Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
I know yes again !

Could this be the answer for the ski industry?

http://youtube.com/v/oSOhZQU4rZ8

http://youtube.com/v/Am9evsSvKhA

Testing

http://youtube.com/v/CwF-ZbJ_txw

http://youtube.com/v/d7Oud3iGXWY
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its certainly a neat idea but as a Ski helmet i think it has one major drawback, the single use.
Many skiers fall regularly and i am on my ass maybe 5 times a day and at $400 a go that makes for a very expensive helmet.

Also, this helmet is only triggered by falls and will therefore offer no protection from the moron that slams into the back of you from behind.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Corduroy,

Or the tree from in front!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
FWIW, I think helmet usage in snow sports is more common with younger people and it tends to be older skiers who eschew them. That's not to say ALL younger skiers/boarders wear them, but it does seem more prevalent. So in time, natural selection and whatnot, everyone will be wearing lids Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems to me that the trigger for this inflatable helmet would probably be set off by the small jerks and impacts of normal skiing as well as falls if it reacts before impact as it seems to. It might not get any notice of a collision with another skier and I'm not sure about trees. It might be good in a couloir fall, though.
As has been said the one-use would need to be changed for skiers, though I only fall once or twice in a holiday, in general.

I do not (yet) use a helmet and must admit to being an older skier (if not an old skier). If I skied on pistes I think I would already be wearing one. It is interesting that very few guides wear helmets. I wonder if the few who do are among the younger guides?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, I think younger guides probably are more likely to if they just regard a helmet as part of their skiing kit. For more old school guides I guess there are 2 driving factors:
1 They are well withing their comfort zones when guiding clients so not particularly at risk of falls
2 They perhaps value easier all round visibilibity when constantly tending their flock

Add to this a bit of old school bravado.

It's interesting to note that lots of guides now wear airbags, yet many of the anecdotal accounts of people who've survived avalanches with them say how they've been glad they were wearing a helmet as well while they got "rinsed".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tremendous idea. Over time the price and functionality should change.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I'm completely honest, the reason I bought a helmet was assisted by the desire to use a helmet cam which mounted on the goggle strap. I tried using it without a helmet and it just wasn't working.

However, now that I have a helmet, I wear it all the time. It doesn't restrict vision at all, is very light, has adjustable vents so can be warm or cool and removable ear-flaps. I actually find it more comfy than a woolly hat.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always wear my helmet when skiing - probably as I had to when I learnt so it feels as much part of my kit as my gloves and skis. I never wear a helmet when cycling though and can't think I ever will. I do make my kids though...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always wear a lid when cycling too. After seeing the concussion suffered by a friend when he crashed off-road while wearing a helmet (and split it in two), I daren't think what state he'd be in if he hadn't been wearing one.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was offered an airbag when I skied with Topski in Val d'Isere a few days ago. Not a helmet, though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob,

Helmets don't affect all round visibility, the goggles you wear with them do that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The ear pads do tend to muffle my hearing a little. They are removable though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobmcstuff wrote:
The ear pads do tend to muffle my hearing a little. They are removable though.

No more than having a hat pulled down over your ears imho Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A mate was in Winter Park this year and over heard two instructors on the chair he was on discussing the fact that Winter Park owners were looking at making it compulsory to wear a helmet, no helmet no ski.
ski holidays
leedsunited, Most likely to be no helmet, no instructor job. Vail already do this I believe in an effort to set a good example and reduce worker's comp claims/ comply with insurance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy