Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Technician Course

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am currently planning my escape from the UK where I have a moderately satisfying job as a nurse to head for the alps next season and out of all the jobs on offer, ski tech most appeals as I like constant interaction with the public and practical tasks.
I have noted on the natives site the only info they offer re ski technician roles is a link to the £420 ski tech course at anything technical in Kendal, however the ads I have seen for ski techs say no experience is required.....

Does anyone have any thoughts on how helpful would this course be at securing me a job out there?

Cheers
Emma
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I learnt to be a ski tech by working in a ski shop initially as a regular floor assistant and being trained by the senior tech. Once established, we were often offered additional training by some of the suppliers/manufacturers, especially Salomon.

I would expect a lot of the ski shops in the Alps would have quite a few established techs competing for the jobs. The seminar might help, certainly, but I think it would be better if you went to the shop as regular staff, and used the experience as a bonus to put you ahead of the other non-technical staff, than try and compete with experienced ski-techs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski techs are the troglodytes working in dark backrooms of mixed vapours so I'm not sure constant interaction with the public is on the mind of most shop owners wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Tech for a TO is a little different to a true Ski Tech in a shop servicing customer skis and one of those courses would put you towards the top of the list. For a TO you'd possiblly (probably!) go to the airport with the reps to jump on a coach and push the in-house ski hire (to those who hadn't already added it to there package) and upgrades, once back in resort you go down to the dungeon and wait for the guests to get the luggage to the their room and head down to be fitted. You hand out the right sizes and adjust the bindings and DIN settings. A good Tech will wax the fleet weekly, however I doubt you'd even have to fill any bases. Any damaged skis get put to the back and prey you never have a full weeks bookings! Along side that you hang around with the reps all week, fetch a few ski passes and maybe show guests to the lifts etc.

A job in a resort shop requires a lot more knowlege and all the advice above stands. The TO Tech is not a bad little number and although better paid than a General Assistant is still a skivvy for the hotel manager. The tech often gets the chance to jump in to the company car/van to transport ski's/fridges/beds to other hotels and resorts...a great bonus which stops the cabin fever of being in a ski resort for the winter and allows you to do the cheap beer/wine/haribo run for yourself and the rest of the staff!!

Not to many TO's offer in-house rentals and returners always get priority, ie not the easiest job to get!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr Flattoad, I'd be pleased to assist:
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,216/category_id,8/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Flattoad, Whilst Jon is Pimping Smile I will say his course is very worthwhile and well worth doing even for you own skiing, certianally a good starting point.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevindonkleywood, Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy