Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Really enjoyable days skiing in La Giettaz today. Was last out the week before Christmas and was very pessimistic following some recent negative reports. Quite a few runs shut on the Combloux side but snow was good on LG side (apart from half way down Treffleannaise which was very icy) and the weather was great (cold and sunny!). One more days skiing tomorrow then back to Manchester on Wednesday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
10 cm or so at LC yesterday, but very poor vis. Today was quite good, according to my son, who tackled some fluffy side piste and sent me a few videos. (Stuck telecommuting today...).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @mjmoran8, hoping it stays OK into next week for us.

Not good to be too icy on Trefflannaise, it isn't that wide and can be rather busy. Was that morning ice from overnight freezing, or later in the day once surface snow was scraped off?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@j_b was definitely worse in the afternoon once surface snow was scraped off. All other runs seemed fine though and was a good day. Might venture over to les contamines or St Gervais tomorrow for something different? Have a great week next week!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cotes2000 always worth a visit
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Second @Jonny996, most of the runs at Cote 2000 always seem to hold up well, and it isn't too difficult to get to from the La Giettaz end. There is a direct navette from the bottom of the Le Jaillet gondola that takes you all the way there, or you can head to Rochebrune (I think possible by navette, but not one I've used) and ski along the ridge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was going to give Cote 2000 a try but had to drop something off in Notre Dame de Bellecombe so decided to try that for the first time. Was very busy on slopes but was impressed with the ski area. Again, a few slopes were icy and proved difficult but I think that's mainly because I'm not the best skier! Had an enjoyable couple of days and it's a shame we have to go back tomorrow. Better conditions than I expected in both LG and NDB but both areas in need of fresh snow soon.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mjmoran8, Espace Diamant surely one of the most underrated French areas, to Brits anyway!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely @denfinella! Done a fair bit of road cycling over their in the summer but today was first days skiing in the Espace Diamant since we bought our little apartment at La Giettaz in October 2020. Will certainly be going back and testing out more of the area!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is the Espace Diamant area a separate lift pass StG/megeve/Combolux one
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonny996, yes, totally separate (and nearly the same size too).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's almost next door, you can see some of the Espace Diamant lifts from the Rochebrune-Cote 2000 ridge, and from Col du Joly in Les Contamines. But no connection or common pass.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny996 wrote:

I thought at one point there was a plan to link on the Hauteluce side, but I may be thinking of the never-to-happen Les Contamines/St. G link.

This was my first time skiing Les Contamines extensively (4 days over last 2 weeks) and I think I can say with some confidence that in a poor snow year, it held its snow better than most places in the region.

Downsides is that 90% of the skiing (except for home runs) is above the treeline -- so poor vis was a very real problem from time to time -- some lifts are poky, food is costly (could use more areas to picnic). But I'm a fan; there are some very nice red pistes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pasigal, given we are heading out on Friday I anticipate us spending some time in LesC for what snow there is. As you say, some enjoyable runs even if you do find yourself looping them.

Even if there was the wish (and the money) I don't think it would be too easy to link from the Hauteluce side of LesC to Espace Diamant, that area is just too south facing. A better bet would be from the Rochebrune ridge (top of Lanchettes drag) but it would take several lifts and new pistes. The only viable LesC-StG link I could imagine is a two-way cable car from the top of Aiguille Croche down to Cote 2000. In both cases it isn't clear that the investment would drive the increased income in lift pass sales.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pasigal wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

I thought at one point there was a plan to link on the Hauteluce side, but I may be thinking of the never-to-happen Les Contamines/St. G link.

Thats still on the radar but there has been no real update for a while. No clean ski though, probably just a uplift/downlift from Hauteluce.
snow report
The forecast for SG is looking good for the back end of next week! Will be skiing on 9th so hopefully it’s calmed down by then!
snow conditions
Roscoe wrote:
The forecast for SG is looking good for the back end of next week! Will be skiing on 9th so hopefully it’s calmed down by then!

And today it looks even better! 25-30cm on Wednesday with a few cm's on the shoulder days!
snow conditions
Best option for next two days? We're in sallanches for a couple of nights..on the way to gressoney.. Where best to ski Friday and Saturday? Suggestions from those in the know very welcome Eh oh!
snow conditions
Les Contamines and Chamonix (GM and Le Tour) had decent snow when we there for Feb 1/2 term.
snow conditions
j b wrote:
@Pasigal, given we are heading out on Friday I anticipate us spending some time in LesC for what snow there is. As you say, some enjoyable runs even if you do find yourself looping them.

Even if there was the wish (and the money) I don't think it would be too easy to link from the Hauteluce side of LesC to Espace Diamant, that area is just too south facing. A better bet would be from the Rochebrune ridge (top of Lanchettes drag) but it would take several lifts and new pistes. The only viable LesC-StG link I could imagine is a two-way cable car from the top of Aiguille Croche down to Cote 2000. In both cases it isn't clear that the investment would drive the increased income in lift pass sales.

Interestingly, the political tides may have turned (at least in March 2022) and the new mayor of Les Contamines seems to support that link from Aiguille Croche to Cote 2000...and muses about the fabled Bellasta to Belleville cable car that could join Espace Diamant to the Hauteluce Les Contamines...

https://www.ledauphine.com/economie/2022/03/13/le-nouveau-telesiege-va-permettre-des-liaisons-vers-les-saisies-et-megeve

Both of these projects have been mooted for around a decade, so I suspect that they would have been built by now if feasible, both economically and environmentally. Setting those two considerations aside, from a purely skiing POV, a link from Cote 2000 over to Les Contamines would only increase crowds in Les Contamines and probably open up more lift-served pistes between Aiguille Croche and Veleray drag, I suspect. I've only skiied Megeve a few times and the issue is that Cote 2000 sort of puts you in a little corner (although I find it to be the most interesting skiing in the station) , going over to Les Contamines could add some higher-altitude skiing.

I'm not sure what you would gain by linking Bellasta and Belleville, to be honest. Bellasta is already the farthest lift (though newish and speedy) in the Espace Diamant, so going over to ski the 3-4 runs on Les Contamines' Hauteluce side might just mean a long return trip to Les Saisies/Praz/Flumet etc...

On the other, other hand, if the mania for huge linked areas is still there, a common ticket that gets you ED and Evasion-MB on one pass could be a fun weeklong project...
snow report
Would Espace Diamant + Evasion then become the biggest ski area in the world measured by kms of piste? You can see the marketing appeal.
ski holidays
For those just out, the pistes at Le Giettaz at far side of Combolux were excellent today
latest report
Anyone local, or out in SG, with an up to date forecast?! Bergfex suggests lots of rain in the village but mostly snow on the mountain until Saturday. Does this stack up with the local forecasts?
snow conditions
Roscoe wrote:
Anyone local, or out in SG, with an up to date forecast?! Bergfex suggests lots of rain in the village but mostly snow on the mountain until Saturday. Does this stack up with the local forecasts?

Unfortunately its more like mostly snow above 2000m until Friday and then it will rain maybe up to 2500m, not good given the limited snowpack at present.
https://www-meteoalpes-fr.translate.goog/bulletin/alpes-du-nord/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr
ski holidays
devilabit wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Unfortunately its more like mostly snow above 2000m until Friday and then it will rain maybe up to 2500m, not good given the limited snowpack at present.
https://www-meteoalpes-fr.translate.goog/bulletin/alpes-du-nord/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr

Oh no!! We’re out tomorrow with plans to ski Thursday to Saturday. Looks like Saturday will be a complete write off with the hope that Thursday and Friday stay dry or snow fall.
latest report
It started snowing at 1300m in the Espace Diamant at 4pm, quite heavy now.
latest report
Rain just started in St G town with temperature reading 6 C. We’ll be lucky if that is snow on the lower ski slopes. Not sure what we will be doing tomorrow.
snow report
Quote:

It started snowing at 1300m in the Espace Diamant at 4pm, quite heavy now.

snowHead Fingers crossed. Everything is going to depend on the freezing level over the next week, isn't it?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, The snow/rain limit isn't the same as the freezing level, the displays at the main chairlift in Crest-Voland were showing it above freezing when the snow started.

Saturday doesn't look good on the forecast, I could go to Chamrousse but think I will stay in bed.
latest report
Forecast improving with the FL lower than expected! Hopefully some good conditions in SG for tomorrow and Friday. Saturday still looks dubious but better than earlier in the week! Just need to hope my flight out this afternoon isn't cancelled/delayed due to the snow here!
snow conditions
Roscoe wrote:
Forecast improving with the FL lower than expected! Hopefully some good conditions in SG for tomorrow and Friday. Saturday still looks dubious but better than earlier in the week! Just need to hope my flight out this afternoon isn't cancelled/delayed due to the snow here!

Yes, the low passing through the UK on Saturday is now tracking further south and pushing the cooler air further into the NW alps but its on a knife edge. Hopefully the trend continues in the model runs today. The snow level is usually 200-300m below the freezing level but it depends on a number of factors.
ski holidays
Still raining in Megeve Town, only stopped for an hour so all day. Did discover the wine shop on way into town is better value than the ones in the centre so not all bad.
ski holidays
If I can tag another report from next-door Espace Diamant here, the "front de neige" in Les Saisies village seems to have survived yesterday's heavy rain. It looks comparatively busy, as is often the case when other neighbouring places are struggling for snow.

https://en.lessaisies.com/webcam-french-ski-resort-savoie-mont-blanc-alps.html
latest report
Contamines quite good today, both the runs to Hauteluce and down to Contamines are open and in reasonable nick. Off piste was a few inches of windblown heavy at the top of Aiguilles Croche, quite underwhelming.

An avalanche at Cote 2000 has cause the closure of Marmots, didn't reach the run, but near enough to cause concern.
ski holidays
Well there might have been white stuff at the “front de neige” in Bettex and Megeve but it wasn’t what we normally think of as snow. Heavy and horrible and not fun to ski on. We headed over to Cote 2000 in the hope of something better; it was slightly but not enough to justify the pain of skiing there. We exited on the navette! (Though partly because we spotted that a piste on our usual return route looked closed).

Not sure if a phone forecast is reliable but cheered to notice next rain due early hours when temperature in town is 3C so could be snow on slopes.
snow report
17C today in Saint Gervais, felt really warm in the sun. The system tonight arrives around midnight and picks up intentisty before dawn when it might snow as low as 1200m possbly dropping to 900m at times. At least 30cm is expected at 1600m by tomorrow evening.
snow report
Yup, the LC website is suggesting great things for the next 5-6 days. Looking forward to the 18th and Ski '23 part deux Cool
snow report
Top of Cote 2000 open today (except marmot) . Pistes quite good above 1600m . Off piste is partially refrozen surface over heavy or slop, probably not a good idea.
latest report
I’m living in hope that it’s going to last another week
ski holidays
Nice conditions today, probably 30-50cm of fresh snow above 1600m. Enjoy it while it lasts as it will warm up again from tomorrow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy