Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski service - How often for holiday skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if I'm asking a question thats been answered a billion times but I've searched and can't seem to find a straight answer.

Should I get my ski's serviced/edged/waxed?

I skiing on them for two weeks last season, nothing particularly rocky or icey, they were edged and waxed before my two week holiday last season. That considered do I NEED to get them edged and waxed again before I go for a week this season?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure you'll manage without it, but I would have them done as I like to look after my skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get one of these

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/express-mini/5578

And one of these

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,136/category_id,19/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=136&category_id=19&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1

And you should survive another year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get them done once in the resort, each trip, just edge and wax evening you arrive or evening after. Full service if the bases are getting "scratched"

All this service yourself lark is for the guys that oiled a cricket bat before each game.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
...or those that ski very frequently and like to save money Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My French neighbour, noticing my OH doing some ski waxing on the terrace, asked him what he was doing. When he explained she said "Oh, I get mine done once a year". She has a ski apartment, has skied since she was about 4 years old. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wot Cynic said
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dredgey,

Get them waxed if the bases look dry (usually after about a weeks skiing) and only have the edges done if they need it.

Cynic,

If you oil your bat more than twice a season you're doing it more harm than good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends a lot on what you are sking - hard pack with stones will do for your base and edges in half a day. Fluffy off-piste - hot wax will last three or four or more days, edges longer. I generally cold rub wax/cork buff or flouro every morning after having hot waxed at the start of the season when I remove the storage wax. For Cynic's info - over the years doing it myself has saved me about the equivalent cost of three sets of high end skis/bindings/poles - and I've never oiled a cricket bat in my life (a fair few weapons but never a bat). Also I know it's been done right and not simply bunged into a machine that removes about a year of life in the edges/bases each time. I check and clean my bindings at the same time - which I doubt the tech waxing your skis will do. If I take a shot, I strip back, sort it and then re-hot wax/re-edge that evening.

Otherwise it's when you can start to feel it. For some reason last season I had two days when I had to come in and re-do the wax midday - no idea why. Same wax seemed fine before and after and the terrain didn't differ much.

You have not said if you had your skis storage waxed priro to laying them up. If so, I would remove that and re-hot wax but that's just me, some people just ski it off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies. So the general feeling is get them waxed at least. They're in good order anyway with no majot gouges on the sides or undersides.

jbob, I have this http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/express-mini/5578 and do apply it every few days although I can't say I notice a huge difference but I keep on applying it none the less.

I also have one of these http://www.filarinskis.com/ski/ski-wax-tools/toko-ergo-speed-edge-tuner/prod_2178.html but I'm never sure what side to use as it has difference degrees marked on it (88/89).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
My French neighbour, noticing my OH doing some ski waxing on the terrace, asked him what he was doing. When he explained she said "Oh, I get mine done once a year". She has a ski apartment, has skied since she was about 4 years old. Laughing

Well, she obviously avoids 'adventurous', early season or 'marginal' skiing then. Laughing I know a French pal who tours from his own house in the Chablais Alps and is a season ticket holder in the Portes du Soleil is a dab hand at mending rock dings and base gouges. wink

Dr John wrote:
wot Cynic said
wink

Nope, what Mosha Marc said. Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dredgey, every make/model of ski has a preset angle from the factory. On jonsskituning site there is a list of the original angles. It's also relatively simple to check what the angle is by marking the metal side edge wih a marker pen, then lightly rub down it with the edge sharpener, when it's set right it will remove the mark cleanly from he width of the metal edge. 90 is common with higher angles (89,88...) on sportier skis, but best to look it up. If the bases have a whitish bloom then a hot wax would be a good idea. If the snow feels sticky then that also indicates that a wax would be helpful. I sharpen my edges a lot when it's icy, but should be done if you feel burrs or its not sharp enough to cut a fingernail.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've actually started tuning my own skis, and find a week is fine with no further sharpening required unless hitting rocks etc. I don't wax after the initial hot wax for the week I'm skiing.

I have however changed my edge angle from a 90 degree to 88 degrees, as my shis don't bite/grip enough when carving. Doubtless I shall regret this when I fall over a lot when trying to turn.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh god, I knew at some point someone would bring edge angles into this....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry for the thread hijack, but what about new skis ? I was told to ski them for a day, and then get them waxed in resort. Is this correct ? Ta.
ski holidays
On new skis I always try to scrape off the factory wax and then hot wax two of three times before using them on snow, but it doesn't really matter unless you are looking for that 1% extra speed: the factory wax should be good enough for at least the first day or so.

How often you wax really depends on you. The more a ski is waxed the better it will glide and turn: some skiers (e.g. racers) want the fastest ski they can get and so wax a lot. Most once-a-year holiday skiers probably wouldn't notice a freshly waxed ski so weekly is fine - I doubt many hire shops rewax all their skis before each customer.
latest report
cstreat, simple answer in my humble opinion is yes,I would have them done before you go with some base prep wax followed by a general wax, throw in a hot wax scrape as well to clean out the base, have a look at this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91364
snow conditions
Quote:

Well, she obviously avoids 'adventurous', early season or 'marginal' skiing then

yes - she does exactly the same kind of skiing as the average "holiday skier" who the thread is about. On piste, often with kids. When that conversation took place she also had huge old long skis. Most holiday skiers do little or no touring from their back garden in the Chablais. wink
ski holidays
 cran
cran
I wax mine every 2 weeks, but do base repairs and edges only if necessary.

You should probably wax them, but if the edges and bases aren't damaged they should be ok.
ski holidays
After two weeks skiing I would have edged and waxed my skis by now regardless of the terrain.

Skiing in Scotland, I would probably edge and wax after every 3 days and when there is any damage sooner.

I used candle wax for a while to see how long it lasted, as it did not seem to matter what wax I used it always came off when you hit rocks and ice.

It does depend on the wax used, and on the base preparation. I never used to do much cleaning of the old wax off first, which probably explained why the new wax would not stick very well.

I now scrape all the old wax off and use a cleaning spray before applying fresh skiing wax. I also usually put a top layer of fluro wax on top to make the wax extra hard.

I frequently sharpen the edges on my skis, as I often get little dings and this makes it better on ice to control the skis.

Some people use "no wax" only and do not bother with wax. I read a report somewhere which suggested that over a period of time, not applying wax to skis would give a similar if not better performance than waxed skis.
However, initially the waxed skis would perform the best.

It is all down to performance really. If you are happy going slowly and putting in extra effort when gliding on the flat, then only wax when the base is damaged.

Skis never used to have wax on them originally.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

Skis never used to have wax on them originally.

How long back are you talking? I grew up in Switzerland in the 60's and it was used then. I remember nearly every skier carried a 3 pack of green, red and blue Toko wax for varying snow wetness. Used to be a proper hard graft applying to your skis in the cold mornings.

Talking of those days.... when I think back to the kit we used, like cable bindings, it's quite mind blowing really and not surprising that you'd see broken legs most skiing days!
ski holidays
Edge and wax skis every 2 days.

Sharper skis = sharper skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy