Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2014/2015: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
With only a month until the first lifts open, I thought it was time to get this thread up and running. Plus freezing levels are dropping down to 1150m over the next 36 hours, and there's a strong chance of at least a dusting of snow (and maybe a bit more in the higher resorts). Hopefully we'll get a few posts from Patch updating us on conditions.

There's been quite a bit of development since the last season ended - lots of new lifts and pistes across Courcheval, La Tania, Meribel and Val Thorens. A link attached below which details all of the changes.

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2015/info/new2015/2015.html

Fingers crossed the 3 Vallees will be waking up to the first dump of snow in the morning! Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meribel this morning, 1450m
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers conkerpow@gmail.com, great photo.

Looking white on the Val Thorens webcams

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/val-thorens/live/livecams--webcams/resort-livecam.550.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La tania: http://www.latania.co.uk/blog/?p=7383
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice time lapse video on youtube showing the first snowfall yesterday in Val Thorens

http://youtube.com/v/EhA-xEu_-7I
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
very cool!!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Handy Turnip wrote:
Cheers conkerpow, great photo.

Indeed, and welcome to sHs conkerpow snowHead

Nice 1st post.

Its usually advisable not to have your email address as a username - avoids it being picked up and spammed Smile

NB: edited to remove aforementioned email address!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 24-10-14 12:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know it will all melt in the next couple of days, but it does remind me that the season is not too far away. Hoping my week in 3v will be good this year
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cacciatore wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Cheers conkerpow@gmail.com, great photo.

Indeed, and welcome to sHs conkerpow@gmail.com snowHead

Nice 1st post.

Its usually advisable not to have your email address as a username - avoids it being picked up and spammed Smile

Oops thanks !!, didn't meant to do that! rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here is how Meribel looked this morning!
Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Niiice snowHead Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking at the webcams, it looks like all the lovely snow has aready melted away. However, temperatures are forecast to drop at the start of next week, down to -11 in VT on Tuesday night. Might be a dusting of snow around that time too. Fingers crossed (but not legs obviously, as they're too busy doing a snow dance!) Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, still three weeks before VT opens. Plenty of time yet
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haha... Very true @chrisb, I'm not even travelling out to VT until March so I've definitely no need to worry. With summer over, all my focus turns to skiing and I love the build up to the first big dump. I'm like a kid before Christmas!

As an aside, snowforecast is forecasting 17cm next Mon/Tues in VT...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Handy Turnip, you are just like me then, watching for the first proper VT snow, and then seeing the snow line hopefully getting closer to La Tania for me.
latest report
Nice to know there's someone else, @chrisb! Looks like next Wednesday might see the first decent snowfall of the season - 53cm forecast for VT and 24cm forecast for Courchevel. Although knowing snowforecast that'll all changed by tomorrow!
ski holidays
Heading to les menuires in late December from Kenya. Hopefully will have more snow than our mountains.
ski holidays
Welcome to snow heads @Theluji!! Everything should be looking nice and white by late December - first dump due to Val Thorens next week, and with temperatures dropping this should be the first lot that will stick for the season.
latest report
Snow falling in Val Thorens and due to continue for the next 36 hours....

snow conditions
102 days till the family and I are in Courchevel. Let it snow and don't ski it all off before we get there.
latest report
Only 6 weeks until I'm in Courchevel!

Eek, I'd better start buying some Christmas pressies...
snow conditions
Guys, if I go to Val T in Dec 1st and assuming there is no lucky dump of fresh snow. Will I be able to ski, at least at the top? (glacier?)

Any experience to share?
latest report
48 sleeps till I'm in La Tania snowHead
snow report
Less than 3 weeks until I'm in VT, woohoo!

@ernestbornain, I was up there about 3 years ago learning to ski on something like the 30th November, and although the mountains were very brown and lacking snow (very poor start I was told), they had plenty of pistes prepared. VT have invested heavily in snow-making equipment, so there will be plenty to ski on-piste at least. I wouldn't worry - unless you're chasing extensive offpiste, but early Dec isn't great for that anywhere.

They don't actually offer glacier skiing at all, unless maybe with a guide later in the season, in VT - lots of crevasses I've been told.

Edit: and likely it will be much better than that with plenty of natural snow Smile
Check out this video from opening weekend last year and you'll see plenty of snow!

http://youtube.com/v/22FZQgArGT8

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 4-11-14 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'll be there beginning of December as well. The great thing about VT is that you know that any snow that falls from early November onwards is likely to stay. In response to ernestbornin then early December should be fine.

As other said the chances are there will be some snow between now and then. They have just started the snow conons and will be piling snow up underneath them for the next 3 weeks to snow plough it all across the pistes before the season opens in a couple of weeks.

The only thing you might find early on is that the links to the other valleys aren't operational and that only the 'main' pistes are open.

They tend to open the main pistes in November and gradually extend them through December.
snow report
Snow forecast down to 2000-ish in the next 24 hours, but its still very very early days... don't panic Captain Mainwaring!
ski holidays
@emwmarine, As long as there's plenty by the 20th December Brian! Very Happy
ski holidays
@collym125,

Just keep watching the webcams from now on Colin Very Happy

I'll give you a full report when I get there!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val Thorens looking all white - with another 8cm due during the rest of the day.

snow conditions
Baaaaahhhhhh go on the snow!
snow conditions
Looking good for VT, 20th December and I will be there!
snow conditions
Looks great .I am about to book a four day ski trip in jan staying in Brides and need to make the most of it . Is it wise to get a lift pass for the three valleys or just stick to Meribel ?
I dont know how jointed the valleys are so that we get back to Brides on the last lift . I need a plan for each day but dont know the area well enough to do so , Any help and advice will be greatly
appreciated .
ski holidays
@blockhead, if you are comfortable cruising around on blues then I'd recommend the full 3vs pass. For sure there is enough skiing to keep you busy in the Meribel valley but if you've gone to the effort and expense to ski one of the worlds largest lift linked areas why not make the most of it Very Happy

Shouldn't be too busy for you in Jan, let us know what sort of runs you like and we can give some recommendations or use the search facility, lots of 3vs advise on here......
ski holidays
@blockhead, yes I would say get a 3v pass as well. Being in the middle valley will allow you to go either way each day
latest report
Thank you for the advice I am early intermediate skier the kids (23 and 20) are expert skiers i would say so nothing beyond reds for me . The initial plan being that we arrive midday is to ski Meribel and then the following days to ski the other valleys without getting stuck and missing the last lift down to Brides. Any pointers which must do runs and which lifts to take from Meribel and back .
ski holidays
@blockhead,

I would get daily extensions to the wider 3vs depending on the weather. If the weather is harsh then the links between the vallees are closed.

You might want to spend the first day or so exploring the Meribel valley and then if the weather is reasonable extend for a couple of days to the wider 3vs. You can just go into one of the ski lift offices to extend your passes.
snow report
Good thinking thank you for that
snow report
The snow cannons are on in VT topping up the snow fall. They must be confident that what fell will now stay for opening on 22nd Nov
snow report
chrisb wrote:
The snow cannons are on in VT topping up the snow fall. They must be confident that what fell will now stay for opening on 22nd Nov

They usually switch on about now even if there are warm patches predicted. I'm not an expert, so this is only what I have observed when I have been out there is time of year. They switch them on when it is cold enough for them to work and they pile sodding great big piles of snow underneath each of the snow cannons. Even it it gets warm during the day these big piles stay.

Then a couple of days before the mid november opening they then snowlough the great big piles across all the pistes. I can't remember if it was the year before last, or even the one before that one, but for the first week or so all there was to ski on was the artificially prepared pistes and everything else was brown. Then on 1st week of december was a dump to end all dumps and they didn't need to use the canons again, other than to freshen up the pistes occasionally.
latest report
Some reasonable snowfall over the last couple of days. Temperatures are much colder now, after a very mild autumn so far. Snow line looks to be at around 1900m. More expected above 2000m over the weekend and into next week. Most everyone has switched tyres now for the season
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy