Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

waxing question

Poster: A snowHead
Arrived home late Saturday night from an awsome week skiing in Mayrhofen and so yesterday waxed my skis ready for dpearture again in 2 weeks (oh its a hard life)

Edged skis as per usual
waxed as per usual, (dripped on wax, then melted into base as always done)
left over night in garage

Went to scrape wax off this morning, some is comming off as per mornal, but some is comming off is larger pices, as if there are air bubbles underneath.

Is it too cold to scrape wax off?
Should I put skis in house to warm up a bit before scraping?
or
is there something else going on?

all help appriciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you clean the old wax off first before applying the new wax?

Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wiped the skis down with Meths
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure what's going on but I'd clean with cleaning wax rather than meths. I'm no expert but I'm sure I've read NOT to use solvents to clean the base unless repairs are needed.

Would also recommend keeping the skis at room temp overnight if poss. I put mine in the airing cupboard - with permission!

Give Jon a call and ask him for advice? http://skituning.co.uk/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
k1orange, How warm were the skis when you waxed them ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did mine outside yesterday and no problems despite it being really chilly. Left the wax on for only about 30 minutes though, plenty long enough to cool yesterday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd not suggest using meths on the base.....

I'm GUESSING that you did not get the base/wax hot enough if it is coming off in "flakes" as the wax was not absorbed into the base and just melted and spread over the base.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also try and keep my skis warm when waxing- take them from the house and have a fan heater blowing over them to help the wax penetrate.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did use a fan heater, the wax looked as if it had penetrated the base, it warmed up and moved around very nicely, maybe it just warmed up but the beases were't warm enough to start.
Before scrapping it looks a good job, just bit off when I start scraping. Could the wax be too thick (i.e I'm putting too much wax on)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
k1orange, When you scrape - is there any wax left on the base.. if not, then the base was too cold when you waxed them. You can just reuse the iron to melt it again. But make sure that the skis are warm (i.e. left indoors overnight - not in the garage).

You need to be careful not to overheat the base, but I like to have the ski bend into reverse camber before I stop ironing... then I know the base is good and hot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What wax did you use?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also make sure your scraper has not gone too blunt..It is uprising how getting the wax off is so much easier with a sharp scraper.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
how long since the bases were ground? belt or stone grinds in ski shops open the pores on the base and allow the wax to penetrate properly - or so i've been told lol i do a couple of home waxes then a shop service and never get problems but they always get done in a fairly warm worrkshop as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skis in the hall getting warm. How can you sharpen a plastic scraper.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
k1orange wrote:
How can you sharpen a plastic scraper.

with a knife or with a credit card.
ski holidays
II wrote:
k1orange wrote:

A credit card Puzzled Puzzled

They are cheap enough to buy new but if you want you can invest in a sharpener

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,192/category_id,22/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

You can sharpen your plastic scraper in much the same way that you sharpen the edge of your ski using a fileguide.

If you go on one of Jons tuition days you will learn the correct way of home servicing your kit and you wont look back wink
ski holidays
hedley, You can just use a flat file....the edge needs to be sharp... but doesn't have to be 90 degrees .
ski holidays
Lads I'm a bit confused here, when i wax my board i don't preheat it. Strip old wax (I use wax remover), then drip on wax, iron in etc.etc. When i start the board is at room temp - we run a cool enough house at approx 15deg and Ive never had a problem. I usually iron wax in once, allow to solidify but not fully cool and then run over again remelting and applying a little more pressure. So a question those of you saying 'skis too cold when you wax them', at what temp do you wax them and why? My biggest fear is overheating, so preheating doesn't seem right, but then I'm not trained at all.
ski holidays
I screwed some sandpaper to my waxing table and simply run the scraper over that every now and again, seems to work fine!

rogg, I've never reheated my bases!
snow conditions
Surely the base heats up quite a bit when you're melting the wax in? I never pre-heat but my snowboard base gets pretty warm from the ironing of the wax. Sometimes i get the odd clump of wax after it cools as k1orange, described but i usually just assume that's excess wax. I don't get too excited about scraping, i just do a rough job off it then go over it with a steel pan scrubber which is much more efficient at taking off the remaining excess wax.
ski holidays
I'm no expert, but I think there's a difference between cool wax and cold wax. Cool wax will scrape off nicely. Cold wax i.e. way below room temperature is too solid and just chips off, probably pulling wax from the base pores with it.

When waxing you can feel the heat coming through the top sheet, so you know the base is warm enough. I go over the whole base 2-3 times for added penetration (not sure if this helps tbh)

I wouldn't use a base cleaner unless doing a repair when you want as much wax out of the area as possible. IMHO a hot scrape will clean the base better than any cleaner. Residue from the cleaner will stay on the base and repel the wax.
snow report
Quote:
Surely the base heats up quite a bit when you're melting the wax in?

That's what i thought.

Quote:
When waxing you can feel the heat coming through the top sheet, so you know the base is warm enough. I go over the whole base 2-3 times for added penetration (not sure if this helps tbh)

That's what I do - by saying I let the wax solidify I usually find that by the time i've finished at one end, she's solidified at the other so I start again on the 'cool' end.
latest report
Thanks for your help. I warmed skis up on radiator then re ironed skis, whilst fan heater going, left to cool and scraped. Look good now.
ski holidays
hedley wrote:
II wrote:
k1orange wrote:

A credit card Puzzled Puzzled

They are cheap enough to buy new but if you want you can invest in a sharpener

sorry if my humour passed you by... not the first time it's happend...
take a knife to the old scraper or buy a new one or it you really want a cc would actualy do the job.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
II, On reflection about a minute after i posted a reply i did get it Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy