Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau, Wildschönau, Ski Juwel

Poster: A snowHead
@mountainaddict, ok thanks for that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VolklAttivaS5, I guess you are coming from SkiWelt or Kitzbuel, if your journey involves going through Hopfgarten then take the road up to Wildschönau. You can then chose to park next to the lifts for free either at Niederau or carry on to Auffach. If you stop at Niederau the area is small for a high mileage skier, if you stop at Auffach you have access to Alpbach as well.
If your journey goes through Wörgl then you can choose between Wildschönau as above or carry on to Alpbach. Can't say for definite if parking is free in Alpbach (probably is) but I know it is charged for in the summer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chris_n, I will be coming from St Johann in Tirol yes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were forecast 2-4 cm of snow overnight, turned out to be 20cm!
Poor visibility this morning but brighter in the afternoon. Tomorrow is looking promising so might have to head out for a couple of runs before work snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
20cm sounds great. If that happens most nights until we get there next Saturday we will be chuffed to bits. It can keep happening while we are there too. That would be lovely as long as there is daytime visibility. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris_n,
Jumbulance has arrived. See you on the slope tomorrow.
Thanks for the weather reports before we came.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another dusting overnight snowHead
@Cymro66, see you on the piste!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Woke up to 10cm fresh yesterday, another dusting this morning. Unfortunately it looks like we may have a little rain Saturday before normal snow service is resumed overnight into Sunday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another beautiful morning to wake up to. We have to nip down to the vet in Worgl with the dog for her passport stamping. She seems to be making friends here as greeted by name on occasion by passers by!

Slopes in great condition, the Lanerkopfl has been excellent every morning.

Shame that the Tenneladen cafe is closed till March as that was always a good coffee stop, and only discovered it was closed when we rocked up there Sunday morning. Good dinners so far at Schneebergers and the Simmelwirt. The Austria disappointed, again, by their ridiculous rule of not serving jugs of water despite ordering bottles of wine before even daring to ask for water in addition. We experienced that when we stayed there five years ago.

Met some lovely peoplein the gondola!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pamski, Have you been into the Staffler for drinks, can be quite lively. You may have met 'Socks' the dog on your walks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Awesome display from @Chris_n and his colleagues here in Niederau tonight, I've skied all the big places but I'm falling in love with this little one!! Well done all!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just driving home now, almost to Chichester. We had a really great time in Niederau last week rewarded by one of those best days ever on Friday when the sun shone and it was very quiet.
We managed to catch up with Micky Unger in the Brunner bar on Thursday afternoon, and Maria at the Bicklwirt in the evening. Tipping down with rain when we left on Saturday morning but I don’t think it will have lasted long.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andyrew, thanks for the compliment, you are starting to see now why so many people keep returning.

Rain on Saturday turned to snow overnight and gave us about 10 cm of fairly wet snow in the valley and 15-20cm on the mountain. Snow quality wasn't particularly good yesterday but I'm sure it will be fine after the piste guys have performed their magic on it overnight.
Forecast is for sunshine this week with temperatures cold enough to keep the snow good. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice to meet you last night @chris_n
Great show snowHead

Absolutely fantastic conditions skiing from Auffach today. Great fun.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Superb conditions today, good snow and sunshine!
latest report
Awesome skiing today , perfect conditions Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Well, I am impressed by this place. Just back from a long weekend (Thurs morning 6am flight to Munich, so on piste before 1pm; Sunday evening 9pm flight back, so caught 2.50 ski bus home). Thursday afternoon in Niederau, Friday Auffach, barely ever had to queue more than a few seconds - and this from "Austria's busiest week". The weekend was somewhat busier, the car park being full of coaches from Germany, but even then we never queued more than five minutes and mostly nothing like that much.

Miles and miles of cruisy red-runs with huge wide pistes, endless superb brand-new lifts, a bit of a lack of properly "challenging" piste. I was really disappointed to discover that the ski routes which are marked on the piste maps are not avalanche controlled and as such are completely off piste. What's the point in marking a ski route if you don't control it?

Oh yes, and what a beautiful place. No point commenting on how the snow was yesterday afternoon at 3pm (a bit slushy down at resort level) as temperatures have dropped and there should have been a foot of fresh snow since then. Definitely a place for another weekend.
latest report
We have had a couple of days of light snow and lower temperatures. Unfortunately yesterday was very windy which lead to the gondola and chairlift in Niederau being off for most of the day. The lifts in Auffach and Alpbach continued running without any problems. Of course the upside of this was a foot of fresh powder everywhere off piste this morning snowHead .
ski holidays
There's always an upside to more snow. We had a lovely time there last week and only wish we could get out there again before the season ends. snowHead
latest report
Coming to Niederau next week (half term so busy expecting it to be busy) and wondered if anyone had a couple of recommendations for traditional Austrian apres ski - the 4pm kind of thing with kids in tow. I know its a small village but nice to be pointed in right direction Happy
latest report
Bobo's Heustadl at the bottom of the Stenzer slope is the more family orientated venue at 4pm, Schnapshutte is more lively noisy Dutch type of place. We usually go to Bobo's after work for a beer. Weather is perfect at the moment sunny skies and perfect pistes, hoping the pistes stand up to the crowds over the next few weeks.
snow report
Cheers Chris, just what I wanted to know. Looks like a great week is in the offing.

Going to be a bit of a juggle with 12 year old in intermediate ski school and 10 year old in first time snowboard. Seems that snowboard lessons are only half day, so looks like I’ll be spending my afternoons on nursery slope for most of the week Happy
ski holidays
Hi all. Departure date getting closer. Excitement is building. I do have a question. Daughter muttering about buying boots. Will be renting in Margreiters. Good place to buy boots? Thanks.
snow conditions
The only place in town to buy boots is Blachfelders. They are highly recommend but not cheap, I got my boots from there and it was a whole morning for the fitting. Katrin is very experienced and is also a world champion powder 8's skier so does have some idea what she is about. If you are buying do it early in your stay so adjustments can be made if necessary.
snow report
I would agree with Chris re Blachfelders. There used to be a very good boot fitter in Oberau years ago but I have no idea if still there.
ski holidays
Many thanks. We get there early afternoon. So straight there, buy and they adjust following 6 skiing days seems like a possible plan...

oh - and since daughter (a college student) would be funding purchase as opposed to the Bank of Mum and Dad, she is wondering how much are a pair of boots for an intermediate level person? €200? €300? €400.
snow conditions
@ado, didn't notice your reply, boots will start at €300. As always with boots late in the season there may be limited stock in some sizes.
Weather has been very sunny for the last week or so, pistes in Niederau are holding up very well despite the crowds. Schatzberg (Auffach) is a little softer as despite being higher it is more exposed to the sun.
snow conditions
Hoping there is still snow in 10 days time...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chris_n, I booked and paid for 5 days of lessons with your ski school for my 12 yr old daughter starting on from Mar 3. The options were beginner/slightly advanced/advanced. She has one week of skiing - so I chose "slightly advanced" - is that appropriate?
latest report
@ado, it is, what will happen in reality is all of the kids who can ski will have to ski one by one to a couple of instructors who will then fit them into an appropriate group.
Snow is firm in the morning at the moment, the lower slopes are getting a bit soft at the end of the day particularly the two main beginners slopes. It is forecast to carry on warm and sunny for the next few days.
snow report
Yeah - I looked at the forecast.....looks warm alright. Rumours of possible colder weather by end of week (he said very hopefully!)
ski holidays
Winter is Coming? Is this too much snow? Is there any risk that skiing could be interrupted by these amounts of snow?

Sat 02 L.Snow Shwrs
2cm to 3cm New Snow
Snow Line ranging from 1,320m to resort level.
Snow showers Max 7℃ Min -2℃

Sun 03 Partly cloudy
Max 10℃ Min -4℃

Mon 04 Rain
8cm to 9cm New Snow
Snow Line ranging from 1,329m to 1,082m, with rain below. Snow showers at altitude. Snowfall to around 1,082m. Shwrs below.
Max 8℃ Min -3℃

Tue 05 Snow
4cm New Snow
Snow Line ranging from 1,192m to resort level.
Max 5℃ Min -5℃

Wed 06 L.Rain
1cm New Snow
Snow Line ranging from 1,431m to 988m, with rain below. Light snow showers at altitude. Snowfall to around 988m. L.rain below.
Max 9℃ Min -5℃

Thu 07 H.Snow
15cm to 18cm New Snow
Snow falling to resort level. Heavy snow
Max -2℃ Min -9℃

Fri 08 Snow
2cm New Snow
Snow falling to resort level. Heavy snow showers
Max 0℃ Min -9℃
latest report
@ado, Nope, that's only a dusting really, maybe some visibility issues Thursday but that's it.
ski holidays
@ado, I'm more worried by the rain than the snow! At the moment pistes are firm in the morning (icy yesterday but much better today) and soft to very soft in the afternoon so typical spring conditions albeit a month early.
snow report
I shall begin prayers to the snowgods....
snow report
....is it raining.... Puzzled - flying tomorrow and (hopefully skiing Sunday)
snow report
Raining lightly in village, snowing on the mountain. Due to turn to light snow shortly, about 2 degrees in village at the moment. Don't worry we have plenty of snow!
latest report
@Chris_n, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Went to the local Fasching parade yesterday, looks like the locals don't want Brexit!

ski holidays
When renting skis today. Conversation went...
Are you English?
Nope Irish..
European Irish or Brexit Irish.... Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy