Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK snow: Wales 2011-2012

Poster: A snowHead
SUNDAY 18 DECEMBER 2011

Nerys dropped me off at the Toilets car park just before 10 am to meet up with Alwyn from Friday's turns and Hayduke from the TGR forum who'd driven over from Bristol.

Hayduke was attempting the enviable (and possibly ground breaking) feat of skiing in the am and surfing in the pm in Wales.

Quite a lot of walkers already on the path at that time, and some already up & down and back in the car park. The prognosis? Blowing and snowing and zero visibility.

ArseCaptain and friends from the Snowheads forum were in attendance and skiing the Cefn Crew side.

Ever the optimist I was hoping that the clouds would part, the wind would drop, and we could see how much snow had fallen and been blown in to Cwm Llwch and Cwm Sere.

The steeper faces in the Beacons were getting pounded and loaded.

Alwyn and Hayduke on the way up to Bwlch Duwynt, Fan Fawr in the distance

There was considerably more snow on the ground than yesterday, with from 5cm to 40cm in parts. And on the way up we bumped into Topsmoke from the Snowheads forum.

The higher we got the worse the visibility and the stronger the wind, gusting to gale force at times and nearly knocking you off your feet. The crest of Bwlch Duwynt had been blown bare revealing red sandstone and ice, and the path leading round underneath Corn Du towards Pen-y-Fan had drifts up to 1.5 m in parts.

After postholing up to our knees for what seemed like hundreds of metres but was actually about 75m we decided to turn around and spend our time on the Cefn Crew slopes from whence we came.

I've been out in some pretty wild weather in the mountains of North America, South America, Europe and Asia and for those minutes spent making our decision to turn around and get in to our skis it was as bad as I've ever experienced.

The wind was howling and the spindrift and falling snow was covering us completely in seconds.

I was lucky to get these two pics before the camera was caked in fine, fine snow.

Alwyn and Hayduke sheltering from the blizzard below Corn Du

We skied and shuffled back round to Cefn Crew and made our first run back to the bridge. It was less windy on this side, but the vsibility was no better really.

Hayduke ready to make his first turns in the Brecon Beacons

Alwyn ready to make his first turns in Cefn Crew

First run completed we hiked back up for another. And by the time we got to the bottom the sun made a very brief appearance.

Both runs were great, despite the lack of visibility with powder and packed powder top to bottom. Not a rock was touched!

Alwyn and Hayduke on the slope below Cefn Crew

Alwyn and Hayduke on the slope below Cefn Crew with Fan Fawr in the background

So nixed once again on the bigger prizes of Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan, Cribyn, and Fan-y-Big but an excellent day out in the mountains. And at times today, The Brecon Beacons were most definitely mountains.

Always great to have company and Alwyn & Hayduke were great company. Cheers guys.

On his way to go surfing, Hayduke dropped me off at The Nant Ddu Lodge on the A470 between the Beacons and Merthyr, and Nerys met me for Sunday lunch.

http://www.nant-ddu-lodge.co.uk/

For the gentleman, chargrilled pork loin, brandy & peppercorn sauce, red onions, chips and the best crackling I've had in ages.

And for the lady, a panache of fish - roast monkfish, salmon, prawns and scallop - with lemon & garlic butter and new potatoes.

Both superb. Especially after a morning on the mountain.

If you're in the area lunch and/or dinner is a must. And it would make an excellent base for a couple of days stay.

Whilst I was waiting for Nerys to come over for lunch I read this story on the BBC Wales web site. Rotten luck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-16235480
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow, what a great way to spend a sunday snowHead

sad news in snowdon Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah it was Neilski. Great day out.

And the Snowdon incident can happen all too easily unfortunately.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
amazing - beautiful photography too. Only half an hour -can't wait to give it a go one day soon!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks lbc

Definitely worth a visit and the hike up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not quite Wales, but close. From my walk up last week:

http://youtube.com/v/jrB4o2icxTA
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well played Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MONDAY 19 DECEMBER 2011

After a day of rain in Cardiff I drove up to the Storey Arms to see where the freezing level was and how much damage a day of rain had done to the snowpack.

It had rained until 4pm and rained hard. And washed away a significant amount of snow on the Cefn Crew side.

The cloud line was around 600m so it was anyone's guess whether it had rained or snowed up high.

TUESDAY 20 DECEMBER 2011

Ever the optimist I set off before daybreak to see what was left up high.

After a damp and miserable solo stroll to the summit of Pen-y-Fan I saw...next to nothing.

Looked like a fair bit of snow left on the NE Face, but not enough and not enough visibility to warrant dropping in.

I turned tail, and clicked in on the remaining snow on the Cefn Crew side. The path compacted by hundreds of walkers had spring piste like qualities and ran from Bwlch Duwynt 2/3 of the way back to the bridge.

3...2...1...dropping

What was left downslope on Cefn Crew

The White Ribbon of Death above me

The White Ribbon of Death below me

The piste bashers can be put away for another year

The clouds cleared on my way back to Cardiff and my decision not to attempt the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan was justified.

Cribyn and Pen-y-Fan from the A40

So just four days skiing the Brecon Beacons National Park in 2011. But four days I will remember for the turns made with friends old and new.

Here's hoping that 2012 brings some serious snowfall to S Wales and Chris, AndAnotherThing, Alwyn and Hayduke can get to make turns on Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan, Cribyn and Fan y Big.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good shout Mike Pow. I'm ready and waiting for 2012 snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fingers crossed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Friday 13th. A walk up to the Cadair Berwyn.

I wanted to get a good look at the ground should we be lucky enough to get some more snow. It's a shame that I hadn't trigged the location in previous years as it has to be a good bet for ski touring if conditions allow.

^^ Across from the Moel Sych summit looking out towards Shropshire and Shrewsbury. 820m looking down at the lake, Llyn Lluncaws, 200m below. A good spot for a coffee and croissant Happy

^^ We walked further along the ridge towards Cadair Berwyn and the clouds closed in a tad, but gave a lovely light show. Pistyl Rhaeadr down the valley in the distance.

^^ Looking back towards Cadair Berwyn, the peak at the end of the ridgeline.

^^ After walking the ridge we followed the line around to the East as far as Tomle where we dropped down in the Valley, crossing through the wood. We hikes back up and crossed back towards the lake over the 'col' to the far left of the photo.

If you have a chance to walk this area it is really lovely. Only 2 hours from Birmingham, and motorway almost all the way. Skiing wise it's very promising, lots of steep lines that would need a lot of snow to fill in, but also a lot of relatively smooth grass. Next time it snow's I'll be back.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

Hope the weather cooperates for you.

Hopefully a massive Easter storm materialises (has happened before) and we can make some turns in this area.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers Mike, that would be pretty cool snowHead snowHead When are you off to the land of endless pow ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Already here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84209
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
interesting forecast for the next few days and freezing level could remain low for a week afterwards Happy anyone about
latest report
I've got a pretty busy week Sad
snow report
Let's be having you ladies and gentlemen

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html

Look forward to seeing some TRs
snow report
Is there enough on the ground to make the drive worthwhile ? Anybody local to confirm now Mike is away ?
snow conditions
Topsmoke, I'm in snowdonia and nothing to shout about. Bits of snow on the summits, I'm looking at Cader Idris and there is a light dusting of maybe 75m vertical of the summits inland may be different though. I am sat at sea level!
snow conditions
Hmm I figured it would not be enough as of yet but Sunday night/Monday looks interesting depending on who wins the battle when the warm front and cold air over us currently collide,Mid week may be worth a punt of a proposed day off Very Happy
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, I still think that a late season snowfall might make Banana gully on Y Garn possible.
snow conditions
Met office has now issued a amber warning over the south welsh mountains for snow,
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_forecast_warnings.html

winds will consistently be from the south east, loading north west facing aspects, I think I going to head there first thing on tuesday after check road conditions on the web cams
ski holidays
Spent the w/e in Cefn-Brith just off the A5 after Corwen. Padded round via Foel Goch on Saturday in fine weather. Some snow above about 500m and Berwyns looked white but I suspect there isn't enough to ski on. However, it was snowing when we left so it could get better.
ski holidays
altis, I was near there today coming home from Barmouth. We took the road from the southern end of Lake Bala over to Lake Vrynwy which is the highest road in Wales. This is looking north west and towards Aran Fawddwy.

latest report
Not as much as forecast here at the eastern end of the Beacons. However, this is at 350m, and being as it's raining down in Abergavenny and sleety here (and hasn't stopped since 5pm yesterday), I suspect Pen-y-Fan might be worth a punt. snowHead Visibility is too poor to get a decent idea though, and I've got too much work to go and check it out. rolling eyes
snow report
plenty of snow in merthyr,not enough up brecon though(strangely)and pen y fan car park is closed due to tree cutting.still snowing though.early one tomorrow Very Happy
snow conditions
Hope you get some Flow
snow conditions
My brother took these somewhere in Snowdonia on the 28th. I've asked him where exactly but he hasn't got back to me yet. He's at uni in Bangor so I'd imagine not far from there. Might have to go see him and take my skis! Must be something skiable round there.

Edit: Apparently it's Ffynnon Lloer (bl00dy stupid place name or what... Toofy Grin ). Apparently it was quite icy but they have had a load more since.

I think they were taken more for artiness than to show the snow conditions though...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flying in to Liverpool yesterday (Sunday) and the hills were white over Happy
snow report
Snow arrived a bit late for me - if today had been a Saturday I would've given it a punt.
latest report

From a friend who failed to get to work over towards Tregaron this morning. Roads impassible with normal car / tyres.
snow report
didn't risk the trip today wasn't convinced that snow would be deep enough
latest report
Hi - just joined but confused, none of the above posts appear to be dated so I cannot tell which das/week/month /year they relate too! Is it just me on my tiny laptop?

Am planning a sightseeing daytrip from London to tour the (hopefully snowcapped) Brecon Beacons tomorrow (Wed 1 Feb 2012) but want to be sure there is enough snow over the mountains to make it a worthwhile spectacle.

Any advice info b4 9am Wed would be very much appreciated.
latest report
tonyk, Scroll to the right. All post are dated and timestamped
ski holidays
tonyk, can't give any advice snow wise but, the date of the posts is on the right hand side. There must be a large pic further up the thread that has expanded the page so you'll need to scroll across to see them.

Edit: to add that the dates may also be covered by the advert on the right, that can be removed by clicking on the hard to see minimise button on it's top left.
snow report

This is the latest image from a webcam off the brecon beacons park website,

but depending which valley you go through they may be more than just snow capped as some valleys are 400 meters plus above sea level
snow report
Hi there,

Just back from a trip to the Brecon Beacons this weekend (my first time) ; we did a peak or two near Fan Y Big on Saturday 28th, then we did Pen Y Fan in beautiful falling snow on Sunday 29th. Snow was falling with increasing volume from about 500m as we climbed ; semi heavy at summit. As we descended, it continued to snow right down to the car park [it was such an AMAZING day ; surrounded by snow and families enjoying it, from top to bottom of the mountain ; absolutely awesome!] : Pics

Saturday :
This is all on way to Fan y Big :

Sunday :
Near Corn Du, on way to Pen y Fan:

Pen y Fan - done! (Me smiling outwardly, and inwardly pissed off I didn't have skis for the down!!!)

[PS - pics are with iPhone4 ; I think it's done me proud!]

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 31-01-12 23:36; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Doh! Thanks RobW, eg, for the help - can now see the dates.

Cheers JaMMi, snowkiter - your feedback has done the trick, tomorrow's trip is on. Much appreciated.
snow report
Wow, quite a bit of snow up there.
snow conditions
Took some lovely photos yesterday around Beddgelert Forest around 300-400m high. It was around 3-4" deep powder. Sadly it wasn't deep enough to ski the forest tracks as there is too much gravel underneath.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3124056389911.2151609.1519665322&type=1&l=97aabd4c78

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 1-02-12 20:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy