Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose my first skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Since I learned to ski in 2006 I've always rented skis, but am going to Whistler for 4 weeks in January so now seems a good time to bite the bullet. Had looked into buying once we get there - new or used - but the new prices are scary and we've decided we don't really want to faff around looking for skis when we could be up the mountain. Especially since I'm not really good enough to be fussy and my wife (who is much better than I am) knows exactly what she wants.

So. I'm a level 5 or 6 depending on whether I've had my Weetabix or not, currently ski 80% on piste but would like to venture off piste more - which is inevitable in Whistler anyway. I'm 6 foot 1, 70kg without gear. Would like something that will take me anywhere, be a relaxed ride when I want to cruise, and rewarding when I want to push (not asking for much, then).

I've been considering the following:

Dynastar Legend Sultan 80 - rented Legend 4800s in Les Arcs this year and loved them

K2 Shockwave - great reviews, good price and my wife swears by K2 (she'll be getting some Lotta Luvs)

Head i.Peak 78 - good reviews and prices, seems to be a ski I could progress with

Would appreciate any opinions, other recommendations, etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get the Sultan 85's, awesome skis. Still carve really well on piste with good edge hold, very versatile off. As well as being fatter than the 80's, they are also stiffer, which makes them better at speed on piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, most of the reviews I've read suggest that the Sultan 85s will be too much ski for me. And they're too expensive, I'm not going to pay more than £500.

I had a chat to a sales guy at Ellis Brigham who recommended the Atomic Nomad Blackeye Ti, also a tad on the expensive side but a proper go-anywhere ski and impressively lightweight. They're pretty stiff, though, a little further reseach suggests I might be better off with Nomad Smoke Tis.

The Ellis Brigham guy also recommended Fischer Watea 78s, not a ski I'd previously considered.

Think I might flip a coin...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love my Sultans (85's,) much more verstile than the 80's but I also need the stiffer ski.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ajrduff. Have you tried Severnsports? They seem to be cheaper than Brighams (Isn't everyone???). I think their Atomic skis are £324 with bindings, don't think they are the Ti though. They have the Head 74's on at £270 and the 78's at £345.

I'm in a similar situation as yourself. Am now considering purchasing own skis and really don't know what to choose. After visiting Severn on Sunday, I've narrowed it down either the Atomics or Head. I skied an Atomic Whiteout last year and feel they were the best skis I've ever hired. That's why I am looking at Atomic. The Heads were recommended by the guy in the shop. Sound like a very good buy. Just cannot decide which to go for Puzzled rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't actually buy skis from Brighams or Snow and Rock - they just happen to have big, conveniently located shops with lots of gear to look at. Thanks for the Severnsports tip, that's a good price for the Head 78s. Cheapest I've seen, in fact.

Filarinskis have the Smoke Tis for £387 which I'd pick over the standard Smokes - I want a ski to progress on, so they're a bit too intermediate-oriented for me.

It's fun deliberating over all the different specs and prices, but I suspect that any of them will do the job, really. They're all good skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sultan 85' - £499 inc bindings + delivery http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Dynastar_Legend_Sultan_85_Skis___PX12_Bindings_2011.html

Seriously, they're not that pushy. Whilst I may be a better skier than you I'm also smaller, and I used them for teaching (beginners) with no problems. Just gave them to my Dad, who is a pretty typical intermediate, and he prefers them to all the hire skis he's had before. They really do fit your criteria perfectly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajrduff wrote:

It's fun deliberating over all the different specs and prices, but I suspect that any of them will do the job, really. They're all good skis.

Decisions decisions. It is fun looking for sure, gets me out of doing mass DIY Toofy Grin . Hope you find what you want.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tried the watea 78 and 84, v nice skis. I ended up buying K2 rictor though, which I had not even considered until I tried, really enjoyed them, def worth a test if u get chance.

Only heard good things about sultans and smoke/nomad so I'm sure they would be great as well.

Choices choices Toofy Grin Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okay, after a little more research I'm half-convinced about the Sultan 85s, and have seen them for under £500 in a couple of places.

Does anyone have any advice on length? I'm getting a lot of conflicting information because I'm tall (183cm) and light (71kg). According to the length charts (such as you might find in the Snow and Rock brochure), around 170cm is right. I skied Legend 4800s at 172cm in Les Arcs this year, and was happy on them.

But a couple of ski technicians have suggested I go longer, and I've seen a lot of threads on here recommending the same to other people with a similar dilemma. I've never skied anything as long as 178cm - but am still developing and will be skiing for 4 weeks this season. Help!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Get 178, 6cms doesn't make that much difference, may take an hour or two to get used to it. The extra length will really help offpiste though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After much deliberation - I came very close to buying a pair of Sultan 85s - I've decided not to buy. At least not yet.

We'll rent for the first week in Whistler and see how it goes. I'll do some demos, try a couple of different rental skis, maybe even buy a pair of used skis from the clearance centre.

But I always come back to the same issues: I'd rather have the freedom of trying different skis at will, swapping if the conditions change, etc. And I'm not sure I can be bothered with the faff/cost of having to transport, service and store my own skis.

I am going to look into some new boots, because I got mine after my first trip, as a virtual beginner, and have moved on since then.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy