Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rolled ankle, fractured metatarsal. Snowboarder

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation to me. Just over 12 weeks ago I rolled, badly sprained, my left ankle on a trampoline, fracturing my 5th metatarsal. I was on crutches for two weeks and an aircast boot for around 6 weeks. I'm having phsyio and tuina (Chinese sports massage) I've been cycling and I'm just starting to hop on the affected ankle with a slight twinge. The pain, ache is in my inside ankle and a little on my toes, where they join the foot. I'm still getting swelling in the ankle, especially after exercise.

So...! Snowboarding on the 22nd for 10 days! I plan to take it easy, definitely no tricks or jumps! I plan to exercise loads in the next two weeks to prepare and strengthen my ankle as much as possible.

I would welcome any tips or advice anyone could offer.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask your tame physio about strapping it up. I have played rugby after various sprains etc and strapping by club physio with adhesive stretchy bandage made a huge difference. You will lose lots of shin hair though Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, it's already a lot better I've had the all clear off the phsyio, I'll be spending the last two weeks, before I go, jumping around trying to strengthen it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
have a good trip
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jones82, sounds like you have this pretty much in hand, but ...

Not the same I know, but my g/f decided to ski on a badly sprained ankle about four years ago and - despite the pain of getting the boot on / off at the beginning and end of the day - found it painless once on the slopes and much more convenient than walking!

That said, have you tried any light exercise whilst wearing your snowboarding boots? Not the same as a ski boot but could be worth seeing if it can flex comfortably in that with the restriction providing additional support or if it actually makes swelling worse or more painful. Better to know beforehand in my view...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A skier rather than a boarder but I badly sprained my ankle in 2010 whilst "sledge boarding" with my children (don't ask!). Entire foot swelled up like a balloon although no obvious fractures when x rayed. I heard and felt a sickening clank clonk when the incident occurred so I think probably some form of temporary dislocation. Was on crutches for a month and limping for 4 to 5 months. Finally pain free after about 12 months but still had twinges up to 18 months. Ankle still clonks and clicks now although no obvious weekness and no pain. I skied 17 weeks later (at the end of the season) and was ok strapped into a ski boot but still limping around and in pain without. I suspect the stiffness of a ski boot is much more helpful than a snow board boot but hopefully you will just about be ok after 14 weeks from initial damage.

Have a great trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm in a similar but no way as serious position by the sound of it, badly sprained my ankle in October then while trying to push too hard recovering did it again before Christmas.

Now focusing on cycling and swimming as much as possible as per the doctors advice. It's responded really well so far and time in the pool really has helped getting mobility back without risking the full weight of my body on it. I started with lots of breaststroke which barely flexes the ankle, but can now manage lots of front crawl (with kicks), I found kicking excercises with a float help also.

I'm skiing in less than four weeks time so very hopeful it'll will be back to normal by then. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone.

A good exercise when your in the pool is to hop up and down in the water on your bad ankle. I found it good preparation for hopping out of the water.

I'm hopping up onto boxes and steps now. Still a little pain, swelling and stiffness but I think this is due to foot being weak rather than damaged.

I'm also curious on the snow board boots but I hire mine rather than own them so I'll just have to wait and see!

Also for anyone about 1 month into an injury I found an electric fan heater on the injured muscles or tendons really helpful, it seems to encourage circulation and get heat into the area really well, use a cushion or something to trap the heat so it really builds up around the joint.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy