Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks DJL, if people are skiing it does it have decent moguls yet? I can understand why it was closed before New Year, but since the early January snow I don't understand why they've kept it closed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
doddsie wrote:
Thanks DJL, if people are skiing it does it have decent moguls yet? I can understand why it was closed before New Year, but since the early January snow I don't understand why they've kept it closed.

The bottom bit above Plaine Dranse looked well mogulled. I didn't pay much attention to the top part. I was looking at the lemmings heading for the cliff!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like some good snow is on the way in the region from Monday!! (Appreciate that forecasts can change!)

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/14-days/morzine_france_2991630
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was in PDS over the weekend. I thought the snow was excellent on-piste in Les Gets in particular. The sunny Swiss slopes, especially around Morgins and towards Torgon are suffering from lack of snow (some pistes closed and muddy).

Off-piste was poor everywhere easily accessible, didn't really bother.

Avoriaz was extremely busy on Sunday, far busier than the other areas. All the pistes had bumps and ridges (and skiers) all over them by mid-afternoon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musehead wrote:
I was in PDS over the weekend. I thought the snow was excellent on-piste in Les Gets in particular. The sunny Swiss slopes, especially around Morgins and towards Torgon are suffering from lack of snow (some pistes closed and muddy).

Off-piste was poor everywhere easily accessible, didn't really bother.

Avoriaz was extremely busy on Sunday, far busier than the other areas. All the pistes had bumps and ridges (and skiers) all over them by mid-afternoon.

Lets hope for some snow over the next week or so then! Though the forecast above has already changed and now not as much snow predicted.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The forecast appears to be getting better!!

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/14-days/morzine_france_2991630
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hope not a dumb question (will doubtless be put straight if it is), but arriving in Avoriaz by hire car tomorrow evening, and heading back down the hill the following Saturday late afternoon after that day’s skiing.

Given the forecast is all fine tomorrow, but with potential for snow at leaving time, do I need to hire snow chains, just in case, for the run back *down* the hill, or will winter tyres on the Swiss hire car suffice? I assume there’ll be a slow moving procession if it’s at all sketchy (possibly with me at the front …)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pejoli, you will be ok with winter tyres. It's changeover day , the roads will be kept open to get the punters in and out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for confirming - didn’t want to be *that* guy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Morning all, so a lovely first day in Avoriaz yesterday, with wall to wall sunshine, and snow on piste in pretty decent condition, all things considered. Stayed mainly on blues and a couple of easy reds to get our legs back, after three years away.

This morning, a different story and we’re in the clouds, though with the snow still promising later. We only really explored the high parts of the Avoriaz secteur yesterday, so any advice on decent runs/areas for a low-viz day ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pejoli, I would suggest having some fun in the pretty tree runs towards Lindarets. Plus the Stash!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowfraise wrote:
@Pejoli, I would suggest having some fun in the pretty tree runs towards Lindarets. Plus the Stash!

Or laps of Crot from the Prodains Express arrival
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just want to confirm re lift passes.

We're in Morzine for a long weekend in March. Me + girlfriend plus mate + his girlfriend.

Mates girlfriend has never skied before, but is taking lessons on a dry slope ahead of the trip. She might not ski every day, but she wants to give it a try.

Does a Morzine only pass include the Super Morzine lift and slopes up around there, or is that only on the Avoriaz/ PDS pass?

Trying to think what her best option is, up in and around Avoriaz, or over on the Pleney.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJL wrote:
snowfraise wrote:

Or laps of Crot from the Prodains Express arrival

Thanks both - morning spent on the Lindarets side lapping the prolays lift was a good shout, viz coming back about half way down the runs. Came in for lunch with jackets encrusted with ice from the hail - now a 1.30 lesson in the (very) light snow to look forward to.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swskier wrote:
Just want to confirm re lift passes.

We're in Morzine for a long weekend in March. Me + girlfriend plus mate + his girlfriend.

Mates girlfriend has never skied before, but is taking lessons on a dry slope ahead of the trip. She might not ski every day, but she wants to give it a try.

Does a Morzine only pass include the Super Morzine lift and slopes up around there, or is that only on the Avoriaz/ PDS pass?

Trying to think what her best option is, up in and around Avoriaz, or over on the Pleney.

I'm heading to Morzine for a week in March. My understanding is that the Super Morzine lift is covered by the Avoriaz/PDS pass only and the Morzine/Les Gets pass covers the Pleney lifts on the opposite side of the valley. For the extra €50 for a weeks pass, I plan to buy the PDS which will cover both sides of the valley.

Couldn't comment on which side would be best for your beginner friend.
ski holidays
@Roscoe, my girlfriend and I will be getting the PDS pass, as we're there a day earlier so will do a full loop.

Expecting then to have a couple of days with the friends that are a bit quieter, and no doubt i'll be helping the friends girlfriend with stop informal teaching. I'm tempted to say for her to get the Avoriaz pass, at least then we can all lunch in Avoriaz together, and if she decides to stop skiing she has Aquariaz there.

The runs from Avoriaz down to the Super M lift are quite nice as a beginner, and pretty quiet except end of the day. Depending on how she does, she might be able to head down to Prodains as well, which would be a real long run for her as a beginner, she also has the runs in and around Avoriaz. Being mid/late March, there might be better snow up in Avoriaz than the Pleney being that bit higher.
snow report
She could get some lessons at Lindarets ESF school to get some confidence around that area - challenging runs for beginners but instructor would guide her. Means you could also lunch in Lindarets goat village one day, and give her the feeling of a little tour if you get the lift at Ardent at start of day and finish the day at Super Morzine.
On Avoriaz pass.
snow report
Anyone out in the PDS area who can confirm the snow fall yesterday/overnight? And also the forecasted snow for today/tomorrow?
ski holidays
8.5 cm in Chatel yesterday. About the same forecast for both today and tomorrow.
snow report
Matt1959 wrote:
8.5 cm in Chatel yesterday. About the same forecast for both today and tomorrow.

Is that both the town and mountain? Can I assume a similar covering in Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets?
snow report
That’s at town level. Dunno about further up or further afield.
ski holidays
@Matt1959, Thanks. Hopefully that continues today and also was the same for the whole area.
snow conditions
Same in Morzine. About 8-10cm's
latest report
zzz wrote:
Great stuff!! Hopefully continues today and overnight!
snow conditions
A cheeky “extra” 3 days in PDS area - choice of where to go ?

We have next week in Morzine (Sunday to Sunday with PDS pass) but driving down early overnight this Thursday and so we have this Friday/Sat/Sunday free to go wherever. Staying in Abondance so we got choice of Abondance itself, La Chapelle or Chatel,area perhaps a day in each? Anyone have opinions? Oh yes, should add we are snowboarders (sorry) so usual stereotypes apply – side hits, inability to stay on piste, don’t need loads of terrain. Very open to advice given the likely snow conditions.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:

Reckon about 10 - 15cms or so in Avoriaz - certainly enough to refresh the pistes nicely, and to play off the sides. Very lightly snowing right now.
ski holidays
ninthtoe wrote:
A cheeky “extra” 3 days in PDS area - choice of where to go ?

We have next week in Morzine (Sunday to Sunday with PDS pass) but driving down early overnight this Thursday and so we have this Friday/Sat/Sunday free to go wherever. Staying in Abondance so we got choice of Abondance itself, La Chapelle or Chatel,area perhaps a day in each? Anyone have opinions? Oh yes, should add we are snowboarders (sorry) so usual stereotypes apply – side hits, inability to stay on piste, don’t need loads of terrain. Very open to advice given the likely snow conditions.

I reckon you could try the following that has plenty of terrain to fill your boots.

DAY 1: La Chapelle (Panthiaz side) & Torgon
Day 2: Super Chatel & Linga (park at Lac Vonnes Chatel)
Day 3: Chatel Pre La Joux side & Linderets (requires PDS pass)

Should be great snow after this weeks top up. We were there last weekend and found Super Châtel, Linga and the Pre La Joux sides to have a excellent base after 3 weeks of wall-to-wall sunshine.
ski holidays
Thanks so much, very helpful
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are staying in Morzine near the tourist office and I cannot work out the best way to get up the mountain and head out of Les Lindarets via Chaux Fleune. Is it best way to catch the bus to Les Prodains, hike across town to Super Morzine or take the car to Ardent. (I think the bus to Ardent is only every 30 minutes and you have to change). Any thoughts appreciated.
latest report

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 1-02-22 19:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ardent means one gondola, prodains one gondola plus a chair and ski into Lindarets. S-M much faff. I'd say Ardent
ski holidays
You didn’t have to change last time I did it but outside of that defo ardent is quickest way to start heading off towards chatel side.
latest report
@ninthtoe, if you head over to torgon from chapelle, the return is two drag lifts, the first one a bit long and the second a bit steep. If you not happy with that then linga or pre la joux is your best bet, lots of chairs.
latest report
John617 wrote:
We are staying in Morzine near the tourist office and I cannot work out the best way to get up the mountain and head out of Les Lindarets via Chaux Fleune. Is it best way to catch the bus to Les Prodains, hike across town to Super Morzine or take the car to Ardent. (I think the bus to Ardent is only every 30 minutes and you have to change). Any thoughts appreciated.

Hike across to SM and catch the bus to Ardent at the other side of the footbridge - another option with one bus. Flat walk from Tourist Office.
snow report
If best means fastest, I doubt there's 10 mins between any of the options, depending on the wait for the bus, lift Qs etc. Personally I quite enjoy a bimble up through S-M, clears the head before the real fun starts, and better to be on the hill than stuck in the car or bus. snowHead
snow conditions
Been a while since I’ve been woken up by avi blasting, at least 5 thumps so far. Still snowing
latest report
About 10cm heavy snow overnight at 1300m

snow report
It’s been doing the absolute minimum that could be regarded as snowing here since yesterday evening, and accumulation in the village doesn’t look more than a few cm - but we’re hearing the occasional blast too. Viz is only a couple of hundred metres, and doubt will improve looking at the meteo.
snow report
shep wrote:
If best means fastest, I doubt there's 10 mins between any of the options, depending on the wait for the bus, lift Qs etc. Personally I quite enjoy a bimble up through S-M, clears the head before the real fun starts, and better to be on the hill than stuck in the car or bus. snowHead

Seconded. I'd much rather pootle down a green track on my skis, than sit in a hot sweaty bus.
snow report
@polo, where's the heavy snow?

much the same in Chamonix, won't be starting the snow blower this week Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy