Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

go pro pole/roll cage mount

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm wanting to purchase this go pro mount with the aim of being able to attach it to my ski pole, just wondering if it will actually fit around a ski pole or not?
anyone have any experience?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOPRO-RIDE-HERO-BIKE-MOUNT-KIT-GO-PRO-HERO-CAMERAS-/130464180074?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item1e6045676a#ht_842wt_905

Need to order it tonight Confused

George
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't used it personally but it will easily be big enough and if it doesn't close tight enough you can just shim it out with something like a bit of bike inner tube or something.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have Salomon Patrol Ski Poles

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Salomon_Patrol_Ski_Poles_2011__black.html

I also have the Ride Go Pro mount like the one in your link. If I want to mount it right at the end of my Ski pole it does require me to use a shim, The bike inner tube idea El Nombre gave is a good idea, I will have to try that.

When I was looking there wasn't any better pole mounting options for thinner poles so the ride mount with a shim was the best option I could find. Let me know if anyone else is aware of any better mounting options for ski poles though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just checked and anything further than about half way down my pole requires a shim to stop it slipping about. Getting it on is no problem as there is a gap in the plastic on side to let one of the screws be removed so you can get it on the pole before tightening it up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Use the bike handle bar mount. It goes smaller, the roll cage mount is quite wide.

I've bolted mine to a walking pole using that, works fine, with a bit of rubber packing around it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
milnerhome, as hang11, says the handle bar mount will be a better fit. However I'd question why you want to mount it on the pole. I think this will make for very strange footage due to the continual movement of the pole whilst skiing. in my opinion a better position would be 1 of the following 4 options.

1 - Helmet mount (of course this means you need to wear a helmet, but the elaticated helmet strap would sit quite comfortable on a thick beanie. This would however increase the chance of the beanie coming off at speed and would be inherently dangerouse in a crash.

2- Chest strap mount - comforable, secure but again a forward faceplant would potentially mean a gopro embedded in the chest.

3 - (and my personal suggestion) - Use a helmet strap and mount it too you ski boots facing forward. This would give a nice view over the front of the ski's

4 - Use a suction mount and mount it on the ski either facing forwards or back towards yourself. - Nb the suction cups are really really strong (i've used them mounted on the outside of vehicles at well over 100mph) but not sure how they'd cope with deep snow.

The mounting position will depend on what sort of footage you are after.

Regards
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1,
Ian Provo 5D Mark II skiing 2009 from The Provo Bros
http://vimeo.com/4636468
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1,

I already have a helmet mount, I'm just trying to produce an interesting webisode of my trip which differs from the normal Helmet cam footage.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/gopro-mounts-part-2-2010.html might be of interest. Obviously the frame mounts are of no use as a skier but if you don't mind looking ridiculous the swivelling cam can make for some pretty interesting footage.

You could also try this if you can work out how the guy has managed to do it. http://vimeo.com/11314437
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
el nombre, Your a pinkbike user? check out my trailer Wink
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/172047/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, mixing it up with the Canadian teenager gnarcore crowd. Saw the vid the other day, looks good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scotia, Love the video link but I suspect the footage shot across the skier is hand held using 1 pole only.

Remember this footage is shot specifically and very heavily edited if you had the pole in your hand with the camera mounted the tendancy would be to use the pole and this would create some strange shots.

milnerhome, As I mentioned try a mount on the boot or on the ski if you're not skiing deep powder, perhaps even (if you have them) 2 cameras and then merge the images into picture in picture or split screen.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1 wrote:
milnerhome, as hang11, says the handle bar mount will be a better fit. However I'd question why you want to mount it on the pole. I think this will make for very strange footage due to the continual movement of the pole whilst skiing.

Footage comes out great on a pole.

Although I snowboard, so don't use the pole for anything other than shooting video. This was shot with the camera mounted to the end of a fairly solid monopod, but it doesn't shake, comes out looking pretty good. I found that the helmet mount gives fairly average footage - lots of looking around etc.

Here's some pole mounted footage I shot back in July

http://youtube.com/v/Mvc9FUoTBqc

Best fun I've had with it is putting the suction cup mount on a 4wd and giving it the full beans.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11, is that the HD GoPro or just the normal one?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1,

boot mount, that would just be covered in snow constantly and in terms of a ski mount.. lets just say that I know a few people that have lost their go pro due to crossing tips in powder.
snow report
Hd but downsized for web. Quality is great at full size on a hd screen
snow report
hang11, good footage but and this isn't a criticism of your riding but this is all relatively low speed.

I can't see that working if going at speed down bumps, steep or deep. It could be possible on piste at speed but feel you'd have to resort to a single pole to ensure safety and give you the ability to change angles during the run. Not saying it can't be done just see it as being particularly challenging and risks the odd impaling on the ski pole accident.

milnerhome, in deeper stuff of piste I agree the boot might get covered, but in reality how many of us in europe are skiing in boot deep powder every day. Sure they happen. Agree with losing camera crossing tips in powder and in powder unless you're really keeping those tips up and floating nicely the camera would be near useless apart from a few artistic cut through shots. But if its fast on piste video the OP is after then this should be relatively safe camera wise.
snow report
Ansta, check out 3.12 on
All.I.Can. Official Teaser from Sherpas Cinema
http://vimeo.com/16442800 Admittedly we're not all as good as Mike Douglas but i'm not sure it would be quite as hard as you might think to get reasonable footage.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:

I can't see that working if going at speed down bumps, steep or deep. It could be possible on piste at speed but feel you'd have to resort to a single pole to ensure safety and give you the ability to change angles during the run. Not saying it can't be done just see it as being particularly challenging and risks the odd impaling on the ski pole accident.

I snapped the pole in half a couple of weeks later, falling over at TC going a bit quicker Very Happy

Not so sure I'd be that keen on going too crazy or doing anything too challenging whilst holding a 5ft long pole out in front of me either.
latest report
el nombre, that's not a pole he's using it's an expensive steadicam hand mount or something similar plus look at his camera arm (it's pretty rigid and stable) I know for sure I couldn't ski that steep and deep with one arm nailed out like that. I agree we can all potentially get these type of shots if we are good enough skiers (i'm not) and most and more importantly have the time and money to spend on heli lifts or snowmobile drags back up to get 'the shot' or many days doing the same runs to find the best lines and shots.
ski holidays
ansta1, pretty sure that's not a steadicam. Steadicams work on a fairly high degree of smooth movement needed which he certainly isn't doing there.

Looks like a pole to me, that's how the effect would come out.

I think using a gopro on a pole is a massive one trick pony but it does it's trick pretty damn well.
snow conditions
ansta1,

You seem to be over complicating this pole mount quite a bit, he's not using a steadycam.. he's using a ski pole, and I can't imagine it being that difficult.
ski holidays
milnerhome, Spikyhedgehog, I'm not over complicating the mount. A pole mount will work quite well but requires a skilled skier or border to operate at speed or over difficult terrain and carries risks plus also to get high quality footage may require several runs which are then edited into a short final cut. I'm a qualified steadicam user and whilst this may not be a steadicam or similar model in my experience the footage shown is likely to be an engineered solution and not merely a camera on a pole. Steadicams (other models are available Happy) operate in different ways depending on the model and the setup. Also what is not known is if the footage is post production stabilised.

Again not trying to over complicate just providing my experience. I think we need to go back to the original OP and clarify what he's after in terms of footage and then we can offer suggestions as to mounting options to get the footage he's after.
latest report
ansta1, I'm an amateur film maker myself so I do have a bit of knowledge in the post production and cinematography world.. albeit it being a limited knowledge. I hate to say it but you really are over-complicating the process of gaining the footage we are talking about, if you can prove that people are using a form of steadicam to mount a go pro too then fair enough, but I can assure you that I know of no one at all who uses such a method as I speak to webisode produces quite frequently to help me produce better quality footage.
In terms of post production stabilisation. It is available to use, but personally I believe the results it produces are not good enough to warrant it's use.

I ordered the handlebar mount and it arrived in the post today, will let you know how I get on.
snow report
ansta1, Have a clip from a camera with an optical image stabilizer snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/hdMqhwq0LUQ
snow conditions
clearly I stand corrected. But I certainly couldn't ski that deep, that fast with one arm out front like the above clip. well done, I'll shut up and go back to my beer...
. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy