Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video Camera

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could anyone suggest a good video camera for use on a ski trip. Looking to get one any help would be great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would suggest solid state with a moderate zoom. Something small you can put in your pocket which won't hurt if you fall on it and won't be too bulky.

I've just got a < 100 quid Panasonic Lumix FP1, here is some sample (non ski) footage

http://youtube.com/v/z7EKAeCG-NQ

Main point: records in Motion JPEG. This is much easier to edit than AVCHD but uses a lot more memory and the fact that it uses individual JPEG frames means that compression artifacts from frame to frame are more visible than with AVCHD which smooths these out. AVCHD is not so good where there is a lot of movement.

If you want the dogs bollox get a Panasonic GH2 with the AVC/MJPEG hack which produces broadcast quality output.

Longshan's People Part II from Andrew Reid
http://vimeo.com/12472000
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some great results from the Gopro on our last trip - small enough that everyone basically forgot it was there. Until they crashed. Spectacularly. And you could hear the laughter of the cameraman Smile

Reasonably priced, considering one for next season. Ideal for Youtube stuff, but the quality does seem to be good enough for high def stuff.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depending on how much you want to spend...we bought a Canon HF-S21 HD Camcorder a couple of months ago. It uses solid state and/or SDHC Cards for both movie and stills. Have used it in Tignes earlier this month with good results. I've been using it with automatic settings which seem to cope very well in bright snow conditions. It is more rounder than other camcorders but can still fit in my jacket pocket. I've fallen over with no adverse side effects too!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bit of snow footage from the FP1 today, ok its cross country

http://youtube.com/v/zVjIUvtSdPY

85 quid with free delivery

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=10166
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a gopro HD, which i am yet to use skiing, but last year used a sanyo xacti CA9 to good effect. Was an up right design so perfect to hold whilst skiing. I also have another bullet camera type thing that records onto a hard drive which im selling if your interested - drop me a PM. that was pretty good also
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got a little Veho Muvi which I used last year, quality is YouTube sufficient, but thats about it. Can be clipped onto a rucksack strap, helmet or whereever you like. I've got a Toshiba Camileo for hand-holding this year as well which is definitely better quality, but small and cheap enough that I can pocket it and not worry if I end up bailing onto it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy