Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with visors

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Les Carroz where my new Bolle with visor work perfectly, in both bright sunshine (4 days) and snow storms.

It didn't steam up, fitted over my glasses, gave good periferal vision, kept the wind out of my eyes, basicly worked a treat.

I wont ski with out it.

Cool Cool Cool
Cool Cool Cool
Cool Cool Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Wood741, very useful thanks, I haven't tried one yet, but I still think they are the answer for us specs wearers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't read the whole thread but I'm a spectacle wearer who has had an OBSE visor helmet for 3 years.
As far as I'm concerned it's f'ing brilliant.

That's all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Read a bit more of the thread.

I wear vari focals and can no longer wear contacts for medical reasons.

I wear the smoked visor all the time and when I hit shade or flat light I lift it. I've never found any advantage in an orange visor over clear glass as I have in my specs.

Over and out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf,

my thoughts as well.. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome, you guys crack on!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Wood741 wrote:
Just back from Les Carroz where my new Bolle with visor work perfectly, in both bright sunshine (4 days) and snow storms.

It didn't steam up, fitted over my glasses, gave good periferal vision, kept the wind out of my eyes, basicly worked a treat.

I wont ski with out it.

Cool Cool Cool
Cool Cool Cool
Cool Cool Cool

Thank you loads for that post.

I have worn a normal helmet with goggles for two seasons and now just don't bother to go out if the lights bad or the weather is lousy (the benefits of being in resort for the whole season Embarassed )

Goggles steam up and I've never found a comfortable pair. I've now found that I do need glasses for distance (might help see the bumps in the snow coming up Laughing ) and so have been thinking about getting a helmet with a visor (I ride a motorbike so am used to dealing with glasses under a lid)

Soooo - having seen your post, I think I best go find somewhere to try some on Smile Cheers
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Reba, Interesting first post Happy welcome to snowHead are you perchance a sock?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A couple of the guys at the Birthday Bash in Feb had these, for all intense and purposes they are very practical and comfortable, was even tempted to get one myself.. made me remember an 80's cartoon show -

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kelv1n, I used to love BOTP when I was a kid - every Saturday morning without fail. Mark was such a dream boat once transmuted LOL Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm thinking about getting these as I've a medical problem where I suffer from nosebleeds and I'm trying to avoid the kind of pressure that ski goggles put on the upper nose.

Might look a bit of a cock but WTF. It's either this or go back to bobble hat and sun glasses or even worse become a fair weather skier only.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alan1974, if it works for you...

But my goggles put prcatically no pressure on my face.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, really ? can you recommend a good set of goggles that may relieve any kind of pressure on the upper nose. I've just been reading that these nasal snoring strips may help as well.

I'd love to sort this if I could

Regards
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These all in one helmet/visors are perfect if you are visually challenged and have complicated prescriptions for glasses, like me. Not sure I give a t0ss what others think about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Alan1974, I have Smith I/O
latest report
@Alan1974, I had some Scott OTG goggles that had an adjustable fit which allowed you to raise the bridge - that solved the problem I had with pressure on my (big) nose. My new Oakley Flight Decks seem fine too.
For me at least, goggles are something that need to be tried in store
snow report
Quote:

These all in one helmet/visors are perfect if you are visually challenged and have complicated prescriptions for glasses, like me. Not sure I give a t0ss what others think about it.

@JWillsnowhead,
I don't particularly like the visored helmets but in the situation you describe I'd definitely wear one. TBH I'm all for form following function and they look highly functional for a spec wearer who can't get on with contacts.
snow report
Alexandra wrote:
Disadvantages: People will call you Alex Murphy.
Advantages: Nobody will know it's you.

Don't recall Alex ever playing rugby in a helmet. Could have used one when his chairman threw the phone at him though !!
latest report
@JWillsnowhead, I am with you, wish I hadn't just bought a new helmet. Can justify another new one yet but when I do I will be trying one of these. I have thought about the goggle inserts but that would mean me having to carry around a pair of specs for when I take goggles off.
ski holidays
I know I'm a bit out of season but just looking ahead. I've been wearing a Bolle visor helmet for 3 seasons now and for convenience, peripheral vision and wearing varifocals I swear by it...that is until it rains or snows...then I swear at it... water runs down inside the visor. Can anybody recommend a brand that that doesn't have that problem....I'm due an upgrade for next season.
latest report
Never had a problem with my Bolle. Does the visor fit correctly? snowHead
snow conditions
The fit is good but there is no rubber seal between the front of the helmet and visor. I tried to make one for it, it's better than nothing, but only just.
The model of it is Backline
ski holidays
I got one and loved it but after serious p**s take from the kinder didn't wear it last season. After reading the above I'm getting it out of the attic for next season as they are the bees knees for function. Anyway got p**s taken out of me by kids for helmet and shades look as well so no change there!
Also my visor has a whistlinhg noise that increases with speed which is very very cool! 😎
latest report
Doccam wrote:
Also my visor has a whistling noise that increases with speed which is very very cool! 😎

Ah, a bit like the old Stuka dive bomber then. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, YES! New product is born! Helmet mounted air-siren - all we need is a suitably sized air dam, pipework and a whistle/kazoo/duck-call. PROFIT!
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, great idea, shall we start crowd funding it? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I think its our duty... clearly a safety item
latest report
Reba wrote:
Interesting range of perspectives on this thread ... I ski in sunglasses because I find having something on my face almost claustrophobic and if I had to do it I think I'd probably have to stop skiing.

I know this feeling and I never used to wear a helmet because they made me feel claustrophobic. It's a strange phenomenon as I often work in confined spaces and I find that OK, but having my ears covered really freaked me out when I first put a helmet on, so I didn't do it again for quite some time.

Then I found a helmet which worked for me. And goggles which worked for me. The helmet earpads are really well vented, so once they've been on 5 minutes I don't notice the helmet anymore. And the goggles are so wide that I can't see the frames. So again, once my eyes adjust to the light through the goggles, I'm barely aware I'm wearing them.

I'm not necessarily trying to sway you, but I am saying - give it a go. Maybe the goggles you tried just weren't the right ones for you. Once I found the right helmet and goggles, the problem went away.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy