Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First experience of GoPro editing

Poster: A snowHead
I have just finished editing my first video shot on my new GoPro - let me know what you think! What software do you use for editing your vids? Hope you enjoy!

http://youtube.com/v/wfrM5dr1frw
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
like it. good job. Is that a hd2 with a blurfix?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks really great
What program did you use to edit?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is just a standard HD2 with all the normal mounts etc, the only mount I bought was the handlebar mount so that I could mount it to my pole. I made the chest mount from the vented helmet mount and my rucksack straps. I did all the editing using iMovie, it was the first time I had used it and just watched YouTube guides on how to do it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice, liked the snow being sprayed at the camera & 5:30 error trying to go under the barrier
Editing can take soo long, isn't easy giving everyone even footage & keeping it good to watch.

Just in the middle of editing a vid from my trip last week.
Windows user so no iMovie, just use videopad as its simple

Here's my gopro 3 video from my Xmas trip

http://youtube.com/v/B2dngpACc8c

Here's my airbag jumps vid from last week

http://youtube.com/v/OMtcfKZeWWg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Careful it gets addictive. But also much quicker to do. I really enjoy putting short videos together its very satisfying to see the end result. I'm currently fiddling about with motion graphics for some super short same day edits I hope to do in the future. It really appeals to my creative and techy-nerd sides.

This was the first thing I did:
Skálafell Feb 2012 from Charles Palmer
http://vimeo.com/37949047

And the latest:
Breezy Skiizy from Charles Palmer
http://vimeo.com/57796835

There is loads more work and subtle changes in the second video but it only took me an evening whilst the first took about three.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skills

I'm looking forward to using my new LIC Ego camera in March... will be happy if I get something half as good as those.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here's my first go (from a ContourRoam2)

Tignes 2013 from Jason Williams
https://vimeo.com/58322440
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All look great, I can see it will be very addictive!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Finestgreen, how did you mount the cam on your ski? I love that shot.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
finestgreen, That AJ dude looks a bit mental wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smithy05 wrote:
Finestgreen, how did you mount the cam on your ski? I love that shot.

Just another standard sticky mount thing, same as the helmet
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok did you have any experience of it falling off? I have heard the gopro mounts sometimes fail with a combination of the cold weather and flex in the ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They usually fail because the ski surface isnt completely flat or the mount hasnt been put on well.

The best way is to put them on is with the mounts and surface being at room temperature then leave them to cure for as long as possible, preferably 24 hours. If you want to remove them heat them gently with a hair dryer and the twist, rather than pull to release it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meh, Bit of Frank Turner as well if I am not mistaken... Nice choice dude... Don't recognise the song though, and I thought I had most of his stuff Smile ????
ski holidays
smithy05 wrote:
Ok did you have any experience of it falling off? I have heard the gopro mounts sometimes fail with a combination of the cold weather and flex in the ski.

Nope, worked fine for the three half days or so it was on there. Possibly the Contour Roam is more reliable as it sits flatter and lower on the mount?
ski holidays
Mines been fine on my board so far but when I'm using that mount I do tie some string between the gopro & my binding just in case
snow conditions
AlpineAddict, you're right it's a song of his called 'Sunshine State' I bought it on what I guess was a double album called 'Love Ire & Song + The First Three Years'. Fits the nice chilled out, slightly dreamy sunny weather.
snow report
smithy05, An absolutely cracking job, especially for a first attempt. Far, far in excess of anything I could do both artistically and technically. If I had one tiny criticism I would say it's a fraction over-edited. i.e. excessive use of effects particularly the reverse thingy.
snow report
Thanks foxtrotzulu! I will take on board the comment about editing, now that I look back at it, it doesn't quite fit in but I was just trying to have a play around with the software and see what was possible.
latest report
meh, Have the album but didnt get teh double which included The first 3 years'... Smile Good choice anyhow... Smile
ski holidays
finestgreen, AJ is definitely my new hero. Very cool!
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
finestgreen, AJ is definitely my new hero. Very cool!

There's a bit of a backstory there - a friend who was supposed to be with us on the skiing holiday realised the day before we left that his passport had expired. So, we picked up the marmot at the airport, named him after our friend, and he went with us everywhere we went all week as a replacement Very Happy
snow conditions
meh wrote:
AlpineAddict, you're right it's a song of his called 'Sunshine State' I bought it on what I guess was a double album called 'Love Ire & Song + The First Three Years'. Fits the nice chilled out, slightly dreamy sunny weather.

Can't go wrong with a bit of Frank Turner, went to one of his gigs in Aberdeen, small venue with only about 200 people, great night!
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
They usually fail because the ski surface isnt completely flat or the mount hasnt been put on well.

The best way is to put them on is with the mounts and surface being at room temperature then leave them to cure for as long as possible, preferably 24 hours. If you want to remove them heat them gently with a hair dryer and the twist, rather than pull to release it.

Mine came off, even after mounting v carefully (cleaned and dried ski first, left in the warm for 24 hours to set, etc), though in fairness I think the tether I use got caught under the other ski pulling it off (stupidly I had the mount too far forwards to use the tether, so left it trailing). Thought I'd lost it, but found it after whacking around in the snow with my pole for 10 mins.
ski holidays
If you use Vimeo then you can use any sound track that takes your fancy.

I can edit films in around an hour or so, but I have been mucking around with camcorders since pre YouTube days.

Couple of rules I try and stick to.

Set the Camera to a reasonable resolution - I use 720 as all my stuff I'm going to compress anyway to upload to Vimeo

When filming try and film no more that 90 secs, just makes it easier to bring the films in (not to large)

Once you scan through the films, that should give you a good idea of the film's potential, and a possible theme

I then choose the sound track, know that sounds crazy, but it is good discipline to fit your film into a 3min or so edit

After sound track, I do the opening title, again thinking about some theme.

I then get clips together and use minimal transitions, and then the final title.

I will play around with clip frames and cut sections to do some slow mo and zoom, but try and stay away from that unless it's really critical.

I use Adobe Premiere Elements, which I picked up together with Photoshop elements for around £60

These are three vids from last week

Bareges tree skiing in The Pyrenees from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/59298434

We like lifts being shut :) from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/59167934

Just an average day in the Pyrenees, considering it never really snows that much from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/59165967

And a different sport all together, but just as much fun Smile

Fairies The Movie from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/50553480
latest report
I've also just bought a Hero2. What are the best video settings to use? I'm thinking of using 720 @ 60fps for slow motion shots.
ski holidays
Great videos Weathercam,

I think I have temporarily got round the issue of backing tracks on YouTube by fiddling with the copyright settings. With my vid, I chose the backing track before I shot any film. I spent a long time playing the song over and over again, and marking all the significant beat changes. That way, when I added the pictures and videos on iMovie, they would come in on a new beat. You should notice that the still images at the start all change on a significant beat, and change faster as the beat picks up. I can't wait to make another movie, I will have to wait until my next trip to Les Arcs in 5 weeks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
justatheory, I shot most of my video in 720 60fps, that way if you want to do slo mo shots you can. I did do some in 1080 (the bit when it is attached to the boot with the white skis, and also with the jumping of the stream). However 1080 takes up way more memory and uses battery quicker, so I would recommend sticking to 720.
latest report
http://freemusicarchive.org/ is a useful place to look for copyright-free music to use as soundtracks.
latest report
smithy05 wrote:
I have just finished editing my first video shot on my new GoPro - let me know what you think! What software do you use for editing your vids? Hope you enjoy!

http://youtube.com/v/wfrM5dr1frw

Great Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Filmed at 720p 60fps and edited with adobe premiere elements:)

http://youtube.com/v/AZMewiqN8pQ
snow report
I filmed this video at 720p at 60fps and edited it using i movie Smile
I have got all the videos on my channel are using a gopro at 720p 60fps so hope some of you will check them out Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/DePM6LNl9HU
snow conditions
Hey,

I've got a silver gopro 3 on its way to me. I was wondering if you found that you can notice a change in the picture when you switch between the 1080p and 720p quality levels when splicing two clips together, or if the transition is smooth enough to be unnoticeable across the clip. Just wondering if I should shoot everything in 720p, or just the bits I might consider putting into slow mo, and 1080p for the rest.

Also, how does the 720p scale on a larger screen tv (say 45/50inches plus). Does it look pixely or is it ok?

I'm sure all will be revealed when it arrives, but I'm curious and haven't been able to find any comment on using the two different quality levels in the same clip.

Great videos by the way, really can't wait to get mine and get it out on the snow!

cheers,
Hammer
latest report
Hi Mark2010,

I couldnt notice much difference on my laptop, but it may be different on a TV. Take a look at my video at the top of the page. All of my videos were shot in 720, apart from the bit starting at 1:46 off piste skiing and the part where it is attached to the boot of the person with the white skis. I cant notice any difference in particular. The part on the ski boot has also been slowed down to 75% of the original speed and was only shot in 30fps in the first place. Even if the transition isn' completely smooth, you could always add an effect such as a fade out/in to make it look smoother.

Hope this helps
latest report
Mark2010 wrote:
I've got a silver gopro 3 on its way to me. I was wondering if you found that you can notice a change in the picture when you switch between the 1080p and 720p

Well try it and see, of course. If you look at a lot of people's stuff then they aren't much bothered by quality - it's having a video at all which they're stoked about. If you're in that group, then fewer pixels won't matter much to you. On the other hand if you're a photographer or something then you may be very picky about things like that, in which case you'd find the interpolation from the lower quality format unacceptable. It's all up to you.

Personally I'm picky, although not picky enough to pay for Vimeo's higher bandwidth so you can see all the glory, but that's what I want to see on my copies of my stuff. So I don't much like anything other than the 1080p footage. I don't do much slow motion, so I tend not to bother fiddling with the higher frame rates. I do use After Effects etc so I can interpolate pretty well anyway, and those segments are pretty small.

Screen size isn't that important - it's how many pixels subtend what angle as you look at it. Translation: you sit further away with a bigger screen, so it's the number of pixels (and their quality) which is important, not the absolute size of the screen.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy