
J2R wrote:
although rather heavy snow off-piste.

Glad it wasn't just me. Hard work
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, tried some off-piste alongside the Salati-Gabiet run, which was a little challenging, with constantly changing texture. Chickened out back on to the piste. Trees under Seehorn lift looked nice but didn't get a chance to test.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
J2R wrote:
Yes, 20cm or so, maybe 25cm. Transformed the pistes, although rather heavy snow off-piste. Had a great day's skiing today.

wink Got there in the end J2R
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Punta Indren open tomorrow.

How easy is the easiest route?
snow conditions
With new snow, no harder than a steepish black. The Canale dell'Acquila has a narrow but not long couloir which is fine when snow is fresh but less fun when icy and mogulled. Should be OK tomorrow, I imagine, as it's pretty high up and won't have been tracked today. I plan to do it myself.
snow conditions
Have PMd You.
ski holidays
Just be aware folks, that they do occasionally control the Punta Indren lift for avvy kit ...
snow conditions
Well the missus decreed we'd do Punta Indren with the kids. We were quite nervous about route finding so it took a while, but the sprogs were fine once we got going. Did the open gully slope to skiers' right of what I guess is the Candle.

TBH it was already too hot in the late morning. Found some much better fresh powder on some north facing slopes later in the day which skied much nicer. Still was good to try it.

snow report
@TheGeneralist, did the kids have avvy kit (just out of nosiness).

We’ve been checked a couple of times, I am assuming nervousness correlated with expected risk.
latest report
Wanted to do stuff off Punta Indren but wife deterred by generally crap snow conditions up top, with hard wind-blown crust, so bailed in the end. TBH puzzled by how much conditions on and off piste had degenerated since yesterday. Not a great day's skiing.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@TheGeneralist, did the kids have avvy kit (just out of nosiness).

Yes of course Very Happy Pieps, shovel, probe and airbags. We even practiced in the Artva Campo earlier in the week when most of the lifts were shut.

Obviously that's only part of the bigger picture but I'm trying to do the right thing with them. Part of me thinks it's evil even taking them off piste and part of me knows they'll be going off piste on their own in a few years anyway so I might as well share my meagre knowledge and encourage them to learn as much as they can.

Difficult choices to make though

Cheers
ski holidays
J2R.

Are you still there? We made a crucial ( and yet obvious in hindsight) discovery late yesterday afternoon after lots of sunny sludgy off piste, loads of breakable crust and loads of nasty strastrugi (sp)

Eventually we found a section of northish facing sheltered powder under a cliff and it was sublime, even at 3pm. .
Search it out
ski holidays
At the top of the first gondola from Staffal is the small chair that services the jumps park, and the start of the long gondola up to the Alagna coll and Punta Indren télésiège.....

Just above the junction is a lovely crescent shaped cornice (a tiny one) ....
(Shown better on the photo on page two). The snow here was great all day, never got hard or soft/slushy/sticky. At exactly the same aspect, but much bigger is a lovely slope below/alongside a tiny cliff. Behind it. Ie take the Two person chair from Town (the tiny one that is always open) then take the next chair and head sharp left.

I'll try and get the photos off my camera

Anyway, long story short, there is great snow there but you need to look for sheltered sections out of the sun.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 16-02-20 10:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@TheGeneralist, well done. I agree with you, best get it habitual. We tend to always kit up now as you always find a little stash when you aren’t “carrying” and have to ski it anyway Twisted Evil

We only possess one airbag so it never gets used he he he.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
I agree with you, best get it habitual. We tend to always kit up now as you always find a little stash when you aren’t “carrying” and have to ski it anyway

Doh. We totally did that on Tuesday. Rocked up at Weissmatten to find it had a lovely dump of fresh snow that the rest of the valley had missed.
Only had one Pieps between us, which is kinda useless.

Quote:

We only possess one airbag so it never gets used he he he.

After much cogitating, I decided to buy two this year. The kids wear them. The thinking was that having four might make us take more risks and thus actually subject the kids to more danger than not having them.
snow report
@TheGeneralist, titter.

On the airbag front, I know someone in Chamonix who stopped carrying his as he was sure it was making him less risk averse.

Tootled around with the niblings today. Flat light. But all good. I suspect some reasonable h.p. to be found.
latest report
@TheGeneralist, I think I know where you mean. Thanks for the tip - alas, too late, as I headed off home yesterday!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Visited Champoluc montarosa yesterday, excellent conditions, blue bird day, and they'd had enough overnight snow to give a nice layer to ski on. Very impressed with the ski area, cruisy reds, great vertical and really long runs and fast 'ups', not crowded at all. 38 restaurants, so finding a place for coffee and lunch is no issue. Very Happy

Not the place to go on poor weather as wind and pooor visibility would soon shut it down as the links over the peaks are high. But right up there in best places to ski on a sunny day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy