Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

jedster wrote:
@ster,

I think those area will open up by HT - closed for avalanche risk but I think that will stabilise

Including Telebaby?

well I was replying to the point about BLACK runs so wasn't including Telebaby. Very Happy

I THINK telebaby only opens at peak times when there is snow in the village which isn't that often. Could well be open at HT this year I would think.

Biggest issue for HT will be the Col chair which is out of action again. Don't know what the prognosis is.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last month (after the big snowfall towards the start of the month) Telebaby was open at weekends.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="jedster"]

well I was replying to the point about BLACK runs so wasn't including Telebaby. Very Happy

Got that Smile , I was just wondering about TELEBABY, especially why its not open when LOYERS on the other side seems to be. I guess no point opening both if its not a peak weekend. Are they both free lifts?

Yes, not having COL would be a pain, I liked the Plans run. If you ski over the top to Hautluce can you can still get back via CHOTON then PLAN lifts or does PLANS not quite get you back up and over? Depending on which piste map you look at it could leave you a little short and I can't recall.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The two drag lifts are sufficient to get you all the way to the top without walking.

Not ideal for peak season though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ster,

Telebaby is on the sunny side of the valley. Loyers is pretty shady and nearer to the village centre. Together that explains why Loyers is open more often. No doubt conditions would be very nice on Telebaby at the moment but plentiful capacity at Loyers outside peak weeks.
I don't think Loyers is free now (except for night skiing) but you can pay by the trip or for a book of tickets rather than buying a full pass. Suspect Telebaby is the same but dont know.

@denfinella,
Quote:

The two drag lifts are sufficient to get you all the way to the top without walking.

Not ideal for peak season though.

Yeah this. Col had problems at NY and most of the runs to Hauteluce had barriers across them saying the lift wasn't working. They were basically deterring too many skiers from going down given the limited uplift capacity of the drags. It actually worked well and meant you could have a lovely quiet ski down to Hauteluce (don't tell everyone!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks both. I'll only pass on the info about being able to ski back from Hauteluce if COL is still cactus to my friend and swear him to secrecy!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi. We'll be in St Gervais 9th-16th March. It's our first trip there, having previously stayed in Chamonix. However we fancy a bit more touring in the Aravis so St Gervais seems a great base. We will also have our 4 year old with us and we'd like him to have a couple of private ski lessons if possible. We've used a "recommended by Snowheads" ESF instructor in the past for trips to Les Arcs (who has been brilliant), and were wondering if anyone could recommend someone in St Gervais?

He's got his Flocon, but hasn't quite mastered pas tournant for 1er etoile. We'd like to avoid group lessons if possible as he's a bit young to be out with a group as he'll likely be the smallest (he's very short for his age). We had a bad experience with an ESF instructor in Chamonix who just didn't seem to like kids and don't want to put him through that again - hence ideally wanting to use someone people have positive experiences of.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never been here before and we are all pretty impressed.
he apartment is in a fabulous location:
5m to cash machine
6m to ski bus stop
10m to the supermarket
40m to the boulangerie
50m to Le Grande

Then this afternoon was the first serious skiing and although it was overcast we loved it.
I just bruised my ego a bit right on the last 10 metres of the day by just managing to miss everybody as I slithered into the orange netting and fence just where the cluster was taking their skis off to descend the steps to the car park.

I'm feeling my age now as I find I can't quite keep up with my daughter or my 6 year old granddaughter.

Great day and looking forward to getting out for an adventure in the sun tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrLawn, might see you in other pub, up hill from Grange for Man U PSG game tonight
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My family and I are heading out to Les Contamines on the 16th (arriving late at night). I'll try to keep this post updated every day or so with how the weather is looking ... it's forecast to be warm and sunny , but I never usually trust any weather forecast that's longer than 48 hours Smile This is only our second skiing holiday ... and the excitement is building Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hoppity, I can't recommend an ESF instructor in St Gervais but BASS have a good reputation and a branch in Megeve/St Gervais/les Contamines (although they are likely to be more expensive than ESF): https://www.britishskischool.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, quick question.
We arrive in Megeve on Saturday and I was wondering if there were any ski lockers to rent at the foot of the Mont D'arbois lift?
We have our own kit so will not be hiring.
Thanks
Stu
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Stu, I'm sure someone else will answer that one,we just went over there for lunch today and it was so sunny, and the pistes are in good nick, my son in law reports that if you just go two lifts over there is hardly anyone using those pistes.

I just wish I'd taken a peaked cap and sunglasses for sitting on the terraces.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NatalieG wrote:
@Hoppity, I can't recommend an ESF instructor in St Gervais but BASS have a good reputation and a branch in Megeve/St Gervais/les Contamines (although they are likely to be more expensive than ESF): https://www.britishskischool.

Thanks. We may opt for BASS if we can't find a recommendation - it seems a safer bet in terms of getting someone who will be fun/tolerant of our son. The cost difference will mean fewer lessons and more time skiing with us and copying our bad habits Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonny996 We went to Le Grange last night and it was very quite, the barman said it was quite because ...
Paris St German were playing Man U,
We're all too tired to go out tonight.
And I came to skiddy grief that has me a bit bruised .. for coming down from from Bettex.
A bit icy tonight.
ski holidays
I've just found out we shelled out for the Evasion lift pass rather than the local one. rolling eyes
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
Hi Stu, I'm sure someone else will answer that one,we just went over there for lunch today and it was so sunny, and the pistes are in good nick, my son in law reports that if you just go two lifts over there is hardly anyone using those pistes.

I just wish I'd taken a peaked cap and sunglasses for sitting on the terraces.

Thanks
Never been to Megeve so really looking forward to it. Taking our 2 boys 4 and 7 so hoping it will suit them well. Seems to be plenty of cruisey pistes on the map so should be great for them
latest report
Well my week had an interesting start 4 hours in and big fall. Evac to Sallanches Hospital with shattered shoulder & 4 broke ribs.
Getting flown home tonight with surgery scheduled for Friday
snow conditions
@Jonny996, Sounds nasty. Sorry your hoilday ended that way. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, yikes, sorry to hear that! How did that happen?
ski holidays
@Jonny996,
OUch!! Sounds like a massive impact. Hope the journey isn't too uncomfortable
ski holidays
Hi @Jonny996 what did you do then?
Or can you remember?

Well we've had to go to the Medecine General in St Gervais today...
My dear wife took a tumble in the soft stuff just below and round the corner from Claude Petz.

So we managed to use our Carte Neige thingy
"Blood Wagon" + Ambulance.
It turns out she has broken her leg, I have a horrible feeling this will be the last ski holiday for her.
She was a nervous skier before, and this is not going to do anything for her confidence.

I've rung our insurers, and answered all their questions by email, now awaiting their call back. Crying or Very sad
snow report
@DrLawn, sorry to hear about that, I can only hope she got the same excellent service I got.
For me it was a frecky one, we just meet a friend who had just finished a excellent private 121 & was really happy, he was a complete beginner so we went down the blue finance run & I was going relaxed to see what he had learnt then all of a sudden both skis ejected and instead of rolling down the piste my feet stayed where they were and I slammed into the ground.
The French surgeons did say it resembled a car accident rather than skiing.
Lucky I have a surgeon friend and he recommend home first which turned out to be best but long recovery.
Missing 2 trips planned but could be worse
snow conditions
@Jonny996, heal quickly!

Thanks again for the advice about St. G.
latest report
Wow @Jonny996,
The "Finance" is a really pleasant run.

We were heading for "Poue Blanche" to go up the "Monts Rosset" lift to join the finance again.
But I'll probably never get there now.

I'm trying to imagine what "both skis ejected" looks like?

The only time I've had something like that was when I skied deliberetly into a lump of snow on a piste in Kitzbuhel, it turned out to be a post so the skis stopped dead and I went through the air like a cartoon character.

But that sort of thing did not hurt then. Sad
latest report
Anyway @Jonny996, get well soon!
latest report
Regarding injury managed to spring a binding on a flat section of a blue run bunnyhopping between reds and ended up slamming full length onto ice with a rotatational cuff injury to shoulder. Luckily on last afternoon. Not bad enough to warrant surgery and took a bout 3 months to get back to normal mobility. Apart from a strange notch on the shoulder!. Still sports and trad climb so hopefully no long term damage. A double release sounds horrific.

Anyway first day on the planks. Apartment at St gervais. Another lucky dip off airbnb. Drove up to la gorge to avoid any rush and scored well. Spent all day 9.00 til 4.30 at Les contamines. Some good runs and managed to tick off every blue and red with a number of repeats. Both have gippy knees so kept off the blacks. Fairly brisk transportation and no real queues to report. Favourite runs were blue croix blue coins and red buche and fredze. Can't comment on the slope bars as weather was so nice that picnic was in order-sunny knoll just off the col du jolly. Last red down gorge was a bit sketchy but OK. Came down before the hordes. Back to base for beers cheese cake and crisps before tackling dinner.
latest report
This must be a unlucky area - end of day 1 les contamines (blue skies, warm) and a pretty slow fall results in broken bone in my thumb! Needs surgery too. Gutted. Waiting for insurance to confirm all covered then I think me and the family flying home so I can get the surgery and recover at home. Wife and kids won’t stay on without me - which adds to the guilt/downer!

Les Contamines is lovely too ... pistes not crowded despite Sunday/holidays/blue skies. We’ll hopefully be back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zedzed_uk, feel for you, I was just after lunch on day 1. Good thing is I was with friend & kids and I convinced them all to stay.
Looking forward to getting kids back home tonight
snow report
Goodness! Hope you all recover smoothly.

As one of the last thread contributors to visit the EMB before this series of mishaps began, I'm starting to think my partner and I were lucky to avoid any injuries! Shocked
snow report
@denfinella, nope your normal, in 100+ days this is the only thing for me & it was freaky as I was not going fast.nthe service I got from piste assistance was amazing , they are very good at looking after you
latest report
@Jonny996, glad to hear you were looked after well.

My post was slightly tongue in cheek...
ski holidays
Not a very active thread, this one, is it? I'm guessing there are no Snowheads actually on the ground in resort on a regular basis.
Driving down tonight for a week staying in Megeve, just came looking for local updates.
snow conditions
@karin, heard from a reliable source in Megeve yesterday that snow conditions currently 'excellent'. Forecast is for a mainly sunny week, maximum temperatures generally into double figures, minimum only just below freezing. Snow conditions probably a bit heavy in afternoons. Overall sounds great to me. snowHead
ski holidays
Hi @karin
I hope you have a good time and great weather.
It would suit us to return there again next year, especially if we can get the same apartment.

I'll probably drive down next time, the apartment we used had a garage space and a car would have been handy, but not vital.

The ski bus service runs every 15mins all day long.

Next time my wife is going to go walking not skiing, there are plenty of trails and lots of gondola access right over to the other side of Megeve.

Have a good one!
snow report
I got mates out there just now & they have been off piste all week in new snow
latest report
Snow in full spring condition. Refrozen first thing, nice and smooth mid morning, soup in the afternoon. Piste and lifts in a condition Chamonix couldn't even dream of (Very good).
snow report
@DrLawn, It was an easy drive, on the piste by 11.30. However, the lack of sleep caught up with us and resulted in a 30 minute snooze in deck chairs in the sun outside the Rosay restaurant by 3pm!
@Jonny996, sadly it rained on all that fresh snow on Friday, but it is now snowing again, so hoping for a good day tomorrow.
@Idris, I agree, although due to be cold for the next couple of days, so maybe the skiing will be good beyond lunchtime.
latest report
Hi @karin, Happy St Patrick's day!

You'll have a great time ,, let the sun shine!
ski holidays
Flying out on Thursday for a few days in St Gervais. Weather looks spectacular atm! Hope the snow doesn't all melt...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy