Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

>Europe

miss_mountain4ever
miss_mountain4ever
Going to europe for the first time (skiing Smile Smile ) Smile. Any place you guys can recommend?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@miss_mountain4ever, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
When are you going, or thinking of? How would you describe your skiing? Do you have a strong preference for old traditional villages, or not too bothered?
Any clues on apres ski, nightlife, or other activities you like?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
miss_mountain4ever wrote:
Going to europe for the first time (skiing Smile Smile ) Smile. Any place you guys can recommend?

The Alps.

Welcome to snowHeads
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only one place !!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@miss_mountain4ever, if you're used to the US ski resorts then The Alps may be too much of a shock to the system. It may be best to start off with a visit to a ski resort typical of the US, e.g. Gavarnie Gèdre in the Pyrénées.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@miss_mountain4ever,
Another factor in where to go - language. Would you want a resort where English is widely spoken?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glencoe?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Orange200, or Meribel? (hardly any french spoken there)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally, I suspect that a similar request from @Mr_Fat_Guy giving their location as Denmark might not have attracted the same amount of attention. Think on, chaps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair, you're not suggesting this is a post from a troll are you? Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@crosbie, as a mod it would clearly be inappropriate for me to make such a suggestion without clear evidence.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair, as a mod, you may be able to correlate the poster's IP address with IP addresses recently used by other registered snowheads, and that might go some way towards constituting evidence.

Anyway, on The Internet, no-one knows you're a dog.

It is amusing to explore responses to a faux-naif yankee's query as to where to ski in Europe.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You will have a great time where ever you end up. I recommend skiing in the French Alps, Swiss Alps, the Austrian Arlberg region, and the Italian Dolomite's. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crosbie wrote:
@Alastair, as a mod, you may be able to correlate the poster's IP address with IP addresses recently used by other registered snowheads.

What a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crosbie, from my initial investigations, you are @stanton - or have I got that wrong?
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
@miss_mountain4ever, there are 1000s of ski areas in Europe, spread across many countries. All different and will appeal to varied tastes. So give us a bit more idea as to what you are looking for...your ski level, which airport you will be arriving at, what dates you are considering, what activities/places other than skiing you would like to include.

To give you one suggestion to be considering, if you're a competent skier who wants a large ski area to explore, see some stunning scenery, eat good food in traditional mountain restaurants, stay in a pleasant village and top your vacation off with a unique UNESCO World Heritage city, I would suggest Corvara or Colfosco in the Italian Dolomites and a visit to Venice at the end. Any time from Christmas to mid-March should be good conditions. I would choose mid-Feb into early March to get good snow and longer days.

I spoke to a guy from California who I met on a chairlift in this area and asked him why he travelled all the way to Italy when there are some great skiing in California and he said there was nowhere to compare to it in the USA

CORVARA

COLFOSCO

VENICE
latest report
Alastair wrote:
@crosbie, from my initial investigations, you are @stanton - or have I got that wrong?

I think the IP address has to match perfectly, and be relatively contemporaneous.

So, no, your investigative skills need a tad more honing. I am not stanton's sock puppet (but then I/we would say that wouldn't I/we?).
snow conditions
@luigi, smashing pictures snowHead
snow report
@crosbie, always good to get clarification. I shall turn my hand to making random accusations of random snowHeads on the basis that it seems to liven things up a bit. However, I will have to be careful not to block myself Very Happy .
snow conditions
@Alastair, the first and last time I created and used a sock puppet was on the '80s Micronet/Teletalk service, which involved two telephone lines, two modems, and two computers (a BBC micro and an Archimedes).

Weirdly, I did a quick search and found a similar one of my comment's here: http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=1386

In ten year's time, I shall be referring to this comment...
ski holidays
@crosbie, for the avoidance of doubt, I have never even suspected you of sock puppetry in relation to @miss_mountain4ever and I hope you will accept my joking in the spirit in which it was intended. Personally, I miss punched cards. You knew where you were with them, even if that was randomly scattered over the floor.
ski holidays
@Alastair, glad to hear it, but I was referring to your conjecture that stanton/crosbie were one and the same.

If I had to bet a Euro, I'd say @miss_mountain4ever, was more likely whitegold... Twisted Evil

I went from programmable calculators to 6502 machine code and thankfully missed the punched card & paper tape phase (let alone Jacquard's loom).
latest report
@crosbie, you might be right but I don't have any indication that that is the case.

6502? I was programming 4040s using paper tape Shocked . 8 bit processors were well above my pay grade.

Mind you, I started coding in school around 1973 writing Algol 60 on punched cards. Now trendy people tell me what an algorithm is. I don't like to explain..
ski holidays
Sella Ronda, it never ends, the food's good, and the Italians are lovely.
latest report
What a great thread (not that I understand any of the computer-speak)!
@luigi, snap!

snow report
@Alastair, I'd often hear of the 4004, but from research I now find the 4040 is its successor. I saw all the punched cards and readers at uni, and might have even submitted one job, but it was an experience rapidly forgotten. Pascal set me in good stead for the C/C++/C# progression.

So, did you get into Cobol, or what? Where did you end up s/w eng. wise?
snow report
@crosbie, school: Algol 60, Jean, Basic. University: Pascal, Simula, Cobol, PDP11 assembler, Fortran, C. Work: PL/1, Fortran 77, RPG III - then management and subsequently a move away from IT altogether.

Sorry, @Hurtle, I don't expect that made any sense to you - and I expect there's one in that list that @crosbie hasn't heard of before!
snow report
@Alastair, indeed, I haven't heard of Jean or RPG III (aside from 'role playing game').
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@crosbie, Jean was a simple language, an enhancement of JOSS, which was available under Maximop on the ICL 1900. That more or less dates it.

RPG III (Report Program Generator) was an enhancement of earlier versions of RPG specifically designed for the IBM System/38 and subsequently the AS/400 etc. Still in use today.
snow report
Any thoughts then miss_mountain4ever Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
@Alastair, I trump you (cos I'm older). I started programming in algol at school in 1969. Since then I largely programmed in Fortran. Now I use matlab and sql
snow report
Beginners = Klosters
Intermediates = Courchevel 1850
Experts = Verbier
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

@luigi, snap!

I have to confess mine were plucked from Google! Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy