Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European school holidays 2011-2012

Poster: A snowHead

Click for bigger picture

Source: http://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2010/11/23/vac-scol-11-12/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-10-11 20:02; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The German ones are an "educated guess" and wrong for week 1 (31/12 to 7/01) and no mention of the Austrian or Swiss schools. The German ones are published but are subject to change up to the start of the new school year then they are fixed.

I'll hunt out the lists for Austria and Germany and post them at a date closer to their being certain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
School holdidays in Austria 2012:

midterm
vienna and the neighbouring province,
lower Austria 4.2.2012- 11.2.2012
salzburg, tryrol, Vorarlberg, carinthia 11.2.2012-18.2.2012
upper Austria, Stryia 18.2.2012-25.2.2012

christmas/new years holdidays 24.12.2011-7.01.2012

Avoid the week 18.2.2012 to 25.02.2012 when the Bavarians have school holidays. This is the most busy week during the season except new the week over the new years day. And dolomites are not an alternative (CH and FR would be better if there are no holidays)

When the residents of the capital city have school holidays just go the western part if AT (tyrol except kitzbuehel and vorarlberg)

m.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have the French begun to stagger theirs more in recent years? They seem to be getting harder to avoid - I don't remember them lasting that long into March before.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think those French ones are right, either, so looks like this is an unreliable source.

cocoyan, welcome to snowheads. snowHead the French don't necessarily get more holidays - schools will only get one of those four February/March weeks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The French ones are given by the Ministry of Education here:
http://www.education.gouv.fr/print_calendrier_v2.php
..and they look the same to me.

cocoyan is just another spammer Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

..and they look the same to me.

altis, you're dead right, and I must have got my dates from another dodgy site.....I don't think I'm the only one as I've seen a reference elsewhere on snowheads about the English half term not coinciding with one of the French weeks this coming season..... I never ski any of those weeks, so hadn't looked very hard but gave some duff advice to somebody thinking of driving to Tignes yesterday! Must correct it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajrduff wrote:
Have the French begun to stagger theirs more in recent years? They seem to be getting harder to avoid - I don't remember them lasting that long into March before.

I seem to remember the French used only A & B way back in the early 80s but then moved to A,B&C.
Each letter has always come out for 2 weeks plus travel days, and they have always overlapped.

What seems to have changed is they no longer start in the first full week of February, they have slipped back a week and now start in the second full week of February.
That means they finish a week later into March.

I don't mind that because I normally start out in France as soon as the French school holidays begin.
It gives me an extra week in France before going to German speaking resorts once the French flood begins.

A full 6 weeks on the French motorways should wake my legs up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From experience the busiest week in February is the week which covers 15th February, the following week is also quite busy but not as crazy as the first. This year the busy February week is 11.02 - 18.02.12.
The last two weeks of January and the first week of February are consistently quiet weeks giving quality skiing and great value for money. If you haven't got kids which means you aren't stuck to school holidays it's ideal.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swiss school holidays (The february holiday is for Basel, it can vary from Canton to Canton as it is tied to Fasnacht.)
18th Feb - 3rd March
Easter 31st march to 14th April.

February is always the busy month in Swiss resorts and prices are highest but since I am a teacher I am stuck with it. Still I don't work Mondays so can't complain too much.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Italian Carnavale 18th - 24th Feb a busy week with Italians... is this year thank fully, the week after or English half-term period and prices rise in most Italian resorts for the Carnavale period.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
YES! I agree this! 'Avoid the week 18.2.2012 to 25.02.2012 when the Bavarians have school holidays.
This is the most busy week during the season except new the week over the new years day.
And dolomites are not an alternative (CH and FR would be better if there are no holidays) "
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
January and March seem the best months in which to ski in France and to avoid the School holiday Masses c/w Brats
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cc_7up, the first half of March (roughly) is generally French school hols.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh Christ - I wish I'd seen this before I booked Sauze d'Oulx 18th - 25th March..... That'll be a whole week of highly skilled Italian teenagers overtaking me on every run then... Sad
snow report
Happy as Larry there are no French holidays on 31st March - 7th April. Laughing
latest report
garethjomo, that's right - Easter is generally a really good time to ski in France; nice long days, usually the snow is fine (last season was pretty awful late on, but that was unusual) and no French school holidays! It knocks half term into a cocked hat.
ski holidays
Hands up here as another numpty who should have checked this before booking... Grand Massif 5-8th March for me, which perhaps won't be too bad with only one of the French zones off. And I always thought I was safe in Jan and March
ski holidays
Can anyone advise just how busy, or not, the larger and higher French resorts will be in that mid week of April, ie 14-21 April, as am thinking of a week prob in Tignes ahead of traipsing over for the EoSB...which I am guessing will be in Val T again. Looks like some of the French schools are off that week, but other nations' nippers back in their schools...
latest report
I can only go 18th-25th Feb. Where's best place to head and key places to avoid??
snow conditions
It's going to be busy with hols in Italy, France, Austria and Switzerland....
snow conditions
My theory is that as I'm driving to Flachau (10-18/2) I will use the car to ski at the other smaller resorts in the area, Flachauwinkl, Zauchensee, Radstadt etc. I'm hoping that they will be less crowded than Flachau itself.
snow report
is there one of these for 2012/13 out yet?
snow report
Google can't find one yet. Try again in May:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eric+bonnel+vacances+scolaires

French ones are already up:
http://www.education.gouv.fr/print_calendrier_v2.php?zone=&annee1=9
snow conditions
I was driving back up through Switzerland on Saturday 18th Feb after spending a fantastic weeks skiing in the Aosta valley Italy.....and noted from Lake Geneva on the E27/12 from the Lake up towards Berne and on past this was a constant queue of traffic, it must of measured 40 miles plus of stop-start traffic! The majority of it looked like the Dutch who had seemed to vacated their homeland! The previous week we had travelled down this road at roughly the same time (midday ..ish) with no traffic. So it is definately worthwhile knowing when the European half term holiday is and avoid travelling on the Saturday's it involves.
snow report
Anyone know when the 2012/13 holidays are? I'm off for a school ski trip to Salzburgerland in Feb 2013 and have a range of dates I could use; I want ot make sure I don;t have to queue at the lifts, queue on the motorway, queue at the bar.... Smile
snow report
German 2012/2013 Holidays are here - http://www.schulferien.org/Schulferien_nach_Schuljahren/2012_2013/2012_2013.html
ski holidays
Easter Sunday Dates for the next 5 years!

April 8

March 31

April 20

April 5

March 27

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/uk/easter-sunday#obs
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy