Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Balance Boards - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Who's tried exercising with a balance board? Been told they are good for improving snowboarding balance, general coordination, leg strength and core strength. However, for what is essentially a plank of wood and a roller they do seem rather expensive. Worth it? Here's an example...https://www.indoboard.com
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. There are plenty of other stability training products out there which don't set you back $180 on Amazon. Or just make your own.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
180 in any units is way too much.

I used a balance board (which I still have somewhere) to get my ankle rehabilitated after breaking it some years ago. You can cobble something up I guess, or many gyms have them. They're quite pleasant aesthetically so I like mine, but I don't intend to use it until I break another ankle. I think they're about £30 on amazon uk, probably cheaper in the US like everything else.

What was the question again? Oh, I don't think they're particularly useful for balance training; it's a knack like anything else. You could try a slackline or a unicycle too. I'm a hard booter, so "balance" in that sense isn't really a challenge for me - there's generally plenty of stability. So that's broadly "no", but they're nice toys.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shocked I clicked the link and some of them cost $450, and then you might want to buy the dvd to show you how to stand on a plank. There must be some gullible people out there. I made my own, cost £0.00 and a sense of satisfaction thrown in for free. Used it once and got bored. Mountain biking is much more fun and does a lot of similar jobs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got one of those half bosu ball things that does the same sort of job. It's an oval shape so you can assume a far wider stance similar to how you ride rather than the circular ones. Have to say, it's really good for keeping up the core strength and improved balance you gain after a couple of days riding, and you can wibble around in front of the telly as well instead of getting cold and wet on a bike outside.

If you're an indoorsy person rather than an outdoor one away from the snow it's a good way of replicating the weight transfer and balancing you do on a board which otherwise IME is quite tricky. It adds a more tricky dimension to standard exercises like squats and some yoga balancing poses too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
good fun, but not really excercise....

I'd say get a skatedeck and find a bowl somewhere, much closer to snowboarding and carving around a bowl is much more fun, better excercise and does really keep your eye in for snowboarding Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Call me dave,
Did the bosu thing help your lower leg flexion and range of motion at the ankle.... you know like help stretch out the lower legs to help boarding also it helps foot pain ?
I remember you mentioned this in another post I don't know what a bosu ball is but will look it up and perhaps look at getting something.
Cycling was my first choice but the theft and rider risk isn't adding up .

Asking since you seem to have a understanding of lack of flexion and its importance to snowboard ski etc.

The ultimate was watching Linsey vonn balancing on the gym ball doing one legged squats I was impressed with that Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes I have used it (not regularly enough), and more so after I snapped a couple of ankle ligaments in Val d'Isere in December. I was back on the mountain by March, and I think it does help. I would not pay as much as 180 though!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tirol 164, yes, it did. My physio recommended me getting a balance board to lengthen the calves/achilles and just mess about on, so I got one of these - http://www.physiosupplies.com/66fit-air-step-oval-balance-dome-dvd.html - which has definitely helped. I think it's easier to replicate the posture and pose of being on a board than with just a simple backwards and forwards small tea-tray affair. Haven't found it improved my particular foot pain or anything though (ball of foot, lead leg), even if it does encourage you to keep your weight balanced and off your back or front foot.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My brother uses one and says it really does help
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use one at the gym, squats with relative low (10kg per hand) weights.

A very effective way to teach your feet and ankles exactly how you balance and make it habitual/invoke muscle memory. I reckon it helps, if only because it hardens one to looking like a complete pr*ck in public.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Strax, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where do you point out the Spam above on here ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tirol 164, there's a spam thread in the techie suggestions forum. I've reported the post above yours.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tirol 164, here it is https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91365
snow report
I like mine, it's fun. Made it myself from a sheet of ply. Roller is a foam roller.
latest report
I use a BOSU ...great exercise tool for balance

http://youtube.com/v/lc8DBjc95SA
snow conditions
Great core exercise with squats into a tuck position with weights. You can make it easier (on pile carpet) or harder (on wooden floor). I wouldn’t say it helps balance but it throws balance and proprioception into the mix when combining with “non-roller” floor exercises.
snow conditions
yes definitely worth getting one. watch tv, ironing whatever while standing on them, knees bent etc.

ive tried a few over the years, center ball good for core, but if you want to control balance and center of balance under control (weight ratios), use one like this))

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balance-Fitness-Training-Coordination-Exercises/dp/B08CXSV71S/ref=sr_1_10?crid=S9ZC0VQHNWBL&keywords=balance+board&qid=1665480913&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjUzIiwicXNhIjoiNS42MCIsInFzcCI6IjUuMjIifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=balance+board%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-10&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
anything balance related will help. I do most of my weights at a low weight but on a Bosu ball. for an old fat bloke I've still got pretty good balance so it works for me!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy