Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

B is for BUSC

Poster: A snowHead
Other wise known as the British Universitys Snowsports Council.

Quote:
BUSC exists to promote participation and competition in skiing and snowboarding at all levels for students in the UK. It is an ever-growing, non-profit making organisation established since 1990. The money it earns is re-invested into supporting individual students, snowsports clubs and charities.
stolen from the busc website

In short they are the orginisers of the two best university ski racing events in the season, one on plastic the other on snow. As well as a brilliant trip in the easter holls for 2000 students (id avoid les deux alps for the first week of april if your after a quiet week....) Oh and they allso know how to organise some dam good apres action!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know if they have changed their constitution but the money it earns used to be invested in the bank account of the committee...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BUSC originally formed as they got kicked out of BUSA!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anybody remember EWUSC, from before BUSC?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to a few of their events while I was at university (Exeter). Always had a blast but I'll never forget the coach home from Edinburgh to Exeter after a particularly heavy Hill End BUSC weekend...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@joffy69, I think BUSF preceded BUSC - anyone remember "borrowing" the dance floor (literally we walked out with the entire dance floor) from the Coylumbridge hotel (Aviemore)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was it not BUDS up in Scotland - DS being for Dry Slope? At least in my time it was BUDS and BUSC being the two "competitions"/events - I think BUDS lives on and BUSC collapsed in mid 2010s
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, definitely EWUSC. The last trip they did was my second year. BUSC started my third year.
It's jogged my memory EWUSC was a break-away organisation to have racing in the Alps rather than Scotland, so scottish unis weren't invited. In my third year Phil Martin invited all the scottish unis. Thus BUSC
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@joffy69, I did two EWUSC trips.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The first time I ever skied in Alps was with BUSC in 1997. Happy memories of that trip : a week in Les Arcs for £350. As a student there was no way I could have afforded to ski in France otherwise.

I think the whole thing eventually become too big and unwieldy. 2000 Brit students taking over a single resort for a week long p@ss-up was always going to end in disaster. Only a small % of those attending were there to race.

The wiki below makes for some interesting reading (... basically the greedy / useless tour op got hacked off dealing with an ever changing committee of student wasters and it all collapsed).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Universities_Snowsports_Council
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Haggis_Trap, I think I was there?! Confused

I definitely did La Plagne '96 and Les Arcs '95. Moderate success each year as Captain of the Mighty St Andrews Men's B Team. Never won anything which couldn't be drunk on the night but that seemed to suit us well enough.

Highlights included:
- Last orders being rung with tear gas, rather than the traditional bell, because students gotta party!
- Winning the boat race two years running AND fielding a girl in the team, unlike the rugby lads we beat in the final.
- Being moderately terrified by the GS course in Les Arcs which was properly iced on account of it being a reserve downhill course.....
- Trying to bribe Loughborough Uni's top (French) prospect to defect by hoovering his balcony by lowering the vacuum down from our balcony. Didn't work.....
- Suspicious power cut during dinner on the mountain night. Students from all the Scottish uni's + Oxbridge.... Cue lot's of flying cheese and spuds Toofy Grin
- French folk finding it quaint that 200 students were out for a skiing competition, then turning a bit white when they discovered 1800 more were coming on Saturday and they were here for another week.
- The Altiport above Arc 1800 selling PINTS of Vin Chaud for 10 francs.
- Having a fantastic party on the slopes and getting some quite competitive racing in as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^@ Klamm_Franzer : i remember smoking weed at a fondue party at 2000m.
Probably lobbed at a few tatties at the Oxbridge crowd.
Pissed-up students (... most of whom couldn't ski even when sober) had to ski back to Les Arcs in the dark using flaming lanterns.
The sobriety test was being able to walk unaided past a french pisteur at the door.

Apparently BUSC was banned from Tignes a few years previously after two apartments got knocked into one and an ambulance hijacked Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't find the article anymore but it was either the 2001 or the 2008 BUSC in Saalbach where something ( a building) got burned down by the students, the Mayor at the time banned BUSC from coming back and it wasn't until 2011-12 they managed to negotiate a way to get back - think the previous mayor had changed / passed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My sister was in that infamous block and it was a pizza box left on a cooker hot plate. I had become a tax paying pillar of society by that point, so nothing to do with me Guv.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was talking 1983-1987 Embarassed BUSF couldn't afford the Alps!
snow report
This has now stirred distant memories. As a fresh faced fresher, I popped round to the flat of the ski club president and asked to sign up. "Erm, he's not in; he's been arrested for armed robbery!". And he had!

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-aberdeen-and-aberdeenshire/20131128/282973922823565
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12543226.man-admits-plotting-to-snatch-wages/
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I was talking 1983-1987 Embarassed BUSF couldn't afford the Alps!

BUSC in Aviemore would be epic.

I organised the Scottish trips for ed uni for x3 years
Some funny trips / good skiing!
snow report
As I understand it EWUSC was started because BUSF had an eligibility qualification (something like being in the top 200 racers in your age group) that meant that only scots ever got to compete. Also that the racing HAD to be done in the UK (ie scotland). The English and Welsh went bug*** that lets go and race in France ourselves.
ski holidays
Didn't realise there was a profanity filter Very Happy
snow report
Seems to be one of the requirements of those trips was to banned from the resort for a period. We were banned from Tignes and Les Arcs, but they always eventually relented.
snow conditions
joffy69 wrote:
Anybody remember EWUSC, from before BUSC?

Is this a new record for a bumped thread - a month short of 16 years? Shocked
ski holidays
Serve Chevalier 1987 was that Kings/EWUSC?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy