Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
if you carry skies etc with you then car
if you have only one luggage and you will use rent ski from St. Anton the use the train
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@turms, cheers. There will be 2 possibly 3 of us all with skis so I'm guessing car would be easier
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boabski, car quicker
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks folks. Confirmed what I thought. Just over 7 weeks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29 wrote:
@boabski, car quicker

How much quicker? Traveling with 3 other adults from MUC to Lech. Last time we took the train. I think it was a 4 hour trip. Although, I believe it was another 30 minutes or so from Langen by bus to Lech Centrum.

What about tolls etc? How does that work with a rental vehicle?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Toadman, 5 hours and 2 changes by train, plus hassle of taxi from Langen to Lech, 4 hours max by car, cheaper and no tolls. Train is great and you can chill and have a beer etc but it is definitely slower.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:
St anton from Munich - car or train for quickest transfer? Have parking with hotel and arriving Saturday 28th feb leaving the next Wednesday. Guessing roads might be busy on the Saturday but fine on the Wednesday? I'm leaning towards the car for ease. What d'ya think?

Train might be a lot cheaper if you book soon - there are often special deals on the train from Munich to Innsbruck (book on the oebb.at website rather than the Bahn.de site, the special offers don't always show up on the German site) . Train is pretty quick too, I doubt the car would be faster.

A car gives flexibility though...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheaper? I got Deutsche bahn for 100 euro total 2 adult and 1 child round trip. How much is car rental for 7 days?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you rent a car the 10 day Austrian Vignette (toll sticker) is €8.70. Caught without one the fine is €120 or €240 if you are caught with a manipulated sticker.
http://www.asfinag.at/toll/toll-sticker

http://vignette-gratis.at/strafen/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Redwine wrote:
Cheaper? I got Deutsche bahn for 100 euro total 2 adult and 1 child round trip. How much is car rental for 7 days?

You'd probably pay €100 just in fuel + tolls, let alone rental costs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DB, @sah,

Yeah I don't see how it can be cheaper or even close. I think I did a quick look a few months ago during trip planning, and it was off by over 1000 eur. And the traffic during mid-feb break, made choice easy for me.

@turms, curious, why do carrying skis matter? There is no extra charge for skis on train, is there? Or is it just the hassle? I'm caring skis and log gage on train Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Redwine, no extra charge for skis on train.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Redwine wrote:
@DB, @sah,

Yeah I don't see how it can be cheaper or even close. I think I did a quick look a few months ago during trip planning, and it was off by over 1000 eur. And the traffic during mid-feb break, made choice easy for me.

@turms, curious, why do carrying skis matter? There is no extra charge for skis on train, is there? Or is it just the hassle? I'm caring skis and log gage on train Shocked

Carrying skis is a hassle of course, but there's no charge (they even have ski racks near the doors on these trains)... I just had a quick look at the OEBB site, you can still get an adult return ticket for €29 from Munich to St Anton... Sadly (for me) I'm flying to Zurich, so no use to me:-(
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the Arlberg Pass is closed you have to pay tunnel toll.

Train is way more relaxing...

Thete is a special train deal (which icludes lift pass) from
Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you really want to get here quick .......

http://www.privatefly.nl/inspirational-jet-flights/ski-resorts/st-anton.html
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

Do they charge extra for skis though? wink
snow report
They quote Innsbruck to St Anton by helicopter takes 40 mins for £2640. A Taxi takes only approx 65 min.
snow conditions
Can they drop us off in a few snowfields on the way up to the mountain?
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Innsbruck.

Info here ....
http://kombitickets.railtours.at/kombitickets-wintersport/austria/st-anton/st-anton-am-arlberg.html?idreiseart=31

€257 inc 6 day ski pass (6 day ski pass is normally €245)

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

Trains from Munich airport to Innsbruck (with one change at "Munchen Ost") look to be around €45 per Person (one way) however there looks to be a cheaper ticket via another change at Kufstein for €15.90.

(257-245) + (2 X 45) = €102 per Person worse case or €43.80 with a change at Kufstein.
Can't see a rental car plus petrol & tolls being cheaper than that.
snow conditions
Used that combo ski/train thing. Also included taxi at st Anton. I'm going for 3 days skiing, 4 nights so car looks easiest and cheapest.
snow report
I've done that journey many times and it is drfinitely currently cheaper by car right now, the last few times we've travelled on the trains on Saturdays it has been a real PITA travelling by train in Germany, change at Munchen Ost, Kufstein and Rosenheim, plus Innsbruck, lugging all the luggage up the steps into 2nd class old trains. I ended up sat outside the WC just to watch our bags becasue the trains were so busy. Once in Austria on the Railjets its fantastic, but in Germany, unless offpeak its a real pain. We just booked a car for our trip end of January £129 for a VW Golf including winter tyres, £29 CDW to zero insurance and approx £50 fuel, plus a £5 vignette = £213 plus we have the car in resort rather than being on the bus and are round to Zurs for first lift up (got to be worth a few quid). Thats good value in my book £108pp ish return, and with 4 people above its a no-brainer, you can get a Passat Estate for £149..............£60 a person!

Trains coiming round the north west via Bregenz/ Bludenz and coming into Austria from the west are great and quet but from east, ie Innsbruck side a real PITA to get to Innsbruck, cars and fuel are cheap right now.
ski holidays
^^Yup diesel is super cheap right now! A fair amount of motorway from Innsbruck is restricted to 100km/h atm though.
latest report
@Markymark29, there are direct trains every hour from Munich to Innsbruck (EC and IC), if you're travelling from the airport there will be a change at Munich Ost, but I've never changed at other places, far too much effort Happy

Those car hire rates look good though, where did you book those? We got a reasonable deal for a trip in March flying in to Zurich (7th to 15th), but not as good as yours, I think we're paying just over £160 for a Polo (there's only 2 of us), it worked out about the same as the train. Arlberg Express was slightly cheaper, but since we don't know where we'll ski yet we went for car hire. Thinking Montafon, Warth or maybe Stuben.

First tracks in Zurs is indeed worth a few quid, this factored in to my calculations too:-)
latest report
@sah, Enterprise via Holiday Autos
latest report
carhire3000 good too. Used them a couple of years ago at Munich and were excellent (Avis)
snow conditions
sah wrote:
Redwine wrote:
@DB, @sah,

Carrying skis is a hassle of course, but there's no charge (they even have ski racks near the doors on these trains)... I just had a quick look at the OEBB site, you can still get an adult return ticket for €29 from Munich to St Anton... Sadly (for me) I'm flying to Zurich, so no use to me:-(

Thanks for the tip on booking on the OEBB site. Didn't think to look there. Was looking like €120 return on the Deutsche Bahn website a few days ago.

Last trip to Lech end of Feb. a few years back, we sat with a couple at dinner who had traveled from Friedrichshafen on a Saturday. It took them 8 hrs by car due to very heavy traffic. That's kind of put us off to the whole car thing. Plus the train ride was not all that bad. The bus ride from Langen was crowded though. Especially with everyone trying to stuff skis and suitcases on.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
stanton wrote:
Innsbruck.

Info here ....
http://kombitickets.railtours.at/kombitickets-wintersport/austria/st-anton/st-anton-am-arlberg.html?idreiseart=31

€257 inc 6 day ski pass (6 day ski pass is normally €245)

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

Trains from Munich airport to Innsbruck (with one change at "Munchen Ost") look to be around €45 per Person (one way) however there looks to be a cheaper ticket via another change at Kufstein for €15.90.

@DB Does that kombiticket deal work for Lech too? That would be way cheaper than what I'm looking at right now?
snow conditions
Toadman wrote:

@DB Does that kombiticket deal work for Lech too? That would be way cheaper than what I'm looking at right now?

The whole Region is included
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
Toadman wrote:

Thanks. Checking out options now.
snow report
Redwine wrote:
Can they drop us off in a few snowfields on the way up to the mountain?

Not possible in The "Tirol" side of The Arlberg ( No Heliskiing allowed). Voralberg (Lech Zurs) probably can be arranged wink

sah wrote:
stanton wrote:

Do they charge extra for skis though? wink

These folks store their gear at ski homes,chalets Hotels or just rent Top end Demo Skis Very Happy
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:
stanton wrote:
Toadman wrote:

Thanks. Checking out options now.

Link for Lech. 6 day Kombi ticket = €267
http://kombitickets.railtours.at/kombitickets-wintersport/austria/lech-zuers/lech-zuers-am-arlberg.html
ski holidays
Thanks for the links and info for trains, etc. Very helpful. Doing some number crunching to see what makes most sense.

So, jetz wieder zurück um zu das Wetter!

I'm not liking those temperature fluctuations they are forecating for the next few days in the Arlberg. Although Sunday it does appear that the cold and precip might just time it right. At this point Mother Nature is going to do what she wants, and we are all just going to have to wait and see what she decides to do this weekend. I'm going to bake her some cookies.

Heck it's freezing cold every where in the USA except the West Coast! Mad
ski holidays
Freezing my @ss off here on the east coast. Makes riding the bike to work a hazard, but gotta get the legs there for St Anton!!!

dare we speculate????

http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/
ski holidays
Snow on yhe Way

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/austria/weather-ulmer-h%C3%BCtte
ski holidays
@stanton, is that a proper dump???

control excitement.
latest report
stanton wrote:
Snow on yhe Way

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/austria/weather-ulmer-h%C3%BCtte

I see moderately high winds for Friday and Saturday. And looks like a not so great freezing level for Saturday. That will be the interesting scenario to watch out for going into Sunday. And the precip forecasted on Saturday appears to fall primarily as rain as the temps start to slowly cool going into Sunday, then things could be pretty sweet, if Sunday delivers into Monday, and possibly lingering snow showers into Tuesday?

I'm still baking mother nature some cookies on Friday night though. You think she likes nuts in her chocolate chip cookies? Razz
ski holidays
I'll be there in 3 weeks!!! Finger crossed for this snow event
snow report
Overcast & Warm Today +2C on Galzig. Calm before the Storm
snow report
@stanton, still looking good for a respectable weekend?

-18c in boston, and just learned that F to C parity is reached at -40F. useless information for the day.
ski holidays
@Redwine,

Rain & Snow Starts tomorrow evening

The Freeze level will fluctuate between 1500M & 2000M Temp 0 +5C. Sunday looks the most promissing Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy