Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extreme cold weather protection - St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
stanton wrote:

Alberg weather report

People arriving Saturday expect nothing higher than -16C in town WITHOUT windchill

-24C at 2000M
-30C Valluga

We were at the top of Valluga on Saturday morning where there was also a wind of around 10 mph, so it was a tad 'chilly' on the open chairlifts.

Although we had plenty of warning and were well prepared with multi-layers, we all suffered with extremely cold faces.

Any form of face covering - masks, full face balaclavas, scarves ets - resulted in breath entering to air vents on the bottom of the goggles which then froze.

Does anybody have a solution to cold faces in extreme temperatures.

Although it was cold, skiing conditions were brilliant - well groomed pistes - as it was changeover day and, I guess, also too cold for the locals, so was very quiet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
codyaitch, I found a neoprene mask with proper breathing vents was OK - just need to make sure the scarves/neck things etc keep away from the mouth and nose.

But that is very, very, cold - don't think I've ever skied as cold as -30, nor would I like to. Is it a silly question to ask why you were skiing so high when there lower, more sheltered, terrain available?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Is it a silly question to ask why you were skiing so high when there lower, more sheltered, terrain available?

pam w, That is not a silly question, I was thinking the same as you,,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is not very wise to go out in -30C even if you think you can handle it. Any exposed skin is subject to frostbite. lips, earlobes, nose.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We skied from Valluga over the back to St Christoph then back to Galzig to spend the afternoon in an empty Rendl where the temperature was 'balmy' -22C.

Apart from the stinging face and cold fingers on unwindscreened chairlifts, skiing at those temperatures was not an unpleasant experience - our group of five were on the mountain from 9.30 to 4pm - (with lunch and chocolate breaks)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

skiing at those temperatures was not an unpleasant experience

Yes, but did your beers freeze at the Moos? Have had that a couple of times Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
codyaitch, Crikey...we're arriving Friday afternoon, do I need to seriously revise my wardrobe??...my usual get up is, North Face trousers & jacket, Under Armour coldgear top, football type jersey over it, cowl, helmet......never let me down before.

And Alpenpanorama showeda slight rise in temps come Wednesday???....is that right?.....but most importantly, what's the conditions like?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just returned from Beitostolen, Norway where the temp. didn't get above - 12C. Despite many layers I felt the cold on the open lifts, especially just afte 3.00pm. The freezing of breath was a problem until I adjusted my goggles to my skin and buff to the underside of goggles.
Freezing fingers have resulted in determination to buy down mitts. Don't know what I can do about freezing feet though, can't get thicker socks in my boots - any suggestions ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dazman wrote:
codyaitch, Crikey...we're arriving Friday afternoon, do I need to seriously revise my wardrobe??...my usual get up is, North Face trousers & jacket, Under Armour coldgear top, football type jersey over it, cowl, helmet......never let me down before.

And Alpenpanorama showeda slight rise in temps come Wednesday???....is that right?.....but most importantly, what's the conditions like?

The forecast on the Alberg Snow Report thread is for 'warmer' temperatures from mid week - you should be fine with that gear - my 'extra' concessions to the cold were a 2nd pair of merino leggings, a second micro fleece and a helmet liner.

I guess the low temperatures did not feel that bad because, generally speaking, there was little wind chill other than that generated by ski speed.

I have felt much colder in -10C with a 25mph penetrating wind.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dazman, according to wetter.at it's increasing to a balmy -6 towards the middle/end of week and settling to more average temps for time of year
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dazman wrote:
codyaitch, Crikey...we're arriving Friday afternoon,

...but most importantly, what's the conditions like?

Piste conditions were brilliant - particularly Zurs and Rendl - off-piste is tracked but we had 4 to 5 inches of new snow that freshened things up
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski, codyaitch, One assumes the current cold snap hasn't dampened spirits or numbers outside the Mooser???...I hate to think of poor old DJ Gerhard belting out "Fliegerlied" to a half empty bier garden!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It back to normal winter temperatures from Wednesady this week. -6 to-10C.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shelmerdine wrote:
I've just returned from Beitostolen, Norway where the temp. didn't get above - 12C. Despite many layers I felt the cold on the open lifts, especially just afte 3.00pm. The freezing of breath was a problem until I adjusted my goggles to my skin and buff to the underside of goggles.
Freezing fingers have resulted in determination to buy down mitts. Don't know what I can do about freezing feet though, can't get thicker socks in my boots - any suggestions ?

You can buy boot heaters which will cure this, I bought Mrs.D a pair a few years ago and she swears by them. Just dont let the shop make the same mistake snow & rock made with hers when they fitted the heat pad on top of a custom insole, defeats the object really and makes them quite uncomfortable.

We rerouted the cable and set the pad under the sole and she just keeps them on seeting #1 all day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. As it happens, I bought my boots from Snow & Rock twelve months ago and they went through the moulded footbed procedure and it's for that reason that I thought heated footbeds couldn't be fitted. I've no experience of these heated things but will find out.
Very Happy
latest report
dazman,
you've no need to worry, the Moos has all essential procedures in place. (so far as I could tell, that meant some portable hot air blowers aimed at the outside pumps to stop them freezing, and Gerhard appearing slightly less frequently, and for shorter durations, on his balcony.) The beer _did_ start to freeze (*), and the Weissebeer glasses seemed a little more prone to shattering.

On a related topic, the Champagne started to freeze at the Folie Douce over New Year.

(*) does anyone remember the story from (many) years ago, about the Austrians putting anti-freeze in their wine? Maybe it started at the Moos....

As for the skiing, yes, the natural wind was quite low, but skiing at speed did make it noticeably unpleasant on the nose. Good facial neoprene was the order of the day.

The problem with being lower down was generally the poorer viz, although this was improved slightly by being in the trees.

whilst the Anton side was often busy, Stuben was invariably deserted....
latest report
I've recently discovered Kosy Boot's - really thick neoprene ski boot covers that go over your boots when you're skiing. They work for me
I don't ski without them!!! Loads of cool colours as well

Can't find them in the shops but are available online www.whizzski.co.uk
snow conditions
fulney, and your connection to the business is?????
ski holidays
fatbob, alerted already
snow report
fulney, Laughing Laughing Laughing I'd rather give up skiing than wear those
snow conditions
Who the hell designed those so badly?? Laughing
snow report
dazman, Just got back Sunday, and it was down to -25c whilst we were there, wrap up super warm but the conniptions are epic and simply the best snow I've ever ski'd on (or rather in). I was 80/20 off/ on piste and did loads of new runs that were in perfect condition, the best being Rossfall, Schindlerkar, Stuben, under the chair down to St Christoph, back off Kapall and tree run down to Zug (joining itinery after dropping through the trees, not the big slab which is wind/ sun exposed). Muggengrat down to Lech too, amazing........Also slack areas/ gullys generally but the ones next to Kandahar and down river run under Zammermoosbahn down to Hausstadl are a great laugh. All off piste next to the pistes are all in good shape, never scraped a rock all week, keep away from cornices though.

Never been so cold though, thick merino leggings under Arcteryx shell pants, 3 layers merino wool 180/ 200 and 320 under shell jacket with merino neck tube around neck and under helmet, merino inner gloves and Hestra army gloves, goggles froze a few times and had to dive under hand heater a few times but the absolute best. I typically "run warm" but not last week.

Playing back my helmet cam footage and stills last night, just brilliant skiing week.

Enjoy yourself............also go to Rodelevening, what a laugh!!!

Enjoy it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Breaking News :
It's now that cold in St Anton that a lawyer was seen outside the Mooserwirt with his hands in his own pockets.
snow report
Quote:

It's now that cold in St Anton that a lawyer was seen outside the Mooserwirt with his hands in his own pockets.

Laughing Laughing
where's the photo?
ski holidays
fulney wrote:
I've recently discovered Kosy Boot's - really thick neoprene ski boot covers that go over your boots when you're skiing. They work for me
I don't ski without them!!! Loads of cool colours

You can't be serious Laughing
latest report
Markymark29, Brilliant stuff....can't wait now...whats Rodelevening?
latest report
Quote:

does anyone remember the story from (many) years ago, about the Austrians putting anti-freeze in their wine?

yes - my Dad used to drink gallons of the stuff. Can't remember the name of it, though.
snow conditions
dazman, Every Tuesday and Thursday evening starting at 7.30pm start from bottom of Nassereinbahn the Rodelbahn (sledge run) down from Gampen (1850m) to Nasserein (1300m) is open for floodlit sledging, and you can stop off half way down at Rodelalm for beers/ food. Such a laugh, hire sledges at the bottom, go up on the Nassereinbahn headtorches/ goggles etc!! Best if theres a group of you, a few beers and shots, and umpah band at the top! No need to book, just turn up on the night.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

does anyone remember the story from (many) years ago, about the Austrians putting anti-freeze in their wine?

yes - my Dad used to drink gallons of the stuff. Can't remember the name of it, though.

There was of course never actually any anti freeze added to Austrian wine. What did happen was a small number of producers added a chemical compound (which was also found in anti freeze) to try to sweeten the wines. Sweet white wines being rather popular in the 80s (think Blue Nun for a German example - not of adulterated wine, but of sweet white).

This lead to a huge and justified scandal, much media mockery, a complete change to the Austrian wine market. And there are now lots of fantastic wines produced in the Wachau, Burgenland and Styria. Hic.

Anyway, it's going to get very cold in Austria again at the end of this week into the weekend.
snow report
Markymark29, THAT SOUNDS MEGA!!!!!
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, AFAIK they were adding glycol to the wine. The whole thing only became public because one of the wine farmers tried to claim the glycol he bought against taxes! The tax man asked himself what exactly he needed all that glycol for...
snow conditions
shelmerdine wrote:
Thanks. As it happens, I bought my boots from Snow & Rock twelve months ago and they went through the moulded footbed procedure and it's for that reason that I thought heated footbeds couldn't be fitted. I've no experience of these heated things but will find out.
Very Happy

No problem, the heat generated from the thermal pad isn't enough to distort the insole so you'll be fine if you use setting one all day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy