Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Timeout 2005 Skiing and Snowboarding in Europe (page 4)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Scotland

Cairngorm

Parking

Most people who ski in Cairngorm drive there. There is no resort accomodation within a couple of miles of the pistes. For overnight parking it is better to be away from the slopeside, as the car park is on a slope and so your van will be at an angle all night. There is a campsite nearby by Loch Morlich, and there are free places by the loch too. Across the road from the campsite there is a Forestry commission tourist office, which has a level car park, which is very handy for overnight stops away from the town centre of Aviemore and near the pistes.

In Aviemore, there are plenty of lay-bys near the Tourist information office and a campsite (if it is open). It is usually free or a nominal £1 overnight ticket charge.

Skiing

In the last couple of years there has been a lot of snow. The weather is the main obstacle to skiing here. It gets very windy, and cold. Even in sunny days, it is uncomfortable in the wind. There is not a lot of challenge here for anyone above intermediate, especially if the snow is lacking.

Nightlife

The nightlife in Aviemore, 5 miles + away from the slopes, is about as close to a ski resort nightlife you will get in Scotland. I have never been during a ski season.

Eating in

Tescos is the main supermarket, and fish and chips is the main fast food.

Anything else

There is a swimming pool in the Hilton hotel which is worth a visit one evening. The access roads are usually well cleared and there is good access to this resort.

Glencoe

Parking

There is a large car park at the foot of the first lift. It is level, and often used by campervans for an overnight stop. It is free to park.

Skiing

On a good day, the skiing can be fantastic. It is a very small resort, with only a few lifts. However, there are many nooks and alley ways, which make up the pistes and mean that you really have to do each piste several times before you experience its varied challenges. The wind only really hits you here at the very top, and so is not as bad as Cairngorm for cold. On blue sky days it gets quite warm by the one food hut.

Nightlife

None. There is one cafe/bar at the ski pass sales outlet. I usually take a flask of coffee.

Eating in

If you like pies, and stogy chips, you might like the food. It is not for me.

Anything else

It is well worth a half day or even a full day when the weather is good and the snow is deep (not that often). The access roads are usually well cleared and there is good access to this resort.

Glenshee

Parking

There is a lot of free parking available at Glenshee which is all level and easily accessed. It is suitable for campervans, many of which park overnight near the ticket office. It can be very difficult to get to Glenshee when the snow is good, as the road is narrow, windy, and often very icy and dangerous. The car parks fill up when the weather is good, and afterwards all the cars try to leave at the same time. You will often see cars in ditches on the way back, with more than just a ding on the wing. Waiting until the main traffic has gone, or staying overnight and leaving when there is no traffic is a safer option.

Skiing

When all the lifts are open, and there is a good covering of snow, Glenshee is perhaps the best all round ski area in Scotland. It has something for beginners, intermediates, and experts. (not a lot, but there is still something)

Nightlife

I am not aware of any, and I have stayed overnight at Glenshee in the car park.

Eating in

If you like pies and chips, you will be heaven. The food is cheap, and stodgy. I cook what I take in tins, or get from a supermarket.

Anything else

This is probably the most dangerous ski area to travel to in Scotland due to the narrow access road. A lot of accidents happen on this road, and on the roads surrounding Perth when the ski season erupts.

The Lecht

Parking

There is plenty of free parking, all on level ground at the ski station. There is no resort to speak of. just a couple of cafes/bars.

Skiing

Fairly limited up and down skiing, on not very steep slopes. Good for beginners!

Nightlife

None

Anything else

You are unlikely to find anyone here except learners from Aberdeen, and maybe students from Aberdeen University. There will be lots of children here.

Nevis Range

Parking

The parking is ample and free. It can get busy though, so it is best to get there early if the weather is good. It is possible to spend a night or two here in a campervan. The parking is right next to the ski lift station.

Skiing

Some of the most challenging skiing in Scotland is available here. The Back corries are an unpisted area where, when the weather is right, there is some large drops to get to a very steep expanse. The rest of the ski area is good for warming up, before you drop off the back.

Nightlife

There is some nightlife in Fort William, however it is not a ski resort form of nightlife. In other words, locals go out here too! The ski lifts are a few miles outside of Fort William.

Eating in

The cafe here is slightly more upmarket than any of the other Scottish Ski resorts. You are verging on obtaining something which might not cause a cholesterol induced heart attack.

Anything else

The access roads are usually well cleared and there is good access to this resort.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/snowheads-personal-galleries/p24181-glencoe-looking-west.html

The above link is a picture I took from the top of Glencoe ski area looking west.

Shocked

Below are the back corries of Nevis range

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

A lesser known ski hill in Scotland, Ben Ledi December 2017.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

A couple of images from a long day skiing in Glenshee in 2008.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

5/3/2020 A more recent picture of Glencoe ski area
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy