Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
As i have said many times before - if you knew the path of exchange rates you would not be on these pages but own all the ski resorts , including your own personal one) having made so much money

In the world of financial markets there are no certainties (well, some but I wont go into those but they usually concern someone who thinks they (dont) know how to regulate them).

All one can do is take a guess based on a big picture and a very long term view.

So, for example, yesterday the German government shelled out something like E300-400bn euros in energy subsidies. What effect might that have - havent got a clue but you can be assured other European governments will have to follow suit. It makes Kwarteng's efforts look almost reasonable...........but we do not know the price of the energy we are going to subsidise and thus the ultimate cost so any number is pure guesswork.

The only certainty is inflation and higher interest rates will hit ski resorts, hotels, holiday lets, drinking and eating, travel etc and that for everyone this year will undoubtedly be more expensive than last year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On a positive note, I've just come back from a 2000 mile road trip down to the Alps spending a few days in Ischgl in the same Hotel that we stayed in for the end of season concert in April for some Autumn hiking. Pleased to report that in the local M Preis supermarket Yellow Tail Ausie Shiraz/Merlot was retailing for 3.99 Euros, it costs £6.99 in my local Spar, filling up my 83 litre fuel tank on our R8 v10 was £25 cheaper for superunleaded over the Swiss border in Samnoun than at my local Shell garage here in rural Lancashire. I'm now a senior qualifying for discounted ski passes in the Ischgl valley and plan on returning for our first trip of the season at the begining of January .On the way back we spent a few days at the Nurburgring and a sizeable number of cars on the track were UK registered I'd say not far off the number of German registered cars. Everyone was having fun it's not all doom and gloom out there, I think watching to much news and the media makes it seem worse than what it is. Fortunately I don't have a mortgage anymore so the plan for my wife and I is to absorb these costs take the hit and carry on whilst we still can. I look back to when I started working in the mid seventies when we survived 26% inflation high mortgage rates and lending rates and we're still here, been there done that as they say. The web cams are looking white already, here's to the imminent ski season, can't wait. St Anton can p#ss off with his negative spin, we'll be enjoying ourselves. LOL as the younger generation would say.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowbandit56 wrote:
I look back to when I started working in the mid seventies when we survived 26% inflation high mortgage rates and lending rates and we're still here, been there done that as they say.

erm, OK, Boomer, as the younger generation would no doubt say

Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plus the UK economy actually grew in the 2nd quarter, now the sums have been done properly. What will the media say about the fact, by definition, that we can't be declared as in recession until the December figures come out.

(PS I'm not suggesting things aren't a bit bleak, but that's not what this thread is for!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
Snowbandit56 wrote:
I look back to when I started working in the mid seventies when we survived 26% inflation high mortgage rates and lending rates and we're still here, been there done that as they say.

erm, OK, Boomer, as the younger generation would no doubt say

Happy
No doubt they will. They've just got to remember everything in life is in circle, what goes around comes around, keep on smiling, work hard and play very hard. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well this thread is a gloomy read Laughing Laughing Laughing

Solden in a couple of weeks and Chamonix at New Year keeping me going. Best get to graft to pay for the rest!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PortSki, if you going to Chamonix for new year you must be fcking loaded. In which case this thread doesn't apply Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To be more positive, as I said on a parallel thread, on our summer holiday to Switzerland this year we found things to be pretty much the same or cheaper than the UK, compared to last year. Of course, that's self-catering, with no outlay for equipment hire or ski passes. But petrol was exactly the same in our Swiss village Eni as at the Shell 'round the corner at home. Supermarket prices were comparable and some stuff (like coffee, coffee filters and wine) was cheaper. Eating out en route in France didn't seem any more expensive than at home either.

Of course, that was before the Cunning Plan that dropped the £1 from 1.15 CHF down to 1.06 CHF in 24 hours. So for major ski holiday extras like equipment rental and ski passes, that's going to be a proportional additional cost. But even then, prices went up a bit most years and even an 8% price hike like this isn't crippling.

If there is one item that's astronomically more expensive than it used to be then it would be car rental. Our flights in Jan/Feb 2023 aren't any more than previously as far as I can see, but public transport for two of us is now definitely cheaper than car rental. But the consensus seems to be that's a fallout from the pandemic more than anything else, as rental companies disposed of stock and decided to work on a lower volume / higher price model (instead of the previous high volume / lower price).

For me, the more important questions are 'How much more will 2023 cost over and above the general price rises that happened anyway most years?' and 'How much more does a foreign holiday cost compared to the same holiday in the UK?' At the moment, our holidays look like being on a par with last year if you inflate the costs on a historical basis. But it may be that if a family has to hire equipment and pay for instruction for everyone, they will see significant price rises. And on the second question, looking at UK hotel prices for a recent anniversary long weekend, I'm not sure that it'd be cheaper to holiday to the same standards in the UK.

I'm sanguine about 2023 because we have already got flights at close to last year's price; can use public transport to get to our apartment (£87/person return); already have equipment out there; get a small discount for being seniors; and self-cater. So it's only the lift passes that are the uncertain element. Clearly, it's going to be a different prospect if you're a family of five hiring all their equipment and paying for instruction for the kids, and have to hire a car to get to your resort.

Undoubtedly, for some people, even 'just' an 8% increase in costs over and above general inflation may push them over the edge into unaffordability. Or mean that if the domestic budget is tight, the costs around ski passes and equipment hire make a summer holiday abroad that much better value-for-money.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The big cost increases have been in: car hire, airport parking, and fuel.

Everything else has just increased with inflation, or not at all.

And the Pound is back up to 1.15 this morning; pretty much where it was a year ago.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Car hire is frankly a joke
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HilbertSpace wrote:
The big cost increases have been in: car hire, airport parking, and fuel.

Everything else has just increased with inflation, or not at all.

And the Pound is back up to 1.15 this morning; pretty much where it was a year ago.

The speculators have made a nice profit over the last few days then,

We purchased our mont blanc unlimited passes yesterday on the early bird scheme for 1502 euros for the two against 1430 last year which is 5% more so pretty happy with that.

Driving down will obviously cost more in fuel costs which at current prices will add about £150 over our five weeks not that hard to get back by a few less stops for coffee etc and as we are going over xmas this year which is dearer we have said we arent going to do presents to each other so total isnt going to be that different
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
People seem to have tunnel vision on this exchange rate issue. What about the pound/yen rate? 162 Yen to the pound currently and rising. Was as low as 130 in 2020.

It has been up and down with the Euro over the last 5 years, currently it is about the average over the last 5 years.

It is only the dollar which the pound is unusually low, as are the Euro and the Yen.

The issue is the strength of the dollar, which tends to unwind when central bank rates elsewhere rise.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowbandit56,
Of all the Australian red wine you choose to drink that?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowbandit56,

During the 70/80's during those very high inflation times most folks did not have access to easy Credit (cards etc) like nowadays....Also 3x 4x Mortgages were not granted like they were in the last few years..

Folks did not go on 4 Holidays a year .. Skiing was a Luxury of the Rich

Personal debt is a timebomb in the UK ...So getting by on high inflation in 2022 is WAY more of a problem than in 1970's for todays folks !!

Here in Switzerland we have very low inflation...everthing is very expensive compared to countries around us but we have high income..(in comparison)

Getting back to the Pound Sterling Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/ZZaGwt49rKk
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dutch cabbie bloke wrote:
Here in Switzerland we have very low inflation...everthing is very expensive compared to countries around us but we have high income..(in comparison)
Since when have you been Swiss. Gerry confirmed you were Dutch when he met you in that 'bar' in St Anton.
snow report
@stanton, Today's Forex is actually £1.00 = $1.14 and 1.15 Euro.

Damn!!!!! Looks like my ski holidays may just have to forego the 1998 Petrus at lunchtime. Toofy Grin
snow report
sbooker wrote:
@Snowbandit56,

I also thought that seemed a strange tipple from someone driving an R8!
latest report
@BergenBergen, he/she has been in their cave so long that "they" are unsure of its location, or could be a case of developing "stockholm syndrome" after being held captive for so long, but if i was the captor i would have set the cockwomble free donkeys ago!!!

like you, i am sure the habitual troll is a cloggie, as "they" were always espousing said countries many benefits over "monkey island", though at the moment is conveniently forgetting that the NL inflation rate is
is currently an eye watering 17%

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/dutch-inflation-leaps-17-boosted-by-high-energy-prices-2022-09-30/
snow report
The Euro is resiliant ....

http://youtube.com/v/c-DhUeqeFcQ
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:
dutch cabbie bloke wrote:
Since when have you been Swiss. Gerry confirmed you were Dutch when he met you in that 'bar' in St Anton.

You are assuming that the original Stanton - Nigel the Nottingham cab driver is the same as today's Stanton from Switzerland? Maybe he is like one of those soap opera characters where the actor changes over the years.
ski holidays
@davidof, I have often thought that. Original 'Nigel the cabbie' has morphed into 'Neils the financial guru'...!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
sbooker wrote:
@Snowbandit56,

I also thought that seemed a strange tipple from someone driving an R8!

Probably WHY they can afford the R8... wink
latest report
Could the UK go Bankrupt ?

http://youtube.com/v/6Uq9uTCltAQ

The UK is in economic Freefall

http://youtube.com/v/wuCnW-uK0s4
snow report
stanton wrote:
Could the UK go Bankrupt ?

http://youtube.com/v/6Uq9uTCltAQ

The UK is in economic Freefall

http://youtube.com/v/wuCnW-uK0s4

Short answer is no.
latest report
@sbooker, half the forum ignores this idiot. It would be really helpful if you didn't inflict his posts on us by quoting them. Thanks.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@sbooker, half the forum ignores this idiot. It would be really helpful if you didn't inflict his posts on us by quoting them. Thanks.

Ok. Sorry. I'm not heavily experienced on the forum. I thought the question was serious but naive at the same time. I was being genuine.
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:

Has someone actually met him?
snow report
Gerry/hamiltonaccademical allegedly did.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/jlwViW_lS-A
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:

Only half? I'm surprised.
snow conditions
Got to love a trier
snow report
@BobinCH, Just trying to lighten it up a bit, St Anton has such a negative spin particularly towards the UK, some of us are still enjoying life and can afford to ski. Oh by the way we did have some nicer wine in some lovely Austrian restaurants and over in Samnoun.
latest report
You do wonder if the pistes will be quieter this year, there is no denying a ski holiday is an expensive holiday & the cost of living is really starting to bite even further up the income ladder.
snow report
@sbooker, stanton is a troll and has never been skiing
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
You do wonder if the pistes will be quieter this year, there is no denying a ski holiday is an expensive holiday & the cost of living is really starting to bite even further up the income ladder.

Ha, when booking 3rd week of Jan - all the places I wanted to go were fully booked. When making phone inquiries hotel managers/owners were surprised how busy it is. So gone is my favourite quiet January ski
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:

Bookings in our village, and neighbouring villages, are very healthy. It’s going to be a busy season.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/_MQQUD36WaI

Enjoy your Tax Hikes today Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
stanton wrote:

I'm off to plant some 50p's in the garden next to the magic beans.
snow conditions
Don't think many people from Turkey will have Holidays this year.. Inflation rates across Europe.
https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate?continent=europe
latest report
Gored wrote:
stanton wrote:

I'm off to plant some 50p's in the garden next to the magic beans.

I think I'll stop tipping taxi drivers to save money, especially if it's a Dutch one anywhere between Zurich and St Anton.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy