Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reporting a burgler in Val Thorens - A cautionary tale

Poster: A snowHead
Just got into Snowheads so this why this story is a couple of years old.
Went to Val Thorens four years ago, stayed in the Olympiades Appartments on a DIY holiday. My brother was staying i an appartment with his son (20 years old), who went out for the evening with some other lads who were with us and took the room key with him. So my brothers room was unlocked but with my brother asleep. He was woken in the early hours by who he thought was his son, but when he called out the intruder took off. My brother gave chase down the corridor and down to the entrance lobby but the burglar had disappeared. My brother informed the night porter what had happened and went back to bed.
In the morning he found that 400 Euros was missing from his wallet. It did seem strange that the wallet wasn't taken, but we'll never know why not. He then went to the local gendarmerie office down by the coach stop. He was told to come back later as the officer didn't speak much English. He returned after skiing that evening with my wife, who speaks fluent French.
He told the story to a different officer, who after listening, asked why he didn't confront the thief, and why the door was not locked. My brother explained about the situation with only having one key, and his son going out on the town that night.
The gendarme then claimed that this type of crime did not happen in Val Thorens and accused my brother of only reporting a break-in to make a fraudulent insurance claim, that he was sick and tired of British holiday makers reporting false crimes just to claim on their insurance. When my brother protested his innocence, the gendarme plus a couple of his colleagues vaulted over the counter and threatened my brother and my wife with arrest for falsifying a crime.
Well what could they do - go to the police!
Needless to say, my brother was 400 Euros out of pocket with no police report for an insurance claim. Maybe with hindsight he should have reported the crime as soon as the breakin took place, but he didn't and paid a high price for it.
Maybe he should have reported the crime to the Municipal Police who might have had a different attitude.
We were told later in the week by a seasonnaire that this type of crime was quite common in VT that season.
Anyway, it didn't ruin another great holiday in my favourite resort, but you can bet we didn't leave any doors unlocked for the rest of the holiday!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bluefox69, bummer and worth bearing in mind. And welcome to Snowheads!

One thing, though.

I would say your brother had a case re his insurance.

He *did* report the crime, and he had a witness to that effect - your wife.

The fact that the French cops declined to take it seriously (which he should have complained about in writing as soon as he got home) is a problem, but may not have been fatal to his case.

A crime report is, at the end of the day, only one piece of evidence.

If the police refuse to take it that is not evidence that there was no crime.

It's too late now, but for future and other cases, I'm sure that the insurance company would have refused to pay out, in which case he should have threatened them with the small claims court, and then taken them to court (I think it costs £30) if they still refused to pay out.

In court it would have been the insurers versus your brother, his son (via a vis evidence regarding the key and lost money) and your wife (vis a vis the French cops refusing to take it seriously).

He could well have won.

NB: I don't *think* (a commercial lawyer might be along in a moment to advise differently) that the insurers would have been able to rely to any clause in the contract which said there must be a police report because, on the basis that he tried and was unable to make one, this would seem to me to be an unfair term (and thus prohibited by law).

Lots of things in contracts are basically unenforceable and rely on people saying, 'It's in the contract so I must be stuffed.'
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Maybe he should have reported the crime to the Municipal Police who might have had a different attitude.

they'd have sent him along to the gendarmerie. wink

That must have been very galling, but I can't imagine that even if he'd got a crime number, insurance would have paid out on a burglary with no forced entry (they don't on home insurance in the UK).

Thankfully, with plenty of cash machines and nearly everyone taking cards, there's no need to have that sort of amount of cash around, these days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, 'can't imagine that even if he'd got a crime number, insurance would have paid out on a burglary with no forced entry (they don't on home insurance in the UK)'

That's a fair point.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, scratch that. He was in the room at the time. I don't think your insurance requires you to lock your front door every time you're in your house.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was burgled in May last year, woke to find kitchen window, patio and garage doors open. There was no forced entry, I suspect I'd left a door unlocked (it was a very hot weekend, prime time for burglaries). Insurance paid out within 10 days or so, no questions asked.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I don't think your insurance requires you to lock your front door every time you're in your house.

I'm reasonably sure my UK house insurance requires "forced entry" but it probably depends on circumstances and your claim record! If you're asleep in the middle of the night I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect you'd have locked the door - but I do see the problem if you have only one key! There were lot of daytime burglaries round our area in the UK in the summer when it was warm for a few days and people were in their gardens with doors left unlocked - the neighbourhood watch system was putting round warnings from the police.

If I had €400 in an unlocked apartment at night I think I'd have it under my pillow. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, If I had €400 in an unlocked apartment at night I think I'd have it under my pillow.

Wise words - so would I. I bet he does now, too!

To be fair, I'm not so much commenting on the specifics of this case as saying to people, it may not mean you can't claim just because the French police behaved badly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I'd 'ave had it duct taped to my gonads Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nice image.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

pam w, I'd 'ave had it duct taped to my gonads

You'd also get a bonus "sack wax" next time you bought a round.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Call me callous but if he didn't take the wallet, my prime suspect would be the son having popped back to lift €40, getting rumbled and taking the whole €400.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perhaps in your pikey family you thieve off each other but not in mine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bluefox69, bit uncalled for.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
northernsoulboy wrote:
Perhaps but his son had just been called a thief.

PS to quote a post just press the quotation marks on the right of the post. Delete any bit you don't want.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Call me callous but if he didn't take the wallet, my prime suspect would be the son having popped back to lift €40, getting rumbled and taking the whole €400.

thought the same, although if he was out with a group he would have had to be missing for some time.

The only reason a thief would leave the wallet otherwise would be so he didnt have to get rid later or risk being found with it
ski holidays
Since there had been an intruder doesn't he seem the most likely thief?
latest report
bar shaker,
Quote:

all me callous but if he didn't take the wallet, my prime suspect would be the son having popped back to lift €40, getting rumbled and taking the whole €400.

Bluefox69,
Quote:

northernsoulboy,
Quote:

RALMFAO
ski holidays
Masque wrote:

Admin is probably having a flashback to how you have paid for previous bashes.
ski holidays
My money's on the night porter (not that I carry any cash ever)

Had a similar incident once in a backpacker dorm, (locked door), clearly an insider used to easy pickings from ferretting under the odd bunk & taking advantage of the fact that there is usually a bit of coming and going during the night in most dorms so people had no particular reason to be disturbed.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:

If thats where you keep your notes, where do you keep the coins?

Make a note never to ask Masque if he can make change...
snow report
fatbob wrote:
My money's on the night porter (not that I carry any cash ever)

the night porter whose cousin is the local plod Little Angel
ski holidays
I too suspect the insurance company would have said that being asleep in an apartment with the door unlocked was not good enough, and they would not have paid out. Crazy way to behave.
snow conditions
Bluefox69 wrote:

I thought it was your brother's family.

A senior work colleague has suffered a similar thing from his well educated son, who was home from uni (this was small amounts of cash from his wallet but he was caught when it also became credit card fraud), so you would be amazed at just how 'pikey' some normal people's kids can be.

Clearly this is simply not possible in your brothers case so I apologise for any offence caused.
snow conditions
bar shaker, when I checked last, my nieces and nephews were members of my family, and are the offspring of my brother.
snow report
Arno, I think you have been watching Scooby Doo too much
latest report
No pesky kids - no crime solved. Story could obviously be improved by intruder wearing a ghost disguise.
snow conditions
My brother chased the thief down a corridor, down the stairs and saw him disappear out the door. If it was his own son he would have recognised him from the clothes he was wearing. He then went to the reception desk and reported the intruder to the night porter.
So it wasn't my nephew (yes I consider my brother and my nephew MY family, wouldn't you) and it wasn't the night porter. So all you amateur Sherlocks are going to have to think again.
Now who could it have been?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy