Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 40,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)
Resort Reviews and Trip Reports is supported by ALPINRESORTS.com Ski Hire.

Snow Socks...AutoSocks are legal in France since Oct 2012

Author

Snow Socks...AutoSocks are legal in France since Oct 2012

Poster: A snowHead
There has been much discussion in the past regarding the legality of AutoSocks v Chains in the French Alps. Apologies if this has been recently discussed again! We bought a new pair of AutoSocks last month for our new car and, after exchanging emails with them we found out about downloading the Gendarmes Certificate for B26 usage to attach to our packaging as the Norwegians had not yet updated the packaging. However, once I knew what we were looking for and had a closer look I realised the certificate is there at the bottom...very tiny, but it's there. So, at last - it's official... AutoSocks are LEGAL!!!
Again, I apologise if its old news to all of you but I've only just joined Snowheads!!
snow report

Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WobblyLegs, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I think a lot of the discussion has been about how effective, and hard-wearing, they are, compared to chains. Opinions (just for a change.....) vary!
latest report

Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WobblyLegs, indeed welcome and that's useful info.

You don't happen to live in South Northants do you? Just I had this conversation with a friend recently!
ski holidays

You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks pam W. we have been in such a quandary wondering whether to shell out extra dosh on chains when they (possibly) wont be used, already have AutoSocks and have weird requirements on our tyre size and clearance for chains. I just feel relieved that the certificate is finally there! We have winter tyres too this year so hoping all will be well Happy
latest report

Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm... Boris! Off to Vallandry in a couple of weeks by any chance??
snow conditions

You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
WobblyLegs, I drove (with chains on top of my snow tyres, on a very snowy day) behind a car with snowsocks on the front wheels. He seemed to be getting along just fine.
ski holidays

Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WobblyLegs, oh FFS now go read your email and pop into the bar in Apres
latest report

After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So when you are pulled into an aire de chainage by the plod and he sees the socks and says Non you wave the certificate at him and he's a happy bunny. Is that the idea? I'll have to look at my Michelin Composite ones to see if they have anything on them. I think they're supposed to be approved.
snow report

You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B, having also looked at this, Autosocks do claim on their website to be the only approved supplier.
snow conditions

Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers Boris!
latest report

snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris, Mine are more like chains but made of a composite material with metallic studs. Different concept to the socks. I'm sure I saw something somewhere when I bought them. I only drive at Easter so the chances of needing to use them are far slimmer, I haven't used them in the last 5 years but always keep some in the car.
snow report

And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes they do claim to be and their advice re downloading the certificate and carrying a translation of the Oct 2012 release sounds good. We couldnt find a link to the actual Gendarmerie Website though. My worry was if we encountered a Gendarme who may be having a bad day and feeling particularly stroppy and awkward! So having it included in the packaging seems pretty bulletproof!
latest report

So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just looked and there's a compliance statement in french on the plasticised instructions that double as a kneeling mat Happy
snow report

You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B,
If they have the Michelin badge on them surely they are automatically approved, after all they are the French National Tyre Company aren't they ? Toofy Grin
snow report

Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WobblyLegs, if you get stuck we will come rescue you in the Disco Laughing
snow conditions

But that will mean we'll have to wait for you!!
snow conditions

WobblyLegs, true, but we will have wine

Now go to the Après section and stick your head in the bar
ski holidays

I think that the French law from July 1985 is still in place http://www.viabilite-hivernale.equipement.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/arrete_18-07-1985_cle21782d.pdf (articles 8-12) and they define what equipment is suitable when you drive on a road with a 'panneau ' B26 or C14 http://www.viabilite-hivernale.equipement.gouv.fr/utilisation-des-panneaux-b26-et-a5012.html. They go on to say ''D’autres principes (snowgrip ou araignée) ne sont que des moyens de secours pour se sortir d’un mauvais pas et qui ne peuvent être utilisés pour circuler sur une section de route délimitée par un panneau « chaînes à neige obligatoire » " which would make me think that snowsocks may not be entirely legal in that context but are probably tolerated - depending who stops you! Smile and say 'Bonjour' rather than 'Hi' and you will already have a greater chance of being let through...

All that said a recent ruling seems to have asked for snowsocks (chaussettes neige) to be reconsidered on the approved list
http://www.juricaf.org/arret/FRANCE-CONSEILDETAT-20121004-362379

The Gendarmerie haven't updated their website it would appear but this is the page
http://www.gendarmerie.interieur.gouv.fr/fre/Sites/Gendarmerie/A-la-loupe/Securite-routiere-Equipements-speciaux

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 26-01-13 16:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Thanks X-Peak. With the certificate on the packaging I'm happy to chance it!
snow report

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy