Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

runny nose

Poster: A snowHead
anyone else get a runny nose a lot when skiing.

Any top tips on fixing it - yeah I know blow etc but it doesn't last for long and is a complete pfaff in gloves etc
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See ENT man.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bertie bassett,

Stop sking the "powder" with those dodgy Russians
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My nose runs like a tap in icy weather. I get through loads of tissues a day and freeze my hands off by blowing it on every chairlift. I always think there must be a market for some sort of mini tampon which is waterproof but breathable. No tips, though, sorry.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, skiing, running, like a a tap as Maggi says. Skiing is the only thing I have a proper old fashioned hankey for, though it can get a bit soggy...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
no love for the snot rocket? when i am going somewhere adventurous i leave a trail of them so I can find my way back if i get lost Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Is not snot natures perfect high temp slippery ski wax? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Decongestant tablets help me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I take a Sterimar saline spray with me, and use it morning and night, clears out the congestion. A steroid nasal spray (Pirinase and Beconase are available in your local pharmacy wink ) might also help, but I've never felt the need to use one.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nothing worse than sitting on a chair lift next to someone who has a drippy nose but doesn't do anything about it.

I think it was in Stowe that they have tissues available as you queue up - and then a bin for them after a few shuffles/sniffles forward.
Also tiny little cups of hot chocolate - sip/shuffle/sip/shuffle - bin for the cup
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a permanently runny nose and always carry tissues. Allergic rhinitis or something. Never really found an adequate solution. It's an equally complete faff when riding a motorbike also.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yup, mine runs too. A squirt of sudofed decongestant seems to reduce the sheer volume of snot.

Arno, snot rockets? Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snot rocket; the violent ejection of snot from one nostril whilst holding a finger over the other. Much more hygienic than keeping it in your pocket, and environmentally friendly too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Snot rocket; the violent ejection of snot from one nostril whilst holding a finger over the other.
Attractive.
snow conditions
Fine when done in private, and then no worse than keeping a congealed, crusty mass in your pocket. It`s just body fluid, and the same as when you pee behind a bush. Who here saves their pee in their pocket ? Knowing SN, there`s probably someone Shocked
snow report
Only ski in really cold temperatures so it freezes... simples.
ski holidays
bertie bassett, It probably runs in the family. Toofy Grin
latest report
cstreat wrote:
Who here saves their pee in their pocket ? Knowing SN, there`s probably someone Shocked
Scarpa? He probably has some kind of urine fetish Toofy Grin
snow conditions
maggi, and bertie bassett, have my fullest sympathy. A runny/dripping nose while skiing is real pain
I apply vast quantities of vaseline to my nose, upper lip and cheeks to stop them getting too sore, but I must admit it doesn't stop the whole face becoming very sore.
And I must confess that on occasions I have bunged up the offending orifices with ruched up toilet paper.
snow report
Use ski mask
snow conditions
As a long standing runny nose sufferer I would say handkerchiefs are definitely the way to go. I plan on bringing 14 man-sized hankies on my trip in january so I have two fresh ones a day. Much better than tissues- or even worse toilet roll which just ends up disintegrating in your pockets.

From experience I don't advise the ski mask option- I've tried it and found it makes it difficult to blow your nose and you end up with a rather unattractive wet patch below your nose on the mask.

BTW my nose is running now just thinking about it.
snow report
The snot rockets quick and clean. Just make sure it's not from the lift on some poor skier!
snow report
I tend to wipe my nose with my gloved back of thumb or forefinger. I have thought of making a thumb and forefinger over glove cover out of toweling so that I can wipe my nose with something clean, and save my gloves from getting covered in snot.

I have not done this yet. I was hoping I might find a better solution, like storing a hankerchief under the sleeve of my glove.

You cannot predict when your nose is going to run, and often you do not have time to get a hankerchief out. So I may make a thumb and finger cover for this year.

The downside of this idea, is that it will likely freeze solid after one use. So the second use will be a bit rough on your nose.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
This thread has prompted me to take some action. I have now created the first ever thumb hanky. Expect to see these on the slopes everywhere soon. It is patent pending, and copyrighted so you cannot cut up an old towel and make your own without an expensive law suit!

Wear on thumb due to nose wiping

Hanky tucked under cuff, and attached to glove so cannot lose on lift

Hanky in place ready for action

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Anyone experience that crunch of frozen nasal mucus when you pinch or rub your nose in anticipation of an embarassing nasal dribble Very Happy
ski holidays
Well!!Different people like the different tips use for the runny nose.I have a problem.But
most of the people eat noddles for close the runny nose.According to me that steam is the
best solution for runny nose.I preffered it...
snow report
Learned this from an Old Gal in Whistler; Put a thick coat of chap stick all over the outside of your nose to include the underside above your lip. Don't know the science behind it, but it works great.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The best runny nose stopper is any spray containing ipratropium bromide. I use Atrovent. About 15 years ago there was an article in New Scientist where the author was wondering why everyone who suffers from runny noses didn't know about this drug. I tried the spray on my next skiing trip, and it worked like magic.
latest report
Runny nose and wet tissues have left me with crusty nose so often until a companion advised me to use mens handkerchiefs instead. Doesnt stop nose running but the nose doesnt get nearly so sore.
latest report
@bertie bassett, Take a Clarityn or similar antihistamine.
snow conditions
Well I was going to start a new topic on this until I found this in the archives!!
Every year without fail, nose runs like a tap, but oddly enough only from the one nostril my right one. Agree with many that I need a proper man hanky per day. Tissues are useless end up in a soggy mess! The things we have to endure to ski, but wouldn't have it any other way!!
ski holidays
Arctic Fox wrote:
Use ski mask

+1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy