Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2023-2024

Poster: A snowHead
It is September so probably time to look at the 2023/24 season. We could really do with this being a good one. We have had two poor snow seasons (although the last one finished off well – after most people had finished skiing!) and the two before that were decimated by anti-Covid measures. So 2018/19 was the last proper good season. We had a nice dump of snow all the way down to village level near the end of August (all melted now except up top of course) so hopefully that is an encouraging harbinger for the new season.

The big news this season is the lift between Klein Matterhorn (the highest point in the ski area) and Testa Grigia, the station sitting on the Swiss/Italian border. This has been running for a couple of months now. This means you can now travel between Zermatt and Cervinia all the way without stepping into skis/snowboard. Bluntly this is mainly for the tourists on foot traffic in the summer (and priced accordingly) but it does mean that beginners and nervous intermediates can make it all the way from one side to the (relatively) easier sections on the other side without skiing some of the tricky high slopes

The new cabin lift from Zematt to Furi is opening soon (in time for the ski season) – this will link with the Furi to Trockener Steg cabin lift. This will run parallel to and should take some of the pressure off the existing Matterhorn Express gondolas. This is good for peak times as the queue at the Matterhorn Express lift first thing in the morning could be a bit of a pain.

Happy skiing everyone.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnMo, I look forward to reading your reports for the coming season and hope the snow is good. Will probably not make it to Zermatt this year due to other trips but hopefully will return in 2025.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JohnMo, good luck this year. Saw something today suggesting long term forecast / set up for a cold Winter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JohnMo, yes let’s hope for a good year, we’re back again in Feb, 12 of us this time, so I’m really hoping for a good one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent, the 23/24 thread. Winter is coming my friends.

Already booked in for an early December long weekend before the season kicks off and then a few weeks in Jan and Feb. Excited to get back on skis now.

Wishing you all a great season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Some of you might remember that last year was meant to be the first World Cup downhill race from Klein Matterhorn down to Laghi Chime Bianche in November. Unfortunately while there was some good early October snow (so the glaciers were in good shape after a disastrous summer) it then stopped - meaning that they just couldn’t get s track built between the end of the glacier on the Italian side down to Laghi Chime Bianche. So the races were called off.

The races are scheduled again for this year and they have been planning ahead. On the Italian side they farmed a load of snow under canvas from last season. They reckon 70% of the snow will survive. Here is a photo of the farmed snow courtesy of Matterhorn Chalets.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a new webcam at the Monte Rosa hut:-
https://zermatt.roundshot.com/monterosa/#/

Piste looks in good nick.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mark the calendars - 2nd December official winter season opening date. I wonder if this year they will be able to stick to it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zermatt Matterhorn Glacier Paradise September 13th 2023 - River Radamus of the #USSkiTeam training superG

Conditions looking good for what is just about the worst time of year before temperatures drop and (hopefully) October brings snow.

https://fb.watch/n45cUjWUqZ/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Worth a watch to see how the glacier is faring over the summer.

http://youtube.com/v/CwEDpkQldyI
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Always nice to see when they have the confidence to build the snow track from the end of the lower glacier to Trockener Steg. That is where the Autumn skiing will start up next month. Some decent precipitation and lowish temperatures this coming weekend. So hopefully some of that is snow at that level.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
October is the month of waiting for the Furggsattel lift (and the pistes on the lower glacier) to open up. This Saturday is the “earliest possible date” that they would open it up (although it has never opened on the earliest date in the ten years I have closely followed this). Looking at the projections (above average temperatures and no precipitation in the reliable range) I think we can confidently say it won’t be opening on Saturday. Still skiing to be had on the upper glacier of course.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JohnMo, Thanks for the continued updates. Assuming that Furggsattel does open by late November what might typically be open in the last week of November (i.e. immediately before the official opening on 2nd December? Can you normally ski down to Furgg and get the gondola back up or is it just down to Trockener Steg?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DCG wrote:
@JohnMo, Thanks for the continued updates. Assuming that Furggsattel does open by late November what might typically be open in the last week of November (i.e. immediately before the official opening on 2nd December? Can you normally ski down to Furgg and get the gondola back up or is it just down to Trockener Steg?

The Swiss are dreadful: timetables must be obeyed. Furggsattel down to Trockener Steg will be open (it has always opened some time in October) and the lift via Schwarzsee and Furgg will run from 11 November. However, while not unknown, they are reluctant to open the runs down to Furgg until 2 December (when most of the resort opens up).

The Italians are much better and when they can they will run pistes down to Cime Laghi Bianche (from Test Grigia on the border) and open the chairlifts and pistes above Plan Maison (which can be accessed from Switzerland via Theodulpass).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If gfs current forecast holds, a nice overdue cooling to below freezing at village level from around the 20th.
snow conditions
Temperatures still too high but looking better medium term. That precipitation forecast for this weekend should be snow up on the lower glacier and hopefully sufficient to get the Furggsattel lift running next week.

ski holidays
@JohnMo, chance of the Ski race happening this year then?
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
@JohnMo, chance of the Ski race happening this year then?

Still three weeks to go and lots of positives in the medium term forecast. The glacier section is in great condition- see this promotional training video shot a couple of weeks ago.

The tricky bit - and last year’s problem is the end of the glacier on the Italian side down to the finish at Liaghi Cime Bianche (which is at 2800m). Last year it was too warm to create snow. This year they have farmed a load of snow from last season. So even if it is as bad as last year they still might be able to run the race. Of course we all hope it will not be that warm - no reason at present to think it will be.

http://youtube.com/v/GwHrH-9rgcE?si=nmP5ijoO6xWYUFnI
snow conditions
Slightly faster than I come down there!
ski holidays
@Run28, How disappointing: I thought that was going to be another group skiing the actual face of the Matterhorn.
latest report
Well some snow has arrived. The cams are showing cover to just above Plan Maison....
snow conditions
Gaz_H wrote:
Well some snow has arrived. The cams are showing cover to just above Plan Maison....

Yep. The snow line was above 2500. That is OK for now as it helps the autumn skiing area from Furggsattel down to Trockener Steg (2900m) open up and helps the World Cup racing course down to Laghi Cime Bianche (2800m).

More snow due tomorrow and temperatures falling so snow line should be lower.
latest report
Planning a trip to Zermatt this season. Should I go March 3-9 or March 10-16?
ski holidays
The speed opening is in danger but not due to snow problems...

https://www.20min.ch/story/zermatt-sofortiger-baustopp-weltcup-piste-liegt-ausserhalb-des-skigebiets-943944303169
latest report
stevesie wrote:
Planning a trip to Zermatt this season. Should I go March 3-9 or March 10-16?

It won’t make much difference. The first week has a few of the European half terms going on. So it might be a little busier and a bit more expensive. The snow should be just as good in either week but the second week the days are just that little bit longer.
snow report
Lol.

Digging up a 20,000-yearold glacier for a tiny 1-day skirace.

latest report
Yesterday’s snow was down to 2000m. The lower glacier is now looking very good. They should be able to open it any time they want to now. More snow on the way for the coming week.

ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Lol.

Is this accurate?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been going to Cervinia/Zermatt every late November for the past 3 seasons to kickstart the season, always got good conditions taking into consideration how early it is. Weird enough, the best one(snow wise) was in December 2020, VERY cold and good conditions.

Just booked from November 30th to December 5th this time, just in time to get Valtournenche's side opened.... 5 weeks to go, can't wait! snowHead
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Lol.

although tis photo ist from Pitztal i think from 2019

It is important to point out that the image POW shared on this petition as well as social media was not from Zermatt or from this year but rather from diggers on the Pitz glacier in Tyrol, Austria, in 2019, which some critics have called extremely misleading.
snow conditions
Run28 wrote:

Is this accurate?

@turms2 ‘s statement re the photo is accurate.

The environmentalists have objected to all developments up on the glacier, including the new lifts up there.

Zermatt does use a digger like that in the photo in the summer. They build the lower track (and metal tunnel) that takes you from Klein Matterhorn to the summer skiing area. The snow they take to build the track they use to top up the ski area snow if required. The glacier itself is never touched and the area used for the World Cup race is within the boundaries of summer/autumn ski area.
snow conditions
As always WhiteGold utilising the Donald Trump misinformation method to stir up anxiety!
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
The glacier itself is never touched and the area used for the World Cup race is within the boundaries of summer/autumn ski area.

Aren't both those claims being disputed by the local TV news report? i.e the news report says that snow is being removed from the Theodul glacier and also that the planned WC race course lies in part outside the agreed ski area? Anyway the cantonal authorities are investigating so hopefully the true situation should soon become clear.
ski holidays
On some maps the Venetina/Valtournanche glacier is labelled as the Theodul glacier and the CATs in the linked article are definitely working on that glacier (and the works have been visible on the Plateau Rosa webcam)... so mostly on the Italian side. The race piste definitely cuts the corner off the existing piste in Swiss territory... but most of the storage lifting and shifting has been on Italian land... afaikt
ski holidays
@Wildsmith I see what you mean. Still misleading to use photos of work in Italy to illustrate a case being taken to the Swiss authorities. You are correct that the course cuts the corner in Testa Grigia. But that was in the plans from the start and was the same last year (before it had to be abandoned). They had approval for that.

Putting to one side the rights or wrongs of the environmentalists’ case, using legal or quasi-legal means at the last moment to get something blocked is a fairly standard tactic. Particularly as they did the same thing over the Testa Grigia lift I would think the race organisers will not be surprised and will have their answers ready.

Ha. Twenty minutes after my post, this was issued. Not quite as prepared as I might have thought. I wonder what the “small area” is.

Quote:

Valais Building Commission issues ban on use

Today, 12:31 p.m

According to the Valais Building Commission, some of the installations for the Ski World Cup in Zermatt are located outside the approved ski area.
They have therefore issued an immediate ban on the use of the affected facilities outside the approved zone.
The building commission announced on Tuesday that it was unable to fly to the Theodul glacier in Zermatt to view the area and carry out measurements because of the bad weather. They were therefore unable to determine whether the work carried out was carried out in accordance with the plan of the planned downhill slope submitted by the organizer.

Very small area affected
However, based on the plan of the proposed downhill slope, the Commission has already established that some of the installations are located on a very small area outside the approved ski area on Swiss territory.

An appeal can be lodged against this decision. A possible order for restoration of the site and any fine would be analyzed at a later date.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-10-23 12:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Info issued by the Tourist Office yesterday.

Quote:
Terrain adjustments have been made in the Wolli beginners' park Sunnegga, making the first attempts on the snow even more fun, safe and enjoyable – with breathtaking views of the Matterhorn included.
The descent from Matterhorn Glacier Paradise towards Trockener Steg has also been improved. The Gandegg piste (number 73) has been designed to ensure a pleasant return journey to Trockener Steg with no uphill section.
The international ski area offers up to 360 km of fun on the slopes. Those who want to experience a little Italian hospitality can cross the border at over 3,000 m above sea level. The Plateau Rosa - Bontadini piste (number 6) has been renewed and improved for this purpose.
Work has also been carried out next to the runs and the new Matterhorn Express valley station will be ready in a beautiful wooden exterior from December 2023. The entrances to the new cable car and to the existing Matterhorn Express are at ground level, with ski lockers available, which can be used to leave items.

I will miss the uphill section on piste 73 coming down from Klein Matterhorn or the border crossing. It allowed us regulars to tuck down and straight line from high up to get across it, while smugly going past those not familiar with it who were swearing in various languages while poling themselves along. However if there was a decent northerly wind no amount of tucking and straight lining would get you the whole way.

Piste number 6 (an Italian piste in Swiss territory) is the one that takes you through the Theodulpass and into the main Cervinia bowl (ie not down the Ventina). The return part of that route is the one that collapsed last year, meaning you couldn’t get back to Switzerland that way (well you could - but you weren’t supposed to).
latest report
JohnMo wrote:

Ha. Twenty minutes after my post, this was issued. Not quite as prepared as I might have thought. I wonder what the “small area” is.

Quote:

Valais Building Commission issues ban on use

Today, 12:31 p.m

According to the Valais Building Commission, some of the installations for the Ski World Cup in Zermatt are located outside the approved ski area.
They have therefore issued an immediate ban on the use of the affected facilities outside the approved zone.
The building commission announced on Tuesday that it was unable to fly to the Theodul glacier in Zermatt to view the area and carry out measurements because of the bad weather. They were therefore unable to determine whether the work carried out was carried out in accordance with the plan of the planned downhill slope submitted by the organizer.

Very small area affected
However, based on the plan of the proposed downhill slope, the Commission has already established that some of the installations are located on a very small area outside the approved ski area on Swiss territory.

An appeal can be lodged against this decision. A possible order for restoration of the site and any fine would be analyzed at a later date.

The race organisers have confirmed that they are not going to appeal. They say they will route the course round the “small area” the commission thinks is not in the ski area and that it will not impact the races going ahead on the scheduled dates.
snow report
Another decent fall of snow overnight up high. The lower glacier is now well and truly covered and the track from the glacier to Trockener Steg has been prepared for some time. Got to believe they will open up the Furggsattel lift tomorrow.

snow conditions
Early November starting to look promising
snow report

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy