Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Jonny996 wrote:
@turms2, as long as you’re not skiing in clouds, LC best bet

thanks , thought also that LC is probably the best option.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ajc2260626, What do you consider "lower areas" of Les Saisies? Or do you just mean that the area as a whole is lower than Tignes? Only lifts in the main bowl of Les Saisies will be running from Saturday, all the rest of the Espace Diamant will be closed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beware there is no longer a connection between Rochbrune and Cote 2000 in Megeve, hope to reopen in December Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Idris, important to know! I take it that if we want to ski over in Cote 2000 we can still take the navette. But it might simply drop off our itinerary next week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stade Decent was excellent last week, done it 5 or 6 times, getting better lines each time
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
St G snow looking dreadful on the webcams this morning after the warmth yesterday. And no doubt they will be worse by the end of today.

Unfortunately the Snowheads weather gurus seem to have shut up shop for the winter, so I am having to rely on the phone weather app to guesstimate conditions for next week. I am just hoping the colder temperatures on Saturday and Sunday give snow on the pistes enough to hold for a few days. But we will take our walking boots too!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SG resort closed today due to rain. Has been cooling down the last 2 hours and a decent fall of snow expected tonight into tomorrow. If we get enough snow tonight with expected coolish temps next week we should be able to close out the season with some decent skiing. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been snowing hard in the Val d'Arly since I got up, I think some lifts are running here but not been out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
devilabit wrote:
SG resort closed today due to rain
Closed due to thunderstorms, not allowed to run lifts if there is a thunderstorm!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
Been snowing hard in the Val d'Arly since I got up, I think some lifts are running here but not been out.

Praz is now shut for the season AFAIK. 15-20cm fresh at Arpette this morning. Avie activity at cote 2000!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @Idris, 15-20 doesn't sound bad. I had guessed less from the StG webcams. And with luck more to arrive tonight, not sure about tomorrow.

If temperatures stay low, we should get a bit of skiing with our daughter next week. But a lot of lifts and runs seem to have closed and presumably won't be reopening now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
j b wrote:
Thanks @Idris, 15-20 doesn't sound bad. I had guessed less from the StG webcams. And with luck more to arrive tonight, not sure about tomorrow.

If temperatures stay low, we should get a bit of skiing with our daughter next week. But a lot of lifts and runs seem to have closed and presumably won't be reopening now.

More closing Sunday. Cote 2000/Radaz will stay open, As will Rochbrune/Arpette/Caboche/Chamois/Rochabois. The rest will shut on my side of the hill.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Idris wrote:
Praz is now shut for the season AFAIK.

Flumet has been shut for over a week now too.

Crest-Voland closes tomorrow and NDB seems to be running some lifts today. From monday only Les Saisies will be open, there will be a navette to there or I may drive up.

The "I think some lifts are running" was because there was enough of a whiteout that I couldn't see as far as the main chairlift.

Quote:
Avie activity at cote 2000

The guy who did the recent base jump in Megeve was interviewed on the lunchtime news, he said he wasn't going out today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out in SG today. It's pretty good above 1500m and I was able to do some nice off piste after the additional 10cm+ dump last night. Slopes are almost deserted even for first tracks. Temps looking favourable for the week considering it's April.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back from a final week of the season, and overall it has been pretty good considering. We packed walking boots thinking they were likely to see more use than the skis.

The reason for booking this time was that it was the only week our daughter (medical student) could get her skiing fix. I started cautiously by only buying her a 2-day pass, so we could sample StG/Megeve and LesC and decide whether to do more at all. StG was very much spring skiing, most runs starting frozen and turning nice for what seemed like 5 minutes then becoming slushy. A day seemed quite enough. On the other hand LesC had decent skiing, if similarly icy first thing, and we planned to spend the rest of the week there with a planned day off on Friday when the weather forecast looked bad (it was indeed horrible in town in the morning, but cleared about midday and apparently allowed excellent skiing but by then we were over in Chamonix).

Saturday brought a bit of a planning glitch - I had failed to notice that Easter weekend was when the bus timetables changed from winter to low season and the bus we were trying to take no longer had a Saturday service. And no buses to LesC at all on Sundays. However there was a solution I had previously been unaware of. On Wednesday the skiing had been so enjoyable that we had been too ambitious with our plans after lunch and missed the 3 o'clock return bus to StG we had been aiming for (we got out of the bottom LesC gondola and could see the bus pulling away through the windows). The next bus wasn't till 4.50 so I suggested taking the free navette to LesC centre for a drink rather than staying by the telecabine - and discovered that the LesC navette timetable explicitly showed the ability to transfer to the corresponding StG navette; on a subsequent look it is indicated on the StG timetable but only as an obscure footnote (literally). So the gap between the 3.00 and 4.50 buses is neatly filled by a 3.58 navette link. By the time we realised the problem on the Saturday we wouldn't have got to LesC in realistic time and had to ski StG again, but on Sunday we used the navettes both ways successfully for LesC.

Saturday in StG was really only good above 1700m - and the skiing goes down to 1400 on the StG side. To be fair the north slopes off Mont Joly and Mont Joue both stayed fine, and we regretted the inability to ski the north slopes from Mont Arbois (the Princesse gondola was closed, since it starts in Demi-Quartier I speculate it is run by the same people who run Combloux which closes earlier; also the sector lacks snow making which would be needed around the Princesse mid-station). By the time we finished, the last stretch down to Bettex wasn't just skiing through slush, it was skiing through bog! And LesC on Sunday was definitely that little bit warmer than it had been earlier in the week, with heavy snow towards the bottom of several lifts but not enough to stop us enjoying our last day.
ski holidays
Great you got so much skiing in, just shows not to trust what you see from a distance, as from home I would have written the week of.
snow report
@Jonny996, yes it isn't a week we would have chosen if it wasn't for our daughter. But she got her fix, in fact she often raced ahead and did two circuits for our one. She likes to feel she has ticked off a few blacks, and one favourite was closed (Princesse) and we didn't bother taking the bus to Cote 2000 (the ski link was closed) for Stade Descente. However Dujon (off Freddy) stayed OK except for the one south-facing loop which you had to put up with, and Olympique at LesC.

Of course she also had the benefit of parents paying her way, and booking some favourite restaurants in the evening. And it felt good holidaying as the whole family again, which realistically is going to get less often as she gets older.
snow report
Les Contamines are open for another week and quite good by all reports. I'm sat in the pisteur hut at the top of Cote 2000, barely above the rain snow limit. The higher pistes are sticky today but otherwise ok. No restaurants/ cafes at Cote 2000 except the altiport!
snow report
@Idris, does Cote 2000 stay open longer than the rest of the area? I thought the whole area closed yesterday.

The piste map shows a restaurant by the car park and bottom chair for Cote 2000 but I don't think I have ever seen it open. Do you know anything about that one? I assume the place at the junction of the blue Pre Rosset piste and the black Stade Descente is now disconnected from the available skiing.
snow report
j b wrote:
@Idris, does Cote 2000 stay open longer than the rest of the area? I thought the whole area closed yesterday.

The piste map shows a restaurant by the car park and bottom chair for Cote 2000 but I don't think I have ever seen it open. Do you know anything about that one? I assume the place at the junction of the blue Pre Rosset piste and the black Stade Descente is now disconnected from the available skiing.

Yes, Cote 2000 is open till the 16th this year.

The Radaz is accesable but it's closed the next to the carpark closed a week earlier, but the Altiport cafe is open AFAIK
snow conditions
The Altiport cafe was a lot closer to normal prices than the other places at Cote 2000 the last time I was there.

Some Megeve kids were training in Les Saisies today.
snow report
Just got message from my boss. Cote 2000 shut today for the season. Not sure exactly why, but yesterday it got waterlogged and everything was avalanching as we left.
snow conditions
Closed out the season at Les Conta on Sunday. Visibility not ideal but really nice snow for the last few turns of the season. Better conditions than mid March. They could have stayed open another week especially given we had another 15cm this week at 1700m+. Going to enjoy the summer now but next winter won't be long coming.
snow report
rjs wrote:
Idris wrote:
Praz is now shut for the season AFAIK.

Flumet has been shut for over a week now too.

Crest-Voland closes tomorrow and NDB seems to be running some lifts today. From monday only Les Saisies will be open, there will be a navette to there or I may drive up.

The "I think some lifts are running" was because there was enough of a whiteout that I couldn't see as far as the main chairlift.

Quote:
Avie activity at cote 2000

The guy who did the recent base jump in Megeve was interviewed on the lunchtime news, he said he wasn't going out today.

Pretty early this year. Crest Voland had snow on the slopes on the 2nd April but nothing today, bare. I've skied the area at this time of year in the past.

Heavy powder in les Saisies today

latest report
and 5 years ago - look at the snowdepths on the roofs

ski holidays
Almost time to get exicted for the new season Very Happy

I've updated the post on the first page with some dates and news.
ski holidays
@devilabit, Thanks, I’m sure we will have past each other at some point.

Can I ask a what might be stupid question? You say “ The wastewater funicular lift from the Thermal Park to Saint Gervais will be complete before the end of 2023.” Do you know if that carries people on the return up or is it purely water?
snow conditions
devilabit wrote:
Almost time to get exicted for the new season Very Happy

I've updated the post on the first page with some dates and news.

Thank you for sharing the update. I went to Megeve for the first time last season and throughly enjoyed it (despite it being frighteningly hot in mid February and lots of pistes closed).

It would appear that their ski season is getting shorter by the year which is a little sad. 3 months for a ski season is short! Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
@devilabit, Thanks, I’m sure we will have past each other at some point.

Can I ask a what might be stupid question? You say “ The wastewater funicular lift from the Thermal Park to Saint Gervais will be complete before the end of 2023.” Do you know if that carries people on the return up or is it purely water?

The wastewater carries the people (so to speak). Im not sure how often it will run but last I heard it was going to be free. It comes out just below the new hotel on the main road.
snow conditions
Wow, thanks but I have to say something is not adding up in my head.
It’s been a crappy bus service or hire car for years then all of a sudden, we get a small funicular to take you up & a larger gondola option.
Fair play that the mayor is going for it but does seem strange that there are going to be two options
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
Wow, thanks but I have to say something is not adding up in my head.
It’s been a crappy bus service or hire car for years then all of a sudden, we get a small funicular to take you up & a larger gondola option.
Fair play that the mayor is going for it but does seem strange that there are going to be two options

I need to correct the planned opening date, it is meant to be delivered in April 2024. Its primarily for traffic between the thermal park and SG to make access easier for thermal baths, the Sports Center, the adventure park, via ferrata, rock climbing, tennis and pétanque courts. Its going to be open all year.
snow report
That is going to be a real asset, folks with property in La Fayet must be seeing huge property value increases
latest report
@devilabit, I saw your post when we were halfway round walking the Tour du Mont Blanc so only replying now when finally home with a keyboard.

I was surprised by your mention of a funicular, which I hadn't previously heard about - in comparison to the new gondola where there have been posters, presentations, youtube videos, consultations etc and of course signs of actual building. But then when we returned to St G at the end of our hike we discovered temporary traffic lights around some new work at what will be the top of the funicular.

It seems a bit odd to have two new public transport modes up the hill, not only will it cost more than just the one there is (for me) the fear that two lots of running costs will devalue both by tempting the town not to run either in the evenings when their usefulness in supplementing the existing buses is arguably greatest. Certainly from a personal point of view, it will make travel a lot easier if there is transport allowing use of late trains or airport transfers (several Chamonix shared transfers will drop off in the Le Fayet station car park).

And the capital cost is considerable too. At the moment the Mairie seems to be spending like there is no tomorrow. As well as the bulk of the funicular cost, they are contributing to the gondola and doing a major refurb on the Mairie building. I wonder if M. Peillex has been building huge reserves from our Tax d'Habitation, and has decided to spend it on prominent projects before he retires as Maire (I assume he is contemplating retirement; certainly he has retired from his day job as an immobilier in Les Contamines since our coprop had to replace him as syndic).

Anyway, neither will be in place for the coming ski season. Thanks for helpfully providing the dates; it looks as if once again only the last week will be an opportunity for our daughter to ski (not much holiday as a medical student) though if conditions look good we could perhaps contemplate a short break with her before Christmas
snow conditions
From looking at the site and what I read before this is not possible. Has anyone bought a Mont Blanc Unlimited annual pass and been able to start their day in St Gervais or Les Contamines without issue? I have heard conflicting reports from several people but the website seems clear in that you must start your day in Megeve to ski in the Evasion area. The reason I ask is that there is a deal on at the moment for about €850 which is incredible value for the year.

https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/preventes-forfaits
snow report
In the past I've started in St Gervais - just swung by the ticket desk at the start of the day to get it activated. I've never started in Megève.

I can't remember if I did that each time, or just once per year though...
snow conditions
fixx wrote:
In the past I've started in St Gervais - just swung by the ticket desk at the start of the day to get it activated. I've never started in Megève.

I can't remember if I did that each time, or just once per year though...

Thanks. That might mean they are willing to make some exceptions if you start your day in SG but I would be starting 30+ times in SG or Les Conta so they might refuse me pretty quickly!
ski holidays
@devilabit, the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass needs to be activated in St Gervais (or Courmayeur or [I seem to remember] Les Contamines) the first time you want to use the lifts in just one of those resorts. Thereafter just use the lifts as if you own the place. Once for the whole lot.
snow report
I have a trip planned, Geneva Airport landing Jan 3rd. Two cancellable hotels booked, (till first week in Dec that is),. Hotels are in Megeve, and then a more snow sure Crans Montana. we have skied neither resort, mainly skiing Zermatt.
My wife really wants to go to Megeve, but it seems that on a snow to base probability even in Early Jan its looking dodgy.
Rain forecast on next 6 days in Megeve, more snow in Crans. Anyone early January experience of Megeve, that will reduce my skiing down to grass fears?
snow conditions
I haver had great skiing in Megeve in Jan, then again I have also had a walk around town in a tee shirt in Jan.

Sorry but it is 3rd week in their season, so far to early to tell & anyone making the call before your hotel cut off date is a brave person,
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Anyone early January experience of Megeve, that will reduce my skiing down to grass fears?

As @Jonny996 says no one can predict at this range.

Most years you would expect quite decent snow around then, but as everyone knows last season suffered from early January rain which ruined the earlier snow. It happened over a lot of the Alps, not just Megeve/Evasion Mont Blanc. We can hope for a better January this time, but poor conditions could happen again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy