Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra at Christmas 2004

Poster: A snowHead
How is it in Andorra at Christmas/New year? I'm a novice and my partner is experienced, will I get private tuition OK and will he find people to ski reds/blacks with? Any general advice about Andorra?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much going on tonight, so welcome to snowheads sarah42, . I've not been to Andorra but younger types like Nadenoodlee love the place and rave about the English tuition and the lively scene.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love Andorra, its the only place i'll go back to again and again

Never been there at christmas time but a couple of friends were in Pas last year and apparently everything carries on as normal. Pas is a great lively resort and has linked up its ski areas with soldeu so either of those resorts would provide more than enough for you and your partner. Think theres a scgb rep in Soldeu too so it should be easy enough to find people to ski with.

Only had tuition in Pas and Arinsal. Pas I was skiing and had a few private lessons and id have to say they were pretty damn good! I had an aussie guy teaching me so there werent any language barriers and he took us to some excellent mountain bars too! Definately worth pre booking your lessons especially at xmas as id imagine the resort would be booked up. Get in a group lesson and meet some people, then take a few private lessons later on in the week.

Arinsal I was boarding and again the tuition was good but there was soooo much of it! think we did like 5 hrs a day! it was a killer, i couldnt lie flat for ages! but we were going up to the top of the mountain after the first three hours so I guess the guy knew what he was doing!

Never stayed in Soldeu- i know Eeyore has though and a few others so they might be able to help.

If youre looking at staying in hotels, then Reial Pirineus or Himalaia Pas in Pas de la casa or Princessa park in Arinsal ( if you can ge into the Diana park you're laughing though its prob sold out already- jacuzzis in the rooms etc)

Both of the resorts are really friendly and the nightlife in both is excellent- you should have a fab xmas out there- but book soon otherwise you'l end up in a dive! NehNeh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Sarah, Welcome to snowheads!
I've been completely put off going to Andorra (esp Pas de la Casa) with all the horror stories, but if Faliraki style pub crawls are your thing then you'll love it. Have a read of this
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
(Welcome Sarah42 snowHead )

Wow, Pas sounds like my idea of hell! That sort of report will only make things worse, attracting more of the same and putting off the family skier.

Never been there (to ski), did drive through one summer 25 years ago... sounds as if it's changed out of all recognition since. But is it really as bad as the DT makes out? Are the other resorts of a similar style? SnowHeads comments in the other Andorra thread make it sound 'lively', nothing more.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Doesn't it sound horrendous? I'm sure that's a very "special" piece of selective journalism, but all the same, there must be hint of truth in it somewhere. Read with a large pinch of salt!!
However, 3,000 Brits go there every season so they must be doing something right. I just prefer my ski holidays garnished with alpine charm, not vomiting yoofs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never been to Pas, but I did go to Soldeu last year and it wasn't that bad. OK, zero alpine charm, resort 90% British, quite a few football shirts, but our hotel (the Himalaia) was excellent, plenty of Spanish guests, and was very 'Andorran' (i.e. all the staff were either Andaluz or Portuguese!). Also plenty of families in the resort. If you avoid the tour operator organised activities you can actually have a fairly civilised (and cheap) holiday. Also, ski school is excellent.

How experienced is your partner? While I would thoroughly recommend Soldeu for a beginner, the terrain is neither extensive nor particularly challenging, so if he is an expert he may soon get bored. Plenty for the aspiring intermediate though. The best advanced skiing in Andorra is in Aracalis, which unfortunately is about an hour's drive away from Soldeu.

Incidentally, if you can get away from the resort 'towns' you'll find a very different Andorra. I lived in Andorra la Vella for a year or so in the early nineties, and never met another Brit unless I was skiing in Arinsal. Did most of my skiing in Pal, which was completely Brit free as it can only be accessed by car and has no accommodation (although I think they've now built a gondola connection between Pal and Arinsal so this is probably no longer the case).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That article is very similar to the media coverage from Faliraki- a load of s*!t

Basically it has a summer holiday atmosphere in a ski resort, its nothing like as extreme as the article says ( it was probably written by some snow snob)

If you like plenty of apres ski other than a fondue and/or gluwein evening then you should go there. The skiing is great, its cheap and everyone is there for a laugh, theres never any "trouble" and you meet so many great people.

Luckily the so called "bad press" keeps the whigers away so everyone can carry on having a good time.

Arinsal is a smaller resort but equally as good, similar nightlife but a bit more family orientated, only thing is theres no snow at resort level, you need to get a bubble up to the snow every morning we never qued more than 10 mins but its a pretty steep ascent (if youre a wimp like me its something to consider!!!)

If you do go make sure you go to Caldea ( the big spa) in Andorra la Vella- its gorgeous.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 20-04-04 12:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Dave's point was that the staff came from elsewhere
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bloody hell, it sounds awful! I'm a bit of a wimp, and paid through the nose for private (but excellent) lessons in Val Thorens, (having been expelled from ski school...) and someone there said Andorra was much cheaper and the ski instruction was very good. Where else then? Partner skis twice or even thrice a year and thinks its the best thing ever invented. I really want to get better at it, obviously, and we thought we'd go at Christmas for me, somewhere gentle and encouraging! I want someone to hold my hand! I want to do it! Waaaah!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't want scary people being sick and pushing me over, I want peaceful mountains and cameraderie and vin chaud and I don't want to be expelled and I want to ski!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah42, Laughing Laughing

Hmm, tough one - I was going to say try Val Thorens, until I re-read your post, realised you'd already been there & were looking for somewhere cheaper! But I know just how you feel as my partner skis better than me & I just want to catch up! How about Austria? Only prob may be snow for Christmas/New Year - look at the thread on Crystal Offer - Austrian New Year for advice snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You were expelled from ski school? Is this a first for a snowHead?! What did you do Exclamation Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah42 wrote:
Bloody hell, it sounds awful! I'm a bit of a wimp, and paid through the nose for private (but excellent) lessons in Val Thorens, (having been expelled from ski school...) and someone there said Andorra was much cheaper and the ski instruction was very good. Where else then? Partner skis twice or even thrice a year and thinks its the best thing ever invented. I really want to get better at it, obviously, and we thought we'd go at Christmas for me, somewhere gentle and encouraging! I want someone to hold my hand! I want to do it! Waaaah!

There's no way you can drop the fact you've been expelled from ski school and not tell us how ................
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look, its not very exciting. I didn't push anyone over a precipice or anything. I was spectacularly (how do you spell that?) crap on day one and fell over and over and over and over and over and over and over, then I coughed up for a few days of one to one, which was really good and gave me some confidence and I really liked all the whizzing about, then I tried to get back into group lessons but the Instructor wouldn't let me use my poles, and I went back to being really crap because I was unbalanced, maybe psychological but there you go, and I was just told I wasn't good enough and I had to go! I cried! But I did have a couple of days of thinking it was all really brilliant and I'M SURE I CAN DO IT. And anyway the French look at you when you fall over like they're thinking "You can't fall over THERE", but I can fall over anywhere.
ski holidays
That sucks, lessons shouldn't make you feel bad.
snow report
Terrible story, sarah42 - ise is right, no instructor should make you feel bad. Do you want to name and shame the school (is it three letters)?

I've always found private instruction to be excellent. You're right that it's not always cheap, but I still reckon it's better value-for-money at the end of the day.

I've heard the horror stories of Andorra as well, bult although I've never been there, I've heard there were a couple of resorts that were supposed to be really nice (Pal?) but they're a bug to get to - something like up to six hours on the coach.

It sounds like you're in a similar situation to myself and my fiancee. She's a very nervous skier and we do find it difficult to ski together (well, I find it difficult, although I do try). The best comprimise we've found was to go with another couple, and then she could ski with them for a bit, then I'll ski with her for a bit. That way she's not skiing on her own (I wouldn't want her doing that in case she fell badly), whereas I still get to ski the fun stuff.

Is budget an issue? If not (and even if it is), I'd be tempted to stick to bigger resorts, or at least those with a good selection of advanced terrain for your other half. Sure, lift passes and tuition will be more pricey, but you're probably only talking about an extra 30-40% - which is what, £30-40 extra each. Accommodation need not be any more expensive, especially if you're willing to go self catering. Did Courchevel this year, and Chamonix last year - both on a really tight budget.

Just a few thoughts to get you started...
ski holidays
Good advice from Masopa. A couple of things about group lessons, and especially with the ESF. They have many superb and patient teachers, but they also have quite a few grumpy old 'montagnards' filling in time until retirement, and young, cocky self-styled superheroes who really believe they should be up there on the podium alongside Hermann Maier. Together they represent a small minority, but it is so important, especially if you're a bit of a nervous beginner, to get the right instructor.

During holiday periods the French ski schools can be overwhelmed, especially in Feb. The receptionists are not always as helpful as they might be - French customer service is one area where they could do with a few lessons themselves. But notwithstanding this, never forget that you are the client. If you are unhappy with any part of the teaching process, ask to change to a different group, and if you don't get satisfaction, demand to see the ESF (or whatever) director.

When I first put my very shy daughter (then 6) into private lessons, I knew little about the system. But as we travelled around during the first winter season I soon began to be able to spot the subtle and not so suble differences in style, technique and manner, and to understand the kind of teacher she needed. So I started specifying the type of instructor I wanted - and it worked. It has to be said - a woman instructor was best, without a doubt, in terms of patience. So I asked for one. (There were other factors too that came into play as Hannah grew older and more skilled). Yes, it was sometimes thought odd that I should ask so firmly for what I wanted, but I had few complaints. Otherwise the receptionist would just foist the first name on the list on you.

Better still, get a recommendation if you can. If you ever head for Les Deux Alpes, Easiski (who's a snowHead) would be perfect for you. I've watched her demonstrate the utmost patience with a reluctant, clumsy, shy teenage lad who then believed that he was useless at all sports. He now absolutely loves it and doesn't miss an opportunity to get to the slopes whenever he comes to stay. Those early lessons were key.

(I'm not on commission!)
snow conditions
Going against the grain, I've been to andorra twice and must say that articel is perhaps a tad sensationalist. First tie I went to Pas de la Casa, it was only my second week skiing and so I was in ski school which oddly was in the afternoon. We fell into a routine of skiing till lunch, then lessons after lunch, finishing just in time for happy hour at a slopeside bar where we'd try to make a dent in their beer reserves. When happy hour finished we'd depart, promising faithfully to meet everyone in bar x at x o'clock, only to eat and pass out.

Soldeu the following year was a bit more restrained. The village is much smaller, we were almost at one end and it was a 3 minute walk up to the Gondola. We still enjoyed ourselves though Smile

In both places I really enjoyed the ski school, never been able to afford private lessons so can;t compare, but in Pas we were taught by a South american guy married to an american girl, and in Soldeu by a giel who spoke really good english - however we seem to be the odd ones out as we neither if or tutors spoke English as their primary language!

One word of caution, we spent Xmas 2000 at Baqueira Beret, some 80 miles west of Andorra. There was no snow in the village and limites skiing on the top - enough to keep us happy but by no means the whole area. Naturally, it puked it down on our last day (stuck in a restaurant from lunch until 4pm when they finally cleared the road and took us back in a bus) so New year must have been fab (we're talking over two feet of powder overnight), but so ealry in the season can be gamble wherever you go.
snow conditions
I'm really impressed with all this help and advice! Thanks very much! Any more????!!! I know about the snow-panic-thing, in Val thorens this Christmas we were really anxious and for the first half of the week the three valleys was shut, but it threw it down all week and it opened midweek. Not that I got involved with all THAT side of it, you understand, I was carefully concentrating on falling off the tops of lifts, the bottoms of lifts, on the way up the nursery escalator, down the blue runs, on the way home from the pub etc etc etc.
Yes, it was an ESF who was mean and nasty to me, but it was also another ESF who provided me with the one to ones, and he was great - really encouraging and made it a lot of fun. That's why I'm so desperate to succeed really - I can see it must be marvellous if you can do it!
ski holidays
I've not thoroughly read all above replies so I apologise if I repeat anyone. I've been to Soldue twice and enjoyed both times.
One good point to mention is that most the english ski school tutors are actually english, or from down under so language is never a problem. I've found the ski school great both visits.

The resort itself is a little small compared to some of the alpine resorts, but for a nervous skier it gives a little reassurance that whichever run you take, you will end up in the right place!!

If you want a very peaceful place, El Tarter (the other end of the soldeu ski area) is extremely quite.
latest report
sarah42, I learn't to ski in Soldeu....the ski school was so good we went back year after year. I was like you....fell over and over and over and over....had to be taken to the bar at the end of my first week to get over the terror. I even went back into beginners and pretended I hadn't skied before in my second week I was so scared! But the guys in Soldeu sorted me out....I'd highly recommend them.

Went to Arinsal too, a few years later, but we didn't like it, ski school was pants and our two beginners were scared witless by the catchnet over a cliff at the bottom of the nursery slope - really wouldn't recommend it!

My only word of caution would be that, if your partner is really experienced they'll be bored in Soldeu after a few days, there's nothing really tough, but if they're happy on cruisy reds then they're up for a great time....especially now they've sorted out the link and you can ski over to Pas on one skipass.

By the way...we were never scared and no one was ever sick on us so go on....give it a go!
ski holidays
Ive seen that catch net at the bottom of the beginners

I used to throw myself on the floor every time i got within 100 yrds- ahh snowboarding was fun
ski holidays
homphomp, this is the best news. I too was thinking of pretending I'd never done it - they'd never guess! I've never heard anyone else say they were rubbish and then suceeded (succeeded?), although a fair few tried it and never did it again. I AM going to do it. What shall I do then? Spend all summer at Castleford? I did a few lessons on my local dry slope and I don't fancy going back there, it felt horrible! My partner is great, by the way, and is prepared for a tame week if it gets me skiing. He'll be going again anyway - I might even go too! God; I must go to work.
snow report
sarah42, I did a "learn to ski in a day" thingy at Tamworth before my first ski trip & it was the best thing ever. I managed to avoid the complete beginners ski school group & blag my way into the next group up, so a few trips to Cas might not be a bad thing. It's far better than dry slope, which I hate.
this is the nicest ESF instructor ever, not only is he most patient & brilliant teacher, he's also damn nice to look at! Wink
ski holidays
Ski Bunny, Recognise that little building stuck in the middle of the Les Orres front de neige as an afterthought in your photo! Not sure if I recognise the ESF guy, next time you're there ask him if he knows Stéphane Gibert, a great friend of ours, and a Les Orres ESF instructor......
snow report
sarah42, I stayed in the 'skiied once before' class a good couple of times - and they never did guess. I have a problem with confidence and am over-cautious - I also think runs are going to be much worse than they actually are. Just keep with it and keep taking classes (stay away from ESF if you can). My confidence improves as my technique does. My proper second week skiing my (ESF) instructor kept shouting at me not to snowplough but didn't actually explain to me how not to! A wasted week spent following 10 other people round the pistes. 3rd week in Alpe d'Huez with Masterclass (an English ski school) I was parallel turning within 5 mins. I never thought I'd see the day but the last hols I even went down some blacks! It will come to you, especially if you're determined. Keep practicising on slopes you feel comfortable on and when you feel happy on those, move on up! snowHead
snow conditions
PG, have you looked at the rest of those photos? Photo 3 is why I love Les Orres so much - NO PEOPLE!!
There's hardly any snow left there now, but a lovely blue sky today!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Bunny, Still there's quite a bit more than this time last year - April 12th last year we turned up there at 3 in the morning after a drive of something like ten hours from Austria for the last race of the season. All that was left was a narrow strip of snow which stopped a lot higher in the webcam photo, where the stadium arrivals hut is. 2003/4 must have been a very good year down south!
snow report
Ski Bunny, Just looked at the other photos..... the southern French Alps are the place to visit if you want to get away from it all... and from the Brits!
snow report
PG wrote:
Ski Bunny, Just looked at the other photos..... the southern French Alps are the place to visit if you want to get away from it all... and from the Brits!

Certainly are! That's why I have no desire to go to Andorra & join in the tequilla slammer contests (just to get back on topic slightly!!)
Very Happy
snow report
They just pour it down your throat- saves on glasses NehNeh
ski holidays
Hey Sarah42. Soldeu can get a bit lary but there's also El Tarter which is just down the road & considerably quieter plus plenty of out of town hotels which will keep you from the party animals (I've heard the Hotel Del Clos is quite good). From your skiing as you describe it, you'd be hard pushed to better the big wide & generously rated slopes in Andorra plus, so far, best ski tuition you'll find. I'm off to Austria for New Year but I'll be back in Soldeu come Marchtime
snow report
Personal opinions only so no offence to those that love it..............BUT.....

I would avoid it unless you were both beginners, your BF will be bored but he'll still enjoy it as he's with you Wink, in skiing terms I enjoyed my time there (Soldeu Feb/March 2003) and i'd recommend it definately to beginners but not to anyone with any experience or people with get and go - by the 3rd day we were doing the same runs over and over again. Also the area is one huge piste, there isn't really any off piste readily available, majority of runs are by most european resorts blue. the blacks are laughable and very short. Pas is horrible and although the areas are linked now by one ski pass, it doesn't offer much more.

Also, don't be fooled by it having a "cheap", it is definately not - although 3 euros for a litre of 70% absynthe is quite cheap! The bars and food are ok (common pub food) but price is pretty similar to most european resorts. Everywhere you go you'll find brits. It's a friendly place.

If you have a sense of balance, sporty and like a challenge then head for somewhere else in the alps that has a lot more to offer and varied skiing. I'm glad i went as i like to try new places but i wouldn't go again as there are so many better/other places to visit and try!

I wont comment on snow conditions as to do so is a false reading of a resort and the one thing that the resort can not really control.
snow conditions
I think Andorra is great, an excellent choice for learners through to mid intermediate. Of the 3 main resorts, soldeu is the best. Ski school is excellent, i would definately go back to soldeu. The only drag about Andorra is the long transfer. I definately like the atmosphere too, none of that snobbyness you find in a lot of the alpine resorts, people who go to Andorra go for a good, fun, value for money ski/board holiday.
snow report
Amen The_Mac_Daddy, NehNeh
ski holidays
And so say all of us!! snowHead too
snow report
Don't be put off by the transfer....the new tunnel makes it down to 2 1/2 to 3 hours now (unless there's heaps of snow)!
snow conditions
sarah42,hope this is of help.Was in Andorra Jan this year with family(El Tater)Family orientated so quiet;apart from mid-week when they held some sort of dog sledge regatta.Bloody mayhem with dogs,sledges,more dogs and lots of very excited Andorrans.It was great fun,and the dogs were fantastic.My 7yr old daughter ended up under a pile of huskies,all franticly trying to lick her to death Laughing Anyway,the skiing is limited but good.Ideal for beginners/intermediate.The ski school is excellent and well run.Your tale of woe on lessons is disgracefull,makes me wish I had been there Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad My 18yr old daughter "was" very much like you.She used to fall over just thinking about skiing rolling eyes We are just back from Valmorel in the French Alps.This was her 1st week on the proper stuff.First day out,on the very gentle run down to the 1st chair lift she completely lost it!Fell down within the first 20ft,threw a tantrum and proberbly wet herself,all at the same time Sad Took me the best part of an hour to calm her down and send her of to the nursery slopes to "practise"!!.Next day I persuaded(paid)her to have a private lesson with ESF.Quick word with lady on desk and she got Evelyn.Quiet word with Evelyn pre lesson(very nervous/frightened pupil etc)and she was off.Result;by the end of the week she did 2 reds with me Shocked She is now gagging to back on the snow.That is the result of just one,I repeat,one 90min lesson.The point is it was obviously the "right" lesson with the "right" instructor.I honestly believed,at one point,that my daughter would never ski(and so did she)Just goes to prove how wrong you can be.You can ski,you know you can.All you need is a little guidence from the right instructor and you will be off.I would suggest you head for a family friendly type of resort(used to beginners etc)One to one lessons are better than group.Yes,they cost more,but you get undivided attention so will need fewer.Here in the UK,Snowdomes are a good bet;plus they have the advantage that its easy to complain if the instructors crap.They need all the punters they can get,so are terrified of customer complaints.Personel opinion,dont waste your time on dry slopes;snow it ain't.Best advice-chuck your fears out,clip on some skis and go for it.You just know you're gonna love it Laughing Best of luck Laughing
snow conditions
snowskisnow, cheers.
Cheers to everyone. This is all very encouraging. Can't you all come with me?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy