Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmass/Aspen - Anyone been lately???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am looking to book for Snowmass/Aspen for Feb 2013 for hubbys 50th birthday.

Have been looking at various options and have finally settled on flights via Dallas and staying in Snowmass.

Anyone been in the last year or so who can comment on what its like there?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jennyski, Just do it, but if you can push the boat out , stay in aspen ( the little nell is fab) snowHead Great place for a 50th .
I am 50 this year too , wish my missus would take me to aspen Toofy Grin
Havn't been recently , but had one of the best ski hols ever there four years ago, and feb is a great time to visit
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my opinion Snowmass is the best among the 4 unlinked resorts of Aspen that comprises of Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highland, Buttermilk and Snowmass. The last is the biggest and with the most facilities.

When I first arrived skiers were playing guitars and singing and relaxing under the sun in the central area which really looks upmarket.

You can catch ski buses to the other 3 areas which are quite close to each other. Each has its own charm and attraction.

Buttermilk is the easiest for skiing while Aspen Highland possibly has more extreme skiing terrains that killed some ski patrols some years back resulting part of the Highland bowl closed for a number of years.

Aspen Mountain is where the famous town locates and do take a picture at the mid level with the whole of the Aspen at the back. Seldom there is a skiing resort with a big town at the base stations.

Enjoy Aspen as it does hold its position among places like Vail, Beaver Creek, Zermatt, Davos, St Moritz, Saas Fee, St Anton, Ischgl, Gstaad and Cortina D'Ampezzo.

It is almost like a private skiing paradise because the average skiers/boarders have been priced out. It isn't an expensive place to ski if you manage to stay away from the resort. The ambience is something you don't get from the average resorts even most of us don't really need to shop for a mink coat or a Rolex after walking off a chairlift station. However walking to a chairlift station in the morning and handed over a cup of free coffee was something I didn't expect from a skiing resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been four times, not in the last four seasons, but it is what it is, and that is the best ski town in the US. Your husband is going to be very happy. Aspen is a beautiful ski town, and as saikee said, the mountain springs right up from the town, a great setting. I also agree with saikee that Snowmass is the best of the 4 mountains. It has the most vertical, is the largest, and is the most varied. Aspen (Ajax) Mountain and Aspen Highlands are both wonderful too. There is plenty of skiing in Aspen for a week and then some. Also, because many wealthy Americans seem to come to be seen, the ski slopes are often quite empty, so all that great skiing will be there just for you. I have not skied Buttermilk as it has an easy reputation and I like challenge. Snowmass, as a village, is still evolving, but it is attractive and high end, and has lots of on slope, or near on slope, lodging. Because Aspen is a special ski town I prefer staying there, but if ski-on convenience outweighs other facctors, you'll be happy in Snowmass too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jack and Saikee - thanks very much for the comments. We are a mixed group of skiers and boarders with different requirements from our ski holiday - husband,son and friend
will ski from dawn til dusk - last lift every day. Me, daughter and friend sometimes like to hot tub from mid afternoon so I think the easy convenience of Snowmass sounds
good for us. We are looking at condos close to the piste - Crestwood, Woodrun Place. Not bothered about high end shops particularly - but empty pistes and powder are very appealing
after a few bad experiences in Europe. You're only 50 once so why not?

I promise a full report when I return as I couldnt find much here on the resort reviews. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jennyski, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=828174
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is a special place as it is hard to get to. The road beyond Aspen is close in winter so it is a long drive by car to a dead end valley. As with many upmarket resorts Aspen has its own airport and runway so if you can pay it is still accessible. Due to some famous film stars keeping properties there so real estate properties are expensive and so the cost of accommodation will not be cheap. This is one of the few skiing resorts that crowd is hard to come by and everyone appears to be polite and well manner. The nearest place I could compare is St Moritz. The locals there want quality. They welcome visitors but not at any price. Definitely a place worth the effort to visit. I was quite impressed by the comprehensive but fast bus links to get around the 4 resorts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am busy shifting things around to try and get over to Snowmass/Aspen next year as well. Does anyone have an opinion on going for 2 weeks late March ? Would I be taking to much of a chance with snow conditions ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been many times since 1985 including a season in 87 & 92 . Last visit was 2 yrs ago. If you have any specific ?'s pm me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Speedster,

Others can confirm but the weather was beginning to hot up in mid Mar when I was there in 2010. The snow wasn't disappearing at all but it did make me think may be the Colorado skiing season ends sooner than the Alps. The Snowmass web page indicates the 2011 season ended on 10 April.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Speedster, Have been twice, last time was in '06 both times we arrived on 15th March for 2 weeks. Had great conditions each time with blue skies and fresh pow. Warm days and sometimes icy starts - Spring conditions really.

Snow quality was good though and walking around the town in short sleeves in the afternoon is great. You will see locals in shorts and T's during the day. Aspen airport does close regularly though due to weather conditions - high winds and snowstorms so getting in that way can be hit or miss. We were delayed by a night flying in. Arrived the next morning but all we really missed was a night in our bed. We still hit the slopes by 10am, and had a full days skiing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Carbon copy -thanks !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee wrote:
The locals there want quality. They welcome visitors but not at any price.

That pretty much sums up what makes Aspen the way it is.

There're actually not a huge amount of lodging in Aspen, considering the fairly substantial skiable area. So even if all the visitors decided to ski on the same time, it still isn't going to be super crowded. It's also too far away from population center for day trippers. I was there in a major holiday during an event and surprisingly, no more crowded than any other day. But when I wanted to extend my stay, I couldn't find any empty room no matter what price! Shocked (X-game was in town that week)

The limited lodging basically limits how many skiers can there be on the mountain. They didn't ruin it by building more apartment blocks. Simple as that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aspen is unique, a great place, Utopia, no poverty and has evolved organically from a mining town to a home for the wealthy. Its location and property prices keep the rif raff away. There is so much going on as so many residents have time and money on their hands. It's a shame the rest of the world can't be the same. Despite that it was not that expive for a visitor.
I would have recommended staying in town as Buttermilk and Snowmass accomodation is generic American ski resort without the atmosphere of the town, but you can always go to town on an evening. Public transport was free allowing us to alternate skiing the 4 hills.
Flying into Aspen airport makes for a 15 minute to town. Landing at the Airport is touch and go in bad weather so you might find your flight delayed or diverted.
Snowmass is the biggest ski area and is pretty good.
A great choice for a special trip...Enjoy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy