Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

moving to Austria for the season... HELP!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So i'm moving to Sankt Johann in Tirol for the winter season but i still have no job.. EEK!!! i've emailed and phoned all the local hotels and still nothing back... i'm getting kind of worried now to be honest..

Oh and i'm a skier and a snowboarder (recently crossed over to the dark side)

So... Does anyone have any advise on what to try next... I have my accommodation sorted for the season (kind of) so just need a job to keep me funded while i'm there...

Any help is much appreciated... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can ski reasonably, the anwaerter ski instructor qualifacation is very doable, and should make it fairly easy to find a job. Apply to Tour Operators (Top FLight are Irish, right?), apply to bars, google private chalets and apply, get out there a couple of weeks before the lifts open, and go around every business asking for jobs... And ask on natives.co.uk

Why Sankt Johann, particularly? Maybe worth trying other resorts too?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well i've been skiing for 15 years and the ski instructors from the local ski schools said i shouldn't have a problem passing the anwarter with my skiing.. only my german could hole me back.. Sad but it is getting better...

Well Sankt Johann is very special to me... You know when you find a home away from home... Well every time I go back its like going to my Austrian home... I've loads of friends and practically family living there so.. Very Happy

My plan is to fly out on the 1st of December and then job hunt if I still don't happen to have a job... Even though I wouldn't mind Kitz or somewhere close-ish to sankt Johann...

Thanks BTW!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've had no replies because all of the seasonal businesses are still on holiday. The summer season finished last week and now the ski resorts are ghost towns for a month while everyone has a final recharge of the batteries in October before getting the winter season underway. Other businesses will have used the summer to refurbish/rebuild and are frantically looking at their project plans and working out how to get finished before the winter guests turn up.

If you know Sankt Johann well enough, keep phoning and sending emails, but your best bet is to turn up as planned on 1st Dec and go round the hotels and bars.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

only my german could hole me back

you could do a huge amount to improve your German between now and the beginning of December if you work hard. There are loads of resources on line, but you also need a proper teacher (someone qualified to teach German as a foreign language) to point you in the right direction. How much time have you been putting into it? Even if you're working you should be able to manage a couple of hours a day.

Listen only to German - when you're driving, washing up, etc etc
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
irishjohann, I'd be surprised if any local businesses will take you on without speaking German, I agree with pam w, work on this like mad between now and then.

Regards finding work, you clearly know the town, one thing I would say is that when I was there in August I saw quite a few people walking about and speaking to hoteliers/ bar owners etc, so I'd be tempted to get an enquiry c/w your CV emailed over to businesses rather than potentially missing out. The businesses are closed down for the next few weeks but the key people will be about and email-able. I'd find out who the owners are, and email them directly (in German BTW) rather than generic email addresses, shows initiative etc. If you are looking for hotel bar work I know that most of them are answering emails regarding enquiries etc, so they will also be thinking about recruitment at same time.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
irishjohann, if you have so many friends and connections in the area use them to find out who is employing dishwashers, porters and general labourers. If you cannot speak German you are going to struggle for anything other than the most menial of jobs. There are an awful lot of Eatern Europeans who are not going to be there as ski bums and they all have a modicum of the language, so you will have to convince people to take you on I'm afraid. You really do need an intensive introduction to German at least if you are going to be competative I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks a mill guys.. I can speak German but its not great if ya know what I mean.. Oh and I'm doing a revision course with my old German teacher in school.. I was out in Sankt johann in July and spoke to quite a few people too...

But on the bright side I woke up to an email from a ski school today... Very Happy and its looking good.. Fingers crossed!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
irishjohann, Very Happy
please keep us up to date with your job hunt. I know brits work in Austria (english bar) and they only speak basic german and when i listened to them they pronounced words really bad.
Dont give up and once you are there maybe you pick up the language quickly. Very Happy
Viel Glueck!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue has said just what I would have suggested too. I hope it works out. If I can help at all from just up the road, let me know.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Credit card.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks guys...

I've been in touch with a local(ish) ski schools and i'm doing the anwarter regardless... Very Happy can't wait!!! and also have another job offer on the table in a pension so its just a matter of deciding what to do now... and a credit card!!!! oh good god not a hope in hell.. I've managed to get by without one so far and sure if money runs out i'll go into hibernation... Be grand!!!!! Very Happy
And i've been into the Uni in my town and managed to get German conversational classes too 4 times a week!!!! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Congratulations and all the best! The German lessons are a good idea. If you could watch German television, by satellite or Internet e.g., that might help too. I found that things like football where the same ideas are repeated frequently helped to start with. Now we just have to wait for the snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get hold of some children s books in German, they're silly, funny and will get a lot of the basics in place while having a laugh.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robapplegate wrote:
Get hold of some children s books in German

Good idea. I read Asterix at the start.
latest report
espri, I favour the janosch books about the little bear and the tiger, O wie schon ist panama being a firm favorite Very Happy
ski holidays
ooh good idea... thank you!! Very Happy
I've finally secured a job in a Pension in St Johann and also doing a few hours as an Au pair... that'll surely be good for my language skills... Very Happy only 6 weeks left...
latest report
Oooh getting excited now.. Finally I can count down the days... Very Happy even if its still 23!!!!

So I'm planning to pack this week well make a start... Should I pack as I normally do for a 2 week winter holiday?? Or maybe a bit more?? I've managed to convince my sister to take a bag on the plane for me.. (She's great) haha..
snow report
A lot more stuff. Unless you want to be everlastingly doing laundry. You don't want to smell, or you'll lose your job! Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
snowyowl, thats true.. i have 40kg for my baggage so that should be AWESOME!!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy