Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

****Donate ski kit to a Pakistani ski school struggling against the odds?*****

Poster: A snowHead
Thornyhill wrote:
Bode Swiller, These people are nailing shoes to planks. I'm not certain that uplift is a concern?

No planks and nailing going on here (from 2 years ago). The place clearly needs a bloody lift though:

http://youtube.com/v/ziptifc6xto

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-03-13 1:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, thanks, politics not my forte! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller wrote:
Thornyhill, that youtube clip on page one seems to suggest otherwise.

My starting point is to ask for a chairlift and hope to get a T bar, or ask for a T bar and hope to get a rope tow, but if you just ask for a rope tow you probably get told to walk.

You Tube.... didn't see that - maybe the nailed on shoes isn't accurate?

Sales technique - correct theory, wrong starting point. What if you ask for a chairlift and get one. You need to start with asking for the best lift that exists. They will more than likely say no, but if you don't ask.........
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thornyhill, I think you might be getting the shoes on planks thing from the Afghan skiing thread? Puzzled

EDIT: forget that, just looked back at the OP link, it says something along the lines of "many of his students use homemade skis with shoes nailed on"

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 8-03-13 1:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lilywhite, or he's hired skis in Sauze D'Oulx
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That purple ski gear - add go-pro.....tellietubby?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'm a bit cynical when it comes to politicians, but you have a good point. Transport to the resort from the airport requires reliable local contacts.

local contacts are needed for a lot more than that. The freight will have to be cleared through customs at the airport for a start and it will probably stop right there unless the way has been cleared. That's a very sensitive part of the world (hard to imagine a more sensitive one). Without a strong local champion who supports the idea you have little or no chance of getting the equipment to the right people, even if money was no object. Strong local champion preferably needs to be persuaded that it's such a good idea it will increase his standing locally to take all the credit for it. That would also be much safer for the end recipients too (i.e. safer than a very explicit shipment from the degenerate West).

Getting your hands on the hardware is probably the easiest part of the job.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

That purple ski gear - add go-pro.....tellietubby?

You don't need a purple suit to look like a telly tubby with a Go-Pro sprouting out of your helmet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:

local contacts are needed for a lot more than that. The freight will have to be cleared through customs at the airport for a start and it will probably stop right there unless the way has been cleared. That's a very sensitive part of the world (hard to imagine a more sensitive one). Without a strong local champion who supports the idea you have little or no chance of getting the equipment to the right people, even if money was no object. Strong local champion preferably needs to be persuaded that it's such a good idea it will increase his standing locally to take all the credit for it. That would also be much safer for the end recipients too (i.e. safer than a very explicit shipment from the degenerate West).

Some very good points there pam w.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a contact at the Islamabad High Commission. I'll make some enquiries.

I've dropped her an email - there might be some mileage in it for HMG from a PR perspective (her area) as well as providing practical advice. She should pick the email up on Monday
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALQ, bring it on! I think one of the older male sH should talk to PIA but deffo happy to go bug snowflex Very Happy they do the stuff at Halifax which is my 'local' slope too (3 min drive away)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx, unless things have changed since my day (which is more than likely....) the Head of Mission will have some funds to be used at their own discretion for small development projects. They can do some daft things without having to consult the aid people. wink I recall one High Commissioner who presented a rowing machine (Concept 2 sort of thing) to a youth project on small Pacific island where nobody lived more than a hundred metres or so from the lagoon or the ocean and the locals made beautiful outrigger canoes and regularly paddled and sailed them miles out to sea in search of fish. Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some really good ideas and enthusiasm on here.

As someone who works in development/humanitarian relief as a day job my main concern would be to make sure the implications of this kind act are throught through, and that we don't cause harm by mistake. For example, I know of a project which imported a load of mosquito nets to an area, and put the local mosquito net factory out of business and lots of people out of work. Not that I'm saying there is a ski factory there, but are there tailors and carpenters making a living out of making the items people are using? Hard to answer this without a local contact.

I've worked a fair amount in Islamabad and found the people there to be some of the most inspiring and welcoming I have worked with. The (educated, middle-class, urban) women I have met are far from being oppressed. Some are quite feisty, and although most dress modesty less than half cover their heads.

I'm not sure about British NGOs in the Swat valley, but even if there are any I doubt there are any British staff present there. The security situation just doesn't allow it.

I'm happy to help if I can, although I'd rather stay officially anonomous. I hope to work there again, so need to be wary of my security and ability to get a visa.

I do have a pair of skis and some old clothing hanging aroun if they are any use.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 8-03-13 15:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm not sure about British NGOs in the Swat valley, but even if there are any I doubt there are any British staff present there. The security situation just doesn't allow it.

indeed, but there might be some working through local partners, who could be invaluable. These projects are much more complex than people realise and janeed's experience would be invaluable. My experience is on the "official aid" side of things though I've seen enough ropey projects to know about some of the pitfalls. Proceeding without adequate local knowledge and understanding and/or trying to circumvent local power structures is the cause of many of them! Even non-governmental organisations can only operate with official government approval - and in complex political situations this isn't straightforward. Someone said they were cynical about politicians - well, with good cause. But that doesn't mean it makes sense to try to circumvent them. More than one NGO has been thrown out of pakistan (and many other countries) for treading on toes in various ways. Without local support, development projects are doomed to failure. With local support they can sometimes succeed. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wise (and encouraging) words pam w,
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
holidayloverxx, unless things have changed since my day (which is more than likely....) the Head of Mission will have some funds to be used at their own discretion for small development projects. They can do some daft things without having to consult the aid people. wink I recall one High Commissioner who presented a rowing machine (Concept 2 sort of thing) to a youth project on small Pacific island where nobody lived more than a hundred metres or so from the lagoon or the ocean and the locals made beautiful outrigger canoes and regularly paddled and sailed them miles out to sea in search of fish. Laughing

Things haven't changed so much; I'll report back when my friend picks up the email. (funny story if a bit tragic!)
ski holidays
I have heard back from Matee in Pakistan, who has basically said thanks, he'll be back in touch, so we know little yet about what he needs.

I don't want to dampen enthusiasm, and I certainly don't want to stop anyone from doing anything, but can I suggest that we all hold fire on any action until we know first what is needed, and then what we have to collect or send, from where to wherever?

If there are people that are prepared to help, I am happy to act for the moment as a coordinator, please just send an email to skiforpeace @ gmail.com

Whether that is phoning a friend, donating gear, prepping skis, whatever.

Mods - any chance of putting this message in bold at teh top of the thread?
ski holidays
I have just been given a whole bunch of older rental skis to recycle, they are actually in good nick, just 10 or so years old - I can probably get more come end of season.
snow conditions
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
ALQ, bring it on! I think one of the older male sH should talk to PIA but deffo happy to go bug snowflex Very Happy they do the stuff at Halifax which is my 'local' slope too (3 min drive away)

Very Happy

Hmmm...why do I get the feeling that, somehow, you are going to get hold of a fully operational T-bar lift system???
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I can't see that anyone has touched on this yet, but the British Forces fly out to SWAT regularly. I would be pretty sure that if supplies could be got to their transport bases they could deliver to a local contact. It would make good PR for them as well has helping get the Taliban to focus on something else.
ski holidays
OK, Thunderbirds appear to be GO

I will get final confirmation at the end of the week, but apparently we have potential help formally from the Pakistani High Commission, I'll let everyone know what shape that help will take as soon as I know.
ski holidays
Ham, British High Commission still looking into it, but I think would urge ultra caution,. Ham, can you send me an email with the details of the formal support please? we'll need to keep HMG side informed I think
latest report
ALQ, I wouldn't inflict a t-bar on the poor blighters Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
OK, begging eMail sent to all the ski related people in Slide, the UK tradeshow. Anyone know what the Euro trade show is?
ski holidays
No response here from Sport Relief, I'll give them another go when I have more time later this week.
snow conditions
Ham, http://www.ispo.com/munich/en/All-Sports/Home - mainly the manufacturers.
ski holidays
Sport relief are apparently only interested in projects in the UK and Africa.
snow conditions
Here is what I have so far, 29 pairs of planks in serviced/serviceable condition

And 16 pairs of rental boots

Yes they are nasty but they are complete and functioning.

I'm going to try and double this by the winters end and find/blag/acquire some poles.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris, wow, that's fantastic!
snow conditions
Quote:

we'll need to keep HMG side informed I think

+1. This is essential. Need to create a direct link between the British Mission (who will then open the lines of communications with the GOP) as well as the Pakistani High Commission here. The diplomatic/political aspects of this project are much the most problematical.

Idris, well done, that looks terrific! snowHead
snow conditions
pam w, I am in private corresspondence with Ham and the BHC in Islamabad
snow report
holidayloverxx, great. Hope it can all work out.
snow report
Idris, Don't know how you did it, but FANTASTIC job !!
latest report
Abso-bloody-lutely fantastic, Idris you deserve a medal.

Also, the Beeb are maintaining an interest, which will be very powerful, so I will be keeping all news channelling through them.
ski holidays
Update:

First, very positive response from the Pakistani High Commission which will be very useful. There's been a level of interest in several places around the world to the story, and it is beginning to sound as if we will be part of something quite impressive. Assuming that all the other parties are happy with the idea I will be acting as coordinator for something I see very much as a team effort.

I will be setting up a website so if anyone is out there with l33t web 5kilz interested in helping, that would be a great. Don't want to make it a big deal at all, no design needed but I think it would be good just to integrate public social networking tools (like farcebook) maybe a wiki, into a semi private environment if that's possible and easy.

More info as it occurs
latest report
Well done to all and keep up the good work. Willing to help/support in some way when the opportunity arises. Till then I'll leave it to the experts snowHead
snow conditions
Ham wrote:
There's been a level of interest in several places around the world to the story, and it is beginning to sound as if we will be part of something quite impressive.

WOW...that's so cool!!
For some reason,I thought snowHead were alone in this.
Do tell who else is involved (SCGB, TGR, Sn*wv*le??)
snow report
No, nobody else in the UK AFAIK, but Canada, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden.......

snowHead
snow conditions
To all those in a position to provide practical help here, well done the lot of you. I still can't think how I can help, but if moral support is any use you have as much as I can muster.
ski holidays
Megamum, every time I go to my local car boot sales I see old planks and rear entry boots dirt cheap. Keep your eyes open
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy