Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
not seen that yet on the normal forecasts I use, although this storm could go any direction or fizzle out before it gets this side of the alps.

lets see what the next run brings.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are heading out on Tuesday 17th if anyone wants to meet up for a ski or a beer. Hoping the snow is better this trip as we have already had a week at Xmas which was like skiing an ice rink, then 3 weeks Jan/Feb when it kept snowing the days we were travelling and all the fresh was skied out by the time we arrived at the next place. This will be the last week of the season for us so watching the weather closely. Will be based in Meribel but can travel anywhere in 3V.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi All
Heading out to Courchevel tomorrow and really looking forward to it.
I'm wondering can someone recommend some nice wide blue runs that my better half can build her confidence on the first day? She has done 2 trips before and her ski school doesn't start till our second day. So I'm looking for some nice runs that I can take her on her first day that won't be too challenging and the snow on the pistes will be in decent shape.
We are staying in 1550 but I'm presuming we'll be mostly heading to 1850 and taking it from there?
Haven't been to Courchevel before so any tips welcome Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@adriangrogan, I found 1650 to be ideal for beginners, otherwise Verdons in 1850
I'm sure some Courch experts will be along shortly to put you straight
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Jardin Alpin area will be perfect! Lovely long green through the trees.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jardin alpin and then Verdons, then petit lac, biollay to end. Should build her up gradually
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sat at Luton awaiting flight Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's super. Thanks everyone!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Jardin Alpin but also Courchevel 1650 (which should be less busy).

Plus a couple of lovely pizza place just off the snow on the main street.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Didn't ski yesterday had boots assessed at the boot lab in 1650. New footbeds for Mrs LM and myself. Runs back to La praz look open and people skiing. Transfer driver suggested staying high for best skiing.

Will be heading out this morning taking daughter on her first chair lift and skiing over to 1850.

Doesn't look like a top of snow is coming
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A great morning of skiing, set off around 9.30 to avoid the rush, very warm at 1400m in la tania, but windy on top, lifts not closed.

Took daughter down the green from the top of the la tania bubble to bouc blanc lift - she loved the lift asking if she could do it again Smile

Took the green all the way down to 1850 joining verdons, then jardin alpin up to the courchneige for a break, followed by down the green to verdons lift then back up to the family park, a run down the race track up and down the rollers great fun for my 5yo, with squeals of noise every time she went down the drops. Got the chair back up to the top of loze then down the blue to top of la tania, daughter decided she wanted to do the red down to the restaurant, we got down with only a fall after crossing some ice where the snow was scraped off. I'm amazed she wanted to do it, and then did it was relative ease, I'm now worried she'll be onto blacks next Wink

Piste conditions very good, nice soft snow, the odd bit of ice where the snow has been scraped off on busy routes and steeper runs.

Red down to la tania looks ok from the bubble, a few patches of grass/mud showing through but looks possible to ski without problems.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A quiet day just doing the runs of la Tania, snow conditions great from around 10 for an hour or two before coming slushy. Was feeling warm, so stopped after lunch. The red softened up enough around 12 to make it nice to ski. The blue delivered it usual pleasing run
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First day in Orelle. Delayed start as VT lifts were slow to open due to high winds which lasted all day on the ridge. When we did get across, a real mix of conditions on piste, some hard & scraped, slush lower down late on but also some very nice light fresh coverings in places. Best conditions just below resort in Caron sector. A couple of minor queues early afternoon but generally pretty quiet. All in all very enjoyable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Little Martin wrote:
A quiet day just doing the runs of la Tania, snow conditions great from around 10 for an hour or two before coming slushy. Was feeling warm, so stopped after lunch.
Are you mad? The conditions higher up are very good and there's hero snow in the right places. If you've got a 3V pass the run into Mont Vallon had perfect grippy snow on it today and Combe de Vallon was the least challenging I've seen it in a long time. Get out and explore!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Had to stay in la tania for daughter's lessons. She is in the age group above her and we weren't sure she would do 4 hours.

She didn't, managed 3 before she was tired. I was a bit worried when the instructor said no poles and they would be only doing troika, I said I think she is in the wrong group. Apparently he had to assess levels which I understand, but worried about my daughter not enjoying it. Thankfully they headed up to do the green later in the lesson and will be skiing over to 1850 tomorrow. The instructor was happy she can ski better than most others in the group, but that comes from skiing nearly every weekend at Hemel through the summer.

It's a shame there aren't more groups this time of year as we wouldn't have put her in a 4 hr lesson if we didn't have to.

Tomorrow I will be taking it easy in the morning will probably just take a route to 1850 and back, as I have all mountain lesson in the afternoon.
ski holidays
Great day skiing today, covered a lot of ground in 1850. Mostly grippy snow till later this afternoon where it's turning a bit slushy. Pistes generally in great condition still with a couple of ice patches around. Heading high definitely helps.

Very warm in la tania at lunch time, looks like this will continue for a few more days, definitely need pit and leg vents open Wink

Possibility of some snow to come this weekend.
ski holidays
Second day in Orelle.

And that's about it. Links to VT closed all day due to high winds. I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the Peyron blue having skied it ten times. On the beers at 3pm and still going now so will sign off... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Much better day today in Val T, blue skies and as yet no winds to be seen. Everyone's heading off to Meribel to watch the downhill today so it's going to be busy down there.
snow report
Blue skies today pistes pretty much the same good morning softening up through the day, lower runs getting slushy earlier than higher.

Did saluire to le praz great run
snow report
@Little Martin, not surprised that a 4 year old couldn't cope with 4 hours - sounds like she did very well, even so. I've not come across such lengthy lessons. Why you were worried about "no poles"? Seems fairly standard for little ones and they manage admirably without, putting to shame many adult learners who just cling to them like a drowning man.
ski holidays
she's 5 nearly 6. She's been using poles in her lessons for a while now.

3 lessons in and there's no complaints from her, instructor still says she's the best in the group and is now comparing her to the current local champion skier who started at that age, they were on greens and blues today which is the level I thought she would be taught at, apparently they also went off-piste, although I doubt that means anything more than just off the side of the pistes... I hope! Wink

They are doing the air bag tomorrow, which should be great fun.

The red into la tania is looking very thin in places now, not sure it'll last much longer in this weather. The green looks very slushy in places from the lift.
snow report
Another blue sky day in VT and no sign of the wind. Off to Meribel and Coucheval today but expecting the snow to get much softer down there. Mont Vallon was superb yesterday especially as most were watching the woman's downhill. For those coming out this weekend, don't worry there is still good skiing and lots of it, especially on the higher pistes. Les Menuires looks very brown from a distance but the runs are still open.
snow conditions
Quote:

The red into la tania is looking very thin in places now, not sure it'll last much longer in this weather. The green looks very slushy in places from the lift.

But there's an alternative to come down on a lift isn't there? It's fine staying in a lower area as long as people are not self-conscious about downloading!
ski holidays
Quote:

But there's an alternative to come down on a lift isn't there? It's fine staying in a lower area as long as people are not self-conscious about downloading!

Yes, and the blue run (quite a testing blue mind you) will be in much better shape than the red as it has cannons and they work hard to keep it open.
snow conditions
la tania blue was hard work at 1pm today, very soft snow most of the way down.

1650 was good today, plenty of runs on good snow, getting softer lower down.

Daughter loved the air bag, I get the feeling we will be doing that on Saturday before we transfer in the afternoon, they apparently also did part of a black, not sure how steep it is as I've not done that one yet, we think it was the top part of jean blanc to where it joins arolles blue on the way back to la tania.

Another blue sky sunny day, tomorrow the same, although some reports showing a bit of snow, saturday looks like snow still
snow report
Arrived at 2pm on slope at 2:30, got a half day pass, best 40€ spent for a long time, beautiful afternoon.

Had some good runs around 1850,Suissse and Pylones a highlight, nice beer at Bouc blanc, La Tania blue at 17:30 was brillant, the soft snow had gone granular, no one was on it, what a whizz
ski holidays
Days 3&4 in Orelle.

Two days of glorious weather but snow conditions now distinctly varied. Anything below resort level in VT now likely be bare and/or slushy. However still plenty of fun to be had higher up with the pistes in Peclet and Thorens sectors generally in good nick. The Lac Blanc red from the top of the bubble a particular favourite of mine.
snow conditions
Not so blue skies today, but still feeling warm. Went over to meribel up to mont do vallon. Pistes weren't bashed but ok, nothing too soft. Went down towards st martin, on grand lac and pelozet - excellent run, some really nice rollers to get a bit of air on.

Went along the top of meribel on cretes and down towards the roc der fer and the world cup - unfortunately a bit late to see any of the racing, so dropped down to meribel centre on very soft snow.

Red down to la tania open down to bouc blanc, but closed the rest of the way. It's very thin on the parts that were open.

Final day tomorrow off to the fun park and air bag in 1850 for a bit of fun with my daughter in the morning, hoping to get Mrs LM to do a jump too Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to Vt pistes variable as was the light, saw a bit of the eclipse, best bits were Plan d'eau and Pylones on the way home, so many new lifts since I was here in 2013, don't get the tent at the top of 3V 2 coming out of VT, is this a new trend?
ski holidays
Leaving Orelle this morning.

Another good if somewhat lazy day in VT yesterday, notably busier with a few bottlenecks e.g the Moutiere chair but also some strangely quiet pistes with good snow: the Asters red from the top of the Thorens lift & the Tete Ronde blue from Peclet good examples.

New snow now definitely needed especially if current temperatures are sustained. Overall been very impressed with my first visit to VT since the 90s. Even the prices seem reasonable with beer costing the same as in London. For a good cheap lunch I'd highly recommend the Wok Ski noodle bar in the restaurant complex above the Portette chair.
ski holidays
Last day skiing yesterday and went over to Orelle in the morning which was quiet and simply wonderful. By the time we got back to VT side the weather was closing in and visibility was very poor. The run back in from top of plain sud had visibility down to about 10 metres. Has been lightly snowing since and woke up this morning to about 3cms of new snow. Visibility is still poor in the village so assume the runs will be quiet today. That's it for another year for me.
latest report
Hi All,
I'm off to Val Thorens for the first time at Easter (5-11th April). In fact this is our first trip to the Three Valleys. Mrs Higs can't get away from work so it's just me and the kids (who completed the Etoile Bronze at half-term). We do have friends in VT for the same week but their kids are a bit younger than mine and haven't skied as much so I think they're in a ski school until early afternoon. My kids have already done one week of ski school this year and, being selfish, if they did another week I end up skiing on my own a fair bit. Also if kids were in ski school every morning I guess it will be difficult to see much of Courcheval or Meribel in the afternoons.

So, I'm thinking of getting an instructor for the kids for the first three mornings and then skiing together for the last three days (and afternoons of the first three, obviously).

Anyway, any tips/hints on Val Thorens and the area - whether that's places to ski, places to eat, instructors, equipment hire, etc - gratefully received. Otherwise I'll just read on here and absorb.
snow report
I am back home. Left la Tania yesterday as it started to rain. Apparently 10cm of snow higher up.

Easyjet lost ski bag, now praying that the bag is found. rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

So, I'm thinking of getting an instructor for the kids for the first three mornings

I wouldn't delay in fixing something - there are reports that some people have found very limited availability.

Why not join the kids and get an instructor for all of you? It will cost very little more and could be a lot of fun and even if you ski better than your kids an instructor is sure to be able to give you some tips and drills to improve.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

So, I'm thinking of getting an instructor for the kids for the first three mornings

I wouldn't delay in fixing something - there are reports that some people have found very limited availability.

I think you might be right. It's on my list of things to sort this weekend.

pam w wrote:

Why not join the kids and get an instructor for all of you? It will cost very little more and could be a lot of fun and even if you ski better than your kids an instructor is sure to be able to give you some tips and drills to improve.

I'll have a think about it. We did something similar a few years ago - kids had an instructor for the first 4 mornings while Mrs Higs and I had a different instructor for the first two. My only worry about joining the kids would be that I would be a distraction for them.
ski holidays
My last day in La Tania. It looked depressingly bad this morning, damp snow and poor visibilty. Got to the top of the gondola and awful visibilty, went to top of the Bouc Blanch and you could see the whole of the Courchevel bowl. The valley mist hung around to early afternoon but staying high there was excellent skiing on about 3-4 inches of new snow. Did La Masse and bits of LesMenuires on the way back, coukdn't do Mont Vallon on way back as it was shut due to high winds. Back in Courchevel snow was excellent, Pylones was again the best. Beer at Bouc Blanch and a quick ski back down the blue which still is a winner for me.

End of my season now. Have to start planning for next year.
ski holidays
I like it when you leave la tania, get high enough to find yourself above all the nasty weather Smile

I'm half disappointed to have had sunny skies last week, would love to have had some fresh snow to ski.

Ski bag apparently found and will be shipped back to me during the week, hope everything is still in it
ski holidays
Beautiful day in Val Thorens - not a cloud in sight. Spent the morning on my favourite reds in Orelle - slopes in fantastic condition and very quiet. Probably my favourite ever day skiing. Awesome!
ski holidays
Glorious spring skiing day in the 3V's today! Cold, crisp and sunny. After days of 24 hour slush the freezing level finally dropped and we got back to proper spring skiing. Everything from freshly-pisted smooth ice first thing to grippy winter snow high up to crusty powder to sugar and slush available today. 13,000m of vertical and I didn't do first or last lift. In VT from LT for 10:30am, did a circuit of all the top lifts with a bit of crusty powder off the Glacier chair:
(excuse the thumbprint Embarassed )

Before heading to Orelle to come down my favourite lazy bloke's itinerary, the Bouchet valley:
Met a Scottish bloke with a BASI badge at the point where this was taken who had just hiked in from the Col chair without skins on and was knackered - he thought it was the only way in. Still not sure if he was grateful for me telling him he could have got in much higher up straight off a chair!

Thanks to head_like_a_rock for the Wok Ski recommendation. Have had lunch there twice this week, a good Chicken Teriyaki and an even better Thai Chicken Curry. Good call!

The brake on my one-week old skis disintegrated this afternoon so I had to swap an excellent après set with a Blues band for a trek to Albertville to get it replaced. Oh well, at least I know where there's a great après set with a post-modernist pianist tomorrow to compensate wink
snow report
Oooh... Wok Ski looks interesting...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy